• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Almighty

So far I am enjoying the game, but by god the save system is an awful design decision. The interface is also clearly designed for tablets like others have said. It also seems like it might be a little on the simple and linear side, but I am still enjoying it so far. It might just be because it is whacking me over the head with nostalgia of RPGs of yesteryear.

Also just a heads to up those running space constrained SSDs as your primary HDD coupled with a massive secondary mechanical drive.

The game actually literally duplicates itself as cache in the following location after a first run:-

C:\Users\(YourUserName)\AppData\LocalLow\Unity\WebPlayer\Cache\Harebrained Schemes_Shadowrun

Which occupies yet another 1.32 GB of your precious space (same space occupied by the game itself in the original installation folder), a big deal of you're on a space constrained SSD, and you're wondering where your space has disappeared to after running the game.

I just ended up making a junction of that folder to my secondary larger partition.

Sothpaw

Anyone playing on very hard? I usually play rpgs on the highest difficulty and was wondering if it's any good (i.e. the computer doesn't cheat) in SRR. Going to start playing in an hour.

Edit: oh and are hitpoint gains from attribute increases retroactive?

Tenrius

The reason people are excited for user-generated content with SRR in particular is because it harkens back to the PnP game, where players would prolifically create and share their own story campaigns.

I don't think it's meant to downplay the main campaign as much as to convey how strong a base this is and how mods may positively impact the game's longevity, as well as to emphasize that the game's overall value should take that into account.

The situation was very similar with both NWN games, they are widely known as "construction set games" and it still wasn't that impressive. Granted, both vanilla NWN and NWN2 were pretty bad, which made some user modules look much better in comparison.

I understand where this is coming from, P&P and all, but I'm quite sceptical about the actual quality. P&P is one thing, since pen and paper is almost literally all you need and you can succeed as long as you can write decently, but video games require considerably more than that: quality assets, portraits, music, all preferably not borrowed from the vanilla game. Overall, it takes much more effort to create a video game campaign and it's hard to believe that the supposed modding community will be able to make 10+ hours long quality campaigns in the future. It's still possible, of course, but I wouldn't bet on that, and it certainly wouldn't be a factor in my buying decision.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Id like someone to totally overhaul this game and give it a real inventory system along with other things.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The campaign is worth it in itself, imo. Decent writing and a well-executed atmosphere.

If you're low on cash, you could probably wait for the Christmas sale, but if you want a ncely written isometric turnbased RPG that harks back to the PC days of old (albeit without much item and level complexity), this game will scratch that itch.

I guess with episodic content players don't really get end credits, just a sense they played 1/4 a game. This makes me mad at developers for episodic content.

Who in the hell likes being given 1/4 of a game?

Tenrius

For lack of a better term, are people going good or evil?

I'm playing a nice guy so far, and it's been fun.

Doesn't seem like there's much of a choice outside of conversation options which do not affect anything (and it's usually more like snarky talk - polite talk - street talk anyway). The only "evil" options that matter are the ones declining a sidequest offer, which makes you miss out on experience and rewards.

cj_iwakura

Cherry Bomb is my new favorite character. They nailed the writing in this game.

Everyone feels like a person.

How are portraits handled for custom quests? Can you use your own, or just preselected?

Man I was not gonna buy any games this month because I plan to spend cash on a headset for streaming....

But I really can't help myself in this case. At least it's cheaper than the other game I want, Dragon's Crown!

Eusis

Given how expensive the deluxe edition is you'd think we'd get something better than MP3 files for the soundtrack >_>
Maybe if you can buy it from their own store? I think an issue may be how Steam handles DLC, once you own it it's ALWAYS downloaded, and while that's probably for the best in ensuring everyone has the same content for MP it's kind of a bitch for bulky extras that aren't even game data.

Though Deus Ex handled it by throwing it under Tools...

cj_iwakura

It's the little things.
zIGJrC0.jpg

Maybe if you can buy it from their own store? I think an issue may be how Steam handles DLC, once you own it it's ALWAYS downloaded, and while that's probably for the best in ensuring everyone has the same content for MP it's kind of a bitch for bulky extras that aren't even game data.

I'm sure there are ways of handling it, especially given you just brought one up :D

As a Decker, should I put any points into gun or melee?

marrec

Banned
Did some streaming of the game, someone mentioned that the art style really reminded them of Transistor and I can't say I disagree with them.

Man I'm loving this game so far. Takes me waaay back.

Oh, and Idle Thumbs is going to do some casting of Shadowrun soon at http://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/ so check that out.

Gvaz

Banned
Friend just gifted me the game since I missed the kickstarter thingy. I just had a 10 hour shift at work so I'm way too fucking tired for this but I'm excited to get started. Never played a shadowrun game before except for that FPS and it was terrible.

caught a funny Game of Thrones/Clash of Kings reference in Pikes Place -
the torturer in the royal apartments is named "The Tickler"

Aeana

Just started. I made a dwarf mage and did the very first battle. I didn't know this game has a combat system inspired by the new XCOM. A pleasant surprise, to be sure. I did have one of my party members die during that battle, which makes me wonder - how does death work in this game? I noticed there's a counter, and then their corpse disappears after it reaches 0. In a normal non-flashback situation, what happens in that case? Gone forever?

Tenrius

Just started. I made a dwarf mage and did the very first battle. I didn't know this game has a combat system inspired by the new XCOM. A pleasant surprise, to be sure. I did have one of my party members die during that battle, which makes me wonder - how does death work in this game? I noticed there's a counter, and then their corpse disappears after it reaches 0. In a normal non-flashback situation, what happens in that case? Gone forever?

There are items you can use to revive your party members, I think they are called trauma kits. I'm not sure how they work exactly, because nobody in my party died yet.

EDIT: But it feels like they indeed can die for good, judging by quest objectives like "don't let character X die". Maybe you have to revive them with a trauma kit before the timer runs out?

duckroll

Yes, there's permdeath. You have a number of turns to revive the character in battle, like in Tactics Ogre.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Most of your party members are people you hire, and while I haven't had someone die yet, I assume that if you let someone croak completely without hitting em with a doc wagon trauma kit then they probably disappear from the hiring pool.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yes but its not episodic.

That's good to know. I played a little bit today.. been working on some other titles at the moment. You know that was the first thing that popped in my head when I was starting a new game.

SRR has a great feel to it. Very nice crisp graphics.

HORRORSHØW

Anyone going to make tutorials on the editor? Hopefully something in layman's terms. I have zero programming know how, but I'm dying to create my own content. I looked over some tutorials from HBS on youtube and the wiki, but their cursory demonstration wasn't very helpful. Maybe I just have to mess around with it more.

FGMPR

Banned
Grimløck;72909331 said:
Anyone going to make tutorials on the editor? Hopefully something in layman's terms. I have zero programming know how, but I'm dying to create my own content. I looked over some tutorials from HBS on youtube and the wiki, but their cursory demonstration wasn't very helpful. Maybe I just have to mess around with it more.

http://shadowrunrebuilt.com/

That's not exactly comprehensive, but its a start.

cj_iwakura

Haven't been this immersed in an RPG this much in a long time. Every NPC feels alive.

Just returned to the Seamstress for the second visit:

Rescued Coyote and got the gems. Hellhound solo = ow.

The guy in the underground sells some AMAZING spells. I can see Mage becoming OP very fast.

Alright, so I'm now 6 hours in and I only have 2 real complaints.

1. I don't care about the linearity of the game, with it's mission based structure and such. But I am sorta annoyed at the lack of ANYTHING within those areas. I'm not exactly looking for the SNES game all over again, but c'mon, I have found 3 random items lying around so far and that is ALL. Barely any other conversations, no computers to hack (which will be furthered in my second complaint) and a distressing lack of equipment. There are so few items in the game.

Now, I understand that given the time it took to make the game and money involved that they were limited on both time and development and small stuff like that was probably not top priority. But it's sorta annoying to go through, say the airplane hanger, and find literally NOTHING random to poke or prod at. Lemme fuck around and hack every computer to max my credstick, or find a shotgun in a hidden stash or talk to a dude who is literally useless but is just there to call me a fraghole. SOMETHING.

2. 6 hours in, ONE TIME TO USE MY DECKER TO ENTER THE MATRIX. What the fuck? I've been building her since the beginning of the game to be a hackasaurus and there's been one Matrix section in the game so far? Unreal. What makes it suck so much is that the Matrix sections are actually pretty damn cool and doing it in that fight was completely worth it. I have not used it once outside of that combat and so my abilities and fancy deck and ESP and programs sit there gathering dust when I should be hacking every single goddam computer I see to steal their money, data and possibly lewd pictures.

I realize these complaints are rather...silly considering what I've paid for the product and what I noted above, the limited development time and funds, but still; it is souring a game I am otherwise loving pretty harshly.

The campaigns that shall come though, all hope placed, should help alleviate that a great deal. Hell, maybe I'll make one of my own to do that. Or just recreate the SNES game in this engine. Nah, that's a bit of a waste. We need new content.

That being said, that Maerska is a goddam beast and if you throw haste on her she can kill most enemies in one turn. Jesus.

Fjordson

Hmm, that makes sense.

Maybe if we're lucky they'll put the FLAC up on bandcamp or something. Music this good deserves better than 167 kbps!

Can someone explain to me how Deckers work? I started and it seems all I can do is mark targets. Do I have to buy new hacking spells or what?

UnrealEck

Finding it very linear and lacking in the strategy. I was hoping for something more akin to the old late 90s RPGs I suppose.

Top Bottom