• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Did anyone notice that the first time you fight the big demon with the red light on it's head, Johnson says; "I thought we were done with this guy!" Maybe there was some "deleted scene" in there and the dialogue didn't get adjusted? I'm pretty sure that's the first time you see that enemy type in the game.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
ToyMachine228 said:
Did anyone notice that the first time you fight the big demon with the red light on it's head, Johnson says; "I thought we were done with this guy!" Maybe there was some "deleted scene" in there and the dialogue didn't get adjusted? I'm pretty sure that's the first time you see that enemy type in the game.

There was a dead one pretty early on where you first see those triangle head demon things that shoot crows, wasn't there?

Really glad I gave this game a shot. Aesthetically and musically it's right up my alley, and gameplay wise it's hitting those RE4 and RE5 notes that nobody else seems to be able to grasp.

Shame about the horrendous sales, but not surprising in the least.

No Shit Lesson of the Day for EA: Not every game needs to be or should be $60.

Garcia Hotspur said:
There was a dead one pretty early on where you first see those triangle head demon things that shoot crows, wasn't there?

Oh yeah I get it now. Also, 24,000 copies? Jesus Christ. Give this game a price drop QUICK EA so people can pick it up and enjoy it before they forgot about it.

Well, looking at those sales numbers I guess we can move Shadows of the Damned into the cult classic category. And write off any chance of ever seeing a sequel. That means if you haven't bought it yet...Buy it now damn it!

TheOddOne

So I saw American McGee mentioned in the special thanks credits.
Then I noticed alot of the 2D section of SotD and Alice have the same style.

Wizpig

Jesus christ, those sales...

Anyway, finished my third run!

20kawk3.jpg

Now i'll have to start a fourth one! <3 the game etc. etc.

Funny thing during the final boss:
Fleming: when he open, er, himself, and you can see Paula inside him... if you get near him you notice that Paula is like, 3 meters tall.

Also a question, what happens if you actually shoot her?

ps. American mcGee eh? wonder how they cooperated.

Wizpig said:

20kawk3.jpg

Fleming: when he open, er, himself, and you can see Paula inside him... if you get near him you notice that Paula is like, 3 meters tall.

Instant death

alfieri said:
Although.... those demons that had the red tubes on their backs and went berserk? They drove me nuts! I could never hit them, they took me forever to beat. I think I must have embarrassingly bad aim.

No, there is definitely something very off about the aiming controls in that game. I have never played a game where I so consistently missed such obvious targets, and at close ranges no less. This game desperately needed a shotgun type weapon to offset its lacking aiming controls and tendency of having enemies swarm the player.

The skull gun should have had a cone spread instead of being a single point weapon, I found that design choice puzzling.

Tokubetsu

Wizpig said:

20kawk3.jpg

Any tips for the shoot them in the head after you bloew their legs off achievement?

LiK

went into it blind and nonstacking cheevos is lame. also no NG+ is disappointing. i still had a good time even tho i hated the instant kill sections.

george_us

Finally beat it last night. I had a good time overall but the game reall tapered off in the last half. Chapter 3 was awful and Chapter's 4 and 5 weren't as fun as the first two chapters.

TheOddOne

LiK said:
went into it blind and nonstacking cheevos is lame. also no NG+ is disappointing. i still had a good time even tho i hated the instant kill sections.
What suprises me also that there is no chapter select, even Vanquish had that. In light of all that it feels like a rushed product.

Tokubetsu said:
Any tips for the shoot them in the head after you bloew their legs off achievement?

I got it on accident, didn't even know I did it. I assumed I was using a variation of the Teether. Just randomly got it during one of my first two runs.

Unfortunately I called it.

I did my part and bought the game on day one and tried to spread the word about it. Well time to get to work on NMH3 on WiiU. If Suda and crew can make it in time for the launch window they should get some good sales.

Loach

Neo Member
Quick question for those that have played it: Is the aiming like RE5? Looking at videos I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the cursor moves around the screen a lot rather than being locked to the middle (like Vanquish, Uncharted etc). I'm really interested in this game, but couldn't stand RE5's aiming. Sorry haven't played RE4 so comparisons to that won't help me.

Eusis

Loach said:
Quick question for those that have played it: Is the aiming like RE5? Looking at videos I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the cursor moves around the screen a lot rather than being locked to the middle (like Vanquish, Uncharted etc). I'm really interested in this game, but couldn't stand RE5's aiming. Sorry haven't played RE4 so comparisons to that won't help me.
Depends on what you mean. You're not stationary, you can still strafe and move around while aiming, but you don't have a crosshair while doing so. Instead you have to follow the laser of your gun and the dot that forms on an enemy, and if that's what bugged you about RE5 it's present here. It's closer to Dead Space I'd say, go download one of the demos for that if you want an idea of what to expect.

Curufinwe

ToyMachine228 said:
I got it on accident, didn't even know I did it. I assumed I was using a variation of the Teether. Just randomly got it during one of my first two runs.

I just got it on my Easy playthru with the Teether before upgrades. In the cemetery, just keep shooting off their legs and then raise your aim up a little and you'll eventually get a headshot and the Trophy/Achievement.

And this is why I hate achievements/trophies. Spoiling shit for later in the game. *sigh*

Edit: "
The man who never had his fill
" is the best story I've heard in ages lol

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Duckhuntdog said:
Unfortunately I called it.

I did my part and bought the game on day one and tried to spread the word about it. Well time to get to work on NMH3 on WiiU. If Suda and crew can make it in time for the launch window they should get some good sales.

You're not actually proud of making such an obvious prediction, are you?

Ramenman said:
So... What did everyone think about the ending here ?

Can't complain at all. Even though a sequel will never happen it infers that
Garcia will keep kicking ass, and it ends with an amazing line; "I fucking love killing demons."
One of the best final lines in recent memory.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone who liked this game owes it to themselves to listen to the great 8-4 podcast this week. Lots of talk about early SotD, what it was like translating, when they got involved, how much creative control they had and then a great interview with Yamaoka about his early days at Konami, Silent Hill and what he's up to with Grasshopper now.

http://8-4.jp/blog/?p=432&lang=en

Himself

Ramenman said:
So... What did everyone think about the ending here ?

I think it's one of the better endings that I've seen in a while. It solidified Garcia and Paula as gaming's most interesting and most in love couple of this generation. It was well-written, tense, funny, silly...everything that game was wrapped up into a satisfying final scene.

I liked it.

Just finished my Legion Hunter run and I'm now 50/50 on the achievement front. Officially filed it away on my gaming shelf. Definitely worth the money for me. I don't play through most games three times these days. Also, strangely enough I didn't die a single time on Legion Hunter.

jyoung188

Rez said:
Anyone who liked this game owes it to themselves to listen to the great 8-4 podcast this week. Lots of talk about early SotD, what it was like translating, when they got involved, how much creative control they had and then a great interview with Yamaoka about his early days at Konami, Silent Hill and what he's up to with Grasshopper now.

http://8-4.jp/blog/?p=432&lang=en
I second this, it is a great show!

A really fun game to complete (1000/1000 plat) 3 times but oh so easy to exploit, even on hard. Dodge moves give you massive invincibility frames and you can pretty much kill everything with lightshot+brutal kill with an occasional shotgun blast. So just upgrade that and the lightshot and your good to go. It's how I did Legion Hunter and it was a breeze.

Second the notion that you should listen to the 8-4 podcast. I listened while starting my last run (demon hunter difficulty) and I got to act 5-2 when it ended :-D

Wizpig

StevePharma said:
Second the notion that you should listen to the 8-4 podcast. I listened while starting my last run (demon hunter difficulty) and I got to act 5-2 when it ended :-D
Oh, cool, just saw the podcast... i have to download it!

I still have to begin my fourth run, but it won't be long until i do.

Actually, i want to re-play Killer7 and FSR...

Any tips for the
third Grim sister
on the hardest difficulty? This is literally the first time I've had any trouble from anything on this difficulty setting.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
So... Apparently Massimo Guarini left Grasshopper to do his own thing at http://www.ovosonico.com/.

I enjoyed Shadows of the Damned, but hopefully this means we'll see more games directed by Suda or Iida. I want some more shit along the lines of Flower, Sun, and Rain and Killer 7 and less No More Heroes and Shadows of the Damned. I liked it better when Suda wasn't trying to make what he thought the western market would buy and just made what he wanted to make.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's shame, by all accounts he seemed like a real professional. I hope he has something nice lined up.

Ramenman

Himself said:
It solidified Garcia and Paula as gaming's most interesting and most in love couple of this generation.

Interesting.

I, personally, didn't give a crap about Paula. All she ever does in the game is die, cry, complain, and shout "garciiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" in pain and agony, or follow you in zombie mode. In my opinion she's the complete opposite of an interesting character. Not even sure I'd consider her a character, more of a comic relief.

The "love" that Garcia had for her was more or less part of the "parody" side of the game for me, along with the fact that she kept dying, then living again, then dying, then trying to kill you etc, and the fact that Garcia always falls for it thinking that she's the real deal and going all "aaww Paula angel" when it's so clearly a demon for the billionth time.

So when I felt that at the end the game was trying to move me by using this relationship in a "serious" way... It just felt flat. Very flat ._.

LiK

TheOddOne said:
What suprises me also that there is no chapter select, even Vanquish had that. In light of all that it feels like a rushed product.
Indeed, kills my ability to replay sections I like. What an oversight.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Paula is a lot more interesting when you realize that she's
the Female Demon Hunter Johnson tells you about. Forever condemned to be the devil's mistress :(

LiK

John Harker said:
Paula is a lot more interesting when you realize that she's
the Female Demon Hunter Johnson tells you about. Forever condemned to be the devil's mistress :(
Indeed. I was hoping for that too.

alfieri

Neo Member
brandonh83 said:
Any tips for the
third Grim sister
on the hardest difficulty? This is literally the first time I've had any trouble from anything on this difficulty setting.

now, I only played normal but isn't the trick the same?
when she's in the darkness, a fully charged skullcussioner blast to the red target will get you out of darkness instantly.

Amir0x

Banned
Welp after extensive play time thanks to $14.99 K-Mart steal i must say that this is the first Grasshopper Manufacture game that I can stomach for more than ten minutes at a time. The gameplay is mostly good except for the awful non-shooting shit like Chandelier and running from shambling girlfriend crap and there's even the occasional genuinely funny moment, which I wouldn't have expected judging from the lame humour in their past titles.

It seems to me to be offensively short (I've got 2 hours and a half on my clock on the hardest difficulty available to me... and I'm half way through Act 3... there are only 5 acts :/) so I'm glad I spent the low money. Does this game get harder at all?

But this is the first GHM game with good gameplay so it's a step in the right direction. Of course I do love my some RE4-style shooting, and this is just a faster version of that, so it's difficult to say how much of this is actual talent within the studio or just aping others who have better ideas than they. But hey, if the end result is decent like this is then we're going places finally.

Top Bottom