• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Have them switch for an episode.

They have to also switch clothes for the full effect... Wait, would this be more of a comedic episode or do we need drama...

I kinda wanna see Riddell go full 'big game hunter' mode on some criminals with the stun rifle.

Feran

They have to also switch clothes for the full effect... Wait, would this be more of a comedic episode or do we need drama...

I kinda wanna see Riddell go full 'big game hunter' mode on some criminals with the stun rifle.

All part of the sitcom? Haha

Meier

Thought this season was fantastic. Really enjoyed the third episode in particular but 2 was excellent as well. The first was solid but not spectacular due to all the time devoted to Sherlock's return, but I still liked it.

It wouldn't be out of place on Boxing Day, though...

Possibly not, but it's worked fabulously well on New Year's twice now. Would they risk changing it, when Boxing Day is in no way guaranteed to bring bigger ratings?

I can see the logic behind Christmas Day, with one of the BBC's top dramas getting pride of place on the big day. But there isn't room and, as Call The Midwife and Downton Abbey have showed us over the past few years, big prestigious dramas don't reach the height of their potential on the big day anyway.

The entire episode would be a dream that Lestrade is happening. And then he wakes up, next to a naked sweetheart Molly that asks if he's okay, and he begins describing this magnificent blue box and the weirdo that traveled with it, and then on the other side of him is Matt Smith, also naked. Lestrade screams and then wakes up alone in his crappy apartment. "Goddamn it Sherlock, what the hell did you put in that tea"

Cue laugh track.

The entire episode would be a dream that Lestrade is happening. And then he wakes up, next to a naked sweetheart Molly that asks if he's okay, and he begins describing this magnificent blue box and the weirdo that traveled with it, and then on the other side of him is Matt Smith, also naked. Lestrade screams and then wakes up alone in his crappy apartment. "Goddamn it Sherlock, what the hell did you put in that tea"

Cue laugh track.

There we go. That said, I really liked Riddell's outfit though it was the character's swag that makes it all work. Gave off that Indiana Jones vibe.

Also... perhaps not tea, but Sherlock may have gotten bored and played around with Mrs. Hudson's stash to make some special 'doughnuts' for Lestrade as part of an experiment.

There we go. That said, I really liked Riddell's outfit though it was the character's swag that makes it all work. Gave off that Indiana Jones vibe.

Also... perhaps not tea, but Sherlock may have gotten bored and played around with Mrs. Hudson's stash to make some special 'doughnuts' for Lestrade as part of an experiment.

Remember how Sherlock was laughing to himself as John was tripping during Hounds? Imagine both John, Mary, and Sherlock are in on the joke this time.

Magwik

Banned
The final had the same haphazard nature of Moffat's Who work. I call it Matrix Reloaded syndrome...at no point has anything he has written since becoming a show runner showed any evidence of being put into the drawer then taken out a few weeks later where the glaring flaws would be evident in the first draft. Kind of like Matrix Reloaded. His original Who work was mesmerising examples of screen writing, everything since seems chaotic and slap ' n dash. Still at least it wasn't as bad as the stomach churning Matt Smith exit episode.

Yea I noticed it too. Also ToTD wasn't that bad.

Sorry, double post, but I am DYING here.

nTrH8m2.jpg

Full Imgur album

Jak140

I'm surprised how much people like this series. It's by far the worst, IMO. The first two episodes are a poorly paced, disjointed patchwork of fandom wank. Instead of being about cases or the characters, the show is suddenly about itself, to the point that it almost disappears up it's own ass. Sure the final episode rights the ship somewhat, but the villain is hardly given a few minutes to be established as a menace before he is gone. The first two series left me wanting more and unable to stand the wait, this one left me wondering what I liked so much about the show in the first place.

Linkhero1

I'm surprised how much people like this series. It's by far the worst, IMO. The first two episodes are a poorly paced, disjointed patchwork of fandom wank. Instead of being about cases or the characters, the show is suddenly about itself, to the point that it almost disappears up it's own ass. Sure the final episode rights the ship somewhat, but the villain is hardly given a few minutes to be established as a menace before he is gone. The first two series left me wanting more and unable to stand the wait, this one left me wondering what I liked so much about the show in the first place.

I didn't think it was bad but I don't think it's my favorite series either. Series 2 holds the title minus S2E2. I can see why you didn't enjoy this one as much. They're more aware of their fandom than in the first two seasons. They aren't as subtle with their jokes as they were in the prior two seasons either.

Not about the characters? That's ridiculous, it's a series about character development, first and foremost.

Jak140

Not about the characters? That's ridiculous, it's a series about character development, first and foremost.
I disagree. Previous episodes felt like they were about the characters, this series felt like the characters had become caricatures of themselves. Sherlock goes two years without letting Watson know he is alive for no good reason, then treats his return as a joke, completely ignoring that by Reichenbach Fall he had gained an understanding of how important their bond was to him. And yet, by the second episode of the series with no further catalyst he is back to appreciating their bond to the point of lecturing someone else on what he wouldn't do to John on his wedding day for fear of emotionally damaging him. It just seems like Sherlock not contacting John for two years was a convenience for plotting, since it is an unexplained regression in his character development. In the third episode, several minutes are spent on Sherlock considering how to survive a bullet wound in a split second, which we later discover was ultimately pointless because it was designed to be non-fatal. Let's also not forget how many of the side characters are reduced to self-parody for one off jokes: Mycroft enjoys watching Sherlock be tortured. Anderson is a basement dwelling conspiracy theorist. Molly is dating an obvious Sherlock stand in. This series felt like it was more about self-referential jokes than the characters.

I disagree. Previous episodes felt like they were about the characters, this series felt like the characters had become caricatures of themselves. Sherlock goes two years without letting Watson know he is alive for no good reason, then treats his return as a joke, completely ignoring that by Reichenbach Fall he had gained an understanding of how important their bond was to him.

You do know that this series is an adaptation of books, right? All these things happened in the stories written in the late 1800s. There was a damned good reason he didn't let John know he was alive.

I felt there was HUGE character growth this season, showing just how much Sherlock had changed during his time away. Of course Sherlock treated his return like a joke, he fails to understand stuff sometimes. In the canon, John fainted, in this series, John beat the shit out of him for it. If you doubt Sherlock cares for John, he was that very episode diving without hesitation into a fire to pull him out.

I just wonder if you were watching while doing other things or something, because it's really hard to miss how this season has been the big Character Development season.

Sorry if I sounded short or something, most people's complaints about this season is that it WAS mostly character development and not just cases, so I find it odd that someone would complain about it not being that. People can like whatever they want and all, not busting your chops, just curious how you see it so differently than everyone else.

Jak140

You do know that this series is an adaptation of books, right? All these things happened in the stories written in the late 1800s. There was a damned good reason he didn't let John know he was alive.

I felt there was HUGE character growth this season, showing just how much Sherlock had changed during his time away. Of course Sherlock treated his return like a joke, he fails to understand stuff sometimes. In the canon, John fainted, in this series, John beat the shit out of him for it. If you doubt Sherlock cares for John, he was that very episode diving without hesitation into a fire to pull him out.

I just wonder if you were watching while doing other things or something, because it's really hard to miss how this season has been the big Character Development season.
I realize it's an adaptation of the books, I'm saying that in the episode they didn't give a good reason for why Holmes wouldn't let Watson know for two years. Particularly when even Molly knew.

A lot of what happened didn't strike me as character development. It felt more like a series of disjointed skits featuring the characters from the first two seasons. What development there was seemed like retreads of what had already been established: Sherlock realizing the importance of his bond with Watson, Watson realizing he is attracted to danger.

I realize it's an adaptation of the books, I'm saying that in the episode they didn't give a good reason for why Holmes wouldn't let Watson know for two years. Particularly when even Molly knew.

I thought it was inferred that John knowing about it would make it less safe for Sherlock while he was taking down the Network, and possibly cost the three sniper targets their lives. That if John's grief wasn't 'real' enough, people would know Sherlock was actually alive and therefore either complete the kill order or go after Sherlock.

That might be my brain mixing the books though? I don't know. I picked up on it :/

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Sherlock was hunting down Moriarty's network; presumably if they found out Sherlock was alive it would compromise that work and potentially endanger the sniper targets.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The targets Moriarty identified as being the most important people to Sherlock are Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson, and Watson. They were his leverage during the final show down, and they continued to be his leverage even after his demise because Sherlock could not guarantee that Moriarty's cell would stand down (probably guessing that Moriarty outlined specific procedures to undertake in the case of his incarceration/demise).

The two years were to give him time and space to dismantle the remnants of Moriarty's cell and to do that he needed to keep up all appearances of being dead, including the reactions to his death on the parts of the aforementioned three. Aside from Lestrade, they are not trained professionals like Mycroft is (which is why Mycroft was never a target, Moriarty knew he couldn't get the upperhand on him which is why he opted for 3 "normals"). They would not be able to convincingly fake their grief and whoever Moriarty set to observe them, even if they are not as intelligent as Sherlock or Moriarty, would surely notice.

I mean it's all farfetched and melodramatic, yes, but it's pretty obvious as well.

Jak140

The targets Moriarty identified as being the most important people to Sherlock are Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson, and Watson. They were his leverage during the final show down, and they continued to be his leverage even after his demise because Sherlock could not guarantee that Moriarty's cell would stand down (probably guessing that Moriarty outlined specific procedures to undertake in the case of his incarceration/demise).

The two years were to give him time and space to dismantle the remnants of Moriarty's cell and to do that he needed to keep up all appearances of being dead, including the reactions to his death on the parts of the aforementioned three. Aside from Lestrade, they are not trained professionals like Mycroft is (which is why Mycroft was never a target, Moriarty knew he couldn't get the upperhand on him which is why he opted for 3 "normals"). They would not be able to convincingly fake their grief and whoever Moriarty set to observe them, even if they are not as intelligent as Sherlock or Moriarty, would surely notice.

I mean it's all farfetched and melodramatic, yes, but it's pretty obvious as well.

Honestly, that's probably a better explanation than in the original stories, so I stand corrected on that. But I still assert that this series wasted too much time on skits, fan service and trying to be too clever for its own good, to the point that it robbed the plot of any dramatic tension. I mean has there ever been a fictional terrorist plot where it felt like there was less at stake than the one in The Empty Hearse? I saw the episode only a few weeks ago and I had almost forgotten it was even in the episode. This entire series played out like that, and not because of character development as people say, but because it took a backseat to stuff like explaining Reichenbach Fall three different ways, Sherlock barfing on a carpet, and spending ten minutes on deciding how to survive a bullet wound.

Konka

Banned

A lot of what happened didn't strike me as character development. It felt more like a series of disjointed skits featuring the characters from the first two seasons. What development there was seemed like retreads of what had already been established: Sherlock realizing the importance of his bond with Watson, Watson realizing he is attracted to danger.

Having Molly know is one thing, having Watson know is throwing out the canon of Sherlock Holmes entirely. Sherlock did not trust Watson to not blow his cover.

In reality, Sherlock was never supposed to come back in the books. The story with Moriarty is called The Final Problem, he was supposed to be gone. Then a couple years later The Hound of the Baskervilles was released and was a big enough hit that Doyle brought Sherlock Holmes back in The Adventure of the Empty House.

Jak140

Having Molly know is one thing, having Watson know is throwing out the canon of Sherlock Holmes entirely. Sherlock did not trust Watson to not blow his cover.

In reality, Sherlock was never supposed to come back in the books. The story with Moriarty is called The Final Problem, he was supposed to be gone. Then a couple years later The Hound of the Baskervilles was released and was a big enough hit that Doyle brought Sherlock Holmes back in The Adventure of the Empty House.
I already responded to this above, but I do know the history of the story. However, I don't think being true to canon is as important as being true to the characters in the story as you are telling it. Even Doyle's explanation wasn't perfect, which is what's great about adaptation, as you are free to adjust from the source.

Konka

Banned
I already responded to this above, but I do know the history of the story. However, I don't think being true to canon is as important as being true to the characters in the story as you are telling it. Even Doyle's explanation wasn't perfect, which is what's great about adaptation, as you are free to adjust from the source.

Having Watson know is more than an adaption, it is a fundamental change.

Jak140

Having Watson know is more than an adaption, it is a fundamental change.
I don't see what's so terrible about that; so is setting Sherlock in modern day, making Watson a woman (see Elementary), etc. Anyway I wasn't asking for Watson to know necessarily, just for there to be a very good explanation. Something that even Doyle struggled with because it was unplanned. But this is a moot point as I already conceded it above.

Jak140

I gotta say, that bullet wound mind palace sequence is probably one of my favourites so far.
I thought it was self-indulgent to the point of ridiculousness (we are supposed to believe it takes place in a split second) and ultimately pointless considering that we later find out the shot would have never killed him.

Veelk

Banned
Honestly, that's probably a better explanation than in the original stories, so I stand corrected on that. But I still assert that this series wasted too much time on skits, fan service and trying to be too clever for its own good, to the point that it robbed the plot of any dramatic tension. I mean has there ever been a fictional terrorist plot where it felt like there was less at stake than the one in The Empty Hearse? I saw the episode only a few weeks ago and I had almost forgotten it was even in the episode. This entire series played out like that, and not because of character development as people say, but because it took a backseat to stuff like explaining Reichenbach Fall three different ways, Sherlock barfing on a carpet, and spending ten minutes on deciding how to survive a bullet wound.

I don't see these things as bad. they were breather episodes, where Sherlock is just back and just getting into the swing of things. I think you're presuming on the fact that just because a few hundreds people's lives are at stake, there ought to be drama and tensions running high. No, it's Tuesday. Deadly as the risks might be, the only real point of contention, the one thing Sherlock had not 'gotten', in Empty hearse was where the missing train carriage went. An easy case when it's all said and done, so they spend the time on jokes instead of artificial tension.

Same thing with The Sign of Three. The mystery was for the most part something on the backburner until we realized that the target was someone in the room. And the reason it was tense wasn't because the guy might die, it was interesting because it demonstrated character development and how Sherlock and John grew into their roles, as well as what role Mary now played in their dynamic.

I agree, completely.

The idea of Holmes acting as a deep cover operative going around the world "dismantling" Moriarty's network (read: assassinating foreign nationals without due process) always struck me as a little odd. He's not Jack Bauer or a member of Seal Team Six and nothing else in the series really demonstrates that he has the kind of skills necessary to perform those roles. That transforms his role from genius consulting detective who occasionally helps out Scotland Yard to black ops deep cover field agent. The series is basically asking us to believe he has single-handedly been covertly conducting a bunch of bin Laden assassinations (well, maybe more like bin Laden henchmen) for two years without attracting the attention of either foreign governments or rogue criminal elements and that, you know, that's just the kind of thing he does.

Yes, I have thought about this too much.

Quick

Banned
I thought it was self-indulgent to the point of ridiculousness (we are supposed to believe it takes place in a split second) and ultimately pointless considering that we later find out the shot would have never killed him.

The reason for him to be inside that mind palace was precisely so takes the steps to prevent death.

It could have easily killed him if he fell forwards or gave in to shock or whatever. Just cause she meant to wound him doesn't mean that he would never have died.

I loved that sequence.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"Saving people, solving mysteries, the family business."

Fireblend

Banned
I gotta say, that bullet wound mind palace sequence is probably one of my favourites so far.
Yep, I loved it as well. I guess it has its perks, having awful taste in pretty much everything. Makes life way more enjoyable.

3rd series was brilliant and I can't wait for more.

Jak140

I don't see these things as bad. they were breather episodes, where Sherlock is just back and just getting into the swing of things. I think you're presuming on the fact that just because a few hundreds people's lives are at stake, there ought to be drama and tensions running high. No, it's Tuesday. Deadly as the risks might be, the only real point of contention, the one thing Sherlock had not 'gotten', in Empty hearse was where the missing train carriage went. An easy case when it's all said and done, so they spend the time on jokes instead of artificial tension.

Same thing with The Sign of Three. The mystery was for the most part something on the backburner until we realized that the target was someone in the room. And the reason it was tense wasn't because the guy might die, it was interesting because it demonstrated character development and how Sherlock and John grew into their roles, as well as what role Mary now played in their dynamic.
Where you see breather episodes, I see poor pacing and filler. Consider, for example, where the final reveal of how Sherlock faked his death is placed as, Sherlock is ostensibly trying to figure out how to disarm a bomb (but actually wringing the moment to win Watson's forgiveness). It's a moment that if lacking in tension from the bomb could at least be a source of significant character drama, instead it is interrupted, seemingly for no reason other than that it is the climax for a flashback to Sherlock explaining to Anderson how he faked his death. Not to mention we are talking about two episodes in a three episode run. If this were a six episode run, maybe one better paced episode like the second would have fit in. Instead two thirds of the run is what you call breather episodes. And I would have loved if they spent more time delving into the character drama, instead we are more often treated with sequences like a fake out of Sherlock and Moriarty making out, which are seemingly included for no reason other than to make the fandom squee. Gatiss might as well have scripted an extended two minute sequence of Mycroft winking at the camera.

It could have easily killed him if he fell forwards or gave in to shock or whatever. Just cause she meant to wound him doesn't mean that he would never have died.

I loved that sequence.

If there was even a chance that Sherlock could have died from the shot, what does that say about Mary? That she would even take the slightest chance of putting John through Sherlock's death all over again? The only reason John was even capable of forgiving her was because Sherlock told him the shot was surgery. There's two ways you can consider this, and neither is particularly flattering to the writers. If there was even a decent chance Sherlock could have died, Mary is an absolute monster and has no business being with John, let alone outside of a jail cell. But if there was no chance he could have died, the bullet wound mind palace sequence is even more pointless and self-indulgent than it appeared at first. Ultimately, the whole Mary being a secret assassin and shooting Sherlock subplot reeks of a character being warped to work in service of the plot rather than the plotting working in service of developing the character.
Yep, I loved it as well. I guess it has its perks, having awful taste in pretty much everything. Makes life way more enjoyable.

3rd series was brilliant and I can't wait for more.
I loved the first two series, I guess that means I have awful taste. If you liked the 3rd series I have no desire to insult you personally for it, I'm just relieving myself of some severe disappointment after having waited for this series for two years.

Top Bottom