• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

Lime

Wow, it's already up to 950k.

Just bumped my pledge to $125 + 15 for shipping. Can't say no to those goodies.

The new stuff in the FAQ is good as well, races and classes confirmed.

Post 1 million, I want more of those, races at the least. Though I'd guess further editor spiffying and maybe whatever the runner up city vote winds up being if they can really shoot past it.

Give it a target that finally has lots of pieces in sequential order SR team!

mclem

Yeah, that $125 tier is at a perfect sweet spot to tempt people to upgrade, and you can see that in how much of an impact it's had so quickly. I'm about to go to bed; I would not be surprised if it hit a million before I woke up.

Yep:

Races: human, elf, dwarf, ork and troll. You can't do Shadowrun without them.

Roles: Street Samurai, Mage, Shaman, Rigger, Decker. Perhaps after the game comes out, we can add more.

Even at this baseline, it looks to thoroughly trump the Genesis game alone---really that's my grand measuring stick, how far beyond the logical progressions of the Genesis game they can take it despite what I'd imagine to be a far smaller team and smaller budget than the Genesis game had back then.

Vampires would be spiffy, they were talented jerks at times for the random events.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Yep:

Even at this baseline, it looks to thoroughly trump the Genesis game alone---really that's my grand measuring stick, how far beyond the logical progressions of the Genesis game they can take it despite what I'd imagine to be a far smaller team and smaller budget than the Genesis game had back then.

Physical Adept maybe in the future as DLC.

This Linux thing sounds like a massive waste of money that could instead have been put into the game.

This argument is always used when one group does not want a proposed feature. They always say that "that money could have been put into the game".

Except that argument is flawed, since nobody knows what exactly would be cut - if anything. Especially in Kickstarter's case, where they outline specifically what the money will be used for. So, basically, what you end up saying is "spending money to port it to Linux would take money away from porting it to Linux".

mclem

Yeah, that $125 tier is at a perfect sweet spot to tempt people to upgrade, and you can see that in how much of an impact it's had so quickly. I'm about to go to bed; I would not be surprised if it hit a million before I woke up.

I wasn't *quite* right. 3.5k short.

Zeliard

I find myself intrigued to hear what their next funding goal will entail. :p

Their updates have been simply fantastic so far.

One Million Dollars!!! (we seriously need a thread title change)

Also new reward level added... Special edition boxed version..

Link

Today, we’re announcing a new reward level for our Kickstarter. At the brand new $125 level, you’ll get a Shadowrun Returns Deluxe Box Edition including the game disc, soundtrack disc, a mini-poster, and—check this—a Shadowrun Returns USB Dog Tag set, containing DRM-free versions of the game (PC/Mac/Linux) and soundtrack (and maybe one or two other surprises, too).

shadowrun_returns_usb_dogtag.jpg

Okay, that’s it for now. Check our FAQ, BTW. We just added some new stuff for you. As we get closer to the $1M mark (seriously?), we’re already hearing people asking us what’s next. We’ll talk about that in our next video update.

HBS

Excellent....now I wonder when the next update will land-----I would guess later today instead of Monday given they've apparently at least sort of got something in mind perhaps moreso this time around than last given the pace things have taken to.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
i couldn't resist anymore and backed with 15$, i hope this turns out well...

The second city has to be Tokyo, come on...

as a german i'm all for berlin :)

it was really awesome back in the day when the two "Deutschland in den Schatten" (German Sourcebook) books got released, my teenager mind was blown away by the fact that there was a sourcebook about the country i live in...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
$125 seems like a lot for that, as nice as it looks.

And I feel anything near $60 should include a box, just not deluxe.

Sticking to the $15 for now. Maybe $30 later. Although it sounds like a cheat.

How will they enable/disable those extra skills and things based on if you're a backer or not, the game won't require online authentication or something, right? Since it's DRM free. Specially packaged exes for backers?

The second city has to be Tokyo, come on...

I don't think adventuring in the capital of the Japanese Empire would be as fun as you imagine it would be in the world of Shadowrun. Perhaps L.A. as a compromise? You have Keiji Saito and the Japan created California Protectorate in San Francisco, Pueblo Corporate Council in control (having recently seized the city), the on-going battle for the Mojave Desert (PPC, the Utes, Anasazi tribes, Aztlan, Megacorps, independent prospectors, and native spirits and elementals in an all out Battle Royale as the desert is a very rich source of mana and magical materials), and the Tir Tairngire border war as major local elements.

Personally I want Chicago.

DTKT

$125 seems like a lot for that, as nice as it looks.

And I feel anything near $60 should include a box, just not deluxe.

Sticking to the $15 for now. Maybe $30 later. Although it sounds like a cheat.

How will they enable/disable those extra skills and things based on if you're a backer or not, the game won't require online authentication or something, right? Since it's DRM free. Specially packaged exes for backers?

I would up my pledge to 60 if it meant a boxed copy. 125 is just a bit too high. :|

That's some FANTASTIC art posted on the kickstarter page. You know from all the big 3 kickstarters (Double Fine's, Fargo's and Weisman's) this one has the best updates.

I would up my pledge to 60 if it meant a boxed copy. 125 is just a bit too high. :|

A lower tier pledge with just the USB dog tag containing a copy of the DRM free version of the game on it would be cool enough for me. but yeah, there needs to be a separate boxed copy.

I don't think adventuring in the capital of the Japanese Empire would be as fun as you imagine it would be in the world of Shadowrun. Perhaps L.A. as a compromise? You have Keiji Saito and the Japan created California Protectorate in San Francisco, Pueblo Corporate Council in control (having recently seized the city), the on-going battle for the Mojave Desert (PPC, the Utes, Anasazi tribes, Aztlan, Megacorps, independent prospectors, and native spirits and elementals in an all out Battle Royale as the desert is a very rich source of mana and magical materials), and the Tir Tairngire border war as major local elements.

They could tie it in with the Sega CD game that's getting a fan translation.

A lower tier pledge with just the USB dog tag containing a copy of the DRM free version of the game on it would be cool enough for me. but yeah, there needs to be a separate boxed copy.

I think they made the right choice. The reward was hefty enough to tempt people to upgrade, and $125 was big enough to give a major boost to the Kickstarter. A lower-priced boxed tier would probably result in a lot of people lowering their pledges. Myself included.

They could tie it in with the Sega CD game that's getting a fan translation.

That was based more on the licensed manga than the cannon PnP setting (where Japan is depicted as an aggressive expansionist militaristic Empire), I don't know how much of that they would even know about, let alone be able to call on.

I think they made the right choice. The reward was hefty enough to tempt people to upgrade, and $125 was big enough to give a major boost to the Kickstarter. A lower-priced boxed tier would probably result in a lot of people lowering their pledges. Myself included.

You may be right, but I wasn't suggesting that they remove the special edition box set. Just add another tier with maybe just the box on it's own. Or a separate USB tier.

mavs

I kinda don't want to see another US/CA city, but Chicago would probably be great for a second (less fleshed-out) location.

They released a new video. 1.5 million reward is a backer exclusive story arc that brings back Jake and Joshua from the SNES and GEN games.

So hyped.

They released a new video. 1.5 million reward is a backer exclusive story arc that brings back Jake and Joshua from the SNES and GEN games.

So hyped.

WTF?!! AWESOME! $1.5 is easy as pie with as much time as they have. This kind of stuff would very likely NEVER have happened under a publisher. Cool shit for them to recognize that SRR has a lot of backers only familiar with the Genny and SNES games, as if it wasn't obvious enough from comments all around.

Eh, I have some eyebrow-raised misgivings over their 1.5M plan---really not keen on that degree of "pre-order exclusive" stuff as it seems more of a carrot laced with stick than a proper carrot as has been the case thus far. Whatever they had in mind for beyond 1.5, at whatever brackets, I can't help but think they'd be better off with that a 1.5 instead----really this seems like the sort of thing that shouldn't happen unless they've literally ran out of things to do and even then it shouldn't be backer-exclusive to the detriment of folks down the line.

I'd say this is there first genuinely rough bit to take away from this project, save for maybe the general notion of "launching a Kickstarter when you are in the middle of super-crunch mode on something else? Rather tricky..."

This is just me though, I'm still more bitter than even I can explain that yet again the mark is another 500K out versus some sort of nifty assortment. I can see where they are coming from in the video to a point, but this feels like one hell of a tangent.

cj_iwakura

Eh, I have some eyebrow-raised misgivings over their 1.5M plan---really not keen on that degree of "pre-order exclusive" stuff as it seems more of a carrot laced with stick than a proper carrot as has been the case thus far. Whatever they had in mind for beyond 1.5, at whatever brackets, I can't help but think they'd be better off with that a 1.5 instead----really this seems like the sort of thing that shouldn't happen unless they've literally ran out of things to do and even then it shouldn't be backer-exclusive to the detriment of folks down the line.

I'd say this is there first genuinely rough bit to take away from this project, save for maybe the general notion of "launching a Kickstarter when you are in the middle of super-crunch mode on something else? Rather tricky..."

This is just me though, I'm still more bitter than even I can explain that yet again the mark is another 500K out versus some sort of nifty assortment. I can see where they are coming from in the video to a point, but this feels like one hell of a tangent.

They're a little high off the rush of having hit that goal, I assume. They had to think up something, and that sounds really neat. I don't like the 'backer only' notion at all, though. DLC or something that's free for backers, sure.

They hint that 2 million would be something extra special. I suspect we are getting into the realm of a rerelease of the originals, funding of the Sega CD translation project and/or tabletop rerelease.

Well, I'm involved in the translation project, but if they want to send us some money, I'm okay with that.

mudkyp

I understand where you're coming from, but I had a different take away from the 1.5 tier.

To me, it's a cool bonus to Kickstarter folks, but more importantly it really show how they have a an understanding for the scope of their game. Instead of promising something outlandish or material, they are making something special for fans while keeping their budget and pipeline focused.

This has been one of the most interesting Kickstarters to watch due to how open the team is in regards to how they are spending their money.

They're a little high off the rush of having hit that goal, I assume. They had to think up something, and that sounds really neat. I don't like the 'backer only' notion at all, though. DLC or something that's free for backers, sure.

Agreed. I think it's just a bit of a waste to have it only available to backers.

Meh. Why make funding goals that will reward people who didn't fund the game? The entire premise of Kickstarter is to incentivize people to donate to your cause. What better way to do that than giving them something only the hardcore would appreciate, like a trip down nostalgia lane. Granted, I agree that 500k extra seems like a lot for an additional story arc (that is, without knowing how indepth said plot line would actually be; could be hours long or a pseudo expansion pack).

But, I am a-ok with backer exclusive rewards from here on out.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I do not like the exclusive mission idea that much, even as a backer. They need to keep adding what they can and allow everyone to experience it.

There's plenty of hardcore folk that are likely to be down with SR in a big way, just not necessarily right now and in this manner for any number of reasons. I mean, at the extreme of ridiculous, why even distribute the game to anybody that didn't become a backer since they'd be the only ones that "deserve" it?

I'd contest that the point of Kickstarter isn't some odd ego stroking in terms of bolstering the collectors of the world over, but to set about doing a better/proper job of sowing the seeds so that all down the line can reap the bounty. In this case, the best game they can make for both the current and hopeful-to-be fans, as opposed to just the fans that can take part in the Kickstarter as this is a bridge too far beyond the Doc Wagon and such.

This is a fine sort of goal, but it has to be a project goal open to all else it undermines what they already have going----establishing sub-niches within a niche is probably not the best plan in the long haul.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I do not like the exclusive mission idea that much, even as a backer. They need to keep adding what they can and allow everyone to experience it.

That's their whole reason for doing this, as stated in the update vid. They want an incentive that will prompt more backing but that will not earmark too much of the additional funding just for realizing it, so that most of the additional budget can go to just making the game better in a more generalized way. Rather than just "okay we'll do linux at this mark" which could cost a significant amount of money and only be relevant to a small subset of people.

Polk

I won't agree to the severity but I also dislike this.

As a backer I want the people who end up buying it to get the best experience they can, I don't want content to make me feel artificially better then them.

Maybe they will make it available to everyone after some amount of time? It would make most sense.

I agree with Vyse.

In my view, I don't see why all of the physical backer-only stuff should be treated any different if you're going to start picking on things, like exclusive game content. That stuff's worth potentially real money if signed and obviously limited, while the existing backer-exclusive stuff also includes their mark on the world, provided that they've pledged enough, anyway. I don't see how this is a problem. It's not like backers aren't already encouraged with discounted price on the game in addition to all of the above. If the developer offers something significant as a gesture of their thanks to backers for making the game possible in the first place, and of their own free will, I say we take them up on it if we value that. Creating something just for those who are certainly the most important of their supporters is fine and hardly robs the non-backer for not trusting a potentially risky venture or just not being aware to support them at the start. They can offer it for a small fee or release it after a time.

Top Bottom