• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

JVU7KW2.jpg

Aw yeah!

neoemonk

The Beldr fight has been very bad for me. I've tried a lot of different strategies and they've all failed so far. I cleared out all the demons and he resummoned them and they came over and healed him. I just can't seem to kill the demons or him fast enough. Every demon can heal. This is a really frustrating fight.

Weiss

Banned
The Beldr fight has been very bad for me. I've tried a lot of different strategies and they've all failed so far. I cleared out all the demons and he resummoned them and they came over and healed him. I just can't seem to kill the demons or him fast enough. Every demon can heal. This is a really frustrating fight.

Level your main character up to Level 26 and fuse a King Frost and Nalagiri. King Frost's Racial ability will replenish your MP and push back Beldr's turns, while Nalagiri's Racial will let you attack twice in one turn, pushing Beldr back even further. The most important thing is delaying as many of Beldr's turns so he doesn't use his field skill and heal himself. Don't try to separate your units from each other too much and try to just plow through the enemies to make a path to Beldr, and never kill enemy leaders. Beldr will eventually mass resurrect every dead team, so you need to keep his team leaders alive.

neoemonk

I was able to win by keeping team leaders alive and getting them to use all their MP by healing. I cracked Mana Surge but didn't have the stats to learn it. Is this my only chance? I would have to reload an earlier save and grind a few levels to get the stat requirements.

Weiss

Banned
I was able to win by keeping team leaders alive and getting them to use all their MP by healing. I cracked Mana Surge but didn't have the stats to learn it. Is this my only chance? I would have to reload an earlier save and grind a few levels to get the stat requirements.

You still have the move, you just can't equip it yet.

neoemonk

I coasted through Day 4 yesterday. I'm not sure if it's easy or I'm just getting better. I have to say I really enjoy this game even though I've found it frustrating at times. I'd like to find a choice guide after I finish the game to see the different paths available.

neoemonk

Mari was saved but it looks like I can't save Keisuke now. Ah well, maybe next time. Not sure where things went wrong.

It seems like I'm starting to see the impact my choices had on the game finally, which is fun. I think I might try to finish this over the weekend.

So I beat Trumpeter on my first try (Normal) and have just attempted Beelzebub and got stomped pretty hard. He's resistant to Force so that pretty much erases the usefulness of some of my hardest hitters. Air Cutter and Zandyne are now pretty useless. So Fire and Physical is the way to go. Also on my first attempt the Rakunda half of my Avian Rakunda+Fog Breath dream team was dead so that sucked. On the plus side I've got monsters that drain lightning and null fire so that's cool, I feel like Berith is going to be super useful with Maragion and Hellfire.

I just want to reaffirm my love for Rasen Bran's hi-jinks.

Rasen is the bestest.

Even dropped that SBF joke disclaimer in there.

So I beat Trumpeter on my first try (Normal) and have just attempted Beelzebub and got stomped pretty hard. He's resistant to Force so that pretty much erases the usefulness of some of my hardest hitters. Air Cutter and Zandyne are now pretty useless. So Fire and Physical is the way to go. Also on my first attempt the Rakunda half of my Avian Rakunda+Fog Breath dream team was dead so that sucked. On the plus side I've got monsters that drain lightning and null fire so that's cool, I feel like Berith is going to be super useful with Maragion and Hellfire.

Beelzebub is an annoying fight. Buy a ton of chakra drops because you're gonna be in for a long one. And yes, fire/physical is your best shot. And even though he can dekunda in the second phase, it's still worth it to fog breath him, if only to waste one of his turns.

Also, don't bother using any demons that don't null death.

Rasen is the bestest.

Even dropped that SBF joke disclaimer in there.

Beelzebub is an annoying fight. Buy a ton of chakra drops because you're gonna be in for a long one. And yes, fire/physical is your best shot. And even though he can dekunda in the second phase, it's still worth it to fog breath him, if only to waste one of his turns.

Also, don't bother using any demons that don't null death.

I had 38 Chakra drops when I started that fight. I left with 9. So I waited till full Kagatsuchi to start the fight then when the second phase kicked in and he Dekunda-ed I switched to White Rider for his Prominence, Hell Biker because he has a skill that makes him crit for every physical on Full Kagatsuchi and Daisoujou for the Meditation/Prayer combo. That was a looooong fight.

randomkid

SMT IV official artbook is getting localized, coming out later this year.

9781927925584.jpg

https://wordery.com/shin-megami-tensei-official-artworks-iv-atlus-9781927925584

Great news, I've paged through it at the import shop and even if the art isn't my favorite it looked like it had lots of great info. Hopefully this localization means good things for future books like the Deluxe 30 Year Anniversary Megami Tensei Collection Bible Kaneko has definitely definitely been working on in secret all these years.

neoemonk

As my Devil Survivor play through runs down I have to decide what to play next. I have Nocturne and Soul Hackers as candidates. I've played Nocturne up to the Thor fight before but I repurchased it digitally so I will be starting over. Thoughts?

Great news, I've paged through it at the import shop and even if the art isn't my favorite it looked like it had lots of great info. Hopefully this localization means good things for future books like the Deluxe 30 Year Anniversary Megami Tensei Collection Bible Kaneko has definitely definitely been working on in secret all these years.

I wasn't a huge fan of SMT IV as well but yeah I also want to read info and stuff.

There a 30 year anniversary art book that Kaneko is working on?!?!

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'd like the kind people in this thread who convinced me to use the back-upper chip in Soul Hackers. If I had to depend on save terminals I would have given up on this MOTHERFUCKING GAME by now.

I'm at the
Amami Monolith
and I am getting killed constantly. MC is perpetually getting poisoned, petrified, or mudo'd. You really can't switch off in this game, when regular encounters are pulling out cross slash in the first turn and taking out my entire front line.

I don't think I've ever been this frustrated playing an RPG in my life.

I do really love the music in the intro sequence though.

As my Devil Survivor play through runs down I have to decide what to play next. I have Nocturne and Soul Hackers as candidates. I've played Nocturne up to the Thor fight before but I repurchased it digitally so I will be starting over. Thoughts?

Nocturne is the pinnacle of the franchise so...
I have a soft spot for SH, it's really great, but get back to Nocturne asap, I mean, it's Nocturne.

neoemonk

Naoya
is kind of a jerk. End of day 5. Looking forward to the end of day 6. Hope it doesn't have me pulling my hair out.

I had 38 Chakra drops when I started that fight. I left with 9. So I waited till full Kagatsuchi to start the fight then when the second phase kicked in and he Dekunda-ed I switched to White Rider for his Prominence, Hell Biker because he has a skill that makes him crit for every physical on Full Kagatsuchi and Daisoujou for the Meditation/Prayer combo. That was a looooong fight.

Yeah I really did not like that fight. He had way too much HP and it just got really repetitive for like the last 15 minutes of the fight. The 5th Kalpa and the fight there more than makes up for it since its probably my favorite/second favorite fight in the game.

Nocturne.

Play Nocturne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Digital_Devil_Saga
Atlus announced Shin Megami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga will be HD Collection along with Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2, Devil Summoner 1 & 2, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, Persona 2 and Shin Megami Tensei: Persona on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita.
This gave me a chuckle.

I hope no one believes it.

I was gonna post my thoughts on both SMTI and SMTII when I finish both of them, but
Lucifer
is being a pain in II, so I'll do it now.

SMTI has gotten me into first person dungeon crawling. The somewhat complex mazes and designs are really cool. The random encounter system in dungeons is nice and efficent that seemed to transition smoothly. The story was really cool and the atmosphere was amazing.
The pity scene after the Diamond Realm
caught me by surprised at how fucked was. So far, it's up there in one of my favorite games.
The ending song got me all teary eyed. Such a satisfying ending.

SMTII was not as good as I, but it was still pretty good.
The upgrades that you get from Steven now and then was a lot more, but really helped out the utility.
I was really surprised at how some of the choices affected your alignment.
Not naming the characters really skewed me towards Law.
How you deal with Daleth was really interesting.
The out of nowhere questionaire at the Center was really good.
I don't like the fortune teller shop since it really feels like your relient on it most of the game. I miss the feeling in SMT1
post timeskip
where your mostly
wandering around doing stuff
SMTII is a pretty solid game up to where I'm at.
Lucifer so god damn frustrating. I don't know if he's a good boss or not...

neoemonk

Just got done with my first attempt at Belial in Devil Survivor and he wiped the floor with me. My team is between levels 38 and 43 and I just couldn't deal enough damage, even without the other demons healing. I'm going to work on skill crack in the available free battle and see if I can't piece something together but that fight wasn't even competitive.

Yeah I really did not like that fight. He had way too much HP and it just got really repetitive for like the last 15 minutes of the fight. The 5th Kalpa and the fight there more than makes up for it since its probably my favorite/second favorite fight in the game.

Nocturne.

Play Nocturne.

Dante using Rebellion to finish off Metatron was the hypest moment of the entire game for me. It was so satisfying. And now Ahriman is kicking my ass.

neoemonk

Belial down. Took Yuzu path for quickest route to NG+. Loki crushed me. Death bound was too much for my squads. More skill cracks coming up.

Shiina

I wonder how many people have actually experienced Naoya or Amane's paths on a vanilla file.

o/

Okuninushi
took me like two hours but I actually managed to beat him on my first attempt. I was ready to give up and reset like 3 or 4 times but somehow pulled through.

I wonder how many people have actually experienced Naoya or Amane's paths on a vanilla file.

Naoya's was the first route I took in Overclocked, although not sure if that counts, since I played the original to death. It's not too bad, you just need to make sure to conserve mp.

neoemonk

I had three choices so I hit up the Internet to see the pros and cons. Typically in SMT I have a heart full of neutrality anyway. I love and hate this game and need to finish it though. I went from getting my ass kicked to coasting to getting my ass kicked again. Belial took me several battles and Loki picked me apart and I'm honestly just tired of getting my ass kicked. I've basically had to skill grind for a little while to be able to win some of these fights.

For the record, I went with Naoya's route first in the original (haven't done overclocked). I had actually only unlocked Yuzu and Naoya's route, and I had already heard that Naoya's route was pretty tough, while Yuzu's was the "wow you sucked, here you go" route. I wanted the challenge so it was a no brainer for me.

So I beat Nocturne on normal, Ahriman was clutch, Noah and Baal Avatar went down like punk bitches, I had a few close calls with Kagatsuchi but he wasn't too bad (Freikugel OP plz nvr nerf) and Lucifer was tense as fuck when he decided to use Dekunda and the one of his special attacks right after but overall debilitate+Mediarahan+Freikugel carried me to victory. It probably would've went faster if I used buffs but I was too scurred to change the strategy that seemed to be working.

Weiss

Banned
I did Naoya's route my first playthrough in Overclocked. It's tied with Atsuro's route as my favourite. One of the most compelling Chaos paths in the series.

And then there was the fanfic-tier garbage that was his 8th Day.

cj_iwakura

I did Naoya's route my first playthrough in Overclocked. It's tied with Atsuro's route as my favourite. One of the most compelling Chaos paths in the series.

And then there was the fanfic-tier garbage that was his 8th Day.

MC's
demon overlord form
was incredible, though.

Top Bottom