• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Blizzard

Banned
A dragon ran for President in that year.

And won.
I still don't get it...I never played any of the old Shadowrun stuff so I don't understand the thread title reference to a dragon either. =P

Regarding deckers, I'm trying to build my elf lady mage into an academic who specializes in matrix decks and using robot minion drones to kill everything. An assault rifle specialization is her backup plan. It's unfortunate to hear that there are very few matrix opportunities, but at least I find that out before I tried to go full decker or something. :p

cj_iwakura

I still don't get it...I never played any of the old Shadowrun stuff so I don't understand the thread title reference to a dragon either. =P

It's background story fan service.

And one of the sayings in Shadowrun is never bargain with a dragon. They always win.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Playing as a dwarf rigger, really enjoying the aesthetics of the game.

Finding it very linear and lacking in the strategy. I was hoping for something more akin to the old late 90s RPGs I suppose.

Not to be a jerk, but the strategy for Shadowrun SNES was "buy the Uzi and farm the arena"

They're fun games, I love the SNES and Genesis one, but they're not these amazing strategic tense battles.

Eusis

Not to be a jerk, but the strategy for Shadowrun SNES was "buy the Uzi and farm the arena"

They're fun games, I love the SNES and Genesis one, but they're not these amazing strategic tense battles.
Well, both were in the first half of the 90s, so I assume he meant he wanted more along the lines of Baldur's Gate or Fallout I guess.

I'll need to play the game but I honestly do find it mildly baffling how fixated people have been on corpse looting. It's not like I hate the feature, but it's not one of those "oh many they've gotta have this!" like a manual save system of some sort. And I did catch the post bringing up that maybe it's because it's easier to not always store the state of the world, but couldn't you safely reset that if you depended on dedicated save points at least? Always loading up at one spot, less worries about funny business going on.

Zeliard

Combat is enjoyable on Very Hard. It isn't quite as difficult as I'd like so far, but it still keeps you on your toes and has you using consumables more than I imagine the other difficulties do. Not sure where the differences truly lie (perhaps superior to-hit and dodge rolls for the enemies).

Also quite glad I went with a Shaman for my main char. Spirits dish out the hurt. :p And it's fun to have a decent variety of things you can do in combat, between the totem, fetishes, environmental spirits, and buff/debuff spells (and in my case, also a rifle).

I also put several points into Charisma and unlocked three total etiquettes; along with the high CHR, my guy can be a pretty persuasive chap at times.

Just returned to the Seamstress for the second visit:

Rescued Coyote and got the gems.

Neat little touch about Coyote just a bit after where you are:
when she gets her cyber arm, it also functions as a piece of cyberware.

Sothpaw

Playing on very hard, the first couple of battles were pretty fun. Playing a dwarf decker atm.

Also I really love the graphical style and the writing is very good for a videogame.

Put about an hour into it so far. Good stuff. Love the style and atmosphere. Writing isn't half-bad either.

I do wish they had a bigger production budget, but not complaining.

Unicorn

Combat is enjoyable on Very Hard. It isn't quite as difficult as I'd like so far, but it still keeps you on your toes and has you using consumables more than I imagine the other difficulties do. Not sure where the differences truly lie (perhaps superior to-hit and dodge rolls for the enemies).

Also quite glad I went with a Shaman for my main char. Spirits dish out the hurt. :p And it's fun to have a decent variety of things you can do in combat, between the totem, fetishes, environmental spirits, and buff/debuff spells (and in my case, also a rifle).

I also put several points into Charisma and unlocked three total etiquettes; along with the high CHR, my guy can be a pretty persuasive chap at times.

As someone who jumped into XCOM on Ironman Classic just to truly play the game, would you recommend the hardest difficulty for this game? From what you've said it seems like it is still fun. I just can't stand when the game cheaply favors the AI to simulate more difficulty.

Aeana

Out of curiosity, which etiquettes do you have so far?

Fjordson

So you can get multiple etiquettes? Guess I won't agonize over choosing my initial one so much then :lol (making my first character at the moment)l.

totowhoa

Banned
Finding the difficulty portion of the reviews a little disappointing, but that ain't gonna stop me from playing one of the coolest games ever. Are most people playing on the hardest difficulty available and finding it enjoyable? Queuing this game up... but probably won't start for a few weeks.

Zeliard

As someone who jumped into XCOM on Ironman Classic just to truly play the game, would you recommend the hardest difficulty for this game? From what you've said it seems like it is still fun. I just can't stand when the game cheaply favors the AI to simulate more difficulty.

Very Hard seems fair so far. I may hit a wall later on but the only time I've had any of my people come close to dying up to this point was in the very first battle of the game, where you're underpowered. I've used healing consumables and the healing totem (the bear) to keep my crew up and running.

The Shaman can be quite powerful given his variety of tools, especially as you progress, so I may be benefiting from having one as a main character.

Out of curiosity, which etiquettes do you have so far?

Academic, Shadowrunner, and Corporate

Figured that would give me a decent variety of ways to manipulate different social groups.

sprinkles

It's the little things.
zIGJrC0.jpg
Ah man I wanted to wait until the winter when I have more time and the game will be cheaper. But little details like that make it really hard to resist right now - played the Pen and Paper for a year or so back then.

EVOL 100%

I played an hour or so, my impressions so far is that it's a pretty good game, but it hasn't been very engaging yet. The game is just too easy, and I still don't know why I should care about this Sam guy yet. And the lack of manual saving is very annoying.

I'm still having fun though.

edit: Where do you change the difficulty settings?

I don't want looting corpses in this game. It's just busy work for an rpg.

Yea but its nice to have different sorts of game "work" balanced out. I'm not far in but I'm getting a sort of too linear point and click to your next magnifying glass feeling. Which I hope will change up soon.

Blizzard

Banned
Yea but its nice to have different sorts of game "work" balanced out. I'm not far in but I'm getting a sort of too linear point and click to your next magnifying glass feeling. Which I hope will change up soon.
I guess I'll see by the end. I basically expect it to be a sort of visual novel, with occasional tile-based fights in between dialog. Some people probably won't like this, and maybe user campaigns will be different, but the atmosphere and writing are good, so I'm trying to take it for what it is.

Bug? I bought 2 'cyber-mods' from some guy on the street, and can't equip them. Then I buy a new outfit from a troll, and can't equip that.

Fistwell

Bug? I bought 2 'cyber-mods' from some guy on the street, and can't equip them. Then I buy a new outfit from a troll, and can't equip that.
Some equipment has stats requirements, but I doubt you'd miss it, it's in red in the item description (if you don't meet the reqs).

Can someone explain deckers to me? The game mentions they hack into the matrix, but all the skills on the character sheet and at the start of the game are just various versions of "Mark Target"

Zeliard

The game is quite linear both in level design and in the way you generally progress, and I don't think that ends up changing much. There's a clear pattern and it's visible from early on. You're generally funneled down levels, and while you occasionally have different ways to complete objectives, it tends to roughly amount to the same thing. If you've got Decker points you'll hack computers; points in STR you'll threaten your way through; points into Charisma or certain etiquettes you'll talk your way through; and if not you just find some other fairly straightforward way to get to the next section (like bribes).

That sort of style of progression is fairly common in many other RPGs but here it's probably simpler and more obvious due to the small, demarcated levels and relatively small number of NPCs (though they are pretty much all distinctive and well-drawn).

There's never any backtracking, as once you enter a new area, you've essentially entered a new chapter of the game. That will generally involve talking to whomever has a marker above their heads, clicking on whatever icons and objective markers you see, usually moving on to some combat, and then entering the next area and repeating the process.

I'd call these things downsides, certainly, but expected ones. The development time was short, and the budget relatively small. I think it's ultimately a fun, charming, well-written game, and given what they had to work with, they did a very solid job. You just have to set the proper expectations.

Dennis

Banned
Can anyone playing on Very Hard tell me if they encountered any frustrating parts so far?

I started my game on Hard but am considering restarting on Very Hard before I get any further.

Can anyone point me to a review that talks about the difficulty?

How far into the game are you? I thought that too at first, but didn't realize I couldn't really equip things/manage inventory until I got to my stash.

Can someone explain deckers to me? The game mentions they hack into the matrix, but all the skills on the character sheet and at the start of the game are just various versions of "Mark Target"

You don't really get to utilize your decker abilities unless you have a drone or a Matrix section in a level.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think they might fix the save system in future updates/DLC. Cash will roll in, they'll be able to dedicate more resources to it.

The game is quite linear both in level design and in the way you generally progress, and I don't think that ends up changing much. There's a clear pattern and it's visible from early on. You're generally funneled down levels, and while you occasionally have different ways to complete objectives, it tends to roughly amount to the same thing. If you've got Decker points you'll hack computers; points in STR you'll threaten your way through; points into Charisma or certain etiquettes you'll talk your way through; and if not you just find some other fairly straightforward way to get to the next section (like bribes).

That sort of style of progression is fairly common in many other RPGs but here it's probably simpler and more obvious due to the small, demarcated levels and relatively small number of NPCs (though they are pretty much all distinctive and well-drawn).

There's never any backtracking, as once you enter a new area, you've essentially entered a new chapter of the game. That will generally involve talking to whomever has a marker above their heads, clicking on whatever icons and objective markers you see, usually moving on to some combat, and then entering the next area and repeating the process.

I'd call these things downsides, certainly, but expected ones. The development time was short, and the budget relatively small. I think it's ultimately a fun, charming, well-written game, and given what they had to work with, they did a very solid job. You just have to set the proper expectations.

Agreed on all points, expectations are being met as I know its just a kickstarter funded game. I'm quite happy with the game even for 175$.

Cool, thanks.

Welcome, hope every can stop in and say hi. I'll try and stream the game every night I'm free for awhile.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

these downsides sound like advantages to me. This kind of crpg-lite games I have time and effort saved for nowadays.

Blizzard

Banned
If anyone is curious about the piano notes GAFFC, I think it's most likely a reference to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Kgzn3tDQU, the music notes used in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. When you play the notes it mentions something about a brief sense of wonder. Though, in that youtube clip, I don't think those notes have been transposed...the intervals are right, but I don't think the pitch matches GAFFC on a keyboard.

Aaron

these downsides sound like advantages to me. This kind of crpg-lite games I have time and effort saved for nowadays.
I feel the same. I've been playing the Witcher 2 and the inventory is more of a hindrance than anything resembling fun, while even it's modest sized maps end up with too much pointless walking to get to the various objectives. Something neater and more focused is welcome.

As I'm typing this post, the game already had a quarter of its content downloaded. Looks like I'm going to give it a spin tonight. They say that installation size is not an indicator of the amount of time you can get out of a game...

Maybe this will actually get me playing all the way until early next morning...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Fuck. I would have actually bought this but I thought it was based off the multiplayer FPS for some reason. Now I'm broke :(

Anyone else expericing crackling audio/music in game? Not too often but enough to be bothersome, especially when in menus.

Also, has anyone had luck forcing AA through Nvidia Inspector? The included AA still leaves a lot of jagglies and given the UI doesn't scale to resolutions I can't downsample, even more so considering I'm playing this on a 47 inch tv.

Top Bottom