• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

MNC

The art style is really hit or miss. The ingame stuff looks great, the character portrait doesn't always. Plus the in game animation is... odd at times? I still really want to try this. Never played a Shadowrun game before.

erragal

Definitely not seeing a way to do that and I'm not in combat. The inventory screen doesn't mention the stash at all.

If you don't have any items it might not show up? It's directly to the right of your inventory; there should be blank slots and it should say Stash at the top? Game seems like it autoequips everything it can and there was no way to unequip an item if you don't have a replacement. I'd try to acquire either an item you can't equip yet or one for which all your slots are full and it should show up. I definitely used it last night swapping grenades around etc.

Edit: Ahh according to poster above you have to be completely outside of a mission zone. I'll have to see exactly when/where after I'm home.

Lack of save fucking sucks.

I accidentally left on a mission with one teammate short but the game autosaved so now I'm stuck doing it with one less...

Also :
At the brotherhood building, the secret door behind
the fridge
(not sure if this is even a spoiler) , when you want to go through it it says there is no way back....
But when you try to go to the inner sanctum it also says there is no way back....

So which are you supposed to go through first? :\

Grayman

I accidentally left on a mission with one teammate short but the game autosaved so now I'm stuck doing it with one less...

Also :
the fridge
(not sure if this is even a spoiler) , when you want to go through it it says there is no way back....
But when you try to go to the inner sanctum it also says there is no way back....

i went through the first location mentioned and never got to see the second.

a lot happened there so I am wondering if the inner sanctum is a quick stop or if the game diverges a lot in that mission. I got save screwed out of a team mate a few missions before that too.

duckroll

Under what conditions can you equip stuff from your stash? I've only gotten the popup after buying something so far, but I certainly hope I don't have to buy something just to be able to equip something I already own.

Have you unlocked the safehouse yet? If not, keep playing. If you have, you can access your stash in the bottom right room.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I played for a little bit last night, maybe an hour or so. Really enjoying it so far. Feels good to be back in the Shadowrun universe. I love the writing as well, and the story is compelling. I'm so glad I backed this game.

i went through the first location mentioned and never got to see the second.

a lot happened there so I am wondering if the inner sanctum is a quick stop or if the game diverges a lot in that mission. I got save screwed out of a team mate a few missions before that too.

I went through the second (the regular door with the guardian bots, not the secret door) and never got to see the secret one lol...

did you rescue the niece of Sam's sister? and meet the bugs?
or did something else happen?

Metal B

I seriously don't like the UI of the game. It begins with having an power-switch symbol to get exsas to your game stats. I needed a little bit of courage to press on the freaking thing. Since people in our day and age connect the symbol with shutting down something, what is actual running. Like a game. Especially if it isn't part of an machine, doesn't clearly indicate its status and simple floats on the screen.
Another example is, how the APs aren't prominent enough. One of the important variables and it took me a while to find them. Sometimes I completely forgot them and try to chose an already moved character.

The UI is compact for the tablet-version I guess, but for the PC-Version there just too much unused space. There is a lot of other problems, which mostly don't hurt the game, but are really annoying.

Grayman

I went through the second (the regular door with the guardian bots, not the secret door) and never got to see the secret one lol...

did you rescue the niece of Sam's sister? and meet the bugs?
or did something else happen?

I got a young decker woman out of a cell, marie i think, and was confronted by sam's sister who had the undying bugs attack until I got a door open with the matrix and ran away. I also got the optional objective to find what happened to Shane for Cherry Bomb

Grayman

I seriously don't like the UI of the game. It begins with having an power-switch symbol to get exsas to your game stats. I needed a little bit of courage to press on the freaking thing. Since people in our day and age connect the symbol with shutting down something, what is actual running. Like a game. Especially if it isn't part of an machine, doesn't clearly indicate its status and simple floats on the screen.
Another example is, how the APs aren't prominent enough. One of the important variables and it took me a while to find them. Sometimes I completely forgot them and try to chose an already moved character.

The UI is compact for the tablet-version I guess, but for the PC-Version there just too much unused space. There is a lot of other problems, which mostly don't hurt the game, but are really annoying.

One ui part that really gets me is not having numeric HP current/max shown.

Does the story change depending on whether or not after the (location)
Cemetery
you go
back to the Union or go straight to the battle location?

Aeana

Healing magic in this game is unbelievably awful. Only being able to heal as much damage as you last took is just dumb. *reloads save*

So how is the game? Is it worth the premium price? Is it holds as good as the Snes and Genesis Shadowrun games? I am hesitant to buy it because of my huge backlog but a good cyberpunk RPG is what I need now.

So what's your opinion until now.

mclem

So this game is #1 bestseller on Steam at the moment. Did the devs said anything about sales numbers? Are they happy with them?

It's probably a little early for that, but it peaked at 24k concurrent players yesterday, which doesn't strike me as bad at all. We'll see how the weekend goes.

Sulik2

Looking forward to getting to play Shadowrun this weekend. I remember the hacking being really cool in the 16-bit days. Is it still that use black ice and powers thing on a grid I kind of remember?

Brakara

It's probably a little early for that, but it peaked at 24k concurrent players yesterday, which doesn't strike me as bad at all. We'll see how the weekend goes.

It had more than 36k backers, so concurrent players is not the best indicator of sales. Then again, every sale on Steam must be a win for them (pure profit).

How thin can I spread myself with the Karma points?
Also, I have 1 AP to spend while having a drone activated. Any way to increase it?

You get one more ap during the story (maybe another later, or through gear idk)
Also theres a buff to give one char extra AP for x turns.

As for karma, i'd go for a build and stick to it.
I'm assault rifle user + decker (hacker) + drone user right now, with 6 levels in charisma as well but nothing in other weapons or the shaman stuff or anything.
You can level up a few things but you need to go for a synergy or specialty, you can't make an allround character that does everything.

duckroll

Looking forward to getting to play Shadowrun this weekend. I remember the hacking being really cool in the 16-bit days. Is it still that use black ice and powers thing on a grid I kind of remember?

This? :)

ss_c6a698ad09946f080c78cbe8ae276b7a059f9318.1920x1080.jpg

Riddler

So how is the game? Is it worth the premium price? Is it holds as good as the Snes and Genesis Shadowrun games? I am hesitant to buy it because of my huge backlog but a good cyberpunk RPG is what I need now.

So what's your opinion until now.

I think it's just as good compared to the 16bit games. Steam says I played 8 but I did leave it on for a couple hours to eat.

Anyways I stopped playing SMT4 for this and I'm glad I did.

Playing on hard seems like a good place to start if you have any amount of experience in this type of game.

RPing a female elf decker with a pistol along with security,academic, shadowrunner etiquette's.

Some of the best parts is going into scenes with tons of dialog options and never once going into battle unless its forced.

Wasted all that money on building a team only to enter the
inter sanctum
alone disguised :/

Edit: What in the hell? It said that I would be unable to retrieve my team but they all spawned with me. Is that a bug or something they forgot? It even mentions when you choose to do so that doing so would not involve your team and that is the last chance. What a bummer.

Any word on the Berlin campaign? Can I import by Seattle character? Is my Socialite Elf Rifle-Sword-Drone user going to get as call from a mysterious man going, "Guten Tak!"

I think it's just as good compared to the 16bit games. Steam says I played 8 but I did leave it on for a couple hours to eat.

Anyways I stopped playing SMT4 for this and I'm glad I did.

Playing on hard seems like a good place to start if you have any amount of experience in this type of game.

RPing a female elf decker with a pistol along with security,academic, shadowrunner etiquette's.

Some of the best parts is going into scenes with tons of dialog options and never once going into battle unless its forced.

Thanks for your time answering my questions, Rid. I will make the jump I really love shadowrun and this was a good opportunity to revisit the franchise.

Can anyone tell me when you unlock the backer exclusive ability and what it is ?

(I got the Docwagon thing unlocked when I arrived in Seattle, (and I think the Ghost in the bar is backer only judging by his dialogue) but I still haven't seen the Backer Ability anywhere)

And they didn't spawn this time, what a mess. Are you supposed to be able to disguise yourself
Into the Inner Sanctum?
It's what the dialogue on the warning implies but I come in without my disguise now :/

I played a bit briefly yesterday. I didn't think I'd have issue with the save system, but as I'm currently playing SMT4 with its generous save-anywhere sysystem, it's starting to hurt. Game itself is pretty fun and I was happy seeing
Jake pop out of the morgue freezer
. I'm glad I backed this and will continue to play when I have time (since that save system... ggrrr...).

Does anyone know if we get more outfits in the later levels? I cannot wear anything else than my starting jacket cause everything else looks a bit ridiculous.

I'm worried about the armor rating.

Grayman

Does anyone know if we get more outfits in the later levels? I cannot wear anything else than my starting jacket cause everything else looks a bit ridiculous.

I'm worried about the armor rating.

the vendors have a big upgrade to their merchandise inventories after a few missions.

Zaph

Anyone recommend a class (or build tutorial) for someone who never really played these type of games?

Got the the stat screen and already felt way out of my league.

I'm a really shitty gamer. I've died twice in the Royal Apartments mission now. Entirely my fault, and it isn't even hard. iSuck.

(And then I went to play some SMT4 to let off steam, only to get wiped by a normal encounter after a while too. iReallySuck. >_<)

It's like you're me.

Well, except for dying in Royale. But I did take a break, go to SMTIV and get wiped. Go to hell Navarre.

I'm sorta curious if good sales will push them to release more developer content later. That would be cool cause I'd be down for dropping a couple dollars every now and again for new missions/locations/what-have-you.

erragal

Anyone recommend a class (or build tutorial) for someone who never really played these type of games?

Got the the stat screen and already felt way out of my league.

I'd go street samurai and try to put a few early points into charisma to get a 2nd etiquette. Otherwise focus on quickness/gun of your choice/body/dodge/throwing. Not having to worry too much about essence should free you to pick the cyberware you want and plenty of money for powerful grenades.

Blizzard

Banned
I nearly died even on normal, since I ended up in a fight when I didn't have any healing abilities on my team, and I burned all my medkits. Is there any way to cancel the 4-damage-per-turn fire effect? I wasn't sure if a medkit heals it and it does a lot of damage. Or is it just X number of turns and you can't heal it besides maybe Dispel?

Save complaints feel shallow to me. Checkpoints are generous, it prevents save scumming (already common in tactics rpgs) which fits in with the hard choices they give you and perma npc death. The more I play, the more it feels like a design decision as well as an efficiency decision.
I don't think either of these are true. For the second part, I can look up the quote for you if you like, but I think one of the developers said that none of them like the idea of a checkpoint save system and it was just that it was difficult and they didn't have time to do it otherwise.

For the first part, you are incorrect about save scumming in the sense that there are built-in buttons described in the help scenes to copy and rewind saves. There's also an FAQ pinned in the Steam community that even gives an example of reloading/rewinding if you want to redo something, though that may just be a fan FAQ that got pinned. At any rate, you can try it yourself. Any autosave can be rewinded or copied, and you can replay whole sections of the game this way.

And finally, you may be missing the major point of the complaints -- I and probably a fair number of other people in this thread are not asking for saves so we can redo dialog choices. We are wanting saves so that if something comes up, we can quit the game and resume it at any point in time, instead of having to play another 15-40 minutes for an autosave point (especially on the harder difficulties, which might involve 2+ tough fights to get there). Of course, with any save system I would also want the saves to be 100% reliable, which is apparently not the case since I believe I saw some people reporting that if the game freezes or crashes, you can lose save file(s). It uses the Steam cloud setup and I guess there is some way they can be corrupted.

At any time you're not in combat. In the character screen you can select the inventory tab and drag items/spells between stash and character. There's also a larger storage stash as the safehouse you work from. There might be an inventory hotkey too but it wasn't intuitive and I didn't go searching.
As pointed out, this is also incorrect. You can only get to the stash at certain times, such as after purchasing a new item, and when in the saferoom.

erragal

I nearly died even on normal, since I ended up in a fight when I didn't have any healing abilities on my team, and I burned all my medkits. Is there any way to cancel the 4-damage-per-turn fire effect? I wasn't sure if a medkit heals it and it does a lot of damage. Or is it just X number of turns and you can't heal it besides maybe Dispel.

As pointed out, this is also incorrect. You can only get to the stash at certain times, such as after purchasing a new item, and when in the saferoom.

You can dispel them. Dots are very powerful though in that they also ignore armor/soak/dodge checks.

It does prevent true save scumming. The idea that you can save before every round of combat and meticulously grind out a perfect battle to accomplish an optional objective. Replaying entire sections is not the same thing at all. It also creates a natural penalty for failure that save anywhere games simply don't have.

I know what the devs said. I even specifically mentioned 'in spite of their objections.'; as in its very easy to lie when it serves your interest. Maybe people want save anywhere; I do not. The combat missions are not lengthy enough to seem a barrier for short play sessions. I like the save system and we need more rigid save pointing to discourage people from trying everything in a single playthrough. Roleplay, don't rollplay.

I mentioned in a later post how I was not aware of that specific stash mechani ..and you even acknowledged that. Not sure of your point

Blizzard

Banned
You can dispel them. Dots are very powerful though in that they also ignore armor/soak/dodge checks.
Thanks, I guess I will have to find someone to put Dispel on.

It does prevent true save scumming. The idea that you can save before every round of combat and meticulously grind out a perfect battle to accomplish an optional objective. Replaying entire sections is not the same thing at all. It also creates a natural penalty for failure that save anywhere games simply don't have.
That is true that it would prevent replaying small sections of battles. I think the possibility of a few players tailoring the gameplay to their preferences is worthwhile tradeoff to let people quit the game when they want though, especially in a singleplayer game. I mean, you can turn godmode on or play on easy mode if you want to, but presumably most players won't do that.

I know what the devs said. I even specifically mentioned 'in spite of their objections.'; as in its very easy to lie when it serves your interest.
Where did you say that? Maybe I just misread, but I could not find it in this thread. And are you suggesting the devs are lying about it? Has there been anything to suggest they've lied in the past? It seems a bit of a stretch that they would do it for that in particular.

Maybe people want save anywhere; I do not. The combat missions are not lengthy enough to seem a barrier for short play sessions. I like the save system and we need more rigid save pointing to discourage people from trying everything in a single playthrough. Roleplay, don't rollplay.
This confuses me a bit, since this is a personal preference for a singleplayer game. Why should other players have your philosophy forced on them if it's completely optional, especially if you are in the minority? Just like you choose not to play on easy or use godmode, as I pointed out above, you could choose not to make manual saves even if the option were available.

Xater

Also :
the fridge

You are not stuck. That's what the rewind feature is for. That gies you access to load from any previous checkpoint.

So one cannot replace cyberware with better parts? Want to switch legs!

You can only upgrade already installed parts. I upgraded my basic legs with the alpha version.

erragal

Thanks, I guess I will have to find someone to put Dispel on.

That is true that it would prevent replaying small sections of battles. I think the possibility of a few players tailoring the gameplay to their preferences is worthwhile tradeoff to let people quit the game when they want though, especially in a singleplayer game. I mean, you can turn godmode on or play on easy mode if you want to, but presumably most players won't do minority?

Because people don't always know what makes the best and most memorable experiences for themselves. I also am not particularly concerned about the majority. Most people use all the tools available to accomplish a task; remove that tool then no one will use it. Intense reloading is a huge factor in the perceived difficulty decrease in games; people complain about time as a punishment in games for failure...but that's because it's an effective tool for forcing people to reevaluate their methods. If there's no way to force the player to reevaluate their methods because they have a free pass to exploit encounters then they aren't playing a game at all. At that point combat isn't a system, its just an annoyance.

More checkpoints, less save anywhere.

Despite only using parts worth 3 essence, it says I only have one available :/ It even told me beforehand "Essence after surgery 2" and then proceeded to not do such. There are bugs in this game for sure
lol

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm a huge fan of this IP. I'm so excited that Shadowrun is back in video game RPG form, and I'm happy that some people are able to glean some enjoyment out of this, but as someone who never really liked the SNES game, I can't find any fun in this. I'm trying to play through it and it's just so linear and boring. Even compared to the linear SNES game this is restrictive. You're hand held way too much, there's almost nothing to do in any area. The combat is like XCOM dumbed down to a Flash game.

I'm holding out hope that modders can make this more enjoyable if not give me the true open world Shadowrun RPG I want, but as packaged this is one of the most disappointing games I've ever played, and after waiting all this time for it, it guts me to say that.

Tanolen

Game has been alot of fun so far playing as a Troll unarmed adept. Basically playing as a monk. Seems it takes alot of karma to play this build, hopefully i am able to get enough.

So this game is #1 bestseller on Steam at the moment. Did the devs said anything about sales numbers? Are they happy with them?

Probably even after crowdfunding the development, and thus profitable sales, I would bet my account on it that they won't go in and add the functionality that they said wasn't included for budget reasons. (Namely save and loot systems)

duckroll

The save system is bad and the devs themselves are aware of it. If they have the resources to (hopefully they will since the game seems to be selling really well) they will no doubt fix it at some point. I don't see the point of anyone attempting to defend what is a technical problem. It's stupid.

I don't think most fans asking for a better save system are demanding multiple save files, or even saving during battles. What most people expect and want is a manual system which allows you to save the game when you feel like quitting, instead of being at the mercy of a checkpoint system. If you've finished a mission and you're hanging around the safehouse talking to people, buying stuff, customizing your character, etc - you SHOULD be able to save when you're done and quit the game without feeling pressured to continue on with the story immediately just to hit a checkpoint to make the game save.

There is literally NO actual advantage to the current save system which cannot be retained while still allowing manual saving when not in combat or not in a run. None. Every single "accidental" advantage anyone can come up with to defend why the save system "isn't so bad" can still be retained with a manual save system without annoying people who want such a system.

Top Bottom