• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

Aramiyo

Banned
Before I cry my heart out:

What is the best DC emulator that has compatibility with Shenmue?

nullDC probably runs it the best, it's fully playable but has a few graphical glitches here and there.

I think I may have to follow suit and replay them. Still got my Dreamcast setup with copies of Shenmue I & II at the ready for emergencies.

Mr. RPG

Does anyone know if Yu Suzuki is still only going to release the conclusion via a game or has he stated he might be willing to do a book or manga on the story's conclusion?

That would have made a good question.

soultron

Banned
The game would be so much cheaper to develop for today it is insane no one will take him up on it.

It comes with a bit of baggage, however.

Shenmue is a niche game with a small (but passionate) audience.
How would you ramp up people to S3 if they're new to the series and haven't played S1/S2? Do you also do a port of those first, or include it with S3 as a complete package?
What do you charge for S3?
What platform will it be on?

These factors swirl together to make S3 a risky proposition to any publisher, I think. There's probably no way S3 would make its money back unless it was released on its own and the presentation values were lower than what we expect from most games these days.

It's the same type of problem I see with a franchise like Yakuza. Few people can get their hands on the original PS2 games now, they're not easy to "jump into" at any place but the beginning because of the established narratives, and the fanbase seems to contract with each release. I feel this is why we're not getting English translations anymore.

This is all speculation (with no sales data) on my part, however.

I want to see S3 but the longer we go on, the less of a chance I see it happening.

Synth

Can he though, if Sega still has the games rights?

Ok, that's true. He may not be able to give the draft scripts or anything like that.

But he could at least be more upfront when it comes to if we should stop hoping for a sequel. He could likely also just tells us the important even in a little more detail than "these are the four stages, and here are 11 images".

It has been 14 years...

Ok, that's true. He may not be able to give the draft scripts or anything like that.

But he could at least be more upfront when it comes to if we should stop hoping for a sequel. He could likely also just tells us the important even in a little more detail than "these are the four stage", and here are 11 images.

It has been 14 years...

This, plus his answer has left me sad. I think it's officially time to move on for me. That way, if part 3 ever happens, it will be shocking and beautiful. I can't take this anymore. It's over for me. Best of luck to all of you keeping the dream alive!

ajim

But he could at least be more upfront when it comes to if we should stop hoping for a sequel. He could likely also just tells us the important even in a little more detail than "these are the four stages, and here are 11 images".

It has been 14 years...

I understand completely... I do. But maybe he actually can't... And maybe he has the hope inside like we all do.

Those four stages and 11 images are better than nothing... Better. Than. Nothing.

:'(

Recall

We can only move on when the cliff hanger is solved. Fuck just sell us a PDF with the story written out and concept art intersected in. Help us to move on, give us closure!

shenhaZ

Neo Member
This, plus his answer has left me sad. I think it's officially time to move on for me. That way, if part 3 ever happens, it will be shocking and beautiful. I can't take this anymore. It's over for me. Best of luck to all of you keeping the dream alive!

Is it too stressful for you to read a few news in the year and show your support to community and Yu?

A third part would have to include all of the remaining chapters (because there would never be a 4th) and so conceivably would need to be a massive game.
The first two are going to need to be re-released and do damn well for it to even be a possibility.
How did nobody ask him about any re-release plans!?

Aramiyo

Banned
A third part would have to include all of the remaining chapters (because there would never be a 4th) and so conceivably would need to be a massive game.
The first two are going to need to be re-released and do damn well for it to even be a possibility.
How did nobody ask him about any re-release plans!?

That's what I was thinking.

Expected that immediately after "Shenmue 3 when?"

Orlov

Yea I didn't catch that one. Would love to see it though.

map.jpg

openrob

From the 500k page on facebook:

He said : 作りたいです。(tsukuritai desu ne) Which is : i want to make it.
Then he said : きかいがある、作りたいと思います。)Basically : if i have a platform, i'd like to make it.

skybaby

Short of a billionaire financing this on his dime, we're not getting anything. Cerny probably looked into the financial options with Suzuki and figured it's not really financially feasible.

So as far as I can tell, the rest of the chapters were set to take place in deeper parts of China. Interesting. It's a shame Ryo's travels would never bring him back to Japan. One of the things I liked about the first game more than its sequel was the setting.

Poor Nozomi

Nozomi was the one that got away; the love lost when embarking on the path of revenge. Suzuki clearly had Shenhua in mind as Ryo's destined waifu.

team Lishao Tao

Zephyrus

Banned
It comes with a bit of baggage, however.

Shenmue is a niche game with a small (but passionate) audience.
How would you ramp up people to S3 if they're new to the series and haven't played S1/S2? Do you also do a port of those first, or include it with S3 as a complete package?
What do you charge for S3?
What platform will it be on?

These factors swirl together to make S3 a risky proposition to any publisher, I think. There's probably no way S3 would make its money back unless it was released on its own and the presentation values were lower than what we expect from most games these days.

It's the same type of problem I see with a franchise like Yakuza. Few people can get their hands on the original PS2 games now, they're not easy to "jump into" at any place but the beginning because of the established narratives, and the fanbase seems to contract with each release. I feel this is why we're not getting English translations anymore.

This is all speculation (with no sales data) on my part, however.

I want to see S3 but the longer we go on, the less of a chance I see it happening.

killer instinct came back after 20 years and was a success.

That's all that needs to be said.

Why Sega pushes Yakuza after yakuza and ignores Shenmue is beyond me.
Shenmue is a better game in every aspect.
The combat is miles ahead.
The setting too.

No wonder Sega had trouble after trouble. They have no vision. They released Shenmue on the original xbox ffs. And I think it was a launch title.

it's like they send the games out to day and then go "Oh, guess people don't want this"...

fuck I'm mad.

Maligna

Banned
How about we change the next month's twitter campaign to #killshenmue

I honestly just want it over with. Either shit or get off the pot. But I'm tired of this consuming my life every time I get my hopes up.

Killer Instinct isn't subpar anymore!

It's funny (depressing) to compare the tone of this thread to how it was before the event, lol. Probably a good thing a separate thread wasn't created for this.

Very true. As ive said before, wait until E3, or until Giocorsi reveals the sony list. I think everyone is upset due to the stupid questions asked at the QnA. Especially since we all want to know whats happening with Shenmue/PS4/Cerny/Suzuki etc.

lachesis

Gold Member
well I thought Kowloon & Guilin was just so awesome, although the port area was rather.. hmm.

One of the great thing about the Shenmue was sense of "location". I really felt like I was on a journey with Ryo in virtual world. When Ryo left to someplace, I really felt like leaving someplace that I've become accustomed to - and it was something very much unlike than any other games out there.

Shenmue fans, did Sleeping Dogs feel like a pseudo spiritual successor to you in any way? I'm thinking of picking it up and it does seem to me a bit like a more violent and gritty Shenmue.

Josh7289

From the 500k page on facebook:

Here's the exact Japanese:

作りたいですね。機会があれば作りたいと思っていますが。

And my own, more accurate translation:

"I want to make it. If I get a chance I'd like to make it."

ajim

Really glad the rest of the series was going to take place in China. The clash between 1 and 2's settings is a big part of the reason I love the games so much. They compliment each other. They were going to go even further in 3 with Ryo being in a rural China town which is a complete 180 tonal shift from 2.

well I thought Kowloon & Guilin was just so awesome, although the port area was rather.. hmm.

One of the great thing about the Shenmue was sense of "location". I really felt like I was on a journey with Ryo in virtual world. When Ryo left to someplace, I really felt like leaving someplace that I've become accustomed to - and it was something very much unlike than any other games out there.

I agree.

Whilst I loved Shenmue 1 and being in Japan, heading to China and was even more awesome. HK, Kowloon and Guilin were like miniature worlds the way they portrayed.

And I know going deeper into rural China would have led to some beautiful imagery and more beautiful music.

v0rtikal

With all due respect...the questions sucked so hard! ;( goddamnit..such a missed opportunity, only the first question was good - the answer on the other hand was the same as always.

You are so right. The dream of playing Shenmue 3 started into my adolescence extending into my adult life. It's time to let go...

Don't know why so many feel the need to finally give up hope. Looking back, if there was going to be an announcement about the future of the series, this wasn't the event to do it in. There will be a follow up to this post-mortem, and then a grander stage at E3.

Just looking at Yu's face, and seeing how happy he was - that alone, to me, says we're getting a sequel eventually. He still has so much enthusiasm for Shenmue. I honestly knew nothing was going to be announced after they showed that "Shenmue 2: To be continued" screen.

Top Bottom