• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

vgJames

Banned
Oh my word. Everything within me wants him to be back.. but is it just a cop-out and his network using his name as shock-factor?

That episode:

tumblr_m9it19xVAg1qizcug.gif

Best episode of this series by far and one of the best in general. Really excellent. Felt it was probably a little bit predictable, but... that doesn't matter. When they let the characters breathe in this show, it really soars.

Leeness

I haven't seen it yet, and obviously I can tell what the cliffhanger was...lol

But tell me before I can get the episode, who dies?? I need to steel myself :(

Marc

Amazing, guessed the main plots twist but didn't matter as it was done so well. Best villain on the show yet, although at the end it was incredibly stupid to admit he had no redundancy.

As for M, I loved the writing for him but I really can't stand the actor... one of the worst performers I have ever had the displeasure of watching. Stands out like a sore thumb in the cast, even the IT crowd girl stood over him. So on one hand, great, on the otherhand I would have preferred moving on. Should be interesting to see how he blew his brains out right in front of Sherlock, unless he had a brother... maybe the writers have been reading up on magic tricks. Also very odd that if it is actually M, he decided to sit out on Sherlock's resurrection.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
My guesses;

- The Moriarty network
- "Prof. Moriarty" = his dad that a few people have said

Ahhh why the hell come in here :| And
nobody you'll miss, you spoiler hound

I could believe it was someone using his name and image just to get at Sherlock and fuck with him. I do want him to be back though, I thought he was excellent.

I could believe it was someone using his name and image just to get at Sherlock and fuck with him. I do want him to be back though, I thought he was excellent.

Yeah that and the retroactive plot of Reichenbach Fall makes him look like a total idiot :\ Want actual dangerous Moriarty.

Fully expected John to snap Magnussen's neck though, that guy was a class A cunt.

RedShift

Definitely the best episode yet. Rupert Murdoch with a pair of Google Glass (well okay not in the end) was a great villain.

Not sure about Moriarty coming back. I feel like he couldn't have fooled Sherlock at that close range. Maybe it's just someone else using his name.

CAM was such a great villian, was praying it would be him at the end reveal. :(

Great episode though, surprised (and slightly dissapointed) that Mary survived.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Episode was a little bit predictable. Called the glasses weren't a device straight away, called the vaults weren't real as soon as they mentioned them, and knew he'd get killed as soon as Sherlock and Watson turned up at his house - only mistake was I thought Watson would be the one to kill him, and I hold that would have made for a more exciting and interesting narrative anyway.

Danielsan

I loved all the little hints and touches regarding
Mary.......
sprinkled throughout the first two episodes. Excellent stuff and I think this episode was all the more reason for episode two haters to stop whining.

AngryMoth

Yeah, I think having it not really be him is probably the smarter choice since I don't know if they could bring him back without it feeling like a retcon, but at the same time I did really like that actors portrayal of him so I feel conflicted.

Holy shit though, what an episode. My one complaint is that I wish they would stop using the phrase 'mind palace'.

Have given any indication of how long until next season? I would love be next year but I can see it being another long wait

Great episode though, surprised (and slightly dissapointed) that Mary survived.

To be honest, Moffatt could stop stamping on Watson's figurative balls and let him have a win in a series cliffhanger :p Held at gunpoint by a criminal mastermind, having (not really) lost his best friend for two years and then also his wife & unborn child? Ouch.

Yeah, I think having it not really be him is probably the smarter choice since I don't know if they could bring him back without it feeling like a retcon, but at the same time I did really like that actors portrayal of him so I feel conflicted.

Holy shit though, what an episode.

Have given any indication of how long until next season? I would love be next but I can see it being another long wait

I think Moriarty is just smart enough to have predicted his death and left behind videotapes/willing accomplices to carry out a post-mortem attack on Sherlock. From beyond the graaaave! That way we could have Andrew Scott back and it wouldn't feel too cheap.

Well... we've had a waiting period of one and a half years, then two years, I'm not holding out hope :(

Gambit

I think I like Mary even more now.

does that mean I share Watson's interest in psychopaths?

Also, I am very much hoping Moriarty is not actually back. It would feel like a retcon. Give me Prof. Moriarty instead

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
what I liked, was Mag's "written information on the glasses" and it's twist that connects to how Sherlock operates.

First you think it's the glasses, then I personally thought he might have contacts instead. It was only when he mentioned Mind Palace, that all that time, the words on the screen were the exact same as the words on the screen whenever Sherlock is thinking about "stuff."

Spaghetti

Did you see the scene after the credits?
i did, but it'd be a little bit of a stretch considering
moriarty blew his brains out right next to sherlock and even if the audience didn't see the gruesome state of the body, sherlock as a character most likely did

i'll wait and see. i think it's a bit of a red herring right now

Jackpot

Banned
Bah. It was obvious there was no real vault. Due to Mycroft's phrasing of "step away from that man" I felt sure that it was a big ploy by Sherlock to confirm there were no hard copies of any blackmail and thus give Mycroft reason to shoot Magnusson for "national security".

Turns out I was wrong and Sherlock really is just that dumb.

I think we can pretty much accept as long as the series runs we'll have a punch-in-the-nuts cliffhanger at the end.

My question is, when they're done with Moriarty, will Sherlock just be let go? Like "Ah, as a reward, you're off the hook!" Or will there be a series arc of Moriarty's plots? And, so begins the two years of endless questions. Kill me now.

Timbuktu

Episode was a little bit predictable. Called the glasses weren't a device straight away, called the vaults weren't real as soon as they mentioned them, and knew he'd get killed as soon as Sherlock and Watson turned up at his house - only mistake was I thought Watson would be the one to kill him, and I hold that would have made for a more exciting and interesting narrative anyway.

I think a lot of us did see things coming when it comes to the plot, but it did surprise me somewhat with the pacing of the reveals. There was a good rhythm to it and they walked that tightrope when it comes to tone perfectly.

It was darker than the first two episodes, the villain more sinister and the consequences more serious, but it still kept a brisk pace with plenty of humour without disrupting the tension when that is needed.

It was the best episode of the series for me.

Mrs Hudson's pressure point being
marijuana
was a bit strange though!

She's made references to it before "Time for your herbal soother, Mrs Hudson"

And I never thought the glasses were a device, way too sci-fi. Just thought he was clever.

Gambit

Not that it matters much, because the episode was very good, but I do think I'd rate it below Reichenbach and (my personal favourite) Scandal.

Top Bottom