• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Blizzard

Banned
A HBS employee posted a temporary fix for the audio popping/hitching issue.

Add this to your launch properties: -force-gfx-st
Was this on the Steam discussion forum? I'd like to reply wherever it was posted, because it doesn't work for me. The popping/hitching still happens when I bring up the inventory screen and models load, though that was the only place I tested.

*edit* Oh, I found it, but they didn't allow replies so I can't post feedback. =P

zkylon

zkylewd
With the editor I think there's a lot of room for bigger maps, and a more open feeling to each area.

Bring it on I say.

they also said the berlin campaign is gonna be more open ended.

the snes game was pretty weird, I mean it was an adventure game moreso than a RPG and it was very open-worldish but still gated by the story, kinda like deus ex, actually.

I'd love to play something like that, have a very special feeling I really enjoyed, even though I never managed to beat it

TIkR96W.jpg

i'm glad its made by mobile devs.
it can be played using touch only

vinicius

Neo Member
they also said the berlin campaign is gonna be more open ended.

the snes game was pretty weird, I mean it was an adventure game moreso than a RPG and it was very open-worldish but still gated by the story, kinda like deus ex, actually.

I'd love to play something like that, have a very special feeling I really enjoyed, even though I never managed to beat it
I wish the editor could create new itens/spells, that's the one thing that won't change unless the devs do something about it.

Why wouldn't they allow this, btw? Seems easy enough and would make the fan campaings much better. Maybe they want to sell DLC packs?

akira28

spoiler question:
I am in the cemetary fighting off elves and zombies and I'm a cyborg!!!1#$~..
so am I almost finished the first campaign or what?

This is a very enjoyable game but I can't help noticing that it is also a very.......none-hardcore game.

The developer clearly aimed at the very mass market audience. Perhaps because that is their strength.

I hope and wish that this seemingly successful launch open the possibility of a more involved and complex sequel.

it's a crpg. It's a point and click advenure game. They weren't always hardcore as a rule. Not a lot of deathtrap style puzzles to solve really, it's not a Kings Quest type, and it's not a Baldurs Gate type, those were more "hardcore". This was is more like BloodNet and other crpgs of that era, not one of the extreme examples. The difference is this is Shadowrun.

mneuro

spoiler question:
I am in the cemetary fighting off elves and zombies and I'm a cyborg!!!1#$~..
so am I almost finished the first campaign or what?

it's a crpg. It's a point and click advenure game. They weren't always hardcore as a rule. Not a lot of deathtrap style puzzles to solve really, it's not a Kings Quest type, and it's not a Baldurs Gate type, those were more "hardcore". This was is more like BloodNet and other crpgs of that era, not one of the extreme examples. The difference is this is Shadowrun.

I think this is part of the reason that some places are giving Shadowrun Returns mediocre reviews. People don't realize that this game was made to tell a compelling story and offer an editor to create content. It was never intended to be very difficult.

Nanashi

Banned
Well, it just got stickied, so I'm guessing those are the only two changes.

I'd rather have seen them fix the combat mode lock bug/feature and the weird bug I got in the last few missions with my pc being "dead", but I guess neither were game-breaking.

pa22word

They needed a 250 mb patch to fix two things?

Depending on the file structure they might need to replace large chunks of content wholesale in order to change a few lines of code.

Hotline Miami, for example, forces you (or rather, did force) to redownload the entire game every time they issue a patch. Might be a similar situation here.

If you kill the two Deckers that spawn after the alarm gets triggered, they don't respawn. Secondly, getting killed there just jacks you out with a lot of meat damage, which can all be reversed by a heal spell in the real world if you survive, so as long as you have a healer out there (not the jacked-in heal), you have as many tries as you want. All your ESPs come back when you jack back in, so it's easy to gank the enemy deckers - then you have all the time in the world to do the jacked-in part.

It's slightly more difficult to handle the huge ambush that comes after you at that point, but I was playing on a mage and there was a leyline in the room, so I just mezzed the big guards and destroyed the rest with an oppressive flood of fireballs.

Also - overwatch isn't a big deal if you pump dodge and body. High armour values also help - the problem is that most NPCs have pretty poor stat assignment (around 6 would be considered high for them, so they almost always get hit) - if you have 8 dodge or so, you can scout out rooms for your team, or use a shaman pet/drone as a sacrificial scout if really necessary. For resource management, some Nephilim Network guys are randomly cheaper than the normal hirees, so don't forget to check those out too. A lot of earlier missions can be run with only 2 or 3 people, so you can end up wasting a lot of cash on those.

I have 3 in dodgde and 5 in body because the combat was laughably easy up until now, I don't have problems with the harder hitting enemies now it's just a slog to play unlike xcom (enemies in xcom hit much harder but the map design is MUCH better)

the deckers do respawn, every time I get to the decking room i'm stuck in they respawn. Also one of them will put a dot on me that just outright kills me over the next few turns,

thundr51

Have to admit rather disappointed with this game. I didn't really check this out like I normally do, just saw the name/logo and ran to buy it. NOT crazy about the turn based combat, no loot and no free roaming.

On a positive note, can't wait to see what the mod community comes up with.

Gvaz

Banned
I wish I cared about Surface windows 8 shit. I sell them at work and they're just fancy wastes of money I'd never pay a cent for.

four hours in and I'm finally fighting with that shaman lady. How far in am I?

Dennis

Banned
Just played three hours. So compelling. Very happy I backed this.

For the first time I had to use my DocWagon Platinum backer reward to revive a fallen runner
It was in the fight against Dr. Holmes
. Still think the game combat is too easy even on Very Hard.

My character is a Mage but I sacrificed some Essence for a datajack and lots of Karma to also become a competent Decker.

Still cannot fathom the save complaints. It seems like such a non-issue even when playing on Very Hard.

Just played three hours. So compelling. Very happy I backed this.

For the first time I had to use my DocWagon Platinum backer reward to revive a fallen runner
It was in the fight against Dr. Holmes
. Still think the game combat is too easy even on Very Hard.

My character is a Mage but I sacrificed some Essence for a datajack and lots of Karma to also become a competent Decker.

Still cannot fathom the save complaints. It seems like such a non-issue even when playing on Very Hard.

I don't get it either I just beat the game and if you hit rewind the campaign is split into 38 checkpoints.

38!! for like a 8 hour campaign. That's like a checkpoint every 12 minutes. I mean yea it would be nice and I'm sure they are going to or someone else will add a better save function it in but really... I died twice and first time I lost about 5 minutes second time was worse and I lost about 15 cause I was at probably the longest segment in the game.

I mean its not even like you farm money and upgrade you are basically just making choices with the money and karma you earn and then from there you are playing out a visual story.

Really excited to play through some user content tomorrow. I'll stream it all. I want to dive into editor too.

Ok you guys haven't lost 30 minutes of progress but many people have. So it's weird to say you can't fathom the complaints since they are legit and situations like that happen all the time.

Dennis

Banned
What I want now is for them to put out a quick sequel.

Just reuse all (OK, most) of the art assets and the engine but make a longer and more difficult campaign. Easy money for them, solidies the Shadowrun IP and more game for us.

Talyn

What I want now is for them to put out a quick sequel.

Just reuse all (OK, most) of the art assets and the engine but make a longer and more difficult campaign. Easy money for them, solidies the Shadowrun IP and more game for us.
I may alone in this but I think it might be pretty cool if they released a series of DLC campaigns. Shadowrun has a rich history of PnP scenarios and it'd be interesting to see some of them translated to this system. I know the userbase will be trying to do this as well with UGC but the devs have the advantage of being able to modify the actual game as needed along the way.

ZoddGutts

Don't they have a DLC still coming up? One that takes place in Berlin? I'm sure they'll reuse some of the assets. Hopefully some of the complaints will be fix/improved in the DLC.

Dennis

Banned
Isn't that what they're doing? They're working on the Berlin DLC campaign now.

That should be free to backers and I don't count that as a proper sequel. Its just DLC so you know its going to be short and half-baked.

Bring back the Expansion Pack!

Aaron

I'm expecting good fan missions from this. I've played around with the editor, and it's easy to use. If people are willing to spend the time, they can do some cool stuff.

duckroll

That should be free to backers and I don't count that as a proper sequel. Its just DLC so you know its going to be short and half-baked.

It's another campaign, just like Dead Man's Switch is. I don't think it's going to be shorter or smaller. The entire point of Shadowrun Returns is that it can support more campaigns of the same quality and length. I don't see how it being free to backers makes any difference. The rest of us will still have to pay for it.

I really want to go Shadowrunning like you lot!
I backed this as soon as i could and have been really looking forward to it. Guess what? I'm one of the guys with the scrolling screen and menu input issues making the game unplayable. Unplugging and reconnecting my mouse has no effect.

Damn, i'm so jealous right now :)

mclem

I seem to recall it'll be coming with a significant chunk of extra assets, anyway.

DiscoJer

I dunno about this being easy. Combat itself isn't bad, but the Matrix stuff is. And having to to do parallel runs between the Matrix and real world is a little hectic.

Especially when your decker gets shot in the real world. But I just finished the chapter by the skin of my teeth. My decker was almost dying in both worlds. Had the RNG gone against me, it would have been the waste of a couple hours.

Whew.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm enjoying the campaign a lot, pacing feels like an indie deus ex and it brings me back to the cyberpunk detective feels. reminds me of my advntures p&prpging

still, after the berlin fiasco I'm not gonna support any more of their kickstarters, that's just trash

sucks

I'm a decker but I have no idea how to use my deck. I thought I'd be able to go into a cyberspace type thing whenever I want, or in battle, how do I do that? Or do I only get to use it in certain situations?

Myomoto

I'm a decker but I have no idea how to use my deck. I thought I'd be able to go into a cyberspace type thing whenever I want, or in battle, how do I do that? Or do I only get to use it in certain situations?

I'm a decker as well, and I'm pretty sure decking only happens at key points in the game (outside of simply hacking terminals and stuff through dialogue trees).

shuri

Banned
Well I think I ran into a game breaking bug and now I can't do anything else but restart.

I'm at the point where you go into the matrix for the first time with the Johnny Clean guy, he mentions that "the arch will bring us into the next node" but I can't do anything at all.

I can run around the room, but i can't use the arch.

HALP

edit: nevermind, I reloaded my game once again, and THIS time (after 10 save/reload) I managed to use the arc. Weird.

Top Bottom