• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Watched it at my friend's house but couldn't really hear about half the dialogue so a rewatch is inevitable.

Still, it was quite the different episode and I enjoyed it but at the same time, I don't know how I feel about it really.

Well, will have proper impressions later then.

Are the horns some sort of clue, or just coincidence?

tumblr_myyah4n43x1rfh5aho1_500.gif

I thought this scene would be more important. Going to spoil my thoughts in the unlikely case that something comes of them.

She seemed quite eager to get the two of them on an adventure together leaving her ample time to stick around the apartment and do 'stuff' there. I don't quite trust this woman.

This episode threatened to fall into the second episode curse, but landed on the good side of the line. And that title drop for this and the next episode, oh yes. Loved how they handled the parlor scene and the locked room mystery, two detective tropes that Sherlock hasn't quite tackled.

Series Three seems to be poking at the Guy Ritchie movies as well-- the first episode involved Parliament blowing up (2009) and the second has Watson's wedding (2011). This shouldn't follow for the third episode, naturally, unless the showrunners are privy to information we aren't. We'll know in due time! Also, the Madonna reference.

I thought this scene would be more important. Going to spoil my thoughts in the unlikely case that something comes of them.

She seemed quite eager to get the two of them on an adventure together leaving her ample time to stick around the apartment and do 'stuff' there. I don't quite trust this woman.

I read it as Sherlock and John wanting the same thing of the other but did not quite know how to bring up the subject because they were planning a wedding, and Mary facilitating.

Also, regarding the horns, in the canon, Mary does
you know, die

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Watson did to Sherlock what some date rapists do to women's drinks, if you think about it haha.

Really enjoyed this episode, especially the drunk scene. Though it felt thoroughly weird how human Sherlock was throughout. Something that will be changing, I suspect...

Also, I've said it a few times but Cumberbatch is a phenomenal physical actor. He should do more comedy (his part in Nathan Barley doesn't count).

that was the most sappy, self congratulatory, masturbatory, poorly structured, all round shitty episode of television I've seen since since...oh, since last episode.

fuck me, this series is really dying on its arse. The first two seasons were excellent but this pandering to the internet fanboys is really pissing away everything good about the series.

I wanted to love it, I wanted it to be good, but the show's lost its connection to the source material. It used to feel like a genuinely modernised version of Sherlock Holmes, now it feels like just another badly directed, self-important bbc drama. The loss of Paul McGuigan seems to have decimated the quality of the show.

edit: although still 10x better than Baskervilles

Zomba13

I don't trust her either. I think because when Sherlock revealed himself to be alive she seemed super interested in him and I think she should have been more mad at him for making John miserable by faking his death and then just turning up out of no where without a real apology.

Plus the whole thing with playing them both into wanting a case for the others sake.

KingKong

that was the most sappy, self congratulatory, masturbatory, poorly structured, all round shitty episode of television I've seen since since...oh, since last episode.

fuck me, this series is really dying on its arse. The first two seasons were excellent but this pandering to the internet fanboys is really pissing away everything good about the series.

I wanted to love it, I wanted it to be good, but the show's lost its connection to the source material. It used to feel like a genuinely modernised version of Sherlock Holmes, now it feels like just another badly directed, self-important bbc drama. The loss of Paul McGuigan seems to have decimated the quality of the show.

edit: although still 10x better than Baskervilles

Seriously, the show is absolutely in love with itself and its idea of Sherlock

Slowdive

Banned
I really liked it, the stag do dragged on a bit though. I didn't notice it myself but did anyone spot
the telegram from CAM? (Presumably Charles Augustus Magnussen)

Showaddy

I really liked it, the stag do dragged on a bit though. I didn't notice it myself but did anyone spot
the telegram from CAM? (Presumably Charles Augustus Magnussen)

Yeah holy crap at that part, especially how it mentions her family. Completely missed it at first though.

Can't be anyone else but Magnusson and the fact that she looked shocked when his initials came out kinda convinces me she's into something dodgy.

Yeah holy crap at that part, especially how it mentions her family. Completely missed it at first though.

Can't be anyone else but Magnusson and the fact that she looked shocked when his initials came out kinda convinces me she's into something dodgy.

Missed it. Was it
one of the ones Sherlock read out loud?

edit: Gonna spoiler my thoughts on where the season's going just in case:

I think there IS a season long arc, and the arc is simply Mary. How important she is to John and thus, Sherlock. I'm sure she's involved with Magnusson or he has something serious on her and her family. And now, with the "sign of three"it makes the sense of impending doom even stronger.

Incredibly enjoyable TV as per usual, but it does feel as though this show is getting incredibly masturbatory. Would be a lie if I said I wasn't enjoying it, though.

Shinypogs

I really really hate Mary, she's just a little too perfect in many ways for me. Her actress, based on what I looked up, seems like a genuinely cool person though so I feel kinda bad :(

Overall the episode was kinda meh but it did have some standout moments. I actually liked the little kid in this episode although I think Molly and Mycroft were probably my fav side chars this time around.

I think the thing I disliked the most was
Sally still working with Lestrade. She is clearly mentally stronger than Anderson since she didn't quit out of guilt. Still, she was always more vocal about hating Sherlock and clearly still dislikes him. If nothing else saying she was transferred would have made sense since she technically never did anything worth being fired over. Why keep her in a unit under a commander who likely regularly works with sherlock once he's come back?

I think the thing I disliked the most was
Sally still working with Lestrade. She is clearly mentally stronger than Anderson since she didn't quit out of guilt. Still, she was always more vocal about hating Sherlock and clearly still dislikes him. If nothing else saying she was transferred would have made sense since she technically never did anything worth being fired over. Why keep her in a unit under a commander who likely regularly works with sherlock once he's come back?

Because
the met doesn't change its officer commissions and stationing based on external factors? If anything Lestrade shouldn't be speaking to Sherlock at all, so why would they react to it in any way? Probably just best to turn a blind eye.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Was expecting to dislike it based on comments here but I loved the episode. The way they wound the cases together with the wedding and the speech was great.

I will say that Lestrade's kicking of his car's tire was one of the most unintentionally funny things in the episode, mostly do to having felt like that many times.

Feran

Finally got around to watching it and while it was enjoyable I did get lost a bit. @__@ I'm glad they wrapped it all together at the end for the most part! Loved the cameo.

I was really hoping for
Moran

I feel like
Tom
might be related to that? Maybe.

Oh dear and Episode 3 is 'His Last Vow'.

Sherlock's 1st & Last vow at the wedding...

Yeeeeup. :(

My prediction for Ep 3 (based sort of on the books, but making an educated guess):
Mary kills Magnusson, Sherlock intentionally takes the fall for it.

Another sad moment at the wedding:
Sherlock starting to come out of his shell, looks for Janine, finds her with that dork, and he gives up and leaves.

Such a shame.

jeez, no one needed two comedic relief/fan wankery episodes in a row after 2 years waiting and then only one show left. I guess this was a little better through minor character study for Sherlock and a better alibi mystery, but even though it was entertaining, this shit is way too thin to carry 180 minutes. Even the drunk scene felt like forever (in a bad way).
Also funny how the apologists call it ,,chara development eps'' as if others didnt have that. The pilot or the Woman were not only more significant in that aspect, but they also blended it in with the funny stuff, thought out mysteries etc. instead of focusing on one of them alone.

Was hoping the wife had something to do with the murder for an ep waste redemption, but na :|

Another great episode, loved the structure and mystery and how it all came together. I'm reading people's comments here with some confusion. If you want a straightforward mystery series go watch Midsomer Murders. This is some damn fine, intelligent, British television and people are jizzing all over it. I can't think of another show with so much going for it, such an amazing cast and stylish production. What really grinds my nut is people are ripping into this while Doctor Who get all the apologist bullshit.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Drunken deductions were amazing.

I have a feeling next episode will set up the next big bad for series 4.
cumberbatch and freeman are signed on until series 4 ends. Beyond that is unknown. I imagine it might be the last.

fireside

Could someone explain what they mean by these two episodes being fan service/fan fiction/masturbatory? I honestly have no idea what that means.

Top Bottom