• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Amir0x said:
Welp after extensive play time thanks to $14.99 K-Mart steal i must say that this is the first Grasshopper Manufacture game that I can stomach for more than ten minutes at a time. The gameplay is mostly good except for the awful non-shooting shit like Chandelier and running from shambling girlfriend crap and there's even the occasional genuinely funny moment, which I wouldn't have expected judging from the lame humour in their past titles.

It seems to me to be offensively short (I've got 2 hours and a half on my clock on the hardest difficulty available to me... and I'm half way through Act 3... there are only 5 acts :/) so I'm glad I spent the low money. Does this game get harder at all?

But this is the first GHM game with good gameplay so it's a step in the right direction. Of course I do love my some RE4-style shooting, and this is just a faster version of that, so it's difficult to say how much of this is actual talent within the studio or just aping others who have better ideas than they. But hey, if the end result is decent like this is then we're going places finally.
The last boss should be the only one to give you trouble---only because it is a bit glitchy

Amir0x

Banned
Ah. Good to know.

My other complaint is just a general game complaint in so many games... I'm so tired of BIG RED GLOWY WEAKPOINTS. Come on guys is it so difficult to make enemies unique in other ways, ya know?

But this is an industry-wise problem so...

also GREAT music. But all GHM games seem to do that part right

Himself

Ramenman said:
Interesting.

I, personally, didn't give a crap about Paula. All she ever does in the game is die, cry, complain, and shout "garciiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" in pain and agony, or follow you in zombie mode. In my opinion she's the complete opposite of an interesting character. Not even sure I'd consider her a character, more of a comic relief.

The "love" that Garcia had for her was more or less part of the "parody" side of the game for me, along with the fact that she kept dying, then living again, then dying, then trying to kill you etc, and the fact that Garcia always falls for it thinking that she's the real deal and going all "aaww Paula angel" when it's so clearly a demon for the billionth time.

So when I felt that at the end the game was trying to move me by using this relationship in a "serious" way... It just felt flat. Very flat ._.

I hear you.
Paula had zero depth, (which I think helped with the tension during the ending with the phone call and knife to the throat bit because you don't really know what she's really like to begin with) but I liked Garcia's kinda boneheaded, monomaniacal commitment and dedication to her, cheesy one-liners and all.

I think the psycho-erotic parts of Act 4 with Gracia walking over her gigantic body parts etc. brought his desire for her to life.

I'm not trying to imply that it was some deep and visionary portrayal of romantic longing or anything, but I thought that it was simple and well-written within the context of a campy video game. Underneath the crass humor and grisly violence I felt was a pretty warm-hearted, kind-spirited, if completely shallow, love story.

What other couples has there been this generation anyway? Waiting for Catherine and Vincent next week...

Yep.

Amir0x

Banned
Of course Paula has zero depth. In all GHM games the females serve as some sort of symbol for the male characters uncontrollable sexual urges, which itself seeps into every aspect of the game.

All GHM games are basically one big dick joke. Even the fucking main castle in this game is a phallus.

Curufinwe

Amir0x said:
Welp after extensive play time thanks to $14.99 K-Mart steal i must say that this is the first Grasshopper Manufacture game that I can stomach for more than ten minutes at a time. The gameplay is mostly good except for the awful non-shooting shit like Chandelier and running from shambling girlfriend crap and there's even the occasional genuinely funny moment, which I wouldn't have expected judging from the lame humour in their past titles.

It seems to me to be offensively short (I've got 2 hours and a half on my clock on the hardest difficulty available to me... and I'm half way through Act 3... there are only 5 acts :/) so I'm glad I spent the low money. Does this game get harder at all?

My first playthru on Demon Hunter took 11 hours, but I did spend a fair amount of time looking around for hidden red gems.

Apparently the final boss can is very hard on Legion Hunter, but that's my 3rd playthru I'm only up to Act 2-3 on it.

Amir0x

Banned
Curufinwe said:
My first playthru on Demon Hunter took 11 hours, but I did spend a fair amount of time looking around for hidden red gems.

Apparently the final boss can is very hard on Legion Hunter, but that's my 3rd playthru I'm only up to Act 2-3 on it.

Is there a newgame+?

I don't see what there is to do with a replay. So far it's incredibly linear and there's not many secrets and I've already started on the hardest difficulty allotted to me... not much variety either.

~Kinggi~

Banned
God damnit this game wont do the bomba price drop. Instead amazon doesnt even have the ps3 version anymore. Says 10 days to get back. They are using other resellers now.

dustin

Neo Member
I'm having fun with the game, but at the same time, I'm not having fun with the game. When I play it I smile, I have fun, but when I'm not playing it, it's the farthest thing from mind. I don't care about it nor do I wish to rush to the TV and go play it. When I turn the PS3 off and go do something else, the game ceases to exist to me. I've never felt this way about a game before.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
~Kinggi~ said:
God damnit this game wont do the bomba price drop. Instead amazon doesnt even have the ps3 version anymore. Says 10 days to get back. They are using other resellers now.
Hahaha. I feel the exact same way.

The non-skippable cutscenes are seriously detrimental. I'm playing on Legion Hunter and where I'm not the best gamer ever, there's been a few rough spots-- all of which have like a 2 minute cutscene before I can try again.

It's just dumb. There's no excuse for that.

So I cant find this in my local target, gamestop, or best buy....is it because its so awesome and everyone is buying it once it comes in!? or is it just they didnt make a new shipment?

deadmuffin said:
So I cant find this in my local target, gamestop, or best buy....is it because its so awesome and everyone is buying it once it comes in!? or is it just they didnt make a new shipment?

Only 25,000 or so copies were made.

theDeeDubs

~Kinggi~ said:

It makes me feel guilty that I've been checking for a price drop or $10 credit from Amazon since it went up for preorder there daily. My backlog is the only thing keeping me from jumping in at full price.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
Is there a newgame+?

I don't see what there is to do with a replay. So far it's incredibly linear and there's not many secrets and I've already started on the hardest difficulty allotted to me... not much variety either.

No NG+. There's a fourth difficulty if you beat it on the hardest initially available, but thats it. The game is seriously lacking unlockables.

Amir0x

Banned
EatChildren said:
No NG+. There's a fourth difficulty if you beat it on the hardest initially available, but thats it. The game is seriously lacking unlockables.

ah, well the fourth difficulty is nice to know about. The game is really easy right now

Gravijah

Uhm, is freezing normal in this game? I'm playing the PS3 version and I got an infinite loading screen about 30 minutes in at the part where you
run around grabbing hearts in the maze place.

kodecraft

EatChildren said:

This game with its glitches, lack of new game+, hyped-names attached to it, quick bursts of fun but not too satisfying...... is what I call a "fast food" game.

This is "fast food" gaming at its finest.

ironcreed

Banned
I finally have this on the way from Gamefly. I have been dying to play it, but it really seems like more of a perfect rental for me. No need to own it, I just want to play it.

dygiT said:

I was just making a joke about how the game sold only 25,000 copies.

Anyway just beat this on Legion Hunter and nothing drives me up the fucking wall more than not getting trophies for the lower difficulty levels.

Himself

I considered going for my first Platinum with this. I collected a good amount on my first playthrough and I'd definitely like to give it a second go utilizing some different attack strategies. Between the guns with their upgrades and alternate attacks, melees, the torch, brutal kills, light shots, etc. the game gives you a pretty good variety of ways to attack as long as you don't settle in on one or two reliables like I did. (Hot boner bombs and light shot/melee all the way).

brandonh83 said:
I was just making a joke about how the game sold only 25,000 copies.

Anyway just beat this on Legion Hunter and nothing drives me up the fucking wall more than not getting trophies for the lower difficulty levels.
Hence I stopped playing since beating it.

Also, I still believe this game needed to come out at Halloween and it would've been so cool if we had a haunted house stage...kinda like SH3

Man the
second Sister of Death
screwed me because I'm colourblind. Couldn't figure out which one was her since I couldn't see the change in her color. Had to get my sister to come point at the TV and tell me which one I should shoot.

Amir0x said:
Ah. Good to know.

My other complaint is just a general game complaint in so many games... I'm so tired of BIG RED GLOWY WEAKPOINTS.

I hear this a lot, so a question to those who do not like the clearly marked weak point enemy design. How is the just shoot it anywhere approach treating you? Because from my experience that is the only prevalent alternative.

I vote to keep the glory things.

Owzers

I was having fun with this game up until the second stage of the big boner minigame level....now not so much :( Reminds me of Dead Space's Asteroid shooting minigame that i hated.

I'm not digging Act 4, i did manage my way through the big boner stages through a certain amount of " i'm just getting unlucky with rushing creatures, be more methodical", that doesn't mean i ENJOYED the stage though. I also don't really like the 2D mini-levels either mainly because the controls feel really sluggish.

Ok so I cleared this in 9 hours and it was rather enjoyable. I had a friend try it out and he felt the complete opposite. Anyone have this experience?

kliklik

Banned
I just returned to play it on Legion Hunter for my third and final playthrough after platinuming Enslaved and holy crap, I don't remember George crashing out of walls so much. I have a very nervous and jumpy nature, so by the time I finished that boss fight, I was actually shaking. I had to walk around a bit to calm down. First time the game has scared me (despite the harmonica...!)

Amir0x said:
Even the fucking main castle in this game is a phallus.

Well to be fair, it would be hard to make the castle look like a vagina.

kliklik

Banned
Not to be moralistic and preachy, but please buy new for this game at least. It only sold 24k copies. It's not doing too well. A new copy sale not only gets money to the developer but at least counts as a sale towards the total and will boost that pitiful number. You should be able to find a new copy for $40 and if it's still too high, you probably won't have to wait too long for it to drop a bit lower (sadly).

Finished my first playthrough on the way to a plat. I fucking love the music, and sound effects in general. The voice work is great too, and so are the fairy tale stories they dropped in. Really cool game. Love me some hot boner!

Gravijah

Start game. Hammer buttons to skip the various things that pop up... and now I have two green bars with black in the middle across my screen with 75% of the image above them being just black. What the fuck is wrong with this game? Huh, some text popped up above it. "N/H(can't tell, it's cutoff)AND NOT RECOGNIZED"

I don't think it's my PS3 or display either because the XMB pops up normal.

Ridley327

Salih said:
wow they got Chiaki Kuriyama as Paula.
And Tadanobu "Japanese Johnny Depp" Asano as Garcia!

Weird about the censoring, though; it's already CERO Z, so it's not like it's going to be sold to anyone ever.

Kevtones

Into Chapter 5. I'm liking it, but the love has worn off.

Very repetitive and I don't care for the mix-up sessions.

7/10 and probably my least favorite Suda game (which is to say pretty good).

~Kinggi~

Banned
BocoDragon said:
What version should I get? 360 or PS3?
Ps3 has better texture filtering and some lod stuff.

360 has less screen tearing and framerate issues, has motion blur and less lighting bugs.

Comparisons show the games have their pluses and minuses and somewhat even out. Digital Foundry gave ps3 a slight edge.

Owzers

I'm on 5-3 now, initial verdict:

This game is a fun rental but i don't think i'll be buying it, if i had bought it like i intended to i'd probably end up selling it. I do like it overall though, it's probably my second favorite game this year after Portal 2.

Why i'm not buying it:

Act 4: While not terrible, i never want to play it again, ever.

No new game + or anything outside of the main game, which isn't horrible, but since i don't want to replay all of the main game that really goes against it. I imagine a lot had to do with keeping the budget down, but a Mercenaries type mode with this game could be a lot of fun too, it has a lot more mechanics than RE 4/5.

While i really like the world, it could use more "characters", while the game overall has a ton of personality it certainly lacks enough memorable people, most of the time you're killing a different assortment of enemy types and there aren't many allies/enemies that stand out.

Definitely recommend everyone play this game if they are still on the fence though.

Top Bottom