• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Something else that really made me curious/nervous for the next few episodes was Sherlock's deductions around Mary, with the words "shortsighted" and "liar" being among them. I hope those are just character flaws and not something much deeper or darker.

We can't be sure if 'shortsighted' was referring to her eyesight or not. But yeah, the liar thing...eee.

also she seemed to know the text messages she was getting was coded. yeah it could be a normal deduction or she could know more than she's letting on.

Spoiler tag it. I want to know.

I am not sure, actually, the series is likely not going to pan out like the books did. I know what happens with Mary, sure, but they might be setting her up for something bigger.

Wild speculation:
Like maybe she is the actual Moran? HAHA. Morstan/Moran it could happen!

Yeah, I don't believe there's anything in the canon that could really play into this series, but just from what we know so far:
- John hasn't known her very long (relatively speaking)
- the liar/shortsighted stuff that was previously mentioned
- Her ability to decipher that code

My idea (that I think may be slightly rooted in canon, correct me if I'm wrong):
Magnussen's character in the books is a blackmailer. Maybe he has something on Mary's parents/family and is blackmailing her into doing some horrible shit to Sherlock and/or John.

I am not sure, actually, the series is likely not going to pan out like the books did. I know what happens with Mary, sure, but they might be setting her up for something bigger.

Wild speculation:
Like maybe she is the actual Moran? HAHA. Morstan/Moran it could happen!

Yeah, it's hard too say how much they'll be taking from the books regarding Mary, since it is an adaptation. I do hope for more as she's a fun character and that Amanda's portrayal seems to demonstrate that.

Vagabundo

My DVR stopped recording maybe 30 seconds from the end - I'm guessing - It was coming up on a shot of Mycroft, I think. I'll have to download the episode to cat whatever that was.

Dammit Stooopid machine.

Good show, chaps.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Well, I finally finished the episode and all I can say is that it is good to have Sherlock back. Then again I didn't have to wait too long (15 days) as I only recently started watching the series. I loved how they kept making fun of fan theories regarding Sherlock's "death" and loved seeing more Mycroft, can't wait for the next episode.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My DVR stopped recording maybe 30 seconds from the end - I'm guessing - It was coming up on a shot of Mycroft, I think. I'll have to download the episode to cat whatever that was.

Dammit Stooopid machine.

Good show, chaps.

I set mine to record 10 minutes before and after the show so this never happens. Check your settings or something.

I was kind of thinking maybe the "liar" bit was in relation to John's moustache. Damn, now I'm not so sure...

Awesome episode. Only two more :(

We doing spoiler tags?

In any case, MOLLY!

Kind of have to since not everyone is choosing to watch now and would rather wait for it to locally air in their country. I'm tagging and linking gifs at the moment in my posts.

But I think everyone was awesome in this episode. It's great to see the changes after 2+ years in people.

Feran

Wait, regarding the theories about Sherlock's death was the very last one supposed to be the actual one? I was under the impression he just fed Anderson a lame story to mess with him but now I'm not sure.

Showaddy

Wait, regarding the theories about Sherlock's death was the very last one supposed to be the actual one? I was under the impression he just fed Anderson a lame story to mess with him but now I'm not sure.

The fact that it finally provides an answer as to why the poisoned girl was screaming at Sherlock kinda convinced me.

Also, I forgot to mention, I was dying when they literally did the thing.

tumblr_mjj9cm0i3f1s0cs5fo8_r1_400.gif

(These comics were SUPER popular in fandom for a long time)

Danj

Also, I forgot to mention, I was dying when they literally did the thing.

tumblr_mjj9cm0i3f1s0cs5fo8_r1_400.gif

(These comics were SUPER popular in fandom for a long time)

Haha that's awesome.

But anyway yeah I enjoyed the first episode of season 3, although I think the trolling level has risen to Moffat^2, hopefully he will have got that out of his system by next episode (which is on Sunday, I believe).

Vagabundo

I love the way they show how Sherlock does his thang with the phrases popping up, but now it is reminding me of that damn Doge meme.

QUOTE=St3v3;95565811]I set mine to record 10 minutes before and after the show so this never happens. Check your settings or something.[/QUOTE]

I'll check the settings, but it's all automatic. The DVR comes with the cable TV and it's pretty basic.

Mariolee

Finally watched it. All I can say is...

wow. The theory that I read online was pretty much spot-fucking on.

I just, my mind doesn't even to know where to start with discussing this. I'm sure you guys have already scraped it down from top to bottom.

cntr

Banned
Holy shit yes that was amazing. Can't stop being pumped up at how excellent that was. Can't believe that there are people who actually disliked it, HERESY!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I had a smile throughout the whole episode! I want to write in all CAPS just to say how satisfied I was with it and how HAPPY I AM THAT IT'S BACK!

SHERLOCK IS MOTHERFUCKING BACK! :D :D :D :D :D :D: D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

God....everything about this episode man, EVERYTHING!

Mariolee

AND A NEW EPISODE ON SUNDAY? My goodness, Christmas is still giving, isn't it? However, I can't spend the whole day fanboy-ing, much as I want. I have the beginning of my second quarter uni the next day. :(

Still, that was quite an episode. Loved the explanation because it's the one that made the most sense. I wasn't even mad because they really handled it well with Anderson.

As someone mentioned before however, this episode did feel very oddly place and a bit more "fanwanky" like Doctor Who. Still fantastic however. Next episode looks like awesome too. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.

Vagabundo

Holy shit yes that was amazing. Can't stop being pumped up at how excellent that was. Can't believe that there are people who actually disliked it, HERESY!

I can see why some people won't like it. The show was licking it's own arse at little.

Saying that it was enormous fun, with great acting and dialogue.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

LordCanti

I can see why some people won't like it. The show was licking it's own arse at little.

Saying that it was enormous fun, with great acting and dialogue.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

That arse is so clean now that they couldn't possibly clean it anymore. That's what I wanted though, so I'm okay with this.

Fou-Lu

Amazing first episode! I watched it with a big group of friends and had them all staring at me over Sherlock's reveal of how he survived since it was basically exactly the same as the description I'd given them of how I would do it right before the show started.

Cumberbatch and Freeman are still my favorite actor duo of all time, and it was so cool seeing Cumberbatch's parents play Sherlock's parents.

Z..

I'm 3 mins into it and it's making me want to puke. What the fuck is this shit? oO

Edit: Thank god. They totally had me going for a second, there... I'm too gullible, it seems

Monocle

S3E1 was great.

The kind of flimsy terrorist attack thing that some people complained about was nothing more than an efficient plot device to get Sherlock back to London, back in everyone's lives again, and reconciled with Watson. I think it's perfectly obvious that the whole point of this episode was character building. Just as it should have been. This episode was right to focus on the characters because that's true to the core of the show: not crime solving, but the relationships. From the beginning, the characters have come first.

All of the cheeky nods to fans were very well done. Sherlock's fanbase has become part of its identity. A lack of meta commentary would have seemed inappropriate somehow, given the show's knowing modern tone and its creators' and cast's connection with the fans. The internet has made television more interactive than ever before. Fans aren't passive viewers but deeply and directly engaged participants in a social experience. It's become commonplace for popular TV series to acknowledge and sometimes troll their fandoms. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the most enjoyable aspects of following a show.

Sherlock is back, and I'm so glad to see it has its priorities straight.

Can anyone explain to me what happened when Sherlock and Molly were solving crimes?
Sherlock kept on thinking things like "showoff" to himself and telling himself to shut up.

Any thoughts?

Sheroking

He is the one that keeps Moffat's writing in check.

With no evidence whatsoever to support that argument, other than the fact that Sherlock is perceived as better.

Here's the thing: Moffat can't write Sherlock like he writes Doctor Who because Doctor Who allows him to do anything he wants from any direction at any time, where as in Sherlock - the most unrealistic thing he can pull from is ridiculous, over-the-top deductions from Sherlock himself.

Moffat writes Who the way he always saw Who, the way he likes Who and that's not going to be "reigned in" by anybody. I'm personally torn. I think he's the best actual writer to work on Who in it's fifty year history, but not ideal for showrunner based on how he sees the show. He clearly wrote the best stuff during the RTD era.

So a fresh take would be nice, but I'm afraid of losing episodes like Blink, The Eleventh Hour and The Girl In The Fireplace in the mean time.

Top Bottom