• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Fistwell

I think I've hit an infuriating bug, for folks who've beaten it want to verify I'm not missing something?

What I'm assuming is the end mission, going after the bug nest with the aegis guns. I'm on the second "floor" and have fought my way through it, the last room 2 walls exploded and bugs came out, after killing everything in that room nothing else is happening. There is no exit, nothing for me to interact with and no way to proceed. Was something supposed to trigger here or did I miss something?
Come back to the corridor you came from. You'll trigger
another bug coming through a wall, it opens up another corridor.

Edit: erh, I dont have the patch. Guessing that's why I'm stuck where I'm stuck. I don't see any option to download a patch anywhere... restarted steam... nothing.... *flips a goddamn table*

mneuro

Is anyone aware of any bugs that might make a saved game disappear? I was 9 hours in, pressed play on shadowrun returns and the menu only allows me to click new game, continue and load are greyed out.

Gvaz

Banned
So if I just entered UB, how much more of the game do I have left? Steam says I've spent 5 hours.

Where do you get better cyberware? I've got a eye and leg but I want to upgrade them.

Lime

I got the patch last night...

Shit there was like 5 battles on this floor... This fucking save system man. Fuck me.
After defeating the (2 or is it 4?) bugs in the cave room, backtrack to just before the large cave room and end your turn with a part member near the upper right wall. During the enemy turn the upper right cave wall will fall down.

I played for about an hour when it came out, but now I've got the time to really dig in. I have a question for people who are further along: how viable is it to branch out on the main character? For example, could I do Decker & Rigger on one character, or would that be stretching the karma way too thin? Trying to decide on my character's beginning stats.

Zeliard

At first I thought the game was too generous with money and Karma but now I am wanting for both!

For some of the earlier missions once you have a choice of runners to go with, you can probably afford to go with only 3 total party members including your main guy, which will save you money. Going with even fewer may also be possible but that could be too risky on Very Hard since the RNG may not go your way. On lower difficulties I imagine you can definitely run with fewer than the four for many missions.

If your main character is a Shaman you can viably run into money shortage issues as the spirit consumables can add up.

I love running with two Shamans as a) the spirits can be beastly, b) the spirits usefully act as an extra target for the enemy, and c) the buff/debuffs can be highly effective (especially Haste and Fog, the former of which can stack).

Dennis

Banned
For some of the earlier missions once you have a choice of runners to go with, you can probably afford to go with only 3 total party members including your main guy, which will save you money. Going with even fewer may also be possible but that could be too risky on Very Hard since the RNG may not go your way. On lower difficulties I imagine you can definitely run with fewer than the four for many missions.

If your main character is a Shaman you can viably run into money shortage issues as the spirit consumables can add up.

I love running with two Shamans as a) the spirits can be beastly, b) the spirits usefully act as an extra target for the enemy, and c) the buff/debuffs can be highly effective (especially Haste and Fog, the former of which can stack).

I am trying to do a mission right now with only two of the cheapest runners!

Wish me luck.

cj_iwakura

Just finished the hospital. Boss fight was the toughest one yet, actually had to heal to avoid dying!

Fun stuff.

And here's a wallpaper for anyone who wants:

uzSGHEh.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Is anyone aware of any bugs that might make a saved game disappear? I was 9 hours in, pressed play on shadowrun returns and the menu only allows me to click new game, continue and load are greyed out.
A few people have been reporting this. Did you make any copies of the save using the Copy button? That might be one way to at least have backups. :(

I thought it might be due to the game crashing and the Steam cloud save getting messed up, but it sounds like some people have had their saves lost even quitting the game normally.

Dark Souls has a great save system, death mechanic, and gameplay that is entirely built around it.

On the other hand, this game features an inadequate checkpointing system because the developers felt a real save system was too much effort.

I think it fits the style of the rulebooks I used way back when really well (I think that was 2nd edition).

I agree that this game is far worse, but I dislike DS's saving system too, but I don't want to derail the thread, this is a discussion for another day.

And yeah that backer's background is fantastic. I got a large smile when I received mine :D

BeerSnob

Except for the save system, which is broken in ways I didn't even know was possible, this game is fantastic. God, I want to go back in time and go back to playing pen and paper RPGs in my friend basement now.

mneuro

A few people have been reporting this. Did you make any copies of the save using the Copy button? That might be one way to at least have backups. :(

I thought it might be due to the game crashing and the Steam cloud save getting messed up, but it sounds like some people have had their saves lost even quitting the game normally.

Yea I didn't have any problem quitting the game. I just exited normally, went out for a bit and when I came back the save was gone. I was at the part where
you are breaking into the corporation to get the aegis.
I assume I was getting pretty close to the end of the game.

Almighty

Well beat the game just a few minutes ago. Final thoughts the game is short, pretty simple, and linear as all fuck. Even with that said I really enjoyed it. I wasn't really expecting more and to be honest I was expecting a lot worse. The atmosphere was nice, the music worked, and I enjoyed the old school RPG design. I am now looking forward to the Berlin campaign and hoping this game does well. A sequel with a bit more depth and less linear would be perfect.

With that said I want to slap whoever decided on the checkpoint system and slap whoever decided that healing magic should only heal as much damage as you last took. If it was the same person then they just graduated to a punch in the mouth.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Whats the deal with paying the mercenaries? I pay them once for every mission, so basically I can save money by not hiring the full slots? Is that advisable?

Zeliard

I am trying to do a mission right now with only two of the cheapest runners!

Wish me luck.

Let us know how it went :)

Whats the deal with paying the mercenaries? I pay them once for every mission, so basically I can save money by not hiring the full slots? Is that advisable?

That's the case, and whether it's advisable to go with fewer than three hires will depend on the difficulty, what sort of main character you're running, the amount of money you have, and so on.

You can try going with just two hired runners on a mission to save cash. If it doesn't work out, you could always rewind to a previous checkpoint and put together a different crew.

Just starting out with a dwarf mage. I'm stumped at the weapon selection between pistol/smg/shotty/rifle. Any tips? What's the tradeoffs between the four?

zkylon

zkylewd
I feel melee dude is the most boring of all classes. I mean it's really powerful, specially if someone casts the +1AP spell on me I can go and double-attack everyone and one-hit kill most people but still not having to use cover is kinda sad

This autosave system fucking sucks. Why couldn't they at least have it autosave before battles? Going through the levels and dialogue again is so tedious.

I'm no programmer so maybe I don't know how hard it is to do, but come on guys.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

That's the case, and whether it's advisable to go with fewer than three hires will depend on the difficulty, what sort of main character you're running, the amount of money you have, and so on.

You can try going with just two hired runners on a mission to save cash. If it doesn't work out, you could always rewind to a previous checkpoint and put together a different crew.

Thanks!

And can you recruit the story npcs?

HORRORSHØW

Finished the main quest and moving onto some of the fan made stuff. I was able to import my Combat/Decker with no issues into my first fan made run.

Love this game!
How long did it take you over all? I'm currently
in the UB headquarters where you confront Jessica Watts for the first time.
How many more hours would you say I have left?

Fistwell

Finally got a chance to jack in. So for every 3 turns in the matrix, one turn occurs in the real world?
Yeah something like that. It works pretty well in a "defend this position" scenario. Wish they'd use it more often in the campaign. Although, the matrix stuff is a little bland.

Dennis

Banned

It went fine but being nice cost me my reward so the mission was all expense.......

......now I am broke.........

Brakara

It's a wallpaper, I doubt it would stay exclusive for long. And that's news to me, either way.

Then why isn't is openly available to everyone? In fact, if you check your backer page, each size has limited downloads (5 IIRC).

You should at least check that they're okay with you posting it on forums before doing so, as being ignorant is no excuse.

Talyn

Then why isn't is openly available to everyone? In fact, if you check your backer page, each size has limited downloads (5 IIRC).

You should at least check that they're okay with you posting it on forums before doing so, as being ignorant is no excuse.
Perhaps you should check your backer page again, the download limits are gone. Not sure why they would even limit our downloads in the 1st place. Someone only needs to download the stuff once to distribute it all, not that anyone really thinks that's a good idea. We didn't pay to kickstart this to then turn around and make it available to pirates for free. As for the wallpaper, I doubt anyone cares, if anything they'd be more concerned about backers giving away the soundtrack and the story PDF since they're actually charging for that on Steam.

Karak

Well beat the game just a few minutes ago. Final thoughts the game is short, pretty simple, and linear as all fuck. .

Pretty much the entirety of my review as well. Except I really didn't enjoy it much to be honest. Good parts for sure but not much offered + all the bugs and crashes made it pretty unenjoyable for me personally.

Lord Phol

Make sure you meet the requirements of the clothes/armor.

When you buy them an equip screen should come up you can then click the stuff over to your outfit spot by hitting the yellow arrow.

If you confirmed out of it you'll have to go to your stash and click the yellow arrow on your gear to equip in your outfit slot.

Hmm I can't see the requirements anywhere oO.
Edit: Nevermind it works now, guess it was bugged before.

Gvaz

Banned
UGH got wiped out at telecorp, this is bullshit I'm not doing this entire level over. I'll come back tomorrow or something.

16 hours in, not done yet, playing on Very Hard, most value for money game right now, GOTY contender.

I'm playing on easy, it's rather inconsistent. It's been pretty easy up until this weird mad hatter guy in that area with the two turrets, then I just got wiped and I'm too tired and frustrated to go back.

DiscoJer

What does SINless mena guise?

It's like a social security number, only used for more things, and sort of a universal id.

If you don't have one, you can't get a job legally or a lot of other things, but you also aren't tracked in databases.

UGH got wiped out at telecorp, this is bullshit I'm not doing this entire level over. I'll come back tomorrow or something.

I'm playing on easy, it's rather inconsistent. It's been pretty easy up until this weird mad hatter guy in that area with the two turrets, then I just got wiped and I'm too tired and frustrated to go back.

I almost got wiped out there, in the matrix portions, but I got lucky. The AI missed 3 shots in a row against the decker.. One hit and he would have been dead.

Dennis

Banned
Really happy with my decision to play a Mage/Decker combo character.

You get Karma enough that you can be good at both and I feel it lets me enjoy the game more that my character can do Matrix stuff.

Died a few times on Very Hard but nothing upsetting. I want the challenge and tension.

Top Bottom