• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

Just pledged $125, wonder if this has any chance of hitting $2 million.

I definitely think 2 million is doable for this project. But I think they need to show more to pique peoples interests. They did offer bonus content at 1.5 for backers only, but they might have changed their minds on that. So there isn't a huge initiative for pledger's to push this project, at the moment.

I guess we will have to wait and see what their next update is.

Shadowrun crew really need to do something... anything...on their page. They haven't updated in 3 days and the pledges are flatlining.

Relax, this KS is one of the most updated one. And fairly good and interesting updates too.

I hope they get to $1.5M, they deserve it.

Shadowrun crew really need to do something... anything...on their page. They haven't updated in 3 days and the pledges are flatlining.

If you want to see real flat lining, check out Republique. It barely makes 1k a day, and still needs 425k to get funded.

This KS is moving at a steady pace. 1.5 is a lock, but they will need to make big moves to get to 2.

jeffb

Neo Member
I'd kinda like to see Sydney as the second city, I have some very vague memories of it being an interesting place in the SR universe, just can't remember for what reason :p

I guess at the end of the day they're going enable us to make our own runs/cities to run around though, so in the whole scheme of things its not really a big deal which city they go with.

Some more information on character creation and their take ruleset would be great, hell they could even put together a little character creator for people to play with, would be a good way of showing the world to poeple that do know anything about it.

I'd kinda like to see Sydney as the second city, I have some very vague memories of it being an interesting place in the SR universe, just can't remember for what reason :p

I guess at the end of the day they're going enable us to make our own runs/cities to run around though, so in the whole scheme of things its not really a big deal which city they go with.

Some more information on character creation and their take ruleset would be great, hell they could even put together a little character creator for people to play with, would be a good way of showing the world to poeple that do know anything about it.

All I can remember about Sydney is tha there are constant mana storms.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I wish they would hurry up with the video they're supposed to put out this week.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
New update. $1.5 million mission will be timed exclusive to backers and then released to everyone, in response to community concerns. Also shadowrun universe website will be created as a hub for shadowrun news and discussion (will not use kickstarter funds to produce).

New update. $1.5 million mission will be timed exclusive to backers and then released to everyone, in response to community concerns. Also shadowrun universe website will be created as a hub for shadowrun news and discussion (will not use kickstarter funds to produce).

I was just about to post this. I guess I'm not the only one keeping a close, close watch on this project.

Love Shadowrun -- and I'm excited for the website.

Rootbeer

Banned
I am so glad i funded this. I remember loving the Shadowrun game on SNES way back when. I hope this is just as good or better.

Nice update. Also @ $1.25M now. Hopefully they get to $1.5 in the following 9 days.

They should. It's going at a steady pace ($40k a day), plus there will be a end spike.

2 million is looking less likely, unless they announce what they have in mind for it before then. If it's interesting enough, they can probably drum up fan support and make it.

Coverly

oh god. When I saw the title of the update as "a little fireside chat" and then saw the fire logs on the monitor I actually laughed and increased my pledge to from 30 to 125. An almost hundred dollar joke lol. Well played.

Lime

I absolutely love the way Jordan and Harebrained have handled this whole thing. Great and transparent direction, aware of their limitations, focusing on improving the design without overpromising, as well as reacting perfectly to the fan demands/concerns. And the website without using any funds is just the cherry on the top. An absolutely commendable Kickstarter and PR example.

Also, fireside video :D

Lime

Also, the end of the video was really impressive and speaks volumes about the connection fans have to a fictional universe and its game incarnations. Really put a smile on my face.

I backed this during a drunken Kickstarter binge a week or so ago.

Can some explain what this game will be? The description is rather nebulous and I've never played a Shadowrun game before.

Also, the end of the video was really impressive and speaks volumes about the connection fans have to a fictional thing universe and its game incarnations. Really put a smile on my face.

Yeah when he read that letter it was a very touching/ awesome moment.

You can almost touch the love towards this franchise and project from Hrebrained.

Eusis

That's a pretty good compromise between being an incentive and not actively discourage legit sales post-Kickstarter. Though knowing it's related to the SNES and Genesis games... yeah, I'm probably sticking with this Kickstarter. I know the SNES game wasn't the most well liked but it was one I had a big soft spot for when I played it at 8 or 9.

Haunted

They've done a stellar job of keeping this kickstarter going. Too many pitches I've seen are basically fire and forget and hoping for good reactions.

These guys really stayed active, expanded with achieveable, value-adding goals as the money was coming in and were quick to react to any and all feedback. Just great stuff, totally maximising their potential here, imo.

The End

On the fence between the $15 and $30 levels. On the one hand, I have a baby coming any day now. On the other, I'm a player from way back, my GM was one of the $10k tier guys, one of my characters (Jesus) gets a shout out from him in the video today.

Decisions, decisions.

Lime

On the fence between the $15 and $30 levels. On the one hand, I have a baby coming any day now. On the other, I'm a player from way back, my GM was one of the $10k tier guys, one of my characters (Jesus) gets a shout out from him int he video today.

Decisions, decisions.

Since you know that guy, are you one of the five lucky ones included in that particular 10k tier?

The End

Sadly, no. We met in our mid-20s and have been playing for a few years now, but he's going to play with his original Shadowrun group from like... eighth grade.

I have to respect that kind of commitment though, they still have a regular planescape game going.

Gattsu25

Banned
Took me long enough (and I'm not going to be able to give 1/5 as much as I would like) but I just kicked in $30 for the project.

Lime

For those interested, if you're using Firefox, there's an add-on that shows the history and backing projections of a Kickstarter campaigns.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/kicktraq/?src=cb-dl-updated

This is how Shadowrun looks on it:

shadowrundda3d.png

Sadly, no. We met in our mid-20s and have been playing for a few years now, but he's going to play with his original Shadowrun group from like... eighth grade.

I have to respect that kind of commitment though, they still have a regular planescape game going.

Lol, talking about being committed.

mudkyp

I absolutely love the way Jordan and Harebrained have handled this whole thing. Great and transparent direction, aware of their limitations, focusing on improving the design without overpromising, as well as reacting perfectly to the fan demands/concerns. And the website without using any funds is just the cherry on the top. An absolutely commendable Kickstarter and PR example.

Also, fireside video :D

This 100%. I was only mildly aware of Shadowrun before the Kickstarter, but I backed it because the world needs more cyberpunk. But the constant updates and feedback has made me really happy to have donated and it got me to go pick up the Shadowrun 20th anniversary book too.

This has been a really touching Kickstarter to follow.

I cannot disagree with the decision. :) Video has almost talked me into bumping up to the physical copy tier. Have to talk it over with my girl.

Lime

I cannot disagree with the decision. :) Video has almost talked me into bumping up to the physical copy tier. Have to talk it over with my girl.

Tell her you'll put her name in the credits as a thank you.

If it doesn't work, promise her to wear the dog tags during sex.

Nice update. Also @ $1.25M now. Hopefully they get to $1.5 in the following 9 days.

Same here. I hope it ends up making somewhere between 1.8 - 2 million in the end.

But I don't think Jordan Weisman thought out the milestones for this project very well.

$400k = Game funded
$425k = Mac Version
1 Mil = Second city, More content (Linux version?)
1.5 Mil = Timed exclusive content (This is a fair compromise to the exclusive content, BTW).

The last milestone isn't really a very big one compared to the rest. But perhaps Mr. Weisman wasn't shooting for a large budget beyond 1.5 million? This one really wasn't paced out as well as Wasteland 2 KS was:

900k = funded
1.25m = bigger game
1.5mil = Mac and Linux
2.1mil = Obsidian team members (OK, this one was a surprise entry, but it did push funding up)
3mil= Level editor/ Mod tools.

DiscoJer

I backed this during a drunken Kickstarter binge a week or so ago.

Can some explain what this game will be? The description is rather nebulous and I've never played a Shadowrun game before.

Shadowrun is set in an alternate future, where magic comes back into the world in 2112 (they were way ahead of the Mayan thing). The magic coming back caused a lot of chaos, which nations being broken up and megacorporations becoming almost literal nations - like they can have their own police and such.

These megacorporations hire people on the fringes of society, who live off the grid (without a System Identification Number) to perform dirty operations against other megacorporations. These are called "Shadowruns" and the people who perform them are "Shadowrunners"

Basically industrial sabotage and the like. (This premise isn't actually that new, FASA was started up to make supplements for Traveller, a space opera game, where that sort of scenario was common).

Have you seen the movie RoboCop? Well, the 4 bad guys in it were basically Shadowrunners. That's not to say you necessarily play casual murderers, but it's a fairly violent game.

As to how the game will play, he described his vision as it being X-com like.

Shadowrun is set in an alternate future, where magic comes back into the world in 2112 (they were way ahead of the Mayan thing). The magic coming back caused a lot of chaos, which nations being broken up and megacorporations becoming almost literal nations - like they can have their own police and such.

These megacorporations hire people on the fringes of society, who live off the grid (without a System Identification Number) to perform dirty operations against other megacorporations. These are called "Shadowruns" and the people who perform them are "Shadowrunners"

Basically industrial sabotage and the like. (This premise isn't actually that new, FASA was started up to make supplements for Traveller, a space opera game, where that sort of scenario was common).

Have you seen the movie RoboCop? Well, the 4 bad guys in it were basically Shadowrunners. That's not to say you necessarily play casual murderers, but it's a fairly violent game.

As to how the game will play, he described his vision as it being X-com like.

When magic came back into the world "The Awakening" occurred. Basically, some people were dormant trolls, orcs, dwarves and elves but didn't realize it. Others found themselves able to see and travel the Astral Plane. There was also a VITAS plague that created various undead types throughout.

Eventually the Matrix was created although the name is different. Users jack into it using a cable hooked into a jack implanted in their skulls. Lethal force is commonplace in the virtual world.

Native Americans took back some of their lands via the Great Ghost Dance which was kind of like a spiritual nuke set forth from alot of group ritual magic use. What remained of the US join the leftovers of Canada to form the UCAS. The South split to form the CAS and Seattle was left all by its lonesome as a wayward territory.

Mexico and much of central and South America became Atzlan which is an amalgam of mega-corporate terror and blood magic users. The elves got their own haunt in the West and it is over ran with magical beasts and such. California Free State is every stereotype about every section of cali made extreme with a magical desert thrown in. Chicago is overrun by bugs spirit and Berlin is officially an anarchist state.

And National Geographic got a hell of a lot crazier.

The End

They've talked about this happening in the "2050" era, which is a little earlier in the shadowrun timeline

Chicago, for example, isn't overrun with bug spirits yet

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Same here. I hope it ends up making somewhere between 1.8 - 2 million in the end.

But I don't think Jordan Weisman thought out the milestones for this project very well.

$400k = Game funded
$425k = Mac Version
1 Mil = Second city, More content (Linux version?)
1.5 Mil = Timed exclusive content (This is a fair compromise to the exclusive content, BTW).

The last milestone isn't really a very big one compared to the rest. But perhaps Mr. Weisman wasn't shooting for a large budget beyond 1.5 million? This one really wasn't paced out as well as Wasteland 2 KS was:

900k = funded
1.25m = bigger game
1.5mil = Mac and Linux
2.1mil = Obsidian team members (OK, this one was a surprise entry, but it did push funding up)
3mil= Level editor/ Mod tools.

Actually what he said was the more money the game gets, the bigger the game gets. He's trying specifically to stay AWAY from milestones. So yeah, I like this way better.

DiscoJer

Do I have to donate in order to purchase the game?

Nope.

Indeed, a recent controversy in the KS campaign was whether or not later buyers would get an extra and special mission or if it would be reserved to KS donators. But the final decision was to make it available to everyone, but KS people would get it first...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know I'm LTTP, but god damned Mitch Gitelman is working on this game? I wonder if he'll claim he's revolutionizing the genre and all that other nonsense that he had to spew when he was promoting the PC/Xbox 360 game. :p

Zeliard

It's too bad they didn't increase the time for the pledge drive as I think it would have definitely hit $2 million with another week or so. Maybe it still will anyway, though there are only 8 days left. They're basically doing everything right. Their updates and the general outline for their vision have been much more impressive than the other major gaming Kickstarters, outside of The Banner Saga.

They've talked about this happening in the "2050" era, which is a little earlier in the shadowrun timeline

Chicago, for example, isn't overrun with bug spirits yet

I forgot about Chicago's problems occuring in the 60's. Its been awhile and my second and 3rd editions are running together.lol

Top Bottom