• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Alienous

Mildly disappointed in this episode but still enjoyed it a lot.

The 5 minute scene where Sherlock saves his own life was pretty cool until you realized the whole scene was pointless because his murderer wasn't trying to kill him anyway.

The twist with Mary was only mildly interesting. Magnusson was an awesome villain but the way he went out wasn't so great. Magnusson probably should've seen the gunshot coming. And Sherlock's GPS plan really wasn't that clever, I was hoping Sherlock would have another layer of plan after he realized there were no vaults.

I don't know, it was a fun episode. Magnusson scenes were probably the best part.

I didn't take it that the assassin had much experience shooting and not killing someone. So it was probably, at least partially, a punt of their part.

But wait, if CAM
only had that information in his mental vault, wouldn't it have been pretty easy to flush him out? I mean sure he can publish it and people will believe it at first, but if he actually can never produce physical evidence, it wouldn't take too long before someone starts demanding more than his word, suing him for libel, and from then on his reputation (and therefore his intimidation and leverage power) would start to disappear quickly.
Once he passes for the guy who makes up shit but never have any evidence, he becomes what, a shitty tabloid owner?

They don't know that he doesn't have the physical evidence. So it can be assumed than nobody has challenged that, fearing that they would be exposed with proof even if there isn't any. Everything points to him having proof also, even to Sherlock.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
There was a reference to Basil the Great Mouse Detective right? 'Behind the clock face of Big Ben' is where the final fight with Rattigan occurs... or is this a stretch?

UrbanRats

That was the question Watson asked that prompted CAM to call him stupid and start flicking him lol. Watch the episode again for CAM's answer, he explains the leverage better than I can

He says he
doesn't need to prove it, just to publish it, which is true in a very limited scope.
The fact that he doesn't effectively have a huge vault with more hard evidence beyond his word, kinds of defeats the point of his huge leverage.
I mean we're talking about a man "controlling the western world", Snowden had more solid evidence than that, and he didn't control shit.

He said he could procure some of that hard evidence if need be, but at that point anyone could and it starts to become a bit too flimsy as a threat.

Oh boy, they better bring not back that clownish Moriarty performance. The cameo in this ep was already cringeworthy and the only redeeming aspect about this characterisation was how it ended in the S2 finale. So I hope this turns out to be something more interesting...

Also, I really hope Sherlock doesn't get away with murder just because he is Sherlock. Not to mention that it was saddening as fuck that an actual good villain is immediately offed. Guy was awesome. Disgusting as hell, but awesome. Or pretty much what Moriarty should have been, who really never seemed particularly clever or threatening in this version. Now this Magnus (?) on the other hand was real Evil Sherlock.

I like the dual binaries they had going on-- CAM isn't actually Evil Sherlock; he's Evil Mycroft. Evil Sherlock is Moriarty. And Moriarty is possibly
a Holmes brother

Looking forward to this show's future. This has been an experimental season, deftly directed.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
He says he
doesn't need to prove it, just to publish it, which is true in a very limited scope.
The fact that he doesn't effectively have a huge vault with more hard evidence beyond his word, kinds of defeats the point of his huge leverage.
I mean we're talking about a man "controlling the western world", Snowden had more solid evidence than that, and he didn't control shit.

He said he could procure some of that hard evidence if need be, but at that point anyone could and it starts to become a bit too flimsy as a threat.

Mycroft said it himself, he doesn't piss off powerful people too much. He isn't controlling the Western world in an active manner, just manipulating it to his ends. He doesn't need evidence per se, just the threat of it and the ability to potentially exploit it.

But we do know that he has to get the evidence in the first place in order to store them - he has the letters in the beginning - and his empire allows him to do that.

UrbanRats

Mycroft said it himself, he doesn't piss off powerful people too much. He isn't controlling the Western world in an active manner, just manipulating it to his ends. He doesn't need evidence per se, just the threat of it.

But we do know that he has to get the evidence in the first place in order to store them - he has the letters in the beginning - and his empire allows him to do that.

That's what i'm wondering (what kind of physical evidence does he have in practicality).
I guess Mycroft keeps him around because he was kind of a double edged sword, but otherwise i don't see knowledge itself being that powerful of a tool, when dealing with the implied powers as the secret services and such are in the show.

AkuMifune

Banned
I was pretty disappointed by this episode, and am struck by how unlike Sherlock Sherlock has been this season. The first episode he got a pass because he was just getting back into his groove, and in the second episode was distracted by his best friend's wedding, and the fact that he even had a best friend. But by the third he should have been smarter, had a plan, been one step ahead, but again he was a step behind and almost...pedestrian. His solution at the end only came about because he failed to make the correct deductions, missed key information, and was impulsive more than anything else. I expected a trap, but again Sherlock had none and instead of a clever way out, really Sherlock just cheated.

I know people have been all over the show this season, but I liked the first episodes well enough and expected a really well crafted finale, but it was kind of lame. I know there will be defenses of it, like he was really using drugs or that it was a clever solution because it was unexpected, but I demand more from this character!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
That's what i'm wondering (what kind of physical evidence does he have in practicality).
I guess Mycroft keeps him around because he was kind of a double edged sword, but otherwise i don't see knowledge itself being that powerful of a tool, when dealing with the implied powers as the secret services and such are in the show.

The implication - I think - is that if he knows something he has the power to obtain it (within reason). But because people know that he doesn't need to go through the hassle and danger. If he actually had a huge crypt of secrets, that itself would be dangerous to Magnusson.

Mycroft kept him around because he helped out occasionally and because he had incriminating evidence. He says as much in the episode. CAM isn't hugely dangerous, sometimes he is a nuisance, sometimes he is useful. He's part of the establishment.

EDIT:
I was pretty disappointed by this episode, and am struck by how unlike Sherlock Sherlock has been this season. The first episode he got a pass because he was just getting back into his groove, and in the second episode was distracted by his best friend's wedding, and the fact that he even had a best friend. But by the third he should have been smarter, had a plan, been one step ahead, but again he was a step behind and almost...pedestrian. His solution at the end only came about because he failed to make the correct deductions, missed key information, and was impulsive more than anything else. I expected a trap, but again Sherlock had none and instead of a clever way out, really Sherlock just cheated.

I know people have been all over the show this season, but I liked the first episodes well enough and expected a really well crafted finale, but it was kind of lame. I know there will be defenses of it, like he was really using drugs or that it was a clever solution because it was unexpected, but I demand more from this character!

Some of this is character growth, and I loved high Sherlock. However at times I agree that it hasn't felt quite the same character. He was speaking very peculiarly throughout this episode, for example.

UrbanRats

Well he is, after all, the dumb brother.

The implication - I think - is that if he knows something he has the power to obtain it (within reason). But because people know that he doesn't need to go through the hassle and danger. If he actually had a huge crypt of secrets, that itself would be dangerous to Magnusson.

Mycroft kept him around because he helped out occasionally and because he had incriminating evidence. He says as much in the episode. CAM isn't hugely dangerous, sometimes he is a nuisance, sometimes he is useful. He's part of the establishment.

I guess i overestimated his influence and power, it seemed like he was a huge presence, from the episode (or at least, I got this impression).
I figured you can pull the strings with your limited leverage (like he has) only so far, until you start bothering too big institutions, at which point they'd make you disappear with relative ease, i'd imagine.

I can see someone like Moriarty be far more effective in his threats, the dude had a big net of terrorists and violent criminals, at least.

Alienous

Probably nothing. And that's what's really interesting about it. If someone challenged him and fought the accusations, they'd probably win. But the accusations are so scathing, and the detail convinces the people accused that there must be a document on them, that nobody has challenged CAM. He doesn't need to prove anything, because it's all based on threats, and the blackmail/leverage is more important than the story. He just likes the power.

As for where he gets his information from, that's interesting. Probably just a spy network.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Probably nothing. And that's what's really interesting about it. If someone challenged him and fought the accusations, they'd probably win. But the accusations are so scathing, and the detail convinces the people accused that there must be a document on them, that nobody has challenged CAM. He doesn't need to prove anything, because it's all based on threats, and the blackmail/leverage is more important than the story. He just likes the power.

As for where he gets his information from, that's interesting. Probably just a spy network.

His spy network are his papers/journalists. Mycroft's are the spies.

nynt9

Once the glasses came of, the only reasonable explanation was that he remembered everything. Sure, that doesn't fully entail that Appledore doesn't have any vaults because it doesn't need them, but surely Sherlock would have pondered about the possibility? I think Sherlock was at his lowest in this episode, with regards to his deductive abilities. Not that that is a necessarily bad thing, the episode was great. Also, I think we finally saw that while Sherlock might be brilliant, he isn't omniscient. If you look back throughout this season Sherlock commited a number of mistakes and failed to recognize a number of clues and conclusions.

Great end to an expansive & experimental third series.

That encounter was all about presenting himself as no threat to CAM, his grabbing for the glasses and being hooked up to the morphine, was there to make CAM underestimate & misunderstand Sherlock, to his ultimate cost.

I agree with Darth Sonik to an extent, I think you're not giving Sherlock the credit he deserves here.

He has several ideas as to how CAM is storing all this information. It's either in vaults, in his glasses, or in his head. Sherlock probably suspects that it's all in his head, but he doesn't want to admit it because then the only way to stop him is to kill him. So he eliminates the glasses option, and at that moment he almost certainly knows that he must kill CAM, which is why he is so shaken. At the same time, by making himself look weak in front of CAM, which will lead to CAM underestimating him. He sets up all these weaknesses (that are also half-true), and gets himself close to CAM. There are two ways this can play out. Either there are vaults and Mycroft storms in and captures CAM, or it's all in his head. Sherlock's prepared for this possibility all along because he told Watson to bring his gun. At this point in his hubris, CAM doesn't even make his men frisk Watson, probably because of the scene earlier in the episode and he believes Sherlock and Watson are above killing him. When Sherlock finally verifies multiple times that there is no vault and it's all in his head, he confirms his fears - he must kill CAM, which is also admitting defeat because he couldn't outsmart him. But he knows what he must do, and as he's already prepared, he just pulls the trigger.

komplanen

Even if some of you are bitching about Sherlock not being Sherlock enough, you got to admit this is the best tv drama currently in existence, right? I mean fuck how am I going to last another two years for more?

pigeon

Banned
I agree with Darth Sonik to an extent, I think you're not giving Sherlock the credit he deserves here.

He has several ideas as to how CAM is storing all this information. It's either in vaults, in his glasses, or in his head. Sherlock probably suspects that it's all in his head, but he doesn't want to admit it because then the only way to stop him is to kill him. So he eliminates the glasses option, and at that moment he almost certainly knows that he must kill CAM, which is why he is so shaken. At the same time, by making himself look weak in front of CAM, which will lead to CAM underestimating him. He sets up all these weaknesses (that are also half-true), and gets himself close to CAM. There are two ways this can play out. Either there are vaults and Mycroft storms in and captures CAM, or it's all in his head. Sherlock's prepared for this possibility all along because he told Watson to bring his gun. At this point in his hubris, CAM doesn't even make his men frisk Watson, probably because of the scene earlier in the episode and he believes Sherlock and Watson are above killing him. When Sherlock finally verifies multiple times that there is no vault and it's all in his head, he confirms his fears - he must kill CAM, which is also admitting defeat because he couldn't outsmart him. But he knows what he must do, and as he's already prepared, he just pulls the trigger.

I think this is basically accurate, except that Sherlock isn't hesitating. He can't shoot CAM without witnesses or John will come under suspicion. That's why he waits for the helicopters to have a clear view before he shoots Magnussen.

Risible

I can buy that Sherlock had a plan and knew he might have to kill Mangusson, especially given that he made sure John brought his gun.

What I didn't buy was that Magnusson would ever reveal that all of the data was in his head. Once that fact is know by ANYBODY, it's game over for him. All someone has to do is kill him and it's a done deal. So even if he believed that Sherlock and John were above killing him, Sherlock knows the truth and will pass it along to Mycroft who is most certainly not above having Magnusson taken out.

Magnusson was supposed to be very smart, and someone who was very smart would never let anyone discover the truth behind his "vault."

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I can buy that Sherlock had a plan and knew he might have to kill Mangusson, especially given that he made sure John brought his gun.

What I didn't buy was that Magnusson would ever reveal that all of the data was in his head. Once that fact is know by ANYBODY, it's game over for him. All someone has to do is kill him and it's a done deal. So even if he believed that Sherlock and John were above killing him, Sherlock knows the truth and will pass it along to Mycroft who is most certainly not above having Magnusson taken out.

Magnusson was supposed to be very smart, and someone who was very smart would never let anyone discover the truth behind his "vault."

He is a man who likes to own everyone. He doesn't want people to be left doubting. He wants them to be absolutely subservient to him. There was no reason to believe he would be killed and by showing the mind palace (it was so lame when referenced in the show by name) to Sherlock he was asserting his intellectual dominance. It is hubris and it kills him.

Sherlock is shown to be 'less intelligent', yet he wins...

I think this whole season has been about John. The whole lead up to the final episode is about Sherlock's pressure point - John. And even the final episode is about John. It is about Sherlock putting John and letting John cloud his judgement, his thinking. For the first time in his life, Sherlock has a weakness and that is his friendship with John. And that actually picks up brilliantly from S3 ending, where Sherlock fakes his own death for his loved ones. I actually quite like it.

UrbanRats

He is a man who likes to own everyone. He doesn't want people to be left doubting. He wants them to be absolutely subservient to him. There was no reason to believe he would be killed and by showing the mind palace (it was so lame when referenced in the show by name) to Sherlock he was asserting his intellectual dominance. It is hubris and it kills him.

Sherlock is shown to be 'less intelligent', yet he wins...

Yeah it is shown multiple times how CAM id hubris over intelligence.
Hell, his whole character is based around that.

Alienous

Well Sherlock had to know SOMETHING, otherwise he wouldn't have been so insistent on John bringing the gun.

He couldn't be sure, and he was probably aware that things could get messy. But it probably only occurred to him that he would need to steal the file, using the gun as a threat (CAM is clearly afraid of bullets).

I think it's intentional. Sherlock was far more introverted in the earlier series' than I ever interpreted the character in a Doyle books, and this is part of his development. He is becoming more human, and more like Sherlock Holmes. Flawed, and he knows it, because he constantly is looking to others (particularly Mycroft) for direction.

This recent episode goes to show how he is still staggeringly intelligent, but flawed. And how he resolves the CAM situation was brilliant, IMO. He just didn't have a logical answer, and done the unanticipated instead. Quite like Moriarty at the end of Season 2. And
the potential return of Moriarty, or his plots
will probably bring Sherlock back to his A game.

AkuMifune

Banned
Even if some of you are bitching about Sherlock not being Sherlock enough, you got to admit this is the best tv drama currently in existence, right? I mean fuck how am I going to last another two years for more?

Yeah, still is. The only shows I really like are this and Ripper Street, so there's only this left anyway. Just expected more from the character (especially thinking back to his season 2 magic), but there has been growth in other areas.

While he has become a shit detective, he's at least an OK friend now, for example. ;)

I think this whole season has been about John. The whole lead up to the final episode is about Sherlock's pressure point - John. And even the final episode is about John. It is about Sherlock putting John and letting John cloud his judgement, his thinking. For the first time in his life, Sherlock has a weakness and that is his friendship with John. And that actually picks up brilliantly from S3 ending, where Sherlock fakes his own death for his loved ones. I actually quite like it.

I'll agree to this, as even in the mini-episode, Many Happy Returns, Lestrade bringing over the box of Sherlock's things to John had meaning since it contained the birthday DVD. The fact that it was the unedited version of said birthday DVD was a nice touch since it showed Sherlock's struggle to say exactly how much of a friend John is to him.

komplanen

Yeah, still is. The only shows I really like are this and Ripper Street, so there's only this left anyway. Just expected more from the character (especially thinking back to his season 2 magic), but there has been growth in other areas.

While he has become a shit detective, he's at least an OK friend now, for example. ;)

I feel like it was basically a situation where they could have written Sherlock Holmes to be like Sherlock Homes, as in he outsmarts his competition and is super duper amazing, or they could have (and did) write him as someone who sacrified himself to "save" Watson. Basically it was either a ninth movie-lenght episode with Sherlock being Sherlock again and again or him having grown into something more. Also it helps that he clearly knew he might not get what he wants so he asked Watson to bring the gun in the first place.

I like that Sherlock's plan was so simple: Confirm that Appledore is actually Magnusson's memory and then kill him. Moriarty said that Sherlock's weakness is that he always needs to have everything be complicated and clever. As weird as it is, straight up murder is character growth for Sherlock.

UrbanRats

17k+ hours to the next episode.

im6ENQCsejonz.gif

Let's just hope he won't become addicted to it. A new unstoppable villain? Just kill 'em all.

Hahaha. But, as he said, he really HATES Magnussen. I think he either weirdly respects criminals like Moriarty and would never off them as it would be "cheating" and not actually beating them, or doesn't see lower level villains as enough of a threat to use lethal force.

I took his shooting CAM as confirming how much of an existential threat CAM actually was.

Sherlock was desperate to protect Mary, and by proxy, John. It wasn't time to "show off" it was about directly destroying the Mind Palace in the only way he could. Ergo, bang bang Mr. Magnussen.

kr2t0s

Not a huge fan of the last episode...nor this season really.

Nothing felt connected - they had to remind the audience
of Watson being kidnapped

I honestly don't remember a single crime that was solved throughout the 3 episodes. The ending to the 3rd episode
felt cheap and not at all in line with Sherlock being a smart detective.

I definitely laughed and was entertained with this season but it's actually the weakest of the 3 IMO.

ganon

The more I think about it, basically CAM was pretty stupid too, eh? He was almost killed by Mary (how the hell did she get into his office by the way??), kneels and begs for his life like a coward, but he didn't learn a lesson from that and instead he didn't even bother to frisk Sherlock for a gun and blab out his mind palace secret for Sherlock to blow up. Tsk tsk.

UrbanRats

Not a huge fan of the last episode...nor this season really.

Nothing felt connected - they had to remind the audience
of Watson being kidnapped

I honestly don't remember a single crime that was solved throughout the 3 episodes. The ending to the 3rd episode
felt cheap and not at all in line with Sherlock being a smart detective.

I definitely laughed and was entertained with this season but it's actually the weakest of the 3 IMO.

I agree that it was the weakest, though i still enjoyed it.
But Moriarty is back, so all is fine.

I mean Sherlock works best, in my opinion, when there is a strong intellectual nemesis, that is a constant, looming threat.
Which is what i hoped CAM would be, but..

The more I think about it, basically CAM was pretty stupid too, eh? He was almost killed by Mary (how the hell did she get into his office by the way??), kneels and begs for his life like a coward, but he didn't learn a lesson from that and instead he didn't even bother to frisk Sherlock for a gun and blab out his mind palace secret for Sherlock to blow up. Tsk tsk.

Janine is a terrible secretary confirmed.

I believed it. The man is obsessed with holding his power over you. Ego. He think he holds your entire life in his hands and can do whatever he wishes.

That's why he'd never see the gunshot to the head coming. He's so invested in his own power over John and Sherlock that he honestly didn't think they would kill him.

I hope
Moriarty isn't back. The actor, and the character were great on here. This is where a lot of takes on Holmes starts to annoy me. Moriarty appears in ONE of the original works. Just one. He shouldn't stick around for ever. Having him constantly around just annoys me. Personally I've seen enough of Moriarty.
I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one though, so it probably will be him.

UrbanRats

I hope
Moriarty isn't back. The actor, and the character were great on here. This is where a lot of takes on Holmes starts to annoy me. Moriarty appears in ONE of the original works. Just one. He shouldn't stick around for ever. Having him constantly around just annoys me. Personally I've seen enough of Moriarty.

I don't think Moriarty himself is coming back.
Either a relative or a copycat.

Anyway, i just want a big nemesis that can stand up to Sherlock on an intellectual level and be an actual threat.

Also why are we spoilering?

obin_gam

I hope

I agree. Moriarty is memorable as a villain throughout the ages BECAUSE he only appears once. Defeats the entire purpose of the character to not follow that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyway, i just want a big nemesis that can stand up to Sherlock on an intellectual level and be an actual threat.
I honestly hope the series doesn't end with him stopping a terrorist cell that set up a nuclear bomb in London or something, but it seems to be going that way.

Daft_Cat

Let's just hope he won't become addicted to it. A new unstoppable villain? Just kill 'em all.

It was actually kind of refreshing to see the writers approach the whole "protagonist/antithesis" villain dynamic, only to have Sherlock blow CAM's head off. I agree that it's actually a decent bit of character development, as well as a nice play on the whole "we're two sides of a coin" thing.

Batman couldn't kill Joker. Joker couldn't kill Batman. Smith and Neo both needed to die. Sherlock couldn't kill Moriarty, Moriarty wouldn't kill Sherlock. Moriarty commits suicide, Sherlock commits suicide. Sherlock's back? Moriarty is back too.

I'm curious - how many of you Sherlock fans have watched Moffat's 'Jekyll'? It's very much the show that was the template for Sherlock in terms of updating a literary/TV classic, and in some ways I actually prefer it to Sherlock. Worth a look for those who haven't. Gatiss is in it as well.

Thanks, will check it out.

I'm curious - how many of you Sherlock fans have watched Moffat's 'Jekyll'? It's very much the show that was the template for Sherlock in terms of updating a literary/TV classic, and in some ways I actually prefer it to Sherlock. Worth a look for those who haven't. Gatiss is in it as well.

I'd love a crossover...

Taruranto

Uh, why didn't Mary
just shot Magnusson exactly? She could have incapacitated Sherlock and then killed him, this way with Sherlock alive John couldn't be a suspect.

Uh, why didn't Mary
just shot Magnusson exactly? She could have incapacitated Sherlock and then killed him, this way with Sherlock alive John couldn't be a suspect.

Because John would have automatically been a suspect. Sherlock being shot would give him motive. He wouldn't be convicted or anything, since there weren't two guns, but being a suspect is enough.

Top Bottom