• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Tizoc

Hmm seems the game is 'banned' over at Gulf Middle East: Only region I could find of the game was the Korean/Asia ver. XD (It does have Eng. language tho)
Will try to get a copy later today~

monome

subversus said:
this game is magnifico. and music is double magnifico.

This.

New poster here, so first thing thing first, hello GAF.

Just hearing subversive shit with an overdone mexican accent is magnifico.
And the music is, in my humble opinion, the greatest technical achievement done by anybody on this game.

As far as gameplay goes, i think it's ok but nowhere close to Platinum's. Yes two different studios and approaches but one can dream of a perfect game, no?

What I wish for is first a sequel, althought I'm on 5-2, I suppose no pendejo can kill Garcia-fuckin'-Hotspur, then second I would like more animated levels.
All those closed doors, windows, back alleys, holes or whatever could be filled with spurrting demons, it could be done through quick time events just to liven up your progression and maybe scare you. this game gives me plenty of lulz but no scares, shouldn't it?

Anyway great buy, and it will probalby the first of Suda's games that I complete.

Magnifico

Tizoc said:
Hmm seems the game is 'banned' over at Gulf Middle East: Only region I could find of the game was the Korean/Asia ver. XD (It does have Eng. language tho)
Will try to get a copy later today~

Which city are you in? They have it in Game street in Dubai in PAL if you are here.

Tokubetsu

monome said:
This.

New poster here, so first thing thing first, hello GAF.

Just hearing subversive shit with an overdone mexican accent is magnifico.
And the music is, in my humble opinion, the greatest technical achievement done by anybody on this game.

As far as gameplay goes, i think it's ok but nowhere close to Platinum's. Yes two different studios and approaches but one can dream of a perfect game, no?

What I wish for is first a sequel, althought I'm on 5-2, I suppose no pendejo can kill Garcia-fuckin'-Hotspur, then second I would like more animated levels.
All those closed doors, windows, back alleys, holes or whatever could be filled with spurrting demons, it could be done through quick time events just to liven up your progression and maybe scare you. this game gives me plenty of lulz but no scares, shouldn't it?

Anyway great buy, and it will probalby the first of Suda's games that I complete.

Magnifico

The whole sound design really.

Playing the game backwards from Legion to Lemon actually makes the game seem like it does have a NG+ function as the damage the weapons do and the weakness of the bossess is drastically different on Easy compared to Hard. I had a fucking blast playing on Lemon Hunter after conquering Demon and Legion.

Himself

In defense of the the parts in Chapter 4 that seem to get on many peoples' nerves (MILD SPOILERS. Nothing that hasn't been discussed unspoilered before, but just in case.):

Sure, I died much more on the Big Boner parts compared to the rest of the game (so far...I'm on ch. 5-1), but I think it added a nice bit of variety to the gameplay. Like someone else said, the sections only lasted about 1-2 minutes each, and it seems we've definitely been conditioned to get frustrated if we can't beat something on our first or second try. Plus, when you died during those sections, the death sequence was hilarious! (The first or second time...)

Also, the 2D parts were a nice little break from the main game. It was cool how they carried over the basic mechanics of the 3D world and made a neat little, if somewhat unrefined, mini-game or detour.

The chase sequences were intense and pretty damn funny. I only found one of them to be cheap or frustrating merely because I didn't know where to go. I also had no idea about the light gun. Just ran like an idiot!

So even though these experimental elements may not be as polished as they could have been, I'm glad they made it into the game. If there ever is a sequel, I definitely want to see more of them. The main gameplay isn't really deep/refined enough to warrant not throwing these little deviations in, if you ask me. (I want to see another chandelier sequence!)

Bottom line, for me, is they only add to the fun of the game. It's not perfect but it most definitely is fun.

That's why we play Grasshopper games anyway, right? For these wacked little totally imperfect experiments that you can't find anywhere else. Because they are fun and amusing.

Off to Ch. 5 now...

Tizoc

Phat Michael said:
Which city are you in? They have it in Game street in Dubai in PAL if you are here.
Heh I live in Oman, dude ;3 ...but thanks for the heads up, if any of my friends are more comfortable with an EU ver. I'll let them know \m/
I got the Korean ver. tho, it does have Eng. language in it.

Wizpig

I don't know what you guys want in a New Game Plus, but i know that Grasshopper games always had fantastic modes such as Killer8, Grasshopper7, FSR with bonus costumes, No More Heroes with the new difficulty level.

By that point of view SotD is "incomplete". :(

I'll say this: we are in the era of DLC... a free (free!) DLC with something like crazy new costumes would be welcome.
monome said:

Magnifico
Nooo, you made a nice post until this part.

Off you go, go finish Killer7.

mujun

EatChildren said:
Its interesting to see so many people disliked the big boner part. I died twice there if I recall correctly, and do think it was a little overused, but didn't have a whole lot of trouble with it on a mechanical level. As long as you keep firing and aim for headshots (and actually hit) its not all that hard.

It wasn't the difficulty for me. It wasn't fun, didn't add anything to the game and seemed out of place in the type of game SotD is.

I feel the same way about the 2d stuff. The level 4
boss/boss stage
really lowered my opinion of the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
bluedeviltron said:
Just picked it up. Hopefully this isn't another NeoGAF-megahyped dud.

Hopefully you didn't confuse a thread of praise from a self-selected group with the unanimous voice of thousands of NeoGAF members.

mujun said:
It wasn't the difficulty for me. It wasn't fun, didn't add anything to the game and seemed out of place in the type of game SotD is.

I feel the same way about the 2d stuff. The level 4
boss/boss stage
really lowered my opinion of the game.

eh, seems they were just over-budget/ out of time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I loved the level four boss. I don't think it was a budgetary thing, something like that has to be planned far in advance, especially given some of the bosses behaviours.

Ridley327

Rez said:
I loved the level four boss. I don't think it was a budgetary thing, something like that has to be planned far in advance, especially given some of the bosses behaviours.
The character design was pretty awesome, too; I especially loved the visual indicator for the mask's health.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dizzle24 said:
They are a lot easier with the use of Light Shot. :Þ

What the hell! I hated the stupid chase scene where she is in front of you and you have to run behind her and grab the damn strawberry and then get the fuck out of there, I tried it OH so many times the first time. If only I knew this haha.

Wizpig

bluedeviltron said:
Just picked it up. Hopefully this isn't another NeoGAF-megahyped dud.
Don't buy games based on NeoGAF hype / lack of hype.

You will like this game though, i hope. it's fucking great.

kliklik

Banned
The 2D levels take such a short time and that's why I don't really understand the large volume of criticism of them. I mean, I don't think over the other parts of the game and say "well in this 2-minute stretch of the chapter, I wasn't having much fun." I just look at it as part of the whole. There's no game where you're going to be squealing with glee every second. Some parts were a bit annoying, some parts I was just doing a task and not actively having fun, but it's part of a whole that was awesome overall.

mujun

kliklik said:
The 2D levels take such a short time and that's why I don't really understand the large volume of criticism of them. I mean, I don't think over the other parts of the game and say "well in this 2-minute stretch of the chapter, I wasn't having much fun." I just look at it as part of the whole. There's no game where you're going to be squealing with glee every second. Some parts were a bit annoying, some parts I was just doing a task and not actively having fun, but it's part of a whole that was awesome overall.

Human nature?

People are prone to be more sensitive and remember stuff they hate longer. If you go to a restaurant or something and everything is nice but then the waiter fucks up the bill it can spoil the whole experience.

They didn't last that long, all up out of 6 or so hours of play (just started 5-1) the turrets, running sections and 2d stuff has been in total maybe 30 minutes to an hour. Problem is I don't love the bulk of the gameplay, I just like it so it doesn't take as much for me to lower my opinion of the game.

I think if they'd not included that stuff at all or made it much easier and included it only for effect then I'd have been much cooler with it.

Does anyone find that last boss fight fucking tedious and annoying? The one at "The Final Chapter". I can never destroy the last piece before it resembles again. Since I know the boss attacks by heart that they can never hurt me. Therefore, I am repeatedly attempting to destroy the last piece and only have to retry it over and over again. This is so fucking annoying. I really hate this game now because of that. The game should not reset the damage to the float piece when they re-assemble.

kliklik

Banned
Fair enough, mujun. You really liked RE4 though, right?

Necroscope said:
Does anyone find that last boss fight fucking tedious and annoying? The one at "The Final Chapter". I can never destroy the last piece before it resembles again. Since I know the boss attacks by heart that they can never hurt me. Therefore, I am repeatedly attempting to destroy the last piece and only have to retry it over and over again. This is so fucking annoying. I really hate this game now because of that. The game should not reset the damage to the float piece when they re-assemble.

are you using the dentist and waiting while aiming (but not shooting) until the red reticle appears, then firing? Because that's the best way to destroy the floating red piece.

mujun

kliklik said:
Fair enough, mujun. You really liked RE4 though, right?

Hated the 5 minutes of it I played back in the day when it first came out on the Cube. Tank controls, no thanks.

Didn't enjoy 5 very much, finished it.

I would however buy and play through 4 if it were to come out on XBLA or something like that. In the last two years I've played a lot of crappy games because for whatever reason I find it interesting to see if there's any fun to be had with them. In doing that I've built up a tolerance for janky/inhibited controls and think that I'd have no problem with RE4's controls now.

monome

Wizpig said:
I don't know what you guys want in a New Game Plus, but i know that Grasshopper games always had fantastic modes such as Killer8, Grasshopper7, FSR with bonus costumes, No More Heroes with the new difficulty level.

By that point of view SotD is "incomplete". :(

I'll say this: we are in the era of DLC... a free (free!) DLC with something like crazy new costumes would be welcome.Nooo, you made a nice post until this part.

Off you go, go finish Killer7.

I'm ashamed but I got stuck.

Xbox live HD remake anyone? Suda don't be a pendejo, DO IT.

mattp

the last boss was so easy when he splits into the 3 pieces. just lock on with the dentist and unload the entire clip

kliklik

Banned
mujun said:
Hated the 5 minutes of it I played back in the day when it first came out on the Cube. Tank controls, no thanks.

Didn't enjoy 5 very much, finished it.

I would however buy and play through 4 if it were to come out on XBLA or something like that. In the last two years I've played a lot of crappy games because for whatever reason I find it interesting to see if there's any fun to be had with them. In doing that I've built up a tolerance for janky/inhibited controls and think that I'd have no problem with RE4's controls now.

Well I would recommend getting the Wii version. You should be able to find it cheap, but more importantly, the IR pointing is perfectly suited to "stand motionless and aim" gameplay that you usually only find in rail shooters. It makes it much easier to get your aim when you have the wiimote, but because you're motionless, it adds a bit of tension and scare as you see an enemy hobbling towards you and you have to aim at specific parts of their body. If you could just strafe or back up as you aim your gun, the tension and fear wouldn't be there.

Ya, I understand the argument that shoddy controls shouldn't be where you derive the scares in a horror game, but on the Wii version, they really don't feel like shoddy controls. It actually feels...fun. But with tension! And you've got a quick knife attack now. If you don't like it, you can always switch to the gc controller and use that with the Wii version.

It's really an excellent game and the wii version has all the content from the previous versions, so you get Ada's mission, separate ways, mercenaries... Separate Ways is quite interesting - you get to see the whole game again (not as long though) but from Ada's perspective and it makes you realise how much Leon was bumbling through it despite seeming like the hero and it was actually Ada cleaning up his messes and pre-weakening enemies for him. It was cool to see the other side of the events you remember from RE4 and see how the timing worked so that they just missed each other. I wish more devs would do something like that - showing the game again but from a different perspective.

ANYWAY, it's worth playing.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
monome said:
K7 shouldn't be played without a Gamecube controller. It's like Cronenberg fashioned it for the game himself.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
monome said:
I'm ashamed but I got stuck.

Suda isn't fond of his games being ported without his approval or direction, and has a tendency to favour the original release over any other releases. He doesn't speak much about the No More Heroes 360/PS3 port, and was over the moon when he signed my copy of Killer7 just because it wasn't the PS2 version.

EatChildren said:
Suda isn't fond of his games being ported without his approval or direction, and has a tendency to favour the original release over any other releases. He doesn't speak much about the No More Heroes 360/PS3 port, and was over the moon when he signed my copy of Killer7 just because it wasn't the PS2 version.

I've been wondering about No More Heroes for 360. Is it even out in America? Is it coming to America? What is the deal with it?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
For the Red Gem achievement, can I just farm the achievement with jewels instead of grabbing them from the game world?

Wario64 said:
For the Red Gem achievement, can I just farm the achievement with jewels instead of grabbing them from the game world?

Yeah the achievement works as long as you get every single upgrade. It doesn't matter if they're ones that you "found" or ones you purchased. I suggest playing on Easy as red gems only cost 45 white gems on Easy. Also, a general tip is shoot off enemies legs and kill them by stomping on them. You get more gems this way. There are also several spots where enemies spawn infinitely until you do a certain thing so you can farm white gems there. In fact, I don't think you can get the achievement without buying gems. I don't think there's enough laying around the world.

That said, there is a red gem guide on GameFaqs.

kliklik

Banned
Wario64 said:

Yes. Do it on your Easy playthrough because it only costs 45 to buy a red gem from Christopher.

EDIT: Beaten! =(

Erdrick

I have to say the game on Normal is such a cakewalk compared to Hard. Not that Hard was very difficult to begin with, just certain bosses were kind of ruined on that setting. I just finished it on Normal now, after beating it a few days ago on Hard, and now am going to go for the Easy playthrough while attempting to get all the upgrades. Considering it only costs 45 gems for a red one in this mode, as opposed to the 120 on Hard, this'll be a piece of cake.

No New Game+ but it feels like it if you start on Hard and work your way down.

I've enjoyed this game immensely for the most part. I just has a feel that I really like. It's flawed to hell and back, and I even agree with 1up's review score of it. But you know what? It's still one of my most favourite games that I have ever played. It's just something that is more than the sum of it's parts. Music is phenomenal, the gameplay is 2nd nature to anyone who has ever played RE4 or Vanquish (Not nearly as good though, of course.) and the story, while simple and juvenille in many ways, is unapologetic and upfront. Considering I am about to play it for a 3rd time, which I rarely do, it must be doing something right.

The game lived up to my expectations, and while it may have been watered down from what the original intent was somewhat, the fact that it was made in the first place gives me hope yet for this industry.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Do note though that even on easy you'll most likely have to farm white gems to get all 80 upgrades. There are 2 instances of those cyber demons (those with 3 red gems to shoot) that spawn an infinite number of regular demons, so those are ideal farming spots. I think 2-3 has the first one.

The best one however is 4-3 in the library, when an unique armored stealth demon attacks you. You have to light shot him to submission and then spam kick for 999 gems.
Illustrated here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7uWsAgEByE
Did this and it worked, getting him to fall down takes some luck though.

Farming might not be necessary if you get all hidden gems in the world, but I didn't feel like checking a guide every chapter in this game.

Wizpig

Just finished it :(
Damn, i'm sad, i wanted more.

What a great ending. what a great game. thanks, Grasshopper.

EatChildren said:
and was over the moon when he signed my copy of Killer7 just because it wasn't the PS2 version.
GC superior version =)

Was he involved with the FSR DS porting? would he hate me for having only that?
i kind of hate him for not releasing the silver case!

I actually enjoyed this game far more than any TPS this gen, besides Vanquish which is my No. 1. I just really dig it as a full package, gameplay was fun and quite challenging on Hardest, cheesy dialogue, humor and fresh vision of hell. And it's my favorite OST so far this year (isn't saying much though), but I consider it one of the best OST's of the generation, up there with KEY, SMG, MM9.

How is the upgrading of weapons in this game? One of the most satisfying things about RE4 was the upgrading and i would love to see it repeated in more places.

Gamer @ Heart said:
How is thethe upgrading of weapons in this game? One of the most ssatisfying things about RE4 was the upgrading and i would love to see it repeated in more places.

For me it wasn't anywhere near as satisfying as Re4, because in Shadows it's just a pop-up menu where you allocate gems in order to upgrade the usual suspects (power, capacity, reload). And the options aren't as diverse as Re4, either. But it is satisfying to pick and choose your upgrades and the "blue gem" upgrades are always cool.

My advice is upgrade your Teether/Dentist power and capacity to full by endgame...without spoiling anything you'll see what I mean.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just finished it. Loooooved it~~~

I recommend the recommendation to upgrade teether/dentist.

Wonderfully fun game. Only a few times I had to curse Suda. And it's obvious where his...stink...is. Thank god for massimo guarini!

It's pretty fabulously creative given the consistency in its setting and theme.

Damnit, the fuckin last
Sister grim
.... it's like she can take a million hits without showing any fatigue.... Gaf... what the hell I'm doing wrong?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That last sister put my ammo in the grey for, like, a whole chapter :mad:

Top Bottom