• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think a lot of us did see things coming when it comes to the plot, but it did surprise me somewhat with the pacing of the reveals. There was a good rhythm to it and they walked that tightrope when it comes to tone perfectly.

It was darker than the first two episodes, the villain more sinister and the consequences more serious, but it still kept a brisk pace with plenty of humour without disrupting the tension when that is needed.

Yeah, I liked overall; was just commenting more specifically on a few issues. I'm not one of the people who really disliked the last episode, so perhaps this didn't really give me the 'allelujah' feeling it has for some others - I still thought it was a very strong episode, though. One of the things I really appreciated I don't think anyone has mentioned is the cinematography. There were some absolutely gorgeous shots and usage of framing in that episode. In particular, Sherlock and Mind Moriarty in the centre of the palace was superb - my cap is raised to the director.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
...why would Mycroft have died? What on earth pointed at that?

Weakest episode this series.

Truly a mixed bag. When it the started it felt like I was watching Torchwood, the writing was so bad. Picked up and found some footing. But it should have ended after
he shot him, I'd rather a cliffhanger than a near comical return to the status quo. (Here we go again, eye roll.) He just shot a guy, let's have some consequences

Moffat's writing is by far the least subtle this time around. Definitely the weakest link this series.

FryHole

Well, having watched the episode and then gone hunting for that Guardian spoiler article, all I'll say is -
what a bunch of pricks

Shinypogs

I accidentally slept through it :(
Spoilers seem to indicate it was mostly decent though, so once I find it I shall settle in with some snacks and enjoy. I'm kinda looking forward to a bit of a break now though, where everyone sits back and starts to analyze the whole season until a new crop of crazy conspiracies popup.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
LISTS.

The Reichenbach Fall
The Great Game
His Last Vow
A Study in Pink
The Hounds of Baskerville
Adventure of the Empty House
The Blind Banker
A Scandal In Belgravia
The Sign of Three

Weakest ep of the series, but as usual, it was still very enjoyable.

One thing did stick out to me though, and I don't know enough about Sherlock lore to know if it's just a cheeky reference to something, or a hint for the future or something that's just completely over my head:
When Mycroft was stood by the window fighting Sherlock's case at the end, he said something about not being one for expressions of brotherly love, followed by "...you know what happened to the other one."

After the ending reveal, I figured this might tie into it (Moriarty has a brother?), but given that Mycroft was so taken aback by it, I guess not.

Any ideas?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Weakest episode this series.

Truly a mixed bag. When it the started it felt like I was watching Torchwood, the writing was so bad. Picked up and found some footing. But it should have ended after
he shot him, I'd rather a cliffhanger than a near comical return to the status quo. (Here we go again, eye roll.) He just shot a guy, let's have some consequences

Moffat's writing is by far the least subtle this time around. Definitely the weakest link this series.

Why would there be consequences? If anything, I thought this was the worst part. The only people who saw Sherlock kill Magnusson were Sherlock himself, Watson, Mycroft, and Mycroft's miraculous men. Presuming that Mycroft is in control of Mycroft's miraculous men, then not one of those people has any incentive to tell the truth about what happened to Magnusson. Mycroft just has to have his miraculous men obfuscate the evidence, and fed the press some tattle about Magnusson dying from a stroke, most unfortunate, etc. There was no need to disappear Sherlock because there were no witnesses to make it necessary.

Enco

:lol at killing Mycroft.

Would be a completely pointless act. Just for the shock value and going with the new trend of killing characters (AGoT, TWD etc),

tumblr_mq8rt9dGJs1qlhhx4o1_250.gif
tumblr_mq8rt9dGJs1qlhhx4o2_250.gif

tumblr_mq8rt9dGJs1qlhhx4o3_250.gif
tumblr_mq8rt9dGJs1qlhhx4o4_250.gif

tumblr_mq8rt9dGJs1qlhhx4o5_250.gif
tumblr_mq8rt9dGJs1qlhhx4o6_250.gif

I think it's likely it was just some plan left behind (though why it would take so long to implement, I don't know) or it's some relative of Moriarty.

JonnyBrad

Weakest ep of the series, but as usual, it was still very enjoyable.

One thing did stick out to me though, and I don't know enough about Sherlock lore to know if it's just a cheeky reference to something, or a hint for the future or something that's just completely over my head:
When Mycroft was stood by the window fighting Sherlock's case at the end, he said something about not being one for expressions of brotherly love, followed by "...you know what happened to the other one."

After the ending reveal, I figured this might tie into it (Moriarty has a brother?), but given that Mycroft was so taken aback by it, I guess not.

Any ideas?

More likely a sly reference to
Sherrinford
have a Google.

MrChom

Surprised by all the positive comments....the last....half an hour? Just seemed to stretch on into infinity for me...
The second Sherlock checked John had a gun it was all "Okay, he's clearly going to shoot him, let's just see how long we have to go through villain of the week monologuing before that happens" and then it just went on and on and on and on and on and oh good he has a mind palace and on and on and on....

And for the love of god, someone PLEASE ban Gatiss from appearing. He just can't resist some delicious ham for himself every bloody time and I can't stand it.

Positive highlights for me are listed thus: Martin Freeman, his performance was brilliant, and that cannot be stated enough.

Hindle

Banned
Is
he really back? Or just orchestrating events from beyond the grave.

I'm thinking he's back, but Moffat will have us believe it's someone else pulling the strings

As for how, it's plausible one of his agents was disguised as him on the roof, wearing one hell of a mask lol.

Edit. It's just as likely he's dead lol.

I'm not sure how I feel about the end of that episode, with Sherlock essentially being outwitted by CAM and having to resort to shooting him in the head to solve the problem. It's not really in line with what we expect from the character..... :-/

Oh well, hopefully it won't be two years of waiting for the next episodes, be interesting to see how the Moriarty thing plays out.... Maybe he'll have an older, smarter brother too!

Timbuktu

I'm not sure how I feel about the end of that episode, with Sherlock essentially being outwitted by CAM and having to resort to shooting him in the head to solve the problem. It's not really in line with what we expect from the character..... :-/

I felt he always planned to shoot him. He talked to Mycroft before to gage what the consequences might be; he made sure Watson brought a gun; he probably knew from that it was all in CAM's head when he figured the glasses thing... He just waited until others arrived so that they see it wasn't Watson who kdid the shooting.

RedShift

Oh well, hopefully it won't be two years of waiting for the next episodes, be interesting to see how the Moriarty thing plays out.... Maybe he'll have an older, smart brother too!

I'm still holding out for a father, Professor Moriarty.

I enjoyed this series a lot. Even if it was a perhaps a bit self indulgent (I kind of have a love hate relationship with that aspect of Moffat & Co's writing though).

I think people would be happier across the board if the series had more episodes. These 3 could have easily been padded out with another 2-3, solid "solve the mystery" style episodes and then everyone and their mum might be on the same page.

I felt he always planned to shoot him. He talked to Mycroft before to gage what the consequences might be; he made sure Watson brought a gun; he probably knew from that it was all in CAM's head when he figured the glasses thing... He just waited until others arrived so that they see it wasn't Watson who kdid the shooting.

Yeah, that's the one thing that sticks out as well, and given that nothing happens by accident in Sherlock-world, I wouldn't be surprised if it all forms part of a bigger conspotacy/plot leading into s4. Moffat gotta Moffat.

Marc

Surprised by all the positive comments....the last....half an hour? Just seemed to stretch on into infinity for me...
The second Sherlock checked John had a gun it was all "Okay, he's clearly going to shoot him, let's just see how long we have to go through villain of the week monologuing before that happens" and then it just went on and on and on and on and on and oh good he has a mind palace and on and on and on....

And for the love of god, someone PLEASE ban Gatiss from appearing. He just can't resist some delicious ham for himself every bloody time and I can't stand it.

Positive highlights for me are listed thus: Martin Freeman, his performance was brilliant, and that cannot be stated enough.

I have to admit, when they said that I thought 'well obvious what is going to happen here' but then countered that by remembering Watson was patted down earlier. They found a knife and tire iron on him, yet this time decided not to bother checking. Bit odd to stick that pat down in the episode if you are then going to overlook it later. Makes me double-guess myself a bit in that maybe he wanted that to happen. No way they would bring back a third character.. but then I thought that about M. Who knows, the writers seem either incredibly smart or incredibly stupid at times. Would be nice to know who wrote what to see if there is a pattern.

I'm thinking he's back, but Moffat will have us believe it's someone else pulling the strings

As for how, it's plausible one of his agents was disguised as him on the roof, wearing one hell of a mask lol.

Edit. It's just as likely he's dead lol.

That would be a hard sell. Are we supposed to believe
a hired goon would be willing to kill himself?

Top Bottom