• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

Coverly

kickstarter certainly has been a game changer. When I look back at 2012 I'm pretty sure I'll remember what kickstarter did for games more so than any of the games i actually played in that year.

oh, and pledged!

charsace

YES! Fuck you, 2007 Shadowrun. This is what you SHOULD have been.

I've played through every shadowrun game, excluding the sega cd version. Shadowrun on xbox is the best competitive shooter released this gen. If people didn't pile on it from the first reveal and gave the game a chance, they would have gotten to experience something great.

Herla

Kickstarter is now worse than the Steam Sales...
Just...just take my money, I don't even care anymore...

charsace

Shadowrun_Suspects_Wallpaper_by_KlausScherwinski.jpg
I honestly think a better art style could have went a LONG way with that game.

There were definitely balance issues but it really did have some interesting gameplay.
What balance issues did it have? The balance issues they had at launch were patched. The game has the best balance of any multiplayer game ever released.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, this is going really fast. Don't underestimate fans and their two-decade-long dreams.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The SNES version is one of the best WRPGs of that console generation. Try it out for yourself, if you can.

Or just play Deus Ex: Human Revolution for a taste of something similar. It's not the same, but it's a great game nonetheless, so play it anyway.
I did enjoy Human Revolution quite a bit. Isn't the SNES version hard to come by?

trw

The highest tier got a chuckle from me:
Previous rewards + Mike Mulvihill, who led Shadowrun game development at FASA Corp., will COME TO YOUR TOWN TO RUN A TABLETOP GAME OF SHADOWRUN FOR YOU AND FIVE OF YOUR FRIENDS. (He'll even buy some snacks.)

Holy shit.

If anyone is planning on doing a Kickstarter in the future, watch the frickin' Shadowrun video. It is essentially filled with what makes an amazing KS intro video.

They have my money on the video alone.

Long time fan. I can't wait, backed much more than I should have, if this doesn't get funded I'll cry myself to sleep with my 2nd edition rulebooks.

Damn Kickstarter, I've spent an entire year's worth of gaming budget and don't have anything to show for it. 2013 will be great!

JimmyBoy

Backed. I want to play this.
Though, I loved Shadowrun the FPS. That guy didn't deserve to have things thrown at him!

At this rate, SRR will be funded inside of two days. Also, 2013 is looking like the most epic release slate of titles in forever...mostly due to DFA kickstarting KickStarter for bigger devs. Amazing times, man.

Seeing as Shadowrun for the Genesis is one of my all time favorite video games and the Shadowrun world is one of my all time favorite fictional universes, I've gotta put some money into this one. I hope they take some inspiration from the Genesis one as well as the SNES one.

wrowa

At this rate, SRR will be funded inside of two days. Also, 2013 is looking like the most epic release slate of titles in forever...mostly due to DFA kickstarting KickStarter for bigger devs. Amazing times, man.

Personally, I think they are lowballing their budget on purpose. I think they are hoping for much more than 400k in reality.

Personally, I think they are lowballing their budget on purpose. I think they are hoping for much more than 400k in reality.

After the success of Wasteland 2 why wouldn't they just list what they actually need to realize their vision? Just afraid of not making it?

Much rather they do it they way they are. You're probably right, but I'd rather go for the bare minimum they need to actually make the game with what they want and building from there rather than saying they need 1 mil+ because they want all sorts of dazzling features and extra platforms.

Edit: Wanted to add, I refreshed the kickstarter before writing this post, 94k....wrote my couple sentence post, refreshed again. Now it's at 108k. I almost fell out of my chair. Excitement ahoy!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
After the success of Wasteland 2 why wouldn't they just list what they actually need to realize their vision? Just afraid of not making it?

Jordan knows what he needs. If you're worried about his nerves, check out his bio on the tubes. Somehow, he's actually managed to undersell his experience. Which is odd, because he typically loves to tell everyone about all the cool shit he's made.

;)

scy

Previous rewards + Mike Mulvihill, who led Shadowrun game development at FASA Corp., will COME TO YOUR TOWN TO RUN A TABLETOP GAME OF SHADOWRUN FOR YOU AND FIVE OF YOUR FRIENDS. (He'll even buy some snacks.)

Interesting proposition.

I like that it is boosting at the rate it is without even a Linux port considered thus far, only a Mac one---we all know it will be some crazy Linux savant that brings a Matrix-ish thing to reality ultimately!

Definitely hope this soars up to the very reasonable goal, then they do good about further updates to get this thing monstrous and hitting all the nifty platforms.

Meh.. Would rather have another Shadowrun mp fps. By far the best mp game this gen.

Yeah... that's clearly the only Shadowrun game you've ever played.

That's fine; the game was actually great, as you mentioned, but it wasn't Shadowrun. So, no, a kickstarter of that would be a waste.

Ya, I don't think they'll have a problem reaching their goal, but it's weird they set the time so short.

My main concern with these campaigns is that, if they don't go well over their goal, then they'll just spend a lot of that money on the rewards.

I also dislike how every single one of these game campaigns has offered a physical box. I understand that is a huge draw, but physical boxes are also a huge waste of material, plus a huge expense.

Ya, I don't think they'll have a problem reaching their goal, but it's weird they set the time so short.

Kickstarter themselves said there's basically no difference in how much a 36 day Kickstarter will pull compared to a 24 day one. A longer schedule just means less money during the slump and a slightly smaller spike at the end.

Looks like this might hit 200k as early as tonight. Gotta go fast.

lostxii

Kickstarter themselves said there's basically no difference in how much a 36 day Kickstarter will pull compared to a 24 day one. A longer schedule just means less money during the slump and a slightly smaller spike at the end.

I could see that. People probably don't feel as compelled to donate quickly if they have 40 days to do so.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Looks like this might hit 200k as early as tonight. Gotta go fast.

Exactly, the real difference will come because of the project promise. People who are on the fence will decide towards the final minutes of the project.

Mxrz

Memory isn't so great, but I remember reading about it when these old guys (Not specifically these old guys) were making piles of money selling their companies to larger groups back in the day. Romero wasn't the first ball out with a Ferrari and all that. Now 20 years later everyone is flocking to Kickstarter.

But meh. Gonna try to just think of it as pre-ordering a game I want directly from the developers.

My main concern with these campaigns is that, if they don't go well over their goal, then they'll just spend a lot of that money on the rewards.

I also dislike how every single one of these game campaigns has offered a physical box. I understand that is a huge draw, but physical boxes are also a huge waste of material, plus a huge expense.

If there were no physical boxes, I would have, to this date pledged about $155 to projects via kickstarter.

I have pledged about $510, plus about $65 for shipping. And I suspect that there are enough likeminded people who are very interested in boxed copies but not so much in any other swag(unless it's in the boxed copy!) to make it very worthwhile for them to offer.

This one isn't actually offering a physical box by the way, but I did suggest it to them an hour ago, so I live in hope.

If there were no physical boxes, I would have, to this date pledged about $155 to projects via kickstarter.

I have pledged about $510, plus about $65 for shipping. And I suspect that there are enough likeminded people who are very interested in boxed copies but not so much in any other swag(unless it's in the boxed copy!) to make it very worthwhile for them to offer.

This one isn't actually offering a physical box by the way, but I did suggest it to them an hour ago, so I live in hope.

There is an update in the FAQ where they say it's not in their current plans but they'll consider it if funding is exceeded.

I typically don't care to go with physical copies of games other than a few exceptions and this is one of them. Since these Kickstarter games are special occasions for the most part it seems fitting to go with a nice collector's edition to commemorate the game. Also, nice art books are pretty important for me as well.

scy

Like you say, physical boxes get a lot more people to support it.

I like the swag though and I donate more for it. I think it makes up for the costs in the end. At least, I'd hope so. If it doesn't, they need a better accountant or something to double check the numbers :x

Top Bottom