• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

thy_

They've talked about this happening in the "2050" era, which is a little earlier in the shadowrun timeline

Chicago, for example, isn't overrun with bug spirits yet

Do you remember when/where they said that?
I went looking for information on possible second cities and I remembered them mentioning a timeframe for the game, but I couldn't find it anymore.

2050 era problably means 2nd edition Shadowrun lore. Which as far as I can see runs from 2053-2059. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Shadowrun_books#Sourcebooks)

The discovery of the insect spirits behind the Universal Brotherhood happens in 2055, which leads among other things, to Chicago being put in a quarantine and Berlin being invaded by the big corporations, who divide the city between themselves and only the walled of east of Berlin remains anarchistic.

The quarantine of Chicago ends in 2058 after the use of a biological weapon and Berlin is reunited in 2072 after the corporations took over East Berlin.

So if they set the game at the end of the "2050" era they could have the second city being a freshly "cleaned up" Chicago with the former Containment Zone being extremely dangerous to anything magical, or in the divided Berlin with each district under control of a different multinational and an anarchistic east, that walled itself of.

The third place Jordan Weisman mentioned by name is Tir Tairngire, which is a isolationist elven state in what used to be Oregon, ruled by a Council of Princes. After 2057 when the Council closed the state's borders, it became rife with internal strife. The worsening economy and police-state methods of the Council ultimately lead to a successful revolution 2064.

Does anyone know of good online resources for Shadowrun? So far I've only stumbled opon this English wiki
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
and these two German ones.
http://www.shadowhelix.de/Hauptseite
http://www.shadowiki.de/Hauptseite

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
New pledge amount added: $50

THE ALL-DIGITAL REWARD BUNDLE This reward bundle is completely independent of all other reward levels, does not include any previous rewards, and is not added to reward levels above. A Digital Downloadable COPY OF THE GAME, DRM free on PC, Mac, or Linux + one totally sweet, exclusive desktop WALLPAPER for your PC, Mac, or mobile tablet + your character will start the game with a SPECIAL ABILITY only available to backers + a PDF version of the Shadowrun Returns Anthology, an ILLUSTRATED BOOK OF SHORT STORIES written for the game and edited by Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun + you will also get the IN-GAME DocWagon benefit of a fully-armed emergency ambulance or chopper to save your team of runners when the drek hits the fan + a DRM-free digital version of the GAME SOUNDTRACK. This bundle includes no physical goods and helps with VAT, duty and shipping costs for our international backers.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'd consider jumping on that if I had $35 more to throw at them. Alas, I don't, and I won't in time.

Iadien

I may bump up to $60 if we're able to choose which shirt we get. I want the gray one.

tshirtmontage.jpg

Love it. New swag announcement led to a nice spike in funding. It is already passed yesterday's total with many hours to go. Plus, it hit 1.3 million.

I hope this wave lasts into the weekend, so we can get to 1.5.

Do you remember when/where they said that?
I went looking for information on possible second cities and I remembered them mentioning a timeframe for the game, but I couldn't find it anymore.

2050 era problably means 2nd edition Shadowrun lore. Which as far as I can see runs from 2053-2059. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Shadowrun_books#Sourcebooks)

The discovery of the insect spirits behind the Universal Brotherhood happens in 2055, which leads among other things, to Chicago being put in a quarantine and Berlin being invaded by the big corporations, who divide the city between themselves and only the walled of east of Berlin remains anarchistic.

The quarantine of Chicago ends in 2058 after the use of a biological weapon and Berlin is reunited in 2072 after the corporations took over East Berlin.

So if they set the game at the end of the "2050" era they could have the second city being a freshly "cleaned up" Chicago with the former Containment Zone being extremely dangerous to anything magical, or in the divided Berlin with each district under control of a different multinational and an anarchistic east, that walled itself of.

The third place Jordan Weisman mentioned by name is Tir Tairngire, which is a isolationist elven state in what used to be Oregon, ruled by a Council of Princes. After 2057 when the Council closed the state's borders, it became rife with internal strife. The worsening economy and police-state methods of the Council ultimately lead to a successful revolution 2064.

Does anyone know of good online resources for Shadowrun? So far I've only stumbled opon this English wiki
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
and these two German ones.
http://www.shadowhelix.de/Hauptseite
http://www.shadowiki.de/Hauptseite

Ok, so my old man memory was working right after all.lol

I bumped up from 30 to 60 when they announced that it would be getting the soundtrack. I was considering all digital, but I want a T-shirt.

So what second city is GAF considering? I think I want to see Berlin myself.

I bumped up from 30 to 60 when they announced that it would be getting the soundtrack. I was considering all digital, but I want a T-shirt.

So what second city is GAF considering? I think I want to see Berlin myself.

Chicago. That way we get Bug Spirits to play with in the editor. *Evil grin* Although the former Mexico City (proper in-universe name is escaping me at the moment) wouldn't be bad either, for the building designs. I'm mostly interested in the editor if you can't tell. :p

They will need to blow us away with a new goal in order to hit 2 million, I believe anyway.

I think if they can squeeze into 1.5 before the end they'll announce something big for 2M that will push them over the top. I think they were hurt with the squabbling over the mission, pledges seemed to drop right then.

I think if they can squeeze into 1.5 before the end they'll announce something big for 2M that will push them over the top. I think they were hurt with the squabbling over the mission, pledges seemed to drop right then.

Yeah that was definitely a momentum killer, unfortunately. They should have responded faster.

I don't see it making it to 2M without a series of smaller, but awesome things to throw down in the path of it sequentially---while also probably having something big/awesome for 2M itself.

Final week should be a blitz for any Kickstarter no matter how well they are doing unless it has had a breakneck pace all the while---surely they can swing some kinda update tonight to wake the week up to it all?

I don't see it making it to 2M without a series of smaller, but awesome things to throw down in the path of it sequentially---while also probably having something big/awesome for 2M itself.

Final week should be a blitz for any Kickstarter no matter how well they are doing unless it has had a breakneck pace all the while---surely they can swing some kinda update tonight to wake the week up to it all?

The first and last few days always bring in huge numbers. They'll have no problem reaching 2mil assuming they keep the updates coming.

New Update.

One of the recurring themes in the stories we hear is how the music of the Sega and SNES Shadowrun games stays with you after all this time. Whenever we read your comments and whenever the team talks about it, the conversation always comes back to, “Wouldn’t it be cool if we could get the guys who wrote the original music?”

So we did.

Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that Marshall Parker, who wrote the music for the Super Nintendo game and Sam Powell, who wrote the music for the Sega Genesis game, have agreed to COLLABORATE on the music for Shadowrun Returns.

Iadien

I love the music from the SNES version, awesome.

Also, if you pledge $60, you get to choose which shirt you want to pick from the 3.

100 --> 125 ---> 175. What are you doing to me!? Take my money!

SNES and Sega composers! This is going to be really good. Really good.

You know, for $75 more you could get a signed and numbered hardcover version of the short story anthology book and early access to the editor in addition to the three shirts and everything else...

Magilla

Banned
They are killing it with this kickstarter. I pledged to the Wasteland kickstarter and was extremely happy with it, but I feel that the Shadowrun guys are doing so much better. /excited

Kusagari

They are killing it with this kickstarter. I pledged to the Wasteland kickstarter and was extremely happy with it, but I feel that the Shadowrun guys are doing so much better. /excited

I feel that the Shadowrun guys are really running with the different levels and making you want to upgrade. Something that I feel Wasteland kind of failed with.

I feel that the Shadowrun guys are really running with the different levels and making you want to upgrade. Something that I feel Wasteland kind of failed with.

They did a good job with the final $30 tier upgrade I think. Regardless, Shadowrun will not touch Wasteland's final total.

Kusagari

They did a good job with the final $30 tier upgrade I think. Regardless, Shadowrun will not touch Wasteland's final total.

Wasteland benefited quite a bit from being the first big kickstarter after Double Fine blew the doors open. Plus they worked the "spiritual predecessor" to Fallout angle very well in making new people take a chance on it.

DiscoJer

I think it depends on you want.

I went with the $50 level on Wasteland because I wanted the boxed copy of the game with the cloth map and manual. Here a boxed copy is $125.

OTOH, if you want a T-shirt, you can get one here at $60 while for WL it was $150. But if you don't want a T-shirt, there's not much reason to go up to $60 from $15. Maybe the Docwagon card, but eh...

Miletius

Soundtrack, good sir! 15->50 means you get the Soundtrack, which now promises to be AMAZING.

Tempted, but I always end up listening to video game soundtracks once or twice and shelving them. I generally like them but they just languish in my mp3 collection, I have to be in a certain mood to really get into a soundtrack.

I ended up settling on the 30 dollar level and am pleased with what I'm getting at that level. The 50 dollar bundle is interesting, but I think I can skip most of that stuff. I'm not really a t-shirt kind of dude so that's not a huge deal for me to not get one, although I'll admit the grey one is pretty cool looking.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
100 --> 125 ---> 175. What are you doing to me!? Take my money!

SNES and Sega composers! This is going to be really good. Really good.

Wait wait wait. The guy who composed the SNES game is on-board?

THIS SONG needs to be in the game.

Edit: Thought "Harebrained Schemes" meant that this was somehow some big colossal scam or something. Then I found out they changed their name. Funny.

Iadien

They really need to get the new damn goal up if there is going to be one, wtf are they waiting for? lol

Top Bottom