• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Detox

Finished the game I felt it was an average action game slightly elevated by Suda's writing and the music. I really got tired of the yellow / green hue and the game needs more variety in the environments and the actual enemies / encounters. At the end the music was what motivated me to complete it.

The actual shooting is very weird, I don't think there is any magnetism when the reticule is over the enemies or it is just way too low. I found it more useful to just strafe around the enemies to get a headshot rather than trying to aim. None of the encounters left a lasting impression on me they all just felt like enemies in a ring around me.

I played on Legion Hunter and the difficulty has to be borked. Legion Hunter was way too easy until the final boss. The only times I died was when I didn't how to tackle a new enemy or I just forgot to drink alcohol.

Moving onto the fucking final boss, died twice before I even got to his third form but that only took around 8 mins. I got to his third form and went on to shoot him for around an hour, I shot with charge shots, grenades, shotgun, machine gun and the pistol to no avail. Before actually cracking his shield for the last time, I managed to get it to go yellow twice. However the first time it was after the green shield and when he stalls but he only stayed yellow for 1 second and then woke up. Second time I charged up my gun but the fucking charge shot (this is broken many times during the fight my charge shot wouldn't appear, stick on the air or go through the boss) didn't come out needless to say there was only like a 3 second interval to get the shot off so I missed my opportunity. I assumed the designers weren't idiots and thought that if I missed the three second window the boss's health would be less and so I can easily get him back to a vulnerable state, oh wrong I was it felt like his health tripled. I memorised this boss's every move and the transitions his animations signified. Every little window of opportunity his animations gave me I used to shoot him and maximise my chances of cracking his shield. However this guy must have pipelines feeding him blood because he shrugged it all off. I was close to turning off my xbox but then I realised that there must be a HP number like maybe 1,787,788,666 that I am whittling down and the thought of just one more hit might do it kept me going. Eventually after what felt like an eternity in an exercise of futility, I got his cracks to turn yellow held the charge shot for double the required time to make sure it would come out and then shot the fucker dead.

Overall a 7/10 action game with some inspired dialogue that initially you think is going to be great however eventually the only part that doesn't become monotonous is the great music.

kliklik

Banned
Out of curiosity, Detox, how were your red gem upgrades distributed?

I was planning on finishing Enslaved and then coming back for my third playthrough on Legion, but this is all making me wanna play right now to see for myself about this boss fight haha...

Detox

Damage on machine gun fully upgraded and the other stuff for it were in the 3-4 gem range, it was a beast destroyed the bosses body parts in one go. The pistol was around 3 gems on each and shotty was neglected I think capacity one gem and damage was on 3. The rest were spent on light shot and health.

kliklik

Banned
Detox said:
it was a beast destroyed the bosses body parts in one go.

I think it has to. If you don't destroy the body part in one go I think it resets. First time I went through this boss I was derpy and was using the pistol and it was taking forever, though I was getting quite a few shots in.

Anyway, this is interesting. I'm going to make sure to fully upgrade damage on my shotgun when I replay and we'll see if it makes a difference for me. I'm not sure I'd have your patience....

Detox

The resetting is so stupid. If you get the boss to yellow but miss the tiny interval to get the charge shot off then it should only take around 3 minutes to get him back to yellow but instead you have to slog thorough that shit again which is mindlessly easy all you do is roll. Just searching someone on gamespot forums:
After hours of experimenting with the Legion Hunter Fleming fight after being stuck on it for a long time I have finally found out how the fight (and glitch) works.

Every time you break Fleming's green shield and he goes into a stunned animation his life bar for that stage increases back to full health!

How to beat Fleming: When he puts up his green barrier...IGNORE IT. Just wait for him to drop it on his own and then continue fighting.
If true that is the worst decision in the history of videogames. If the player manages to pull off a shot that requires fairly good timing in between the boss's attack lets punish him by resetting the health.

TheOddOne

This game is getting on my nerves.
Flemming boss battle, last body part seems immune to my shots. HOW THE FUCK IS THIS NOT FUCKING WORKING?!
. Now I know why it got such a shitty score.

kliklik

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Flemming boss battle, last body part seems immune to my shots. HOW THE FUCK IS THIS NOT FUCKING WORKING?!

Are you using the machine gun's lock-on ability, waiting for the red reticle to appear on it and then firing?

TheOddOne

kliklik said:
Are you using the machine gun's lock-on ability, waiting for the red reticle to appear on it and then firing?
Yep, not freaking working. I had to reset the game too, because whatever I did I could not even get to the first bodypart. I went full in. Reset it and played it and worked. Now the last part just doesn't work. WTF.

kliklik

Banned
It sounds like an evil glitch. I'm pretty sure the parts all have the same health. I've been lucky not to run into any glitches...yet. I think you're going to have to quit and reload again :-S

bubnbob

Banned
This game is embarassingly easy on Hard for some reason. The only difference is Red Gems cost a lot, so it is really hard to get all upgrades unless you sit at a infinite spawn spot and grind away. All you have to do is dodge and all attacks go right through you (even though they should very well hit you).

It's also extremely short. From the guy who gave us RE4 which is leagues longer, I expected a little length. After shoving the 20th strawberry into the door I realised, this was it.

TheOddOne said:
I was in the same boat. And yes it's true, just destroy the green shells and leave him b. your best shot us to damage him until he hunches, and he will. Also if you do a charge shot on him but don't see your bomb, shoot it anyway. It's there.

Edit: oh you are talking about the body part. I just shot at it even before my machine gun locks on. Hey that happened to me as well

Detox said:
Finished the game I felt it was an average action game slightly elevated by Suda's writing and the music. I really got tired of the yellow / green hue and the game needs more variety in the environments and the actual enemies / encounters. At the end the music was what motivated me to complete it.

The actual shooting is very weird, I don't think there is any magnetism when the reticule is over the enemies or it is just way too low. I found it more useful to just strafe around the enemies to get a headshot rather than trying to aim. None of the encounters left a lasting impression on me they all just felt like enemies in a ring around me.

I played on Legion Hunter and the difficulty has to be borked. Legion Hunter was way too easy until the final boss. The only times I died was when I didn't how to tackle a new enemy or I just forgot to drink alcohol.

Moving onto the fucking final boss, died twice before I even got to his third form but that only took around 8 mins. I got to his third form and went on to shoot him for around an hour, I shot with charge shots, grenades, shotgun, machine gun and the pistol to no avail. Before actually cracking his shield for the last time, I managed to get it to go yellow twice. However the first time it was after the green shield and when he stalls but he only stayed yellow for 1 second and then woke up. Second time I charged up my gun but the fucking charge shot (this is broken many times during the fight my charge shot wouldn't appear, stick on the air or go through the boss) didn't come out needless to say there was only like a 3 second interval to get the shot off so I missed my opportunity. I assumed the designers weren't idiots and thought that if I missed the three second window the boss's health would be less and so I can easily get him back to a vulnerable state, oh wrong I was it felt like his health tripled. I memorised this boss's every move and the transitions his animations signified. Every little window of opportunity his animations gave me I used to shoot him and maximise my chances of cracking his shield. However this guy must have pipelines feeding him blood because he shrugged it all off. I was close to turning off my xbox but then I realised that there must be a HP number like maybe 1,787,788,666 that I am whittling down and the thought of just one more hit might do it kept me going. Eventually after what felt like an eternity in an exercise of futility, I got his cracks to turn yellow held the charge shot for double the required time to make sure it would come out and then shot the fucker dead.

Overall a 7/10 action game with some inspired dialogue that initially you think is going to be great however eventually the only part that doesn't become monotonous is the great music.
Pretty much agree. Writing was good and design was inspiring, but somehow gameplay feels clunky and unpolished. enemies become to repetitious, and the whole game almost feels to be just doing the same thing over and over again.

As much as I hated the chase, it is memorable lol

Man, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm having a terrible experience on Act 5 right now.
There's so many sound issues happening out of nowhere and enemies disappearing so it stops my progression and I have to restart back to the checkpoint. It's getting annoying.

Detox

Tguy said:
Man, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm having a terrible experience on Act 5 right now.
There's so many sound issues happening out of nowhere and enemies disappearing so it stops my progression and I have to restart back to the checkpoint. It's getting annoying.
If all else fails just roll.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Zero Punctuation review: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3675-Shadows-of-the-Damned

Picture2-1.png

Wizpig

John Harker said:
Aww man, wtf. This game has been absolutely flawless for me for 9 hours, and now the last two times I talked to Christopher, it auto-skipped his first dialogue :(

The last two times, and I'm on the last Chapter, I didn't get to hear what he says. And I love what he says!
One of many little bugs, unfortunately!

Game could use a patch :)

That said, just finished it on Hard... happy to see that, well, the game doesn't have a New Game Plus, but it does unlock something cool if you finish it on Hard!

Will begin my third run tomorrow.

Loving the game, etc.

Going to start my Legion Hunter run tonight. I have so much to play right now it's ridiculous. Complete the game on Legion Hunter is my last achievement. Might as well get it out of the way so I can scratch it off my gaming to do list.

EDIT: "I fucking hate puzzles." Greatness.

rhino4evr

So "Big Boner" was the only part I've had trouble with...then the stage after that was just plain weird.

Kind of odd to put such strange mini games one after another...

Just got to the library

rhino4evr

I see a lot of people complaining about the chase scenes. The first one is really easy, you don't really need to do anything but keep running.

The second one gave me trouble until I realized you could use the light shot. Once I figured that out I finished it with no problems..

Big boner was hard for me because I am terrible at getting head shots...but once you practice and you know the locations of the enemies, it's really not that hard.

Other then that I think the game has been super easy so far. (playing on Demon Hunter)

Himself

I really enjoyed the writing in this game. I think Paula and Garcia's relationship was more endearing than any other video game romance since...er, Klonoa and Hewpoe?

kunonabi

Finished the game a few days ago and my opinion remains the same. Just a very solid game. I had no issues with the Big Boner levels or the side scroller levels. The ending was fairly basic and expected but I thought it was still done really well.

TheOddOne

This game is fucking with me on another level.
Still on the Flemming boss for a fucking hour, I get the first 2 body parts and then the last body part is immune to my shots. I keep fucking repeating that section forever.

Made it to 3-1 on my Legion Hunter run so far. Haven't had any real "difficulty" but the boss fights are definitely more intense and ammo intensive. Not necessarily intensive since ammo respawns all over the place, but you definitely eat through a lot.

Wizpig

TheOddOne said:
This game is fucking with me on another level.
Still on the Flemming boss for a fucking hour, I get the first 2 body parts and then the last body part is immune to my shots. I keep fucking repeating that section forever.
Immune? that's, er, odd...
just lock on to it with the Dentist and spam all the way?

I did it like this on Hard on the first try.

I'm not on my third run on Easy, hopefully i manage to get all the gems... *sigh*

edit. Oh, that Zero Punctuation review is full of spoilers, i don't understand if that's the point of it...? but i didn't like it.

RedSwirl said:
4-1 - "The Big Boner" is the worst level in the world. How could they allow something so canned, lazy, and frustrating into this game?! And it's a total waste of one of the game's better environments too.
It's probabily the best environment, but more than "a waste" i'd say it's just a cheap way to use it.
Typical Grasshopper stuff.

They probably had that awesome stuff on artworks, recreated it in-game and then said "fuck it" when it came to create a level.

Btw i liked those sections, even on hard.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Relaxed Muscle said:
"He also make RE4, yes, the only good one"

*closes video*

He should go back and make more adventure games.
Oh, come on, he's saying that for a reaction, just take it in and roll with it.

(but yeah, he should make more adventure games, I really enjoyed the Trilby stuff)

Relaxed Muscle said:
"He also make RE4, yes, the only good one"

*closes video*

He should go back and make more adventure games.

lol salty

RE2 and Remake are good too imo, but the classic RE games and 5 are not gonna be everyone's cup of tea. but RE4 really is everyone's cup of tea.

so, this didn't sell well. I think I will wait a little bit longer for it to drop in price.

TheOddOne

Wizpig said:
So it was glitched after all? game needs a patch etc.
Yeah, spend a hour on the second wave doing exactly what I did before (and use to succeed). Read some other forums and people are getting all kind of weird glitches during that boss battle.

Risk Breaker said:
Well, I loved the Big Boner part :(

I'm surprised someone hasn't made one of those image macros with words on it.

Big Boner

Have a taste of mine.

I have yet to play this game, the lack of a demo leaves me hesitant.

Wizpig

I don't think you need a demo.

You want a game that is, sure, fun, but has its strong points in humour and craziness? buy it, even at full price.
More so if you liked some old Suda games, keeping in mind that this isn't a 100% Suda game and he isn't Director... but his influence is still there.

Don't expect a masterpiece of game design, but mind you that it doesn't mean it's shit, it still have some nifty ideas.

Other than that i noticed that plenty of bugs and glitches happen when you rush.
For example in my first run i didn't rush a single thing and got no bugs; in my second run i kept shooting/reloading/running in a very fast-paced way, and at a certain point Garcia had Johnson in torch-form... while shooting! seriously.

ps. speaking of demos and previews, i watched some of the videos Grasshopper ENG released before the game... WHAT THE FUCK, man? they spoil every single thing about the game - heck, one of the first videos has a scene from the game's epilogue.

If i had bought the game while knowing 50% of the things seen in those trailers i wouldn't have liked it the way i like it now.

MidnightScott said:
I'm surprised someone hasn't made one of those image macros with words on it.

Big Boner

Have a taste of mine.

I have yet to play this game, the lack of a demo leaves me hesitant.
For me, it was the $60 tag that caused hesitation. Once the game was on sale, I snatched it.

Again I really had fun with it...by no means perfect but I thought it was a fun little gem (see what I did there jk).

Sadly read over on joystiq it's not selling well. "Shadows of the Damned managed to sell 24,000 copies, combined, on PS3 and Xbox 360. Damn."

BeautifulMemory said:
For me, it was the $60 tag that caused hesitation. Once the game was on sale, I snatched it.
Where did you find it on sale? After picking up Killer 7 and No More Heroes 1&2 day one, and seeing how quickly they dropped to $20, I'm hesitant to pick this up at full price.

Gravijah

Matt2thefuture said:
Again I really had fun with it...by no means perfect but I thought it was a fun little gem (see what I did there jk).

Sadly read over on joystiq it's not selling well. "Shadows of the Damned managed to sell 24,000 copies, combined, on PS3 and Xbox 360. Damn."

-hides gamefly rental-

Dascu

Its sales are certainly in line with previous Grasshopper games (NMH excluded).

GHM expanded a lot over the past few years. I hope these lackluster sales don't harm the studio.

SkylineRKR

Curufinwe said:
Anyone who bought DNF over this should feel ashamed.

I bought both for the full buck and regret doing this. Even moreso in the case of Duke, which is just a piece of shit.

Shadows was really cool, but I didn't like the last levels and after completing the game there was absolutely nothing left to do. Also, in the case of EA I'm fed up with buying their software at launch. I witnessed Dead Space 2, DA2 and ME2 being price dropped at the blink of an eye. My next target is Alice out of the bargain bin which is it will hit very soon.

I think I bought Shadows for full price to support the dudes behind it, but it didn't help...

alfieri

Neo Member
Just finished this game today. Was a fun way to waste 10 hours, wasn't an amazing game or anything. I don't know if it's just because I got the PS3 version of the game, but it was bugged to hell and back, har har. *is shot*

I had a few issues with items not storing properly, enemies not spawning properly or getting stuck, and one instance where a cutscene triggered before I had a chance to shoot a goat lamp and get rid of the darkness. It fixed itself when Garcia died and I had to reload.

Apart from that it was a lot of fun, its gameplay was average and some of the jokes just weren't funny, but there were some really good ideas in there. It had the potential to be a really great game; unfortunately, it was just too short and underdeveloped for it to be anything but OK.

Although.... those demons that had the red tubes on their backs and went berserk? They drove me nuts! I could never hit them, they took me forever to beat. I think I must have embarrassingly bad aim.

alfieri said:
Although.... those demons that had the red tubes on their backs and went berserk? They drove me nuts! I could never hit them, they took me forever to beat. I think I must have embarrassingly bad aim.

One Hot Boner is all it takes.

RedNumberFive said:
Where did you find it on sale? After picking up Killer 7 and No More Heroes 1&2 day one, and seeing how quickly they dropped to $20, I'm hesitant to pick this up at full price.
Step one; put wario on your tweeter. The man has constant updates on sales.

It was the July 4th weekend and Frys had it for 40 dollars. And I share the sentiment on picking it up full price. Just wait about and it should be on sale again soon.

All EA games, for me except madden, drop their prices like crazy after few weeks

Top Bottom