• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Tenrius

One of the first characters you meet is named Dresden - after the GAF mod no doubt.

And the guy in the white shirt in my screenshot kinda resembles EviLore if you look close enough. It all makes sense!

What does the FC acronym stand for? And those Harebrained have anything to do with GAF at all?

It's probably a real coincidence, I was just making a joke. FC could stand for anything like Footbal Club, Friend Code or whatever else.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I haven't had the time to play through it yet. Is this the full game? or is this an episodic game? I'm confused.

I did get past the menu screen, created a character, checked the desk, then had to shut it down. Hope to get back to it sooner or later.

Assigning points was weird at first glance. I didn't know if I was putting points in or taking them out.

Lord Phol

Only played like 30 minutes but enjoying it so far. Something I haven't figured out yet is what "wounded" means, does anyone know?

Zeliard

Loving the descriptive text in the game. Miss that sort of thing in most modern RPGs.

Environmental storytelling is nice and all but some well-written lines of prose can be very worthwhile in creating an evocative setting and communicating specific details about characters. I prefer the combination of the two, as text alongside good art does more to play on a person's imagination.

FACE

Banned
yeah but FC3 is not steam exclusive on PC and is also on the consoles, also a very demanding game hardware wise.

Still 25k nothing to sneeze at.

I had forgotten about that :p

I was specifically talking about the PC version of FC3, if I recall correctly it sold >1 mill on PC.

Tenrius

I really want to find out where the autosaves go if there's a chance a freeze could lose them. I just froze in the shop screen after changing into new armor. Even shift-tab for the Steam overlay did not work. I alt tabbed and came back and things started working, but for a minute it was entirely frozen.

Also is there any way to change outfits with something from your stash? Right after I bought it, it gave me the (potentially freezing) dialog to do it, but now when I talk to the shopkeeper and look at my stash, there is no option to equip anything from it. Actually, I can't figure out how to get items from my stash into my inventory. Am I missing something?

Wait till you get to the safehouse, you can access your stash from there.

Blizzard

Banned
Wait till you get to the safehouse, you can access your stash from there.
Thanks, I was hoping there would be some way to get things in and out of the stash.

Or Harry Dresden
This was the first thing I thought of since I'm a big fan of the Dresden Files. There's even a coroner friend of Harry in those books! It's probably just coincidence though since Dresden is a decent fantasy name.

Blizzard

Banned
How do I save? I'm in a battle so I'm not sure if I even can.
You can't ever save, whether inbattle or quitting a game. Alt-tab doesn't pause either, though since it's turn-based that isn't a big deal besides the music continuing to play.

You have to keep playing until you see an "Game Autosaved" message in the top left corner.

I just played until I saw that, with Process Monitor running, and then I quit to the main menu and left the game. I still didn't see ANY WriteFile operations that seemed like they might be updating a save file. The only thing that might be it are the Unity web player cache files and that still seems strange to me.

Nohar

Enjoying the game. The writing is very good, love it.
However, the auto-save system (with no manual saves) is really putting me off.
And I guessed I failed a side-mission (post-Royal Palace events):
I managed to storm a place with Coyote and Paco to rescue Gino, but dude killed himself... And I didn't have a spare save for that part :'(

Zeliard

More keyboard hotkeys:

G - Inventory
C - Character sheet
Z - Cycles through three levels of zoom (in case you don't want to or can't use mouse wheel)

Tenrius

By the way, the SNES version seems to be mentioned a lot, which cannot be said about the Mega Drive game. Why is that? Is it considered inferior?

The writing, character and environment art in this game is fucking top notch. The character models are decent enough, especially for a game I Kickstarted for $15. Since the combat is basically X-Com, I have very few, if any, issues with it other than wishing mousing over icons would give you a tooltip for it.

What's really funny is, all of this is making me SO EXCITED to take a look at the editor when it is available. I can already imagine the campaigns and freedom of working with it that would allow people to make incredible works. Since it's all text-based and comes to life through dialogue and descriptions, there can be some real creative campaigns people could make outta this. Not to mention that the decent, if low complexity, models and tiles will make for amazing custom work.

I am literally chomping at the bit to mess with it. Feel like digging through my old roleplaying notebooks back home to find my old Shadowrun campaign I ran where my friend played an elf detective and her partner was a troll cop. Had to solve an illegal cloning ring where people were trafficking clones for prostitution, cheap labor and whatever else. God, the look on my friends faces when they put two and two together and figured out what was going on was worth it.

cj_iwakura

By the way, the SNES version seems to be mentioned a lot, which cannot be said about the Mega Drive game. Why is that? Is it considered inferior?

They're wildly different games, but I believe more played the SNES version. I like the Genesis one more.
Sega CD's is the best.

Vlodril

Being playing for a while now and this is pretty good. Also i have questions.

How do you dispel a summon? How do you jack into the matrix? I have done a bunch a missions and havent find anything so far. Also how do you end a battle? I have killed everyone but my characters are still going in turn based mode.

bengraven

I'm not going to get Berlin because I pre-ordered right after the KS ended, right? That's only for those who KSed it? And I have to pay because I supported it a few days late?

Just be honest with me guys, I'm tough. I can take it. :(

Ogimachi

3 hours in and enjoying it a lot so far. I just wish the interface was made with PC in mind first, it feels like I'm using a mouse in a tablet game.

FACE

Banned
3 hours in and enjoying it a lot so far. I just wish the interface was made with PC in mind first, it feels like I'm using a mouse in a tablet game.

Well, you are. Harebrained are primarily a mobile developer.

I'm not going to get Berlin because I pre-ordered right after the KS ended, right? That's only for those who KSed it? And I have to pay because I supported it a few days late?

Just be honest with me guys, I'm tough. I can take it. :(

Correct, and it's super shitty of them to do that. It's the main reason why I've canceled my order.

Tenrius

How do you manage programs in your deck? I bought five programs and my new deck allows four. I can see one program in the stash and that's it.

Being playing for a while now and this is pretty good. Also i have questions.

How do you dispel a summon? How do you jack into the matrix? I have done a bunch a missions and havent find anything so far. Also how do you end a battle? I have killed everyone but my characters are still going in turn based mode.

You can check the game help system, it's quite informative. Don't know about summons, but you have to look for access spots to jack into anything, it has special symbol. I haven't seen any yet, either. As for the battle, it's likely you haven't killed everyone just yet. Is it in the penthouse?

Eusis

Actually the Genesis game seems to be considered the better one in general by those that played both, but yeah I think most of us just played the SNES one but didn't play the Genesis one, certainly it's the SNES one I played and the one that made me interested in Shadowrun to begin with.

You can't.

The game doesn't have manual save functionality, only autosave.
Thanks
This post made me laugh for real.
>=(

You can't ever save, whether inbattle or quitting a game. Alt-tab doesn't pause either, though since it's turn-based that isn't a big deal besides the music continuing to play.

You have to keep playing until you see an "Game Autosaved" message in the top left corner.

I just played until I saw that, with Process Monitor running, and then I quit to the main menu and left the game. I still didn't see ANY WriteFile operations that seemed like they might be updating a save file. The only thing that might be it are the Unity web player cache files and that still seems strange to me.
Hmm very strange. Ok though, it is what it is. I just don't want to lose progress again.

Lime

Loving the descriptive text in the game. Miss that sort of thing in most modern RPGs.

Environmental storytelling is nice and all but some well-written lines of prose can be very worthwhile in creating an evocative setting and communicating specific details about characters. I prefer the combination of the two, as text alongside good art does more to play on a person's imagination.

You and me both. Well-constructed and playful writing can go a long way in making me enjoy any experience - it's a reason why literature isn't just a formal description of events, characters, and location, but also about the form and how it is depicted or told.

Blizzard

Banned
Someone on the Steam discussions pointed out that though the store page does not say so, the game apparently saves to the cloud.

You can find save files here, though I don't know if the Steam save gets corrupted whether you can overwrite these files and force-overwrite the cloud:

Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[number]\234650\remote\saves

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game is actually pretty cool. Cant really remember the last game where i had to read all the dialog. Been a while. Only bad thing, the game has a bad audio stuttering glitch when stuff is loading. Kinda kills the mood a little. I know its a glitch cause i saw it happen in other peoples LPs.

Tenrius

I've been pointing out mostly negative things for the last few posts, but of course I also have to say that I'm really enjoying the game otherwise. The story is just very intriguing and I like that there are recurring characters you meet in new situations.

The game only stutters in shops and the stash for me, by the way, and only every once in a while.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

They are different. The heavy focus on story marks this game as being more in line with the SNES game.

Vlodril

How do you manage programs in your deck? I bought five programs and my new deck allows four. I can see one program in the stash and that's it.

You can check the game help system, it's quite informative. Don't know about summons, but you have to look for access spots to jack into anything, it has special symbol. I haven't seen any yet, either. As for the battle, it's likely you haven't killed everyone just yet. Is it in the penthouse?

There is an icon by the summon to dismiss it i just didn't see it :p And yes there were two people left. I ve done five or so missions and still no matrix. Maybe i am missing them ill check the help button.

Blizzard

Banned
If you have someone in your party with a heal spell, is it possible to heal everyone outside of battle? Or do you have to wait for battle to be able to use the spell? That seems a little funny if so.

Zeliard

There is some annoyance with the UI. I had a point where the yellow flavor text overlapped with other text that hadn't yet vanished, making it unreadable. You can't click on whatever the object was again because you have no more prompt, and of course, you can't reload unless you want to redo chunks of content.

Sera O

Banned
I only just now checked my email to discover it's now out and playable! I can't wait to give it a shot once I get home. I've been avoiding the updates in the past few months because I wanted to start it without much in the way of expectations, so I just have one question - if I don't have a problem with using Steam, I should just go ahead and grab that version as it will be the comprehensive one with hooks for user-created content, correct? I remember there were issues over the DRM-free version being somewhat gimped, but I'm not sure if that has changed.

I'm going to have to tear myself away from SMT4 for this - the battle for my weekend game time has begun.

Top Bottom