• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Loved it.

First fifteen minutes got off to a shaky start, but overall this episode really artfully balanced the comedy and character development and the mystery solving. It had some of the funniest material in the show's history, but also some of the most satisfying procedural deduction scenes. The way it was visualised was terrific. Actually the direction across the board was really good, a huge step up from the hysterics of last weak. Really liked the way Sherlock saw Mycroft as his mentor in the courtroom sequence.

Admittedly big cast get together weddings and drunken nights are cliche and fanfic-esque, but when Moffat and co pull it off so charmingly it's hard to complain. And the comic timing of Freeman and Cumberbatch is superb. Also love Mary, the character and the performance.

Can't wait for the season closer.

I like the episode especially how everything came together @ the end. I mean the characters r obvious.

Visited the thread earlier n people complaning about filler n how nothing happened yet. I know a show that in the first 5 mins something happened its called NCIS or u other cop show

glaurung

Very nice little episode.

Loved how the closing: Sherlock looking around the dance floor, realizing he is all alone and making his quiet exit. Been there, done that.

Very nice little episode.

Loved how the closing: Sherlock looking around the dance floor, realizing he is all alone and making his quiet exit. Been there, done that.
I get the feeling he was going to go for the maid of honor, but saw she was dancing with the guy he recommended and decided to leave then.

LordCanti

Finally got around to watching:

Loved it. From Sherlock and Mycroft's interactions to the countless tender (d'awww) moments between John and Sherlock to the
woman appearing in his mind
it was great.

I can't believe it's all over next Sunday.

About to watch the new episode :D

Try Mediahint. It's a free proxy/browser plug-in (not a VPN; VPN's are rarely free and if they are they're probably terrible) but it works just fine in tricking iPlayer into thinking you're British.

I loved it.

I freaking adored it.

Canon Sherlock was somewhat humanized by the fall, and I think that's the point they are making with with all the character development stuff.

Also, I've never had an OT3 before....I think I might now. Damn it.

I can't believe so many people disliked it :(

And also, yeah this episode was hilarious as hell but it had this horrible undercurrent of sadness. Poor Sherlock. I loved how subtle they did that throughout the whole episode until the end.

Ridli

Pre-screened guests, composed original song for the bride and groom, foiled a murder at the event - you really can't ask for more from a best man.

I feel like my heart's going to break next Sunday. Doesn't help that's written by Moffat. ;__;

It's been too much fun so far. Someone's gonna die. It's going to be horrible and then we'll have to wait two more years or three or whatever and I am not ready.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
I think it's obvious that after two fairly light hearted episodes, the third will go to a very dark place.

I really enjoyed this episode, although I can see why it infuriated people. With there only being three episodes, some are going to need their "major mystery" itch scratched. For me going on a Holmes & Watson adventure into the "strange new world" of married life, was plenty of fun.

It's been too much fun so far. Someone's gonna die. It's going to be horrible and then we'll have to wait two more years or three or whatever and I am not ready.

The most possible death that would probably kill me the most is Molly. Ugh, I can't even.

and regarding the trailer from episode 3:
Sounds like Magnussen has dirt on Mycroft even?! Mycroft says something like "If you go against Magnussen, you go against me.

dalin80

Banned
You really don't need this much blunt character development, especially after a character development episode and with two already well established main characters. Occasional funny moments were like chocolate chips, unfortunately chocolate chips in a shit pie.

Season so far-

ep1, good
ep2, shit pie (with occasional chocolate chip)

You really can't afford this many missteps in a season only 3 episodes long, it has already been mostly wasted.

I really can't believe so many people hated it.

And yeah, we need character development. Like I said above, the fall in canon humanized Sherlock, and they need to show that. They are doing a fantastic job.

Mariolee

Loved the episode. Absolutely loved it. And I can definitely relate to Sherlock feeling alone. :( I can't say I relate to his idea of God as such a ridiculous fantasy made only for the family idiot. Then again he is a bit of an asshole, so I guess it's just in his nature.

Also, regarding the horns, in the canon, Mary does
you know, die

FUCK WHY DID I READ THAT SPOILER

Altazor

I really really liked it. I had a blast most of the time, laughed out loud at various scenes and even teared up sometimes (mostly during Sherlock's speech).

I do understand, however, the critiques the episode is getting around here. I don't share them but I (think) I understand them - it can feel like a bit of a waste, considering the season's short and we've waited 2 years for this. And now the season's 2/3 done and it has been the most self-referential and meta- season so far.

I mean, the first episode was pretty much fanservice + meta-commentary about the Sherlock phenomenon, and this one was almost pure comedy (even sitcom-ish at times) with just a hint of a mystery throughout. So if you watch the series for the mysteries and a certain serious tone (like TGG or TRF, for example) I'm sure you'd be disappointed with this season so far. Thankfully, the next episode seems to "fix" that.

So... I hope the next one actually manages to bring together all these threads in a great manner. I trust Moffat and Gatiss can take this character development and all those emotional interactions and apply them in a "meaningful" mystery.

Also, regarding Mary and some of the things that happened during the episode:
I didn't pick the "CAM" telegram thingie up until it was pointed out in this thread. And her reaction to that telegram does seem very... strange. Also, someone said we learn she's an orphan later in the episode... I must've missed it because I cannot remember. Can you help me, guys?

So yeah, it was really fuckin' enjoyable for me, but I guess I understand if you hated it.

And yeah, we need character development. Like I said above, the fall in canon humanized Sherlock, and they need to show that. They are doing a fantastic job.

It is a bit surprising but I'll also admit that some things fell flat for me, particularly one of Molly's lines (which was supposedly one of the funniest) and that the stag do did drag on a bit more than I thought. I did like the bit with Mycroft (that was quite a development lol) and the Mind Palace Group Chat for that cameo lol as well other things in the episode as well.

Again, I appreciate all the development but it's not hard to see how some can be disappointed with all the development and lack of mystery.

Mariolee

Canon spoilers and speculation: After reading that spoiler from the canon about
how Mary dies
apparently, I'm going to predict that in the next episode
Moran will kill Mary due to some link in the past, made only more tragic by the fact she has a baby on the way.

Mark this post.

It is a bit surprising but I'll also admit that some things fell flat for me, particularly one of Molly's lines (which was supposedly one of the funniest) and that the stag do did drag on a bit more than I thought. I did like the bit with Mycroft (that was quite a development lol) and the Mind Palace Group Chat for that cameo lol as well other things in the episode as well.

Again, I appreciate all the development but it's not hard to see how some can be disappointed with all the development and lack of mystery.

I tend to be easily pleased, but it makes me sad so many people hate it :( It was wonderful in my opinion. Of course, I am sucker for character development...

Canon spoilers and speculation: After reading that spoiler from the canon about
how Mary dies
apparently, I'm going to predict that in the next episode
Moran will kill Mary due to some link in the past, made only more tragic by the fact she has a baby on the way.

Mark this post.

I am not going to call anything, because they have been known to turn things on their heads. I can't see how they CAN'T have
Mary die
but I am sure they will shock me with something
Molly dying. Or even freakin John (oh god please no I can't handle it)

Oh! I forgot to mention how pleased I was to see Donovan and how much more fleshed out she was in her brief cameo. *\o/*

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Loved it, all the character development and how we technically got 3 smaller mysteries that were linked together.

Also people saying that the show of affection and development is kinda not needed because these are established characters, seem to forget that Sherlock was "dead" for 2 years.

jeez, no one needed two comedic relief/fan wankery episodes in a row after 2 years waiting and then only one show left. I guess this was a little better through minor character study for Sherlock and a better alibi mystery, but even though it was entertaining, this shit is way too thin to carry 180 minutes. Even the drunk scene felt like forever (in a bad way).
Good thing it lasted less than 90 minutes then!

Flandy

tumblr_myy6zjtPug1qadggto1_500.jpg
How did I miss that? :lol
I hate doge
Some of you need to lighten up I feel. It was leaps and bounds above the Blind Banker and Baskervilles.
Blind Banker wasn't THAAT bad. I'll give you Baskervilles though.
Finally got around to watching:

Loved it. From Sherlock and Mycroft's interactions to the countless tender (d'awww) moments between John and Sherlock to the
woman appearing in his mind
it was great.

I can't believe it's all over next Sunday.

Try Mediahint. It's a free proxy/browser plug-in (not a VPN; VPN's are rarely free and if they are they're probably terrible) but it works just fine in tricking iPlayer into thinking you're British.
That's what I ended up using :lol Any idea how it does it? I can't seem to find any information on how it works.
Goddammit. I'm going to have to actually wait this time around.

The most possible death that would probably kill me the most is Molly. Ugh, I can't even.

and regarding the trailer from episode 3:
Sounds like Magnussen has dirt on Mycroft even?! Mycroft says something like "If you go against Magnussen, you go against me.
Noooooo! They better not kill Molly :mad:

Anyone know where I could find a good deal on the Blu-Rays over here in the US?

I was watching the first half thinking "What the fuck have they done?" as I thought it was trying too hard but luckily things picked up. I loved the stag night and drunk investigation scene but this is Sherlock, not some random comedy show so whilst I do expect a few jokes last night was pushing it.

There's only three episodes per series and the first two episodes have not been great.

MYE

First episode was meh and got me worried. This one though, LOVED it!!

edit:

Also, yes. Someone lovely is definitely bitting the dust

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, I caught on rewatch, where Sherlock asks Mary that she needs to work on her half of the church, it's a bit thin.

She reply's "Orphan's Lot. Friends, that's all I have. Lots of Friends"

Danj

I didn't hate it... particularly the bits with Sherlock drunk and the speech at the wedding were great. I just don't see how it fits in to anything. It feels like a filler episode, and in a show with seasons 3 episodes long that's a bad thing. I can only hope that the last episode ties everything up and the previous two episodes suddenly become massively important.

MYE

I don't see the issue of taking a break from plot arcs. This was about character development and injecting some happy, lighthearted, tender moments...
that will make whatever terrible event is coming 1000x more powerful.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
About the bar crawl/drunk bit. Am I to assume that this was Molly getting the amount they need to drink wrong (on purpose or not). Can't just be from John's single shot addition. Or just that they're both lightweights.

Top Bottom