• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Do they really need a new goal? They seem to have a vision for the game, now they just need to go out and execute. Trying to be to ambitious could be a mistake.

Do they really need a new goal? They seem to have a vision for the game, now they just need to go out and execute. Trying to be to ambitious could be a mistake.

Given that they started this as a 24 day Kickstarter and not the typical 30/35 day one. I would suspect that they weren't going for a massive budget. But still, if it ends at 1.5 - 1.7million, that is a really good success. They did great with 30,500 backers.

Also, $19,504 left to go before they hit their 1.5million goal!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

Jordan hinted at some "twisted ideas at 2 million" in the video about hitting 1 million. So they may as well put out the goal if they have one in mind.

Psxphile

I'm only familiar with the SNES composer's work but hearing that he'll be contributing makes me happy. The best possible outcome is not only getting new music from him, but also remixes of some of his better Shadowrun tracks.

Iadien

I'm only familiar with the SNES composer's work but hearing that he'll be contributing makes me happy. The best possible outcome is not only getting new music from him, but also remixes of some of his better Shadowrun tracks.

Yeah, I love the shadowrun SNES music. The music fits perfectly with the game, imo.

Keasar

Yeah, I just want to know what that means. A re-release of the PnP game?

Sounds a little unnecessary. :p
CAT2600A_SR4Anniversary.jpg
More crazy features would be fun though.

Acosta

I'm a bit dubious about what to do with my backing. I have waited for a Shadowrun RPG for years and years, it´s one of my favourite settings. I put 115 to support it, but what I really wanted is the game with the box, which it's a really expensive tier (140$ for me).

I'm not really interested in the 100$ (+15), one side of me says to go for the special edition. Come on, it´s Shadowrun!, and in my imagination that box is an awesome big box with a great cover and old school manual that will make me automatically nostalgic and will look awesome with the rest of my games. If I miss it and it´s a fantastic box, it would be sad. And I really want to back these guys, the campaign has been pretty good and I have enjoyed all the updates.

But the growing practical side of me is saying that it´s only a box, digital is neat and clean, i avoid the extra 15 of international shipping, and 140$ is a lot of money I could spend those 90$ buying other games I'm interested.

Silly, I know. But would anyone give me his two cents about this?

I'm a bit dubious about what to do with my backing. I have waited for a Shadowrun RPG for years and years, it´s one of my favourite settings. I put 115 to support it, but what I really wanted is the game with the box, which it's a really expensive tier (140$ for me).

I'm not really interested in the 100$ (+15), one side of me says to go for the special edition. Come on, it´s Shadowrun!, and in my imagination that box is an awesome big box with a great cover and old school manual that will make me automatically nostalgic and will look awesome with the rest of my games. If I miss it and it´s a fantastic box, it would be sad. And I really want to back these guys, the campaign has been pretty good and I have enjoyed all the updates.

But the growing practical side of me is saying that it´s only a box, digital is neat and clean, i avoid the extra 15 of international shipping, and 140$ is a lot of money I could spend those 90$ buying other games I'm interested.

Meh. An opportunity like this doesn't come up very often, and at the 125/140 tier, you get so much swag beyond just a box. For me, it is worth it. I love the franchise, and I am putting my money where my mouth is. Plus, the dog tag and shirt are bad ass.

Also, that box will become a serious collector's item. Keep that in mind.

Dipswitch

Fuck it - upped my pledge from $30 to $60. Seems like a labor of love and I like the idea of supporting that enthusiasm.

Shame it's not gonna hit levels anywhere close to Wasteland 2. Understandable though - I think people are tapped out financially between the DF game and Wasteland 2. This is definitely the last project I'm backing for a while - spent more on Kickstarter in 2 months than I've spent on all other games in the last 1.5 - 2 years.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Fuck it - upped my pledge from $30 to $60. Seems like a labor of love and I like the idea of supporting that enthusiasm.

Shame it's not gonna hit levels anywhere close to Wasteland 2. Understandable though - I think people are tapped out financially between the DF game and Wasteland 2. This is definitely the last project I'm backing for a while - spent more on Kickstarter in 2 months than I've spent on all other games in the last 1.5 - 2 years.

This also doesn't have a name behind it nowhere near as big as Schafer or Fargo. Still it did very well for itself and far exceeded their goals.

This also doesn't have a name behind it anywhere as big as Schafer or Fargo. Still it did very well for itself and far exceeded their goals.

Wasteland also benefited from Chris Avellone and Obsidian's involvement. That gave them an enormous spike right when they needed it most, after the social controversy. Wasteland is going to have 3D graphics so they can definitely make use of the larger budget. Shadowrun Returns should be just fine with it has.

Iadien

I'm amazed it even hit 1 million, I didn't think this many people were interested in Shadowrun. This seems to be coming together perfectly, and the composers of the original games being brought on is just icing on the cake.

Lime

I upped my pledge from the nice and comfy $15 tier to the $125+15, because of the old school nostalgia, plus I get much more than what I usually would have for the same price in retail. And I have never played a Shadowrun game, either digitally nor analogue.

Also, I unfortunately only pledged the safe $15 for the Double Fine, but after streaming the latest Documentary episode, I really regret it, because the documentary is really well done. So in the case of Shadowrun I don't want to miss out on some of the great stuff provided by paying (much, much) more.

jut420

Neo Member
It's pretty crazy between this project, Double Fine's kickstarter, and the Wasteland 2 kickstarter the communities have raised over $7,750,000. Imagine if the masses found out about this. I don't think everyone, or even the majority would hop on and support the projects, but I think there would be significantly more contributions towards funding.

I don't mean to derail the thread, I'm just proud gamers are able to make such a significant contribution to the industry and funding the games we want to see. I feel like this is a pretty big movement and I'm pretty disappointed no one is covering it in the media. Funding these games was only possible by publishers and millionaires before, and I think this is a great example of how the little guys can make a difference if we all come together.

Mikey Jr.

Only about 7,000 more to go. Wonder what they're planning for 2M? They'll have two days to gather the 500,000 to get there and if the goal is a good one...

500k in 2 days?

Not bloody likely. Maybe another 100k, 200k if they are extremely lucky. Nothing past that.

500k in 2 days?

Not bloody likely. Maybe another 100k, 200k if they are extremely lucky. Nothing past that.

They got 400,000 in 28 hours of launching the KS, and there is usually a spike in funding towards the end. Like I said, with a really good goal it might be possible. Some people love their SR.

30,828 Backers
$1,496,256 pledged (of $400,000 goal)
3 days to go

Around 2,000 in an hour, if it continues at this rate it will pass 1.5 before midnight easy.

It would be nice if some big names out there plopped down some 10,000 dollar donations at the last minute just to hype everyone else up to donate. Surely, there are some famous fans out there? It worked for Wasteland 2.

DiscoJer

It would be nice if some big names out there plopped down some 10,000 dollar donations at the last minute just to hype everyone else up to donate. Surely, there are some famous fans out there? It worked for Wasteland 2.

Well, I think the thing is, they only had 3 $10,000 reward slots and they all filled up (pretty quickly, too).

WL2 had 16, filled 12 of them.

Then again, the $7500 reward SR is pretty close to WL2's $10k one and no one has been interested.

Having the guy the developed SR for a while fly to your city to run a game for your group is pretty amazing (and probably not something they could do a lot of)

edit: Then again, WL2 offered in game stuff - statue at $5000, shrine at $10,000. Maybe appealing to people's ego is the way to go at that level?

30,869 Backers
$1,501,058 pledged (of $400,000 goal)
3 days to go

BOOM! THERE IT IS!

That's 3.75 times the amount they asked for, for those wondering.

Well, I think the thing is, they only had 3 $10,000 reward slots and they all filled up (pretty quickly, too).

WL2 had 16, filled 12 of them.

Then again, the $7500 reward SR is pretty close to WL2's $10k one and no one has been interested.

Having the guy the developed SR for a while fly to your city to run a game for your group is pretty amazing (and probably not something they could do a lot of)

edit: Then again, WL2 offered in game stuff - statue at $5000, shrine at $10,000. Maybe appealing to people's ego is the way to go at that level?

I'm sure a few big name backers would not care about the rewards attached. They would be doing it as rich geeks - busy, rich geeks developing their own videogames.

Credit to RC over in the comments section for posting this:

We've got a lotta new chummers so...
@Everyone - Here are a few links that have come up in this Kickstarter backers comment section that you might be interested in...
While you're checking out the rest of the links below, first hit up the AWESOME music from the 16 bit Shadowrun games... because the composers of both games are now working together on the sountrack for Shadowrun Returns! Marshall Parker and Sam Powell, welcome to the shadows, chummers! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I23xPqI1dSM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukjuhIG_rf8 (Tnx Mike!)
Read Jordan Weisman's (The creator of Shadowrun!) latest interview about Shadowrun Returns!http://bit.ly/Jwcx7F
If you want to help bring in more Shadowrun Returns backers, check out this article, then pass it on! I chose it, think another one will do better, lemme know! http://bit.ly/I1zznM
If you just want to discuss Shadowrun, or even Shadowrun Returns with other Shadowrunners, you can go to the Dumpshock Forums! http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php
Shadowrun novels! There are people working on getting the Shadowrun novels republished as E-books. There seems to be some copyright issue Topps is dealing with regarding the matter, but this is where you can check out their efforts thus far http://www.shadowrun4.com/products/fiction/
And here's the wikipedia list of all the various Shadowrun novels (in English) out there! (tnx matt!) http://bit.ly/7CbbQl
Interested in how Harebrained Schemes is going to give us an AWESOME Shadowrun game in just 9 months? Keep in mind our game will have a lot more depth, but look at how they developed the really fun Crimson: Steam Pirates in just 12 weeks! http://bit.ly/oLf4oo
If you want to follow some interesting data on the Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter funding, check out http://bit.ly/HMEx3a and http://bit.ly/Jd7N32 But NOTE: Don't rely on the data you find here, so'ka?
Do you have suggestions for other useful Shadowrun Returns information that should be added here? Let me know!

DiscoJer

Credit to RC over in the comments section for posting this:

Interested in how Harebrained Schemes is going to give us an AWESOME Shadowrun game in just 9 months? Keep in mind our game will have a lot more depth, but look at how they developed the really fun Crimson: Steam Pirates in just 12 weeks! http://bit.ly/oLf4oo

That was interesting and I guess does show what SR will be likely be like (presumably isometric art, though)

zkylon

zkylewd
While you're checking out the rest of the links below, first hit up the AWESOME music from the 16 bit Shadowrun games... because the composers of both games are now working together on the sountrack for Shadowrun Returns! Marshall Parker and Sam Powell, welcome to the shadows, chummers! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I23xPqI1dSM
Wow that brings back memories...

Did you guys see the new update? Magical ninjas at 1.75m sounds great to me...too bad I can't afford the 50$ pledge right now...

DiscoJer

Wow that brings back memories...

Did you guys see the new update? Magical ninjas at 1.75m sounds great to me...too bad I can't afford the 50$ pledge right now...

Physical Adepts!

I can't believe they would be more difficult to add than a lot of stuff they added, though. They're just basically like Street Samurai, except instead of buying cyberware with money and essence, they pick magical powers from a list with magic points.

Aselith

Did he say "physical adepts" or "physical AT-AT's" or physical something-else in his video? I really can't tell.

I thought at first he said "physical adapts" and I was like "oh shit a board game version or...!?!?!"

Edit: AH I see from DiscoJ there that it's physical adepts. I always say that like uh-dep-t.

Physical Adepts!

I can't believe they would be more difficult to add than a lot of stuff they added, though. They're just basically like Street Samurai, except instead of buying cyberware with money and essence, they pick magical powers from a list with magic points.

I wouldn't correlate stretch goals with how hard they are to add necessarily. They're just things that hadn't planned on adding that they're agreeing to add in order to drive funding. It's an arbitrary goal to get people to drive hard with social circles and up pledge and shit.

I wouldn't correlate stretch goals with how hard they are to add necessarily. They're just things that hadn't planned on adding that they're agreeing to add in order to drive funding.

But at the same time, there are various degrees of attractiveness for a stretch goal. Wasteland set mod tools as it's final goal and that takes a lot of work to make but is also very attractive to backers. I know that Shadowrun promised mod tools right at the beginning so it's a moot point, but I think their final funding target would be more attainable if they had actually tried to add something that would really require (and be worth) the extra money they were asking.

DiscoJer

Did he say "physical adepts" or "physical AT-AT's" or physical something-else in his video? I really can't tell.

I thought at first he said "physical adapts" and I was like "oh shit a board game version or...!?!?!"

Edit: AH I see from DiscoJ there that it's physical adepts. I always say that like uh-dep-t.

Yeah, it's probably a term you had to be looking for. And in this case, even if you played Shadowrun, you might not know what they are, because they got changed.

In 2e SR (and maybe 1e, I don't remember), "Adepts" were people who could use magic, but not as much as full blown magicians. When you created your character, you would assign A,B,C,D, and E to 5 different categories. If you put an A (or B if you were an elf/etc since you needed to put your A in race to be anything but a human) in magic, you were a magician, and a B (or C if you were an elf/etc) you were an "adept".

Adepts could be simply skilled in one type of magical skill - like sorcery (spell casting) or summoning, or they could be shamanic adepts (they only could cast spells related to their totem) or, most interesting, physical adepts, which were like street samurai, only magical.

When 3e game along, they dropped the other types of adepts, and renamed "physical adept" to just "adept"

I'm just glad they kept it sensible and didn't jump to a 2M marker for Adepts---though I guess I was expecting more than one thing for what is likely the last push unless things get extra crazy, surprised nothing Matrix related has yet to manifest in the upped targets for instance.

Top Bottom