• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

kliklik

Banned
I was too busy looking at her weird non-matching eyes to notice her lips.

The only parts of the game that really annoyed me were the one-hit-kill chase sequences. It's weird to me that very few people have mentioned this and were instead annoyed with the short turret and 2d sequences.

G.O.O.

Fans generally love GHM games for their symbolism and rich subtext, which SotD seems to be lacking of.

If this sentence doesn't make any sense, I'll rephrase it. I had a long day :(

Dascu

G.O.O. said:
For all those who were disappointed by the lack of depth, have you read this ?

http://www.destructoid.com/shadows-of-the-damned-and-mexican-machismo-204739.phtml
Yeah, but the entire thing about machismo was not only obvious from the first trailer, but it's also been handled (differently) in NMH. It doesn't feel as fresh.

I mean... Sure, SotD's story is more interesting than your average game and there's some symbolism here and there, but I feel it's very lacking in comparison to earlier Suda51 games.

Hesemonni

Banned
Biggest complaints:

1) Lack of enemy variety
2) Boss fights, especially Fleming and Juliet. Juliet was a totally wasted opportunity and Fleming was just tiring and somehow broken. I guess this shows Mikami had nothing to do with RE4's awesome boss fights. Or?

Awesome experience overall. Too bad it'll bomba and te rough diamond will never have it's edges cut :(

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Help me Gaf, I am in tears! :lol: George is the best enemy of 2011, for all the wrong reasons.

That fucking Harmonica, I couldn't help but keep laughing during the market showdown! My stupid best friend kept playing that stupid instument over the mic on our Left4dead games and other great times, so I kept just remembering this, laughing away as I am trying to get away from the bugger. The gameplay is so good.

Shame about George never getting his fill though, outside with him on Mary! Heyo!

sam27368

Banned
Just bought it today, am loving it so far. Great mindless fun. I got it on the PS3, are there big differences between the two platforms?

On my second run through and I already forgot how amazing the soundtrack is, especially early on.
I love the harmonica tune associated with George.
I also just noticed the posters on the wall throughout Chapter 2. Not the ones that are lit up and that you read, but actual posters. Great touch. Especially the
George
ones. I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for more stuff like this as I go forward.

Any tips on getting the 5-kills at once with the Hot Boner achievement? Any specific areas you should do it in? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ToyMachine228 said:
On my second run through and I already forgot how amazing the soundtrack is, especially early on.
I love the harmonica tune associated with George.
I also just noticed the posters on the wall throughout Chapter 2. Not the ones that are lit up and that you read, but actual posters. Great touch. Especially the
George
ones. I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for more stuff like this as I go forward.
The harmonica stuff is HILARIOUS. It's like...every time he steps, honk honk honk honk

Dascu said:
Yeah, but the entire thing about machismo was not only obvious from the first trailer, but it's also been handled (differently) in NMH. It doesn't feel as fresh.

I mean... Sure, SotD's story is more interesting than your average game and there's some symbolism here and there, but I feel it's very lacking in comparison to earlier Suda51 games.

in one of the interviews I read, it was claimed Suda went through 5 script revisions to appease EA.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This game is hitting my "I like Japanese things in a VERY SPECIFIC WAY" button.

You know, the control scheme has probably fairly got a bit of criticism, but I actually really like the compromise between the expected third-person shooter controls and the slightly clunkier "oh god I'm fumbling with this gun to shoot a dude while he's down, oh no I missed, oh shit he's getting back up, oh shit I accidentally rolled into instead of doing a 360 fuck fuck fuck square square leap over this market stand oh no I'm doing a melee attack or reloading or somethingOH MY GOD HE'S RIGHT BEHIND ME".

I mean, I just loved that boss fight in 2-2. I was never really in danger or dying but I was getting hilariously into the run-shoot-shoot mechanic.

I stopped at 2-3. I can understand people being revolted by this game on so many different levels, but man, I'm really digging it. This is actually my first Grasshopper game. I've played bits and pieces of NMH1 and 2 and I really need to get around to Killer 7 one day. But yeah, this is great. Lots of fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rez said:
I really need to get around to Killer 7 one day

Killer7 needs to be experienced to be understood, but know that it has quite literally nothing in common with Shadows of the Damned. You wouldn't even think they're from the same developer (mostly).

Aussies, EA is giving away a copy of Shadows of the Damned tonight. You just have to follow @EA_Australia on Twitter before 8pm and you'll be entered to win.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hi GAF! Long-time listener, first time caller...

When I first started playing this game it felt like my GOTY!! But then it just sort of never went anywhere. But down.

Mini-game space filler world was particularly terrible, and one of those "ah, this is where they ran out of development time" indicators (forced sidescroller, literally add a forced 20+ minute to the completion clock) It made even less sense for the Big Boner segments though since they clearly had a lot of the Demon Sex District all 3d modelled up, so why no actual level based around it?! Would've made for a great change of pace from dreary village/castles the whole way through.

The mini-game 2d shooter bits (THREE OF THEM!!) don't even make much sense. Garcia just randomly flies across backdrops. Yaknow What would have been infinitely cooler? Since this was an EA Partner thing, imagine if they'd made some like Road Rash levels using the awesome and completely un-used Johnson bike. I'm sure some of the code from No More Heroeses' bike bits coulda been used.

But yeh, like the mini-games really soured me on the whole game I think. That or the bosses with the most inactive moveset useage in videogame history.

Did I like this game? I DONT KNOW?! I really liked the characters and script, thats fer suresies.

G.O.O.

Still on the subtitles subject :

In "the legend of the stinky crow", there is a bit where a girl talks about jacking off, making a good pun aswell. They translated her words as : "You should lock yourself into your cabin, you're only good at that."

what.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
THE LEGEND OF STINKY CROW IS THE BEST THING EVERRR

It's like an Alanis Morissette song

:BOW first time suda 51 has ever done anything good :bOW2

ToyMachine228 said:
Any tips on getting the 5-kills at once with the Hot Boner achievement? Any specific areas you should do it in? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quoting myself in hopes that someone gives me a suggestion.

Solune

ToyMachine228 said:
After you defeat the Crow (At least I think it is), the next chapter there's an area where there's 6 demons. Just aim the Hot Boner bombs at the ground and you can see the how large the radius is. When 5 of them are in the radius just blow it up and easy trophy.

kliklik said:

The only parts of the game that really annoyed me were the one-hit-kill chase sequences. It's weird to me that very few people have mentioned this and were instead annoyed with the short turret and 2d sequences.

During the chase sequences, use the light shot to slow her down. Still having trouble after that, get some skills and come back to it.

mujun

I'm liking this game well enough, the humor, dialog and story stuff is better than I expected (Gametrailers review made it seem much more low brow and puerile than it is, a disservice), Johnson is great (love his accent).

Mechanically it's decent, that goes for both systems (upgrades, light shot, etc) and how it plays. I still have reservations about the over the shoulder aiming (it is harder than it should be) and camera, though.

I don't get all the gushing, that's for sure. Seems like it's because it's a Japanese game. I think it's decent game, not close to being great.

I'm at level 3-3 by the way.

kliklik

Banned
Pie and Beans said:
Hi GAF! Long-time listener, first time caller...

When I first started playing this game it felt like my GOTY!! But then it just sort of never went anywhere. But down.

Mini-game space filler world was particularly terrible, and one of those "ah, this is where they ran out of development time" indicators (forced sidescroller, literally add a forced 20+ minute to the completion clock) It made even less sense for the Big Boner segments though since they clearly had a lot of the Demon Sex District all 3d modelled up, so why no actual level based around it?!

Don't you remember the 2D shoot em up in NMH? Or all the 2D minigames in NMH2? It's not that they ran out of development time. He just likes to mix it up with weird short sections that are completely divergent in gameplay.

I don't get what you mean about the "forced" stuff. I mean, it's no more forced than any other part of the game, since it's pretty linear and you have to go through the other stuff to make it to the end. I guess it just didn't bother me because those sections were so short that they didn't overstay their welcome. They were a nice change of pace imo.

keltickennedy said:
During the chase sequences, use the light shot to slow her down. Still having trouble after that, get some skills and come back to it.

What's with the hostility? Are you disgruntled, brother?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I'm up to the castle now.

This started promising but the further I got into it, the more rushed it felt. The level designs feel very rushed and poorly playtested. The difficulty and pacing is way erratic.

And holy shit. Most dull boss fights EVAR. The overall level design just feels phoned in until a Resi 4 style environment in act 4.

The mini-games were entertaining at first, but then got REAL tedious very quickly. Especially the daft Super Boner one.

Also, I've never received upgrades so very quickly in any other game. I don't even get used to a gun's new features before a new upgrade is unleashed.

It just feels so rushed. I absolutely love the personality and look of the game. Can't wait to wrap this and sell it off. Massive disappoint.

Curufinwe

kliklik said:

I died a few times on the chase sequences, but they were much less annoying than the turret sequences where I died at least a dozen times between the three stages. I liked the chase sequences.

ToyMachine228 said:

That's one of the five Achievements I didn't get my first time thru on Demon Hunter. on Xbox360Achievements.org it says the end of Act 3-3 is a good place to do it, and it's easier to do on Easy difficulty since the demons don't have as much HP.

Deepack said:
God, this game is funny.

The funniest part of the game might be the very, very end. Anyone else who has finished the game agree with me?

kliklik

Banned
Curufinwe said:
I died a few times on the chase sequences, but they were much less annoying than the turret sequences where I died at least a dozen times between the three stages. I liked the chase sequences.

Oh I guess I can see how it's annoying if you keep dying, since it forces you to repeat the phonecall and doesn't just drop you back in at the beginning.

The trick with that section is that, when you are looking down one lane and the monster is far away, just be sure that the arrows on the side of the screen aren't indicating more monster activity somewhere else. Because if the monster is far away, it's better to flip to a different lane to check to see if the monster there is closer. It just requires quick flip checking and not worrying about lining up headshots - just shoot em wherever. You'll always have enough time to kill them if you just shoot em somewhere on the body and don't worry about headshots.

Once you get the "rules" of it - quick flipping between lanes to check where the monsters are closest and not worrying about headshots - it's a very fast and painless section. But I guess everyone figures that out eventually or else they wouldn't have gotten through it. =P

Doing a run on Lemon Hunter for the achievement and to pick up a few other achievements and I have to say, I'm enjoying my second play through more than my first surprisingly. The lack of difficulty is allowing me to notice a lot of the game's little intricacies that I missed the first time through and REALLY enjoy the soundtrack. Which is amazing. Definitely playing a third time after this on hard.

Also
Is the Colonel supposed to be a reference to something? He's in that house, shoots the shit out of Stinky Crow, then gets literally torn to pieces.

Teknoman

mujun said:
I'm liking this game well enough, the humor, dialog and story stuff is better than I expected (Gametrailers review made it seem much more low brow and puerile than it is, a disservice), Johnson is great (love his accent).

Mechanically it's decent, that goes for both systems (upgrades, light shot, etc) and how it plays. I still have reservations about the over the shoulder aiming (it is harder than it should be) and camera, though.

I don't get all the gushing, that's for sure. Seems like it's because it's a Japanese game. I think it's decent game, not close to being great.

I'm at level 3-3 by the way.

Its the combination of crazy environments, amazing audio/music from Yamaoka, and just straight up action gameplay. Japanese input, but its still directed by a guy from the West.

terrdactycalsrock said:
Are there any differences between the ps3 and 360 versions?
According to Lens of Truth:
-Better SSAO and sharper textures for PS3
-Better performance on the 360
-Better Loading on PS3
There ya go

terrdactycalsrock said:
Are there any differences between the ps3 and 360 versions?
"significantly more screen-tear on PS3", I don't know what the load times are like after you install the 360 version since DF don't mention load times after installing the game. PS3 version wins by a small margin on DF.

mujun

Teknoman said:
Its the combination of crazy environments, amazing audio/music from Yamaoka, and just straight up action gameplay. Japanese input, but its still directed by a guy from the West.

I'll give you the music. I do also like the East meets West vibe.

I think the environments are pretty ordinary though, there are a lot of corridors and apart from the lighting I don't see much to grab me here. Bioshock, Mirror's Edge and Alice will stick in my mind far more. I also find the action a little stilted, bad camera and off aiming don't help.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
ToyMachine228 said:

Edit: nvm this guy said it:

Solune said:
After you defeat the Crow (At least I think it is), the next chapter there's an area where there's 6 demons. Just aim the Hot Boner bombs at the ground and you can see the how large the radius is. When 5 of them are in the radius just blow it up and easy trophy.

kliklik

Banned
Garcia Hotspur said:
Posted it earlier in the thread. I found that the beginning in Garcia's apartment is a good place to do this. You have unlimited health so you can take your time and line up each shot. I also thought it was easier by turning down the aiming sensitivity, but that may just be me.

But you don't have the hot boner at the beginning of the game...

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
kliklik said:
But you don't have the hot boner at the beginning of the game...

I misread it as the 5-head shot one.

But,

Garcia Hotspur said:
Just wait till you get to an area with 5 or more enemies and put the charged bomb shot things all around the room(I think the amount you can put down is unlimited?) and shoot one to set off a chain reaction explosion. As long as the enemies are inside the bombs radius they should die and you'll get the achievement.

I think I did it right after
Paula walks out of the swamp and Johnson makes a joke about wearing a garter in a swamp or something.
I think there were like 6 enemies before the cave that Christopher was in.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
EatChildren said:
Killer7 needs to be experienced to be understood, but know that it has quite literally nothing in common with Shadows of the Damned. You wouldn't even think they're from the same developer (mostly).

Heaven Smiles die the same way that the Demons here do... at least the blood spurts are almost identical.

The basic enemies designs are pretty similar too... especially the facial structure/teeth

Erdrick

Ok, so I am in the third stage of the fight with the last boss on Legion Hunter difficulty mode and good GOD, what the hell is this?!? I spent over half an hour on this segment. I know what to do, or at least I did it twice before to get to this stage of the battle, but it just wont... give me the opportunity to get past this segment. Either this is one hell of a bullet sponge, or I am doing something wrong, or my copy of the game is glitched to hell and back.

I love the game otherwise, but seriously, I don't have an hour's worth of patience for this nonsense or whatever it takes to actually finish this. Whoever let this past QA needs to lay off the booze and drugs and actually pay attention to such... momentum-killing battles.

Tokubetsu

Love this god damn game so here, enjoy a gif:
noJPz.gif

on chapter 3 right now. Game is awesome so far, gun mechanics are great, and the game flows rather nicely.

I do wish the game is more polished, like many said. I have not encountered any freezing, but there was one part where I was stuck for a moment because an enemy was stuck (the level had to be cleared through eliminating the enemies), and I had to kill that guy through holes in order to spawn more. Lol

Really like the upgrading too. One thing I loved about RE4 is that modifying the weapons. I will say this game is not as thorough in terms of weapon upgrade as RE4, so that leaves something to be desired.

I also do wish the weapons have more variety. Another thing I loved about RE4 is crowd control, whereas there are not that many enemies on screen at the same this in this game. I do love the secondary fire on the pistol though. Hehe

Nemesis_

Erdrick said:
Ok, so I am in the third stage of the fight with the last boss on Legion Hunter difficulty mode and good GOD, what the hell is this?!? I spent over half an hour on this segment. I know what to do, or at least I did it twice before to get to this stage of the battle, but it just wont... give me the opportunity to get past this segment. Either this is one hell of a bullet sponge, or I am doing something wrong, or my copy of the game is glitched to hell and back.

I love the game otherwise, but seriously, I don't have an hour's worth of patience for this nonsense or whatever it takes to actually finish this. Whoever let this past QA needs to lay off the booze and drugs and actually pay attention to such... momentum-killing battles.

I had the same problem. I think it is glitched. Basically he doesn't take enough damage to glow yellow so you can break him over, due to Legion mode.

Basically, destroy the green shield -> put a hot boner on him -> run up very close -> fire at him (but not at the hot boner). He should freeze and you can finish him easily.

Acquired the Platinum this weekend (my first ever). All in all despite the bugs I thought it was a great game from start to finish (all four times I played), with one of the best soundtracks Ive heard over the past couple generations. Sequel please.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Act 2 was so much fun. That boss fight in 2-4, and the general tone or 2-3 were so good. The shop-keeper is great.

After playing a game a game that plays it SO safe and generally predictable like Ratchet and Clank, movijg onto something with such a clear, ridiculously over the top vision is so refreshing.

Top Bottom