• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

ajim

You are so right. The dream of playing Shenmue 3 started into my adolescence extending into my adult life. It's time to let go...

It's because the dream started in my adolescence and carried on into my adult life is why I will never give up hope.

I've had hope for this long, whats another 10 years? I can do it.

I still love the games more than anything, so it's the least I can do.

IrishNinja

again, i enjoyed what we got. also it's crushing hearing the alleged details on why we never saw 1/2 HD but it's also upsetting to hear JGR & NiGHTS HD didn't sell well, i bought mine & assumed they did good based on forum/etc talk, shame (for Skies fans as well).

It's funny (depressing) to compare the tone of this thread to how it was before the event, lol. Probably a good thing a separate thread wasn't created for this.

haha, seriously

akaoni

Banned
Waited for the postmortem as someone who hasn't played much of the series. The "To Be Continued" was the ultimate troll, I hope there's going to be second postmortem....

DeVeAn

If I ever become rich I swear I will buy SEGA and return them to the glory days. So many stupid decisions and blunders from SEGA it drives me nutz. Someone said it earlier Shenmue 2 a launch title on Xbox...What were they expecting?!?!

Castef

Banned
If I ever become rich I swear I will buy SEGA and return them to the glory days. So many stupid decisions and blunders from SEGA it drives me nutz. Someone said it earlier Shenmue 2 a launch title on Xbox...What were they expecting?!?!

In perspective, that has been more meaningfull than publishing it on the dying Dreamcast.

Problem is: they should have started with the first one.

Coxy

Shenmue fans, did Sleeping Dogs feel like a pseudo spiritual successor to you in any way? I'm thinking of picking it up and it does seem to me a bit like a more violent and gritty Shenmue.

nope, it's just generic western open world design 101 with a triad theme, collectathon of boring stuff with terrible open world sub-missions and mediocre really easy combat

I was particularly disappointed with the fact there was only 3 minigames and they were all shit

The map image surprises me, as I always expected that the final chapter(s) of Shenmue would take Ryo to the USA, where he'd end up reuniting with Nozomi. That felt like too perfect a set-up in 1 to me. I expected a whole lot more China, then a flight to the USA for the finale.

Boogybro

i2xboaLf4MZS4.gif

Recall

I'm just glad we still have the Yakuza series, yes it's not exactly the same but its close enough to really fill the void Shenmue left.

Pyrrhus

I'm just glad we still have the Yakuza series, yes it's not exactly the same but its close enough to really fill the void Shenmue left.

We, uh, don't. They're not bringing Y5 or Ishin over. I was a little underwhelmed by what he shared. I didn't think the talk about the use of object oriented programming and instances was very surprising.

Koralsky

One word after watching Yu Suzuki's Shenmue Postmortem - SEGA, please, release Shenmue 1 & 2 HD.

Nothing more, nothing less...

Yama

One word after watching Yu Suzuki's Shenmue Postmortem - SEGA, please, release Shenmue 1 & 2 HD.

Nothing more, nothing less...

Why nothing more? I'd rather not be stuck in an HD cave forever. :p

Seriously though, the games look gorgeous via VGA. Unless completely reworked, it'll leave the same horrible feeling rendered at a higher resolution. I want them as bad as the next Shenmue fan, but only if it leads to more.

I thought it was a great talk. We have all known how long it was under development but to see the stages of development were very interesting especially the story line draft stages.

I'm more disappointed in people complaining about Shenmue III. Sure, there were a lot of expectations but GDC was an outlet to just talk more about the game. I think an announcement as massive as announcing III would be a bad idea. I remain hopeful but we have to be realistic. No one wants to cough up the money to pay for the game that is this old. I can sadly see why people find it a huge risk especially considering the sales of the first two games.

I found it rude to ask outright about the status of III during the QA, Yu looked uncomfortable and it was definitely the elephant in the room. I wish they addressed that this is not about III or the HD remakes at the beginning of the presentation. Just my opinion, but I would feel embarrassed to present all this beta information and character design art and get questions not really related to the game's development.

Why not ask about the transition from Saturn to Dreamcast? I always wanted to see more footage of the Saturn version. Or anything actually related to development? Not freaking Space Harrier. The man came to talk about Shenmue. I found the whole QA out of scope and almost disrespectful at times. It was a wasted opportunity. And shame on the GDC manager for leading people on with that tweet. Yu wants to make it and he would if he could. Someone really needs to step up (SEGA, Sony, etc.), not him.

ajim

The Shenmue facebook page just linked to this from someone who managed to talk to Cerny after the talk:

1959755_10151896839265927_295525448_n.jpg
i saw that.

that's nice and all, but its pretty much how its been the past 14 years. No one wants to touch it or take it on board, and probably never will.

anyway, I enjoyed the talk a lot and that hour went a lot faster than I had hoped it would :(

has anyone done a postmortem dissection yet on shenmue dojo (I don't post there anymore)? If not, I was considering doing one but there may be some who are more knowledgeable than about about shenmues inner workings.

but there was a lot of info given in that postmortem and clues where I think we can dissect into finer detail and discuss.

Who expected niche titles like Star Citizen and Kingdom Come: Deliverance to do as well as they did on Kickstarter? I believe Shenmue could easily reach its goal.

Synth

Who expected niche titles like Star Citizen and Kingdom Come: Deliverance to do as well as they did on Kickstarter? I believe Shenmue could easily reach its goal.

It depends on what they goal is really. You have to keep in mind that Star Citizen received a lot of its funding due to the ability to draw in continuous revenue. Shenmue being a being more of a fixed development, doesn't have the potential to constantly upsell to its audience by expanding on the product.

With that said though, if they were to either make it in the style of a Dreamcast sequel, or simply repurpose what they can from Yakuza (engine, standard NPC models etc) it really should not be that expense to create.

Omikaru

Those games had far lower goals than the amounts they raised in the end. Any Shenmue Kickstarter doesn't have the luxury of asking for $500,000 as an initial goal and then hoping the rest trickles in as the game is in development, which is what happened with Star Citizen. It didn't raise that $40m in the course of a 31 day campaign.

I'm sceptical that any Shenmue game in this day and age would cost as much as it did back in the day, unless they were going for a really high budget AAA production (which would be foolish beyond belief -- a game which captures the essence of Shenmue and stays true to the first two games can be produced without AAA graphics and so on), but regardless of that I just don't think we'd be able to raise the budget necessary to produce the kind of game that stays true to Shenmue.

If we're going to get a new Shenmue, either Sega needs to front the cash itself (unlikely) or someone else needs to write the cheques in a Bayonetta 2-style situation. I can't see it going any other way.

Nicktendo86

I get the feeling Yu is desperate to get the final chapters made, as much as the rest of us probably, but it has just not been possible as no one wants to touch it. With the way the industry is going now with developers left, right and centre going bust and pubs less likely to take risks, it is becoming less likely we will ever get more Shenmue.

If all the fans just give £1/$1 per year they've been kept waiting then the game'll get funded in no time!

Seriously though, I hope it has some cool rewards with one being like a manga version of the entire story or something.....

Erevador

Why is it that Shenmue, a game where you can buy nothing of any value, captures the joy of consumerism better than any other game?

Yes, I WILL buy more milk to qualify for raffle tickets. I need every secret music tape!

ajim

I got an original xbox for just to play Panzer Dragoon Orta and Shenmue would probably be the one and only game to buy an xbone, ever! (if it was an exclusive)
I did the exact same thing. Bought it for orta and shenmue II despite already owning it on Dreamcast.

orta is beautiful.

Jeff doesn't like Shenmue but don't take him seriously there, its pretty much a joke rant to wind people up. I have seen way too many Shenmue fans today go completely overboard and start insulting him over nothing.

Jeff doesn't like Shenmue but don't take him seriously there, its pretty much a joke rant to wind people up. I have seen way too many Shenmue fans today go completely overboard and start insulting him over nothing.
The thing is a lot of people don't even know who he is and because of it can't see the sarcasm. In the end it just alienates that crowd.

The thing is a lot of people don't even know who he is and because of it can't see the sarcasm. In the end it just alienates that crowd.

But then it wasnt meant for the Shenmue crowd. It was said at the Giant Bomb panel infront of Giant Bomb fans. I get what you mean about people not knowing Jeff Gerstmann so taking it the wrong way but that should never be his concern.

IrishNinja

Gerstmann on the wrong side of history again, nothing new there

i respect dude's work in the industry but i'm not a fan of giant bomb, really

Jcgamer60

10257077_721135517928980_8899874857952264129_n.jpg

HAZUKI jacket
Inspired by Shenmue

Few games are as universally loved as Shenmue and so we are very proud to announce the launch of our next new limited edition jacket, inspired by the one worn by Ryo Hazuki in the classic games. Complete with stitched detailing and epic printed tiger, this is THE jacket to wear, whether you're at the dojo, popping to the convenience store or hanging around the docks...

Coming soon in 2014 by Insert Coin clothing
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.661617430547456.1073741835.109691562406715&type=3

Top Bottom