• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

I guess this puts me in the minority, but I went crazy for the Moriarty reveal. I absolutely loved Andrew Scott's performance and I'm confident if they bring him back it'll have purpose to it and be fresh. I could be wrong, but that's more a vote of confidence in Andrew's skills than the writers.

I personally love this series version of Moriarty specifically because he's a crazy fuck, we have seen so many shows with so many super serious villains done before that they absolute randomness of this guy is what made him interesting.

I for one welcome his return or someone impersonating him or something.

dLMN8R

I really loved this episode and can't wait for Moriarty to come back, but I hope he's back in more of a capacity than Jigsaw from those Saw movies where he somehow planned everything ahead of time to execute perfectly even though he's actually genuinely dead.

ganon

The fact that Sherlock resorted to just shooting him the head kind of sucks though. There wasn't much of a mystery as someone else mentioned. Just plot unfolding, and Sherlock shooting his way out after being cornered.

And the fact Sherlock gets away with it sucks too. No real consequences.

aceface

After the real credits there was a commercial for what looked like some sword and swashbuckling show with Moriarty saying "miss me" over it...can anyone else confirm seeing this, and was what they showed a BBC show I'm not aware of?

I like Andrew Scott. There is something so earnest and sincere about him, that he comes across as likable to me even when he's being an obnoxious, evil cartoon.

Konka

Banned
After the real credits there was a commercial for what looked like some sword and swashbuckling show with Moriarty saying "miss me" over it...can anyone else confirm seeing this, and was what they showed a BBC show I'm not aware of?

I saw it.

hom3land

Help me out here, there was a quick line from Mycroft that I missed and it felt could be really important. Right when they were discussing how Sherlock would
serve his sentence, the secret service guy accuses him of protecting Sherlock because he's his brother. Mycroft immediately dismisses him and says something like"you know what happened with the other one."
Who the hell is he talking about? Did they have a
third brother? Was he referring to Moriarty?
I don't get it and it's driving me crazy.

Lost on that one too. How someone has insight.

Lost on that one too. How someone has insight.

Obviously it is Sigerson Holmes.

Adventure_of_sherlock_holmes_smarter_brother_xlg_movie_poster.jpg

aceface

I guess what I saw was a trailer for the Musketeers with Moriarty saying "miss me" over it. Strange.

Edit: yeah what he said ^

Well, that explains why the actor that played Magnussen was so awesome. He is Mads Mikkelsen's older brother.

I guess being awesome runs in the family.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I personally love this series version of Moriarty specifically because he's a crazy fuck, we have seen so many shows with so many super serious villains done before that they absolute randomness of this guy is what made him interesting.

I for one welcome his return or someone impersonating him or something.

Glad I'm not the only one as well, though I don't want him to return again his death was perfect.

Daft_Cat

I guess this puts me in the minority, but I went crazy for the Moriarty reveal. I absolutely loved Andrew Scott's performance and I'm confident if they bring him back it'll have purpose to it and be fresh. I could be wrong, but that's more a vote of confidence in Andrew's skills than the writers.

You're not in the minority. This series' version of Moriarty is hugely popular.

It's just that vocal minorities tend to be pretty loud.

dalin80

Banned
Well... that was... meh.

Ep1- Fun, good character work weak mystery
Ep2- Disjointed to the point of inducing travel sickness, weak mystery
Ep3- Apparently everyone in the SH universe is ranked in DragonBall Z style power levels for intelligence, Krillin had to endure a lot of crap this ep including betrayal from android 18. Goku decided to say sod it and
cap freezer, because you know actions that stay true to the character are for boring people

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I love Moriaty and love to see him return for season 4. However, I feel CAM is too short-lived as a villain. I would have been fine with him being a real villain for the whole of season 4 and have the surprise Moriaty ending at season 4 instead. CAM seems like an intelligent bad dude and just gets off-ed by Sherlock like that ? I was also hoping for more thing to happen with Mary being a super assassin... can't just have it end like that, right ?

Imm0rt4l

Magnussen remarked that Janine managed to keep her eye open while he flicked her, so is this implying that he put pressure on her at some point? Might we see more of her in a later series?

Feran

Pretty good ep, wish we could have seen more of CAM though. Really creepy dude. I do agree the ending was a bit of a let down, where they were building all this up and then it just gets waved away. Reminded me of Korra S1 finale haha.

I made a bit of fanart again here!

The fact that Sherlock resorted to just shooting him the head kind of sucks though. There wasn't much of a mystery as someone else mentioned. Just plot unfolding, and Sherlock shooting his way out after being cornered.

The way I take it, Sherlock had an inkling that CAM's archive was all in his head, which is why he asked John to bring his gun - CAM being a danger to the whole world as long as he is alive. Sherlock's speechlessness after the reveal of CAM's "archive" was him coming to terms with the reality of his decision to kill CAM.

Daft_Cat

I don't think there's anyway CAM is gone from the show.

Even if he's dead, which he probably is
(they have to be careful they don't reduce the show's concept of death to comic book levels)
, there's no way his battle with Sherlock and Moriarty's return are isolated incidents. They'll be connected in one way or another.

That said, I'm not that confident that Jim is actually alive. Could be a post-death troll. One last trick, or something.

Not sure if Moffatt and Gatiss would troll their audience like that, but who knows.

Season 4 Episode 1 definitely has some heavy lifting to do.

Prompto

Banned
While I'm disappointed we won't be getting more CAM since he was awesome, I loved Moriarty so I'm excited we might be seeing more of him.

Joni

I love Moriarty's return. During the entire episode I was thinking how Magnussen just doesn't live up to Moriarty; and nobody else in Sherlock's repertoire is as good.

The one thing that strikes me as so out of character about Moriarty's return is his announcing it on every screen in the UK. Then again with the press disproving his Richard Brook alter-ego, the whole consulting criminal thing is pretty much up in smoke.

Mariolee

I was onboard for the entire episode, but the fake-out at the end left me less excited than I thought I would be. I was really glad Moffatissthompson had the balls to kill off Moriarty the way they did, and I'd hate to see them double back on that.

I'm guessing like many others have stated that this isn't really Moriarty but merely someone who is using his image to get his way or whatever.

They can't keep bringing characters back from the dead or else no one's death will be taken seriously c'mon! :p

Still enjoyed it thoroughly. The Sign of Three will be the best of the series for me however.

Also, has anyone talked about how smoking hot Janine is?

Oh man, that was great. I'm sad now that we get no more episodes for a very long time.

- I was surprised that
they didn't bump off Mary, but I'm happy because she's awesome.

- The part where Sherlock is working out how to keep himself from dying and bringing Molly/Mycroft/Moriarty into it was really cool. Redbeard was an adorable dog.

- Was kinda laughing at the trolololo at the end, like they were doing another big cliffhanger and then "nope".

- Janine was really hot, I agree.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Moriarty grew on me. I was pumped about the reveal.

Oh man, that was great. I'm sad now that we get no more episodes for a very long time.

- I was surprised that
they didn't bump off Mary, but I'm happy because she's awesome.

- The part where Sherlock is working out how to keep himself from dying and bringing Molly/Mycroft/Moriarty into it was really cool. Redbeard was an adorable dog.

- Was kinda laughing at the trolololo at the end, like they were doing another big cliffhanger and then "nope".

- Janine was really hot, I agree.
No need to spoiler. It's already aired.

I thought that it was definately season three's strongest episode although I'm slightly disappointed that they didn't elaborate on why Molly was no longer with Tom and did I hear right in that Sherlock has access to her spare room?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I made a bit of fanart again here!

That's fantastic :)

Really enjoyed the episode for the most part. The ending having no immediate discernible consequences was kind of a letdown. I thought the section where after Sherlock got shot was really cool, and Mikkelsen was awesome and killed that role. The section where Sherlock and John went to Appledore was really great until the shooting scene. I assumed that Sherlock had John bring his gun at the end because he expected a situation like that (and that was my assumption as well at that point), but the way Sherlock was confused kind of surprised me (also, they didn't get frisked? I guess you could just say hubris on CAM's part, but meh). I guess we're supposed to assume that the whole "no vault" thing was an unexpected twist for Sherlock? No thoughts on Moriarty yet. Just kind of indifferent until I see what they do with that. Overall there was more in the episode that I liked than disliked though.

For the season, I'd have to say 2>3>1

I didn't care for the no consequences reset shit, but I'm a little surprised that everyone hated the shooting itself. Seeing Sherlock clever his way out of every discernable situation is better than Matt Smith's "I'll say how clever I am and no need to elaborate how or why" approach, but if he does it everytime against all odds we're getting into Dexter level nonsense.

Top Bottom