• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Dennis

Banned
OK this time the game actually had some challenging combat

I died twice at
the cemetery fight

Great fun was had though. I love this game.

Durante

I'm really loving this game right now. I didn't expect the setting to be such a huge part of its charm, but it is. I played the P&P game over a decade ago, and also used to read some of the books, so I guess that helps.

The only major turn-offs are the linearity/simplicity (which I expected, given the developer), and the lack of saving (which doesn't gel at all with how I like to play RPGs).

Biggest disappointment for me are the cartoony graphics and the tounge-in-cheek dialogue. I would have liked something more serious as this kills a lot of the feeling for me.

Lime

I'm a decker but I have no idea how to use my deck. I thought I'd be able to go into a cyberspace type thing whenever I want, or in battle, how do I do that? Or do I only get to use it in certain situations?

I'm a decker as well, and I'm pretty sure decking only happens at key points in the game (outside of simply hacking terminals and stuff through dialogue trees).

It'll be of use at various points throughout the game.

Sothpaw

Alright I have come to terms with the save system. The thing is, I play rpgs on the highest difficulty. This battles in this game are actually pretty damn fun on very hard. Problem is when I die, I have to skip through a bunch of dialogue again before I can get to the battle again.

Mini review midpoint of game time:

+ well written (for a videogame of course)
+ combat is very fun on very hard
+ graphics/art are really clean and really good
+ I love the spell selection
+ tons of different runners to build a crew with

- no ability to save game!!!
- not even linear so much as it's really just a bunch of mini story zones that you handle one at a time

I think the game gives more than enough to justify the $20. The editor will surely yield lots of good stuff.

cj_iwakura

I glanced at the editor. If this is akin to being thrown to the deep end, that's being dropped into shark infested waters.

Question about the Coyote's Revenge subquest:
Can you save her cousin?

Stuff like that is a big issue with inability to save, but on the upside, it really makes you live with your decisions.

Finished it yesterday. Loved the world and the art design. While I can understand the complaints about the length, I think the story has a good pacing to it. And for the price I see it more as an investment in a platform for more modules/stories (which is quite clearly the intent with the "New game" menu design). Looking forward to seeing what comes out of the workshop and DLC. The SNES conversion looks promising.

I've solved my screen scrolling and menu issue and it was VJoy as has been mentioned in other threads. If anyone else has a problem with menus being unusable and the screen continuously scrolling to the top of the map the just disable VJoy in Device Manager under Human Interface Devices.

No need to uninstall VJoy just for Shadowrun. I'm off to get some food and then i'm finally getting to play this game :)

really hate the no manual save game. I play in chunks.

So far that is my only complain. I do like the third person description during a dialogue.

EDIT: wat is 250mb update?

Gvaz

Banned
My biggest complaint with the save system is if you fuck something up, you can't just jump back to your quicksave, no you basically have to do the entire last autosave over which can easily be 15 minutes. I don't feel that's appropriate in an RPG. A TPS or an FPS maybe, not an rpg.

Onemic

I glanced at the editor. If this is akin to being thrown to the deep end, that's being dropped into shark infested waters.

Question about the Coyote's Revenge subquest:
Can you save her cousin?

Stuff like that is a big issue with inability to save, but on the upside, it really makes you live with your decisions.

The editor's really complex?

Any chance we'll get custom tilesets/character models, or are we limited only to what HBS releases?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
God the saving system is awful, it's almost as bad as Dark Souls in that regard.

I hear them coming...

mob_pitchforks.jpg

chifanpoe

Finished the main quest and moving onto some of the fan made stuff. I was able to import my Combat/Decker with no issues into my first fan made run.

Love this game!

Blizzard

Banned
Biggest disappointment for me are the cartoony graphics and the tounge-in-cheek dialogue. I would have liked something more serious as this kills a lot of the feeling for me.
I feel the art style and the writing are some of the high points and work well together. Doesn't it fit the old Shadowrun games/books?

I don't get it either I just beat the game and if you hit rewind the campaign is split into 38 checkpoints.

38!! for like a 8 hour campaign. That's like a checkpoint every 12 minutes. I mean yea it would be nice and I'm sure they are going to or someone else will add a better save function it in but really... I died twice and first time I lost about 5 minutes second time was worse and I lost about 15 cause I was at probably the longest segment in the game.
For what it's worth, Steam reports 8.9 hours of playtime for me and I'm only just now fighting with the shaman lady, Half-Sky or whatnot, on normal difficulty. I don't know what percentage of the game I am in. It may actually be closer to 6.9 hours if I left the game idling for an hour or two because I was sick, so maybe I only have 1 hour left?

About the editor, I tried running it yesterday. I didn't see any way to make a checkpoint happen when you want, so I think the only way to get an autosave is by loading a completely new level, which agrees with the hypothesis that it's due to how they set up and used the engine. It looked like a fairly straightforward setup where you can add triggers to do things when things happen. I'm not sure if you could reorder those easily. I didn't see scripting, and I didn't see anything about importing any asset. I thought I heard it was impossible to make any custom items, spells, import any models, or so forth, but maybe people will try to hack those in if the developers don't stop them. Or maybe support for such things will be added later. I do think that you are able to import custom 2D portraits and 2D backgrounds. If anyone has used the editor more or can correct me on any of this, please let me know.

OK this time the game actually had some challenging combat

I died twice at
the cemetery fight

Great fun was had though. I love this game.

I'm playing on hard and it took me about 4 or 5 tries to pass Coyote's Crusade (I am playing with a decker though).

Durante

God the saving system is awful, it's almost as bad as Dark Souls in that regard.
Dark Souls has a great save system, death mechanic, and gameplay that is entirely built around it.

On the other hand, this game features an inadequate checkpointing system because the developers felt a real save system was too much effort.

I feel the art style and the writing are some of the high points and work well together. Doesn't it fit the old Shadowrun games/books?
I think it fits the style of the rulebooks I used way back when really well (I think that was 2nd edition).

Madouu

I've been playing for a few hours and it definitely has been enjoyable but the entire experience so far has felt very... simple? Straightforward stuff and extremely linear.

I wasn't expecting much more than that though so I guess it's fine. The setting and the writing are pretty cool and they encourage you to keep playing through the game to learn a bit more about the story and the environment.

Simple but charming game. Hope for some more complex gameplay mechanics later in the game or in the future...

How much lore do you need to know to get the most out of the campaign? I've played the SNES game, a little of the Genesis one (that damn ghoul hideout...) and I'm halfway through the Shadowrun primer.

Lime

Just finished it. It was a nice call-back to the good old days. I also preferred it to X-Com 2012 in terms of world-building, dialogue, soundtrack, art direction, and plot (obviously), although it pales mechanically to it.

Definitely happy to have backed this with $125 and I'm really looking forward to seeing in a month or two what the community is able to produce.

cj_iwakura

Just started Matrixing it up. Good stuff.

Is there a way I can back up Johnny, or do I have to be a decker? It doesn't seem to be an option, even though I have the gear and stats.

Lord Phol

This has probably been answered but why can't I equip the gear I just bought?
There's a merchant at the beginning of the game at a bar that sells clothing, bought two different sets, but when i try to send it over from my stash nothing happens :s.
Don't want to run around naked D:

Fistwell

Stuck on mission: Stop the
ceremony

So far, I've:
killed all bugs that came out of walls, depleted jessica's HP, shut down the 4 insect power things she was drawing power from.
Now the situation is
I can not target jessica, the elf sacrifice can not be targeted either (and is immune to dmg if I drop an AOE attack near her), the insect power nodes are targetable but immune to all dmg types, physical, magic, bug spray.
What am I missing? Any tips? Thanks.

d1rtn4p

Welp, few hours in and I feel pretty meh at this point. I, of course, love the art work and atmosphere, but I'm not a huge fan of how "shallow" it feels overall. I was expecting that it would be like this, but nevertheless, I shoveled forth my $125.

Everything is very simple and easy and feels about an inch deep. World really isn't a world, just a bunch of linear connected scenes. But oh well, I'm still going to play through it.

One thing that can surely go to hell is the save system, almost entirely defeats the purpose of turn-based combat.

This has probably been answered but why can't I equip the gear I just bought?
There's a merchant at the beginning of the game at a bar that sells clothing, bought two different sets, but when i try to send it over from my stash nothing happens :s.
Don't want to run around naked D:

Make sure you meet the requirements of the clothes/armor.

When you buy them an equip screen should come up you can then click the stuff over to your outfit spot by hitting the yellow arrow.

If you confirmed out of it you'll have to go to your stash and click the yellow arrow on your gear to equip in your outfit slot.

AColdDay

This game is digital crack cocaine.

Straight into my veins and into the Matrix.

I'm really enjoying it. Not being able to save is not cool, and I wish that I could level up my other runners but I love everything else.

The reason I loved the original SNES Shadowrun was the MOOD. There was this incredible atmosphere to it that completely drew you in. The combat wasn't great, it was incredibly difficult to figure out how to proceed at points, and it also had a pretty bare-bones save system.

However, it didn't matter because I was totally drawn into this incredible world. Shadowrun Returns nails that same feeling with better mechanics and graphics. Is it flawed compared to other games? Of course, but if you care about this type of Sci-Fi there is absolutely nothing like it.

It's the same way I feel about Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Mass Effect 1, where the world and mood were soooo good that it overcame the mechanics. I'm so happy that this exists!

Sillverrr

Man, I really want to buy this game, but the lack of save-anywhere is a major turn-off for me. Glad the majority of people are enthusiastic about the game itself, though. I know I'll concede defeat and purchase sooner rather than later, but in the meantime I'm very disappointed.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Man, I really want to buy this game, but the lack of save-anywhere is a major turn-off for me. Glad the majority of people are enthusiastic about the game itself, though. I know I'll concede defeat and purchase sooner rather than later, but in the meantime I'm very disappointed.

same feelings here, I'm waiting for it to be patched in sooner or later. If not, I'll buy it on Christmas sale probably. Would have bought it now if save system was ok or checkpoints more generous at least.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think I've hit an infuriating bug, for folks who've beaten it want to verify I'm not missing something?

What I'm assuming is the end mission, going after the bug nest with the aegis guns. I'm on the second "floor" and have fought my way through it, the last room 2 walls exploded and bugs came out, after killing everything in that room nothing else is happening. There is no exit, nothing for me to interact with and no way to proceed. Was something supposed to trigger here or did I miss something?

chifanpoe

I think I've hit an infuriating bug, for folks who've beaten it want to verify I'm not missing something?

What I'm assuming is the end mission, going after the bug nest with the aegis guns. I'm on the second "floor" and have fought my way through it, the last room 2 walls exploded and bugs came out, after killing everything in that room nothing else is happening. There is no exit, nothing for me to interact with and no way to proceed. Was something supposed to trigger here or did I miss something?

I think there was a 250mb patch to fix that from happening. I have the patch and it ended the way it should have right were you are at.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think there was a 250mb patch to fix that from happening. I have the patch and it ended the way it should have right were you are at.

I got the patch last night...

Shit there was like 5 battles on this floor... This fucking save system man. Fuck me.

Top Bottom