• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I actually sort of do hope it's actually Moriarty for real because in retrospect, how he died in Reichenbach is disappointing is fuck. Being foiled by Moriarty's miraculous men was not a fitting ending.

I actually sort of do hope it's actually Moriarty for real because in retrospect, how he died in Reichenbach is disappointing is fuck. Being foiled by Moriarty's miraculous men was not a fitting ending.

Well the fact Holmes knew what was going on the entire time (apart from Moriarty's suicide gambit) was disappointing, but hey.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well the fact Holmes knew what was going on the entire time (apart from Moriarty's suicide gambit) was disappointing, but hey.

Also, it just doesn't fit Moriarty's character. He's not just going to assume he's won; he doesn't leave things to chance. I can buy him committing suicide at how boring everything is, but only after he's truly sure he's won. Him blowing his head off when he did, only for him not have won either (and for what was a rather poor explanation), just feels a bit unfair to the character.

Taruranto

Finished the second episode.

The show is certainly different, but I dunno why people say they are pandering to the tumblr/shipping/etc crowd. I think it's just a phase the show has to go with, with Watson getting married in the books and all.

Also I was expecting a bomb to go off at the end of the second episode as Sherlock walked away lol.

Alienous

I took the (His Last Vow spoilers)
Magnusson mind palace thing
to suggest that Moriarty trained some meaty adversaries for Sherlock before he died. And the ending to suggest
that he had plans prior to his death for Sherlock

siddhu33

I would assume it's a Sebastian Moran type character in season 4, who's the last chain in Moriarty's network. He's just using the name of Moriarty to cause panic. That would make much better sense than bringing him back to life.

I love all the book references in the show, it's a real treat when you see them.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Bd0ZsK3IIAESFjL.jpg

According to the Sherlock Holmes Wiki, Moriarty is believed to be of similar or greater intellect than that of Sherlock. If Moriarty is more intelligent than Sherlock, it's very possible that he successfully tricked him into thinking he died.

KingKong

Thought the middle kind of floundered,
felt like they had no idea how to deal with Mary being a kickass spy so they just... ignored it? like she just went back to being how she usually is
but the ending was great

Because I'm a spoiler hound. :p

Mary made it? People were worried for Mycroft, he made it?

Haha, reading back through the impressions after watching the show. Dunno if you already saw it, but:

Nah, nothing to worry about.

Anyhow, pretty great episode. The build-up from the previous episodes also feels a bit more justified but I wished they would have used more of the season to build the villain up. Also there never really was any mystery, which was a bit of a bummer and many things did feel a bit predictable.

ezekial45

Banned
What a fucking amazing episode. I was a little ho-hum about the mind-palace during the last two series, but
the sequences during the scene where he gets shot was brilliant.

Blackhead

Redarse
Spoilers:

I call dibs on the obvious conspiracy theory that Moriaty is really dead and Sherlock is actually behind the conveniently timed video stunt which saved himself from embarking on a deadly assignment. (Sherlock did infiltrate Moriaty's network afterall and we've already seen Sherlock pull off a similar stunt sending a mass message to cellphones)

I loved this episode up until the very end.

Sherlock getting in trouble for murdering a ridiculously evil man seems stupid (would he have gotten in trouble for murdering Moriarity too?), as well as just generally anticlimactic.

mclem

So:

Series 1, Series 3.

In which series did Moriarty have the most screentime?

I'm trying to puzzle it through. On the one hand, he's dead in this one, so you'd expect it to be lower, but on the other, he only really appeared in one short and one long scene in the final episode of S1, but appeared in a number of brief scenes (in the first episode) and one long scene (in the last) in S3.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Sherlock getting in trouble for murdering a ridiculously evil man seems stupid (would he have gotten in trouble for murdering Moriarity too?), as well as just generally anticlimactic.

If someone shot Rupert Murdoch (if only, am I right?) then he would be hounded in the press and face a high profile criminal case. It does seem slightly off that they would set up such a climax and then immediately reverse it. Especially having only just come back from the dead AND in the very same episode, been on the brink of death. They pushed the peril too far.

Magnusson was fantastic though. What a horrible thing.

Permanently A

Pretty crazy episode, I really loved Sherlock's mind palace
right after Mary shot him

The one thing I don't understand is why Mycroft was protecting CAM. And why did the same people who were trying to indict CAM for blackmail give a shit that Sherlock
killed him
?

Vesmir

Banned
So:

Series 1, Series 3.

In which series did Moriarty have the most screentime?

I'm trying to puzzle it through. On the one hand, he's dead in this one, so you'd expect it to be lower, but on the other, he only really appeared in one short and one long scene in the final episode of S1, but appeared in a number of brief scenes (in the first episode) and one long scene (in the last) in S3.

3, easy

What a fucking amazing episode. I was a little ho-hum about the mind-palace during the last two series, but
the sequences during the scene where he gets shot was brilliant.

I thought the gunshot sequence went on far too long. Took me out of the episode for a while.

Also, you don't need to spoiler tag once the episode has aired.

On a whole, I thought the episode was good but lost its way somewhere in the middle. Loved the ending though.

That little tie in with the James Bond universe was hilarious.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Pretty crazy episode, I really loved Sherlock's mind palace
right after Mary shot him

The one thing I don't understand is why Mycroft was protecting CAM. And why did the same people who were trying to indict CAM for blackmail give a shit that Sherlock
killed him
?

CAM had info on Mycroft and sometimes helped the government out. He was useful.

They gave a shit because he was a big public figure and in Britain we have a legal system where you aren't supposed to be able to kill people without facing criminal charges. The implication was that those figures wanted to not punish Sherlock but were trying to find a way of getting him out of the way.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I thought the gunshot sequence went on far too long. Took me out of the episode for a while.

Also, you don't need to spoiler tag once the episode has aired.

On a whole, I thought the episode was good but lost its way somewhere in the middle. Loved the ending though.

That little tie in with the James Bond universe was hilarious.

what bit was this?

Permanently A

CAM had info on Mycroft and sometimes helped the government out. He was useful.

They gave a shit because he was a big public figure and in Britain we have a legal system where you aren't supposed to be able to kill people without facing criminal charges. The implication was that those figures wanted to not punish Sherlock but were trying to find a way of getting him out of the way.

Oh man, I misheard Sherlock's "who knows" as "the noose." lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That was bloody amazing. I don't think I've seen better TV programming ever. I hope Moriarty isn't alive, he sure as heck wouldn't have sat around those 2 years doing nothing but planning his return.

Sheroking

If I walked up to Ted Bundy or some killer on the street and shot him in the face, I would be charged with murder. Maybe I wouldn't have gone to prison for the rest of my life, but you can't go around killing people because they're evil.

That was bloody amazing. I don't think I've seen better TV programming ever. I hope Moriarty isn't alive, he sure as heck wouldn't have sat around those 2 years doing nothing but planning his return.

Why wouldn't he?

vgJames

Banned
If I walked up to Ted Bundy or some killer on the street and shot him in the face, I would be charged with murder. Maybe I wouldn't have gone to prison for the rest of my life, but you can't go around killing people because they're evil.

Exactly. He basically shot Rupert Murdoch in the face in front of a Governmental and police audience. It may delight some people, morbidly, but it's still murder.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how much they deal with the fallout of the murder next season or if they just kind of brush it under the rug.

Batigol

Banned
The weakest season so far :(

Still an all right episode I guess.

The show to get back to the style of season 1 though. It's changed too much and the humanizing of Sherlock is ridiculous

Flandy

BBC iPlayer keeps randomly ending the stream >:l
I've only gotten around 8 minutes into the episode because the player randomly cuts off asks me if I want to watch it again :l

Top Bottom