• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Gawge

Shitlock.

Two of three episodes done, and we have had two five-minute minor mysteries.

Before, you couldn't miss a second of an episode, it was packed full of really interesting mysteries and juicy plot. These things are long-ass webisodes/fan-fiction.

Clegg

A bit different from what we've seen in any other Sherlock episode.

I loved it. There doesn't seem to be much of a story arc for this series though.

Empty

heh. seems to be very divisive between those that like the show as all about the characters and those who like the 90 minute long complicated mysteries

TrueBlue

Really enjoyed that. I like how they wrapped in the seemingly irrelevant stories into one complete mystery. The stories themselves were littered with heartwarming and funny moments.

I also like the continued focus on the changing relationship between Sherlock and John, and I feel it will have a big impact come the next episode, especially with a great blackmailer being involved.

Also,
Irene cameo!

Gambit

If the series was more than three episodes, I'd be perfectly fine with tonight's outing.

Since we only get three, I feel I was cheated out of at least one regular episode.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Like, I wouldn't mind a good, meaty mystery next week, but I like this show for much more than the mystery aspect. I love that the show can break it's own format like this.
It's supposed to be a crime/mystery drama.
The makers consider it a drama about a man who solves crimes and mysteries, which is a different thing entirely.

For example, The Reichenbach Fall isn't about solving a mystery any more than tonight's was. Ditto A Scandal In Belgravia, or even A Study in Pink.

I really enjoyed that... as someone said the drunk deductions were hilarious - slightly disappointed that with just 3 episodes a season we are getting 'slower' episodes that have the kind of pace that makes them feel like filler episodes but I have to say I did really enjoy that episode and how well it all tied together in the end. If the first half didn't feel so disjointed and 'slow' the way it came together wouldn't have felt so interesting.

Looks like Charles' story will drag over into the next season like Moriarty's did. I imagine they will meet right at the end of the last episode.

Gawge

Probably the funniest episode that they have done.

To be fair, it was pretty funny. But... it's Sherlock, not Big Bang Theory.

If this was a mid-season episode in a long run, it would be fine. But you get 3 episodes every couple of years, these two have felt like a total waste. Characters are being set up for what end? We know John and Sherlock like each other, we don't need 3 hours to establish that.

CrunchyB

I liked this one a lot better than the first. It was genuinely funny and touching and it featured a good mystery.

But isn't it time for an actual mystery-driven episode? It's Sherlock Holmes ffs.

L1NETT

heh. seems to be very divisive between those that like the show as all about the characters and those who like the 90 minute long complicated mysteries

I don't mind the overly indulgent moments that much, this episode was clogged full of them.

Problem is when the episode feels like it is going nowhere, just meandering around. It was amusing in places, but that's wasn't enough for me to drive it along.

When I meant it picked up for me it was when the episode actually picked up and something happened

I forgave the first episode for similar things because that was an introduction but for it to happen again with no overarching anything is disappointing.

It's Sherlock Holmes, I didn't expect or really want a fanfic soppy soap thing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll watch ep 2 later. The only thing I dislike about the show is how few episodes there are. We wait 2 years from season 3 and it's over next weekend.

I wish they could run it like a mini series every 2 years and do like 10 episodes.

To be fair, it was pretty funny. But... it's Sherlock, not Big Bang Theory.

No no, funny.

I'll watch ep 2 later. The only thing I dislike about the show is how few episodes there are. We wait 2 years from season 3 and it's over next weekend.

I wish they could run it like a mini series every 2 years and do like 10 episodes.

Alas, it's not like Freeman and Cumberbatch are men with a lot of spare time on their hands.

Randdalf

I liked this one a lot better than the first. It was genuinely funny and touching and it featured a good mystery.

But isn't it time for an actual mystery-driven episode? It's Sherlock Holmes ffs.

That was an actual mystery-driven episode it was just presented in an unusual context. As was the episode before.

AngryMoth

Well, unfortunately I have to say that was my least favourite Sherlock episode to date.

I enjoyed the fact the the first episode was more character focused given the circumstances but I was hoping this episode would get back to the crime solving which it didn't really until the last half hour. And in comparison to last week which felt very dense and crammed with good moments, at times this one felt very slow, the stag night scene in particular seemed to drag on too long. I think it was all the jumping around in time which made the episode feel like it wasn't going anywhere.

Didn't help that I guessed the photographer would be the murderer after about 10 minutes. I noticed when rewatching a study in pink this week how prominently taxis are featured in the beginning, which is what had made the killer pretty easy to guess on my first watch. With this in mind on picked up from the long shot in the underground last week that it was somehow going to be a key part of the episode so I was really kicking myself when the reveal came that I hand't figured out the spies message.

This week however the foreshadowing was not lost on me and I picked up almost instantly from intercutting of photos and focus on people having pictures taken that the photographer was going to bad guy. So basically I hope they are more subtle in future with their clues because their techniques have become predictable.

Blue Lou

Well, unfortunately I have to say that was my least favourite Sherlock episode to date.

Can't disagree, the 'mystery' was too easy this week.

I think they have one eye on fan-service and creating opportunities for memes.

The first two series were much better than what has been offered in the past week.

Whereas it's battling with A Scandal In Belgravia and The Reichenbach Fall at the top for me, on first viewing at least.

With that, I'm going to watch it again.

Jackpot

Banned
This would have been a nice change of pace if it weren't for the fact the last episode was thin on mystery and big on fanservice too. And with only 3 eps per season I'm not surprised some fans can't stand a single episode going off-piste.

Gambit

I just can't see how people can get mad over character development. Hell, I wish Doctor Who would take notes.

How about character development within an interesting story?

My problem with the episode also lies in some of that character development. Do Watson and Sherlock really have to continuously tell each other how much they love each other and that they're best friends?

It's very clear that they are, you don't have to say it. They're supposed to be British, for God's sake.

On a positive note, I looooooooooooooooved the cameo.

This series has been way too wacky for me. I was expecting a lot of drama and mystery instead I got an episode that wouldn't be out of place in The Simpsons

CrunchyB

This would have been a nice change of pace if it weren't for the fact the last episode was thin on mystery and big on fanservice too.

Exactly. There is nothing particularly wrong with the episode. If this had been next season's first episode, that would have been perfect.

Also, we only met John's girlfriend a couple of days ago!

Gambit

Exactly. There is nothing particularly wrong with the episode. If this had been next season's first episode, that would have been perfect.

Also, we only met John's girlfriend a couple of days ago!

Yes, I think it's moving too fast. I feel cheated out of the courting period. The wedding as next season's off-episode and I'd have been very happy with it.

A real mixed bag of an episode, some of the best character moments of the entire series but I was also bored in places and felt a step ahead of Sherlock way too many times. Next episode looks great though.

I would hope the show wouldn't be this predictable but it certainly feels like
Mary will be dead pretty soon. Or maybe a curveball and Molly.
Just a general feeling of impending doom lately.

I thought it was a fun episode and much better then the usual terrible middle episode. It did however sour me on the lack of a big mystery in the season premier. With that said I really liked the mystery in the episode and how it was executed, for me it wasn't as obvious (or at least as drawn out) as the one seen in A Study in Pink where Sherlock spent a hour and a half working out the obvious and wasn't awful like the mystery in The Hounds of Baskerville, so the episode ranks pretty highly for me.

Alienous

I thought the episode was good. It's awesome when you pick up on some of the things Sherlock does, and this episode certainly gives you the opportunity. Initially I thought it was 'ice knife seppuku', but then it became obvious that it had something to do with the
belts
(with the lingering shots on them), but I couldn't fathom what.

Good episode. Much hilarity.

I would hope the show wouldn't be this predictable but it certainly feels like
Mary will be dead pretty soon. Or maybe a curveball and Molly.
Just a general feeling of impending doom lately.

I'm going for a cold, decisive stomach punch from Charles Augustus Magnussen.

Jackpot

Banned
Best scene was the drunk interview.

"John, wake up! The game is... something."

Reminded me of Sir Digby Chicken Ceaser.

Zeppu

I think the main thing to take from this episode is the starting bit about the robbers who always get away.

Seems like a lead to the season's big bad, who seems to have access to all CCTV cameras or something. He seemed to know exactly where Sherlock was on the bike in the last episode.

Timbuktu

In the grand scheme of things, if this finishes in four seasons with 12 episodes, taking a couple of episodes at this point to have a different tone and build characters works pretty well IMO. I thought this was massively entertaining and what comes after would benefit from this as well. It's amazing how quickly they have fit in Mary and have them work as a trio.

Top Bottom