• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto Wants Nintendo to Be Left Out of the 'Game Wars' Focused on High Specs and Performance

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As PlayStation and Xbox continue to tout new hardware and improved performance, Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto pretty much wants Nintendo to stay out of the ongoing console war conversation.

"I hope that they will understand Nintendo and not get involved in what is sometimes called the 'game war,' such as high specs and how to improve the performance of game consoles," he continued. "Nintendo will continue to make products that are uniquely Nintendo using various technologies available in the world today and we will continue to create not only games but also entertainment content."

Dj Khaled Compliment GIF

Quantum253

Gold Member
Nintendo has always led with innovation over raw power. And every decade we talk about the next Nintendo console that will be equivalent to what's out or coming out.
At least this time Shigeru says don't put them in the category.
Like when the WiiU was introduced with the bird flying in the Japanese garden and all the LoD on the cherry blossoms. That blew those conversations way beyond what it was

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Someone should have told him there is no war, PlayStation won. Having said that, I'll always admire Nintendo marching to the beat of their own drum, even if I have my criticisms.
no my friends switch will pass ps2 buuuuuut they must make a good switch 2 with dlss

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Getting the impression the Switch 2 will end up with weaker specs than many supposed leaks and rumours have said it will have. :pie_thinking:

(I think they suggested PS4 level undocked and around PS4 Pro to Series S level docked?)

Kumomeme

if Switch 2 indeed has PS4 level of performance, then its enough for them. today we already see that graphics reach diminishing return output. we already can see what a mere PS4 level of performance could do with some of best looking title it. so the specs should well good enough and they can keep focused on gameplay experience of aspect afterwards.

dcx4610

As much as I hate that response, it makes sense for Nintendo and allows them to exist as a successful 3rd brand. In most things in life these days, there's only room for two - Coke and Pepsi. Walmart and Target. If you want to be a 3rd option, you better do something different. If Nintendo tried to compete on a hardware level, they'd likely cease to exist. Just be Nintendo.

Codes 208

I mean games like mario kart 8 dx and botw still hold up well, i expect next gen to mainly be a jump in IQ and frankly i would consider thatxa win.

Dont expect any miracles with gamefreak though, those turds can barely make a 3ds game with switch specs

Robb

Gold Member
Last edited:
"We love sub 25fps stutter fest games with pixels as big as your head and constant, fluctuating sub native resolution!"

If only they ate their words and put on some draconian performance targets for all publishers. THEN I'd support them.

HL3.exe

I don't own a switch or a console for that matter, I'm on PC, but I can't deny how right he is on the spec wars: it doesn't matter anymore these days. Dev cost are insane, dev times are just stupidly long, and gains are alright at best.

Nintendo kinda blew the competition away. The switch has way more interesting titles and probably the best console recently. If the backwards compatibility is alright, im dabbling with the idea to maybe get a switch 2.

Mr Hyde

Nintendo is making the right move to stay out of the arms race with Sony and Microsoft. They don't feed into the toxic console war conversations, they know it's petty bullshit. Instead they are carving out their own path, and they are being very successful at it while Sony and Microsoft have painted themselves into a corner with high end graphics, ballooning budgets and 7+ year development time. Xbox is pretty much dead and Playstation has turned into a premium brand that takes every chance it can get to fleece the customer base out of every penny to uphold that facade. Nintendo is doing smart business by focusing on things that really matter, which is fun and accessible gameplay, and they are being heavily rewarded for it. Just look at the numbers on their first party IP. Ther are cleaning house with the competition.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Mild shock, they still wanna keep the budget of their games low so they can earn more money, smart move but i hope nobody follow their example.

Kokoloko85

More like forced out. Gonna charge $60-70 for games that arent looking at High tech and performance

Last edited:

FStubbs

Getting the impression the Switch 2 will end up with weaker specs than many supposed leaks and rumours have said it will have. :pie_thinking:

(I think they suggested PS4 level undocked and around PS4 Pro to Series S level docked?)
It'll be slightly weaker than the Steam Deck docked. But the battery life will be really good. That's my guess.

shamoomoo

This is only done to maximise profits, not for any reason that benefits the consumer.
Yes. To a degree,Shigeru Myamoto is right,but the excerpt doesn't make sense because if a minimum performance upgrade isn't necessary ,why not stick with the same tech?

I get architectural efficiency and power isn't everything, especially if it isn't leverage,but there should be a balance between performance and price.

thief183

The next switch will be the first time I will not buy a a nintendo product. Not for the price or the power or the gimmick, but for the sue against palworld.

Trilobit

Nintendo doesn't understand technology and doesnt invest in RnD. So they save money on everything. Switch may cost them 100 bucks to make and they sell it for extra 200. The decade old SOC could be around 10 bucks only.

They do understand technology, which is why they have chosen to opt out from the performance race. And with the Switch it has paid off immensely.

Last edited:
Nintendo doesn't understand technology and doesnt invest in RnD. So they save money on everything. Switch may cost them 100 bucks to make and they sell it for extra 200. The decade old SOC could be around 10 bucks only.
It's almost like you don't need to be at the cutting edge of technology to make consoles and games people will enjoy. Crazy.

Thavash

Nintendo has always led with innovation over raw power. And every decade we talk about the next Nintendo console that will be equivalent to what's out or coming out.
At least this time Shigeru says don't put them in the category.
Like when the WiiU was introduced with the bird flying in the Japanese garden and all the LoD on the cherry blossoms. That blew those conversations way beyond what it was
Ok but SNES, N64 and even GameCube were powerhouses of their time ..... I miss that.....

Top Bottom