• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Dram

Are there any other references to the other Shadowrun games besides the main
character from SNES version
being in the game?

Tenrius

There is an icon by the summon to dismiss it i just didn't see it :p And yes there were two people left. I ve done five or so missions and still no matrix. Maybe i am missing them ill check the help button.

There's an entry point in the mission right after the first time you go to the docks (I think it's a side mission).

It's actually pretty cool, too. There is an enemy decker there who is jacked into some control terminal. If you jack into said entry point, you have to battle him in cyberspace, which helps you in the real world. As of right now I'm being attacked by CUBES.

Lime

This game's writing*, visuals and audio (both music and ambient) make the experience so far really great.

*although the plot and characters are pretty straightforward so far, the quality seems to be decent (i.e. much better than the usual tripe we see in video games)

Blizzard

Banned
Do you run out of bullets..? also is there anyway to heal outside of battle other than medkits?
I wish you could use heal spells outside of battle but I don't know a way to do it.

For anyone interested in keyboard controls, here are some: http://shadowrun-returns.wikispaces.com/Keyboard+Controls

I just messed around with the debug mode, which gives you a console and lots of logs. You can arbitrarily load certain levels, but I didn't see a way to make an autosave happen.

Fjordson

Is there any way to get the soundtrack separate from the $30 edition on Steam? My Kickstarter pledge didn't come with it =[ really want to hear it.

Zeliard

The music is awesome. It's great in the game, obviously, but I also just alt-tab and let it loop in the background while doing other stuff. :p

Lime

Uhm, so I just bought a pistol, but how do I equip it? I had to get another weapon slot, but I don't know how I'll enter my "stash" or whatever it is called from my inventory HUD:

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently the stash is only available at the Seamstresses Union or Mission Starts. But where this stash is at the former I have no idea (yet)

Uhm, so I just bought a pistol, but how do I equip it? I had to get another weapon slot, but I don't know how I'll enter my "stash" or whatever it is called from my inventory HUD:

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Press the power icon and select the wrench icon I believe.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its unfortunate but the interface was most definitely designed for tablets and it shows. Why they decided to do a casual game i dont know (well its not really casual but the limited interface options hurt). I guess DAT money is a good reason but KS took care of that.

Eusis

Its unfortunate but the interface was most definitely designed for tablets and it shows. Why they decided to do a casual game i dont know (well its not really casual but the limited interface options hurt). I guess DAT money is a good reason but KS took care of that.
Similar to the autosave debacle they seem to primarily be going with what they're familiar with. Kind of wish I could buy from the site and get both Steam and Android versions though.

Blizzard

Banned
You can change the game speed to make everything animate crazy fast if you want, with the "game speed 4" or whatever console command.

If anyone wants to heal outside of battle, you can use "manualturnmode" in the console.

If anyone gets stuck in manual turn mode after battle, you can use "manualturnmode off" in the console.

I'm too deeply engrossed with SMT IV to dare start this now, but hopefully I get to it before it goes on Steam sale for less than I paid on Kickstarter.

Despite the criticism of the lack of depth within the systems, and the linearity, I've been so incredibly starved for a such a well written stat pumping class based tactical RPG, that it's really not a bother at all.

The game oozes atmosphere due to the soundtrack, writing and overall aesthetic. The stylised aspect doesn't detract from the maturity of the experience. In the past, a stylised aesthetic has always come at the cost of a mature tone within games, or a becoming a license to fill everything with pop culture references.

I know not all will be impressed or satisfied, but Harebrained had a considerably lower budget than the other big Kickstarters...which is something that needs to be respected. Overall, a great game, and I'm doubly proud that it's another Kickstarter success (So far for me).

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Does the game look better than the screenshots make it look? A lot of the screens look so angular, they kind of look like it's a cyberpunk Facebook game.

I want to play this, but I don't want to be disappointed again. I remember when the P&P RPG first came out, and we played a lot of it. The cartridge game(s) were great.. and the FPS wasn't Shadowrun.. but I want this done right.

pa22word

So, is this worth an impulse buy?

Despite some warts (save system, euch) it's definitely worth it @ $20 if you're into these kind of turn based, SRPG-type games.

Does the game look better than the screenshots make it look? A lot of the screens look so angular, they kind of look like it's a cyberpunk Facebook game.

I'm playing it on a 32" 1920x1080 TV and I think it looks gorgeous when I'm playing it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Despite the criticism of the lack of depth within the systems, and the linearity, I've been so incredibly starved for a such a well written stat pumping class based tactical RPG, that it's really not a bother at all.

The game oozes atmosphere due to the soundtrack, writing and overall aesthetic. The stylised aspect doesn't detract from the maturity of the experience. In the past, a stylised aesthetic has always come at the cost of a mature tone within games, or a becoming a license to fill everything with pop culture references.

I know not all will be impressed or satisfied, but Harebrained had a considerably lower budget than the other big Kickstarters...which is something that needs to be respected. Overall, a great game, and I'm doubly proud that it's another Kickstarter success (So far for me).

Makes me excited to see whats possible with Wasteland, PE and Torment. Those guys really made it clear they were aiming square at hardcore PC crowd. I thought Shadowrun was going to be that way but they didnt harp on it like the other guys.

I want to play this, but I don't want to be disappointed again. I remember when the P&P RPG first came out, and we played a lot of it. The cartridge game(s) were great.. and the FPS wasn't Shadowrun.. but I want this done right.

I dont know, watch some gameplay on youtube. It has a slick visual style, sub-par animations, good story and sound design. I guess it could be a facebook game, but all you should care about is that it has good art.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I can nitpick the interface and save system all day, but overall I'm having an absolute blast with this. Just did the first major boss battle (which was damn tough) and I think the combat has a great amount of depth once you're running a balanced squad of runners.

If you look at their studio progression from Crimson: Steam Pirates to Strikefleet to this game. You can see they are getting more and more skilled and their games are getting more advanced. I think money and knowledge played a heavy factor in the limits of this game, plus the whole licensing thing. 4M does go pretty quick though when you have a studio and employees to pay.

I hope someone sees the potential for a real Shadowrun opener on Xbox. N not a crappy FPS MP only game and they get funded hard.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Save system seems very anti tablet as well. I mean most tablet games are meant to be played in short spurts on the toilet or train/bus, not in the long stretches this can go without saving.

Eusis

With a very anti-casual save system?
Given how many modern AAA games depend on auto-saves it actually could be argued as the most casual save system: millions don't seem to mind enough to not get the games, and they literally don't have to think about saves at all!

Problem is that it's a system that works best either in linear shooters where you may die frequently anyway, or games cleanly segmented into stages with saving automatically done after each stage. Something like this, it's just terrible.

mclem

So modding in better save points with tools:

A) no way
B) too soon to tell if possible?

Depends *why* it has checkpoint saves in the first place. If it's the reason I suspect, it may not be possible without significant changes to the executable - but it may not be for that reason, and so we have to say B.

Eusis

It'll be nice if they can at least patch in or mod in a place that forces an auto save. Basically just making a traditional style save point so we have something can depend on rather than the game going "yeah sure I'll save."

mclem

It'll be nice if they can at least patch in or mod in a place that forces an auto save. Basically just making a traditional style save point so we have something can depend on rather than the game going "yeah sure I'll save."

My suspicion is that there's no (or only minimal) coding to save actor states on a given map, so the checkpoint saves work because they can safely restore to the *original* version of the map. But then, I've not yet played the game; I'm only basing this on theorising and a little experience of coding save systems myself.

cj_iwakura

Love the OST so far, but that's to be expected. Writing reminds me of V:TM Bloodlines.

Which is basically the highest praise I can give.

Between this and SMTIV, it's a great month for cyberpunk.
(Yes SMTIV is cyberpunk.)

It's already available. Go to the content option on the main menu, and from there you can get to the editor.

Huh, missed that the first time.

Thanks! I'm toying around with it now. This...could consume a lot of my time.

I might, unfortunately, have to wait for others to make tilesets and skins and leech of their hard work as that is not my area of expertise. Man, I already have campaign ideas running around through my head.

My suspicion is that there's no (or only minimal) coding to save actor states on a given map, so the checkpoint saves work because they can safely restore to the *original* version of the map. But then, I've not yet played the game; I'm only basing this on theorising and a little experience of coding save systems myself.

That makes perfect sense. Still, I hope they got the message that they're going to have to invest a bit more time and money to improve the save system. Reviews for this game would be 9+, instead of 7-8's, if the checkpoints didn't suck so bad. I love literally everything else about it.

pa22word

Save system seems very anti tablet as well. I mean most tablet games are meant to be played in short spurts on the toilet or train/bus, not in the long stretches this can go without saving.
Don't most modern tablets/phones have built in suspend features for applications though? That'd make save anywhere kind of redundant, although still nice to have I guess.

That makes perfect sense. Still, I hope they got the message that they're going to have to invest a bit more time and money to improve the save system. Reviews for this game would be 9+ if the checkpoints didn't suck so bad. I love literally everything else about it.

I kinda doubt that. Which isn't to say I don't like the game or think it's deserving of 9+ level scores or anything. I just don't see the enthusiast press (in bulk) throwing those kinds of scores around for something like this. Not unless all the "right" reviewers fell in line to review the game. They, by and large, value polish and production values over everything else, and you're never going to get such a thing out of a game like this.

Despite the quality of the title, the upper 8 range (88ish on MC) was always the peak for review average on this game, sadly enough.

I kinda doubt that. Which isn't to say I don't like the game or think it's deserving of 9+ level scores or anything. I just don't see the enthusiast press (in bulk) throwing those kinds of scores around for something like this. Not unless all the "right" reviewers fell in line to review the game. They, by and large, value polish and production values over everything else, and you're never going to get such a thing out of a game like this.

Despite the quality of the title, the upper 8 range (88ish on MC) was always the peak for review average on this game, sadly enough.

You're probably right. But, I do think the save system can impact a person's level of enjoyment. Losing 30 minutes of gameplay for a bad dice roll is... not ideal.

Tenrius

What's so good about mod support anyway? Unofficial campaigns very rarely reach any decent level of quality (in my experience with NWN, Morrowind, Skyrim etc), so the official campaign is probably as good as it gets. The mods that usually do matter, like various open world tweaks, graphical improvements and other thing typically modded into Bethesda games are largely irrelevant to this game because of its nature and the editor supposedly doesn't allow that as well.

But still there's a lot of talk about how this game might be not so great (often by people who haven't even played it yet), but the mod support will redeem any issues, even in the RPS review. Almost as if for some people the potential mods are more interesting than the game itself, which is simply not doing it justice.

Lime

SO should I pull the trigger or wait to see how the mod tools turn out?

The campaign is worth it in itself, imo. Decent writing and a well-executed atmosphere.

If you're low on cash, you could probably wait for the Christmas sale, but if you want a ncely written isometric turnbased RPG that harks back to the PC days of old (albeit without much item and level complexity), this game will scratch that itch.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Neat game, but do hate the whole no saving where you want. Fucks over those who cant constantly game till the next autosave point.

They did nail the atmosphere with the writing though. Also Jake showing up was hilarious.

The music (well the game actually) tends to hiccup when you enter the character inventory screen to view the equipment on your avatar.

Also when accessing the stash at the Seamstress place.

Every single time. For every character that you swap through.

Are the 3D character models not cached for that screen?

Also, if I change the map to anything (free and auto) except fixed, it will lazily drift my entire screen to the left for some reason, even when not moving the mouse or pressing any keyboard keys.

Other than that it runs flawlessly on my 4.5 year old laptop (Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz, Radeon 4670) at 1080p with HD textures. Had to leave MSAA to 0x though. And on some open maps, the framerate will drop to 30 from 60 smooth when zoomed out far enough. There's forced double buffered Vsync that can't be turned off, so I just ended up using D3D overrider instead.

Great game so far, with some excellent written dialogue that is a rarity in most games nowadays.

Can't wait to see what modders do with it.

Zeliard

What's so good about mod support anyway? Unofficial campaigns very rarely reach any decent level of quality (in my experience with NWN, Morrowind, Skyrim etc), so the official campaign is probably as good as it gets. The mods that usually do matter, like various open world tweaks, graphical improvements and other thing typically modded into Bethesda games are largely irrelevant to this game because of its nature and the editor supposedly doesn't allow that as well.

But still there's a lot of talk about how this game might be not so great (often by people who haven't even played it yet), but the mod support will redeem any issues, even in the RPS review. Almost as if for some people the potential mods are more interesting than the game itself, which is simply not doing it justice.

The reason people are excited for user-generated content with SRR in particular is because it harkens back to the PnP game, where players would prolifically create and share their own story campaigns.

I don't think it's meant to downplay the main campaign as much as to convey how strong a base this is and how mods may positively impact the game's longevity, as well as to emphasize that the game's overall value should take that into account.

cj_iwakura

My current, uh, posse:

xArSIbc.jpg

Top Bottom