• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

neoemonk

The "secret" to Loki was to apparently just get my MC with 37 STR, phys boost, and pierce to hit him with Deathbound and watch him go down in one turn. I just had to survive long enough to get to take a shot at him and down he went.

I got Naoya (light Chaos) on my first run through Overclocked.

I've replayed the route from scratch a few times and had one playthrough where I fucking demolished everything, so it's certainly possible, though it's usually difficult.

squadr0n

Is there a clear choice as to which main line MegaTen game people should play if they really like P3Fes and P4G? If not a clear choice, what is the recommended route? Nocturne seems like it has a great battle system but not enough story to fill in what's going on in the series.

If I were to recommend someone try out another game after they liked the Persona series, where would you point them? Someone that prefers story over lots of battles.

Is there a clear choice as to which main line MegaTen game people should play if they really like P3Fes and P4G? If not a clear choice, what is the recommended route? Nocturne seems like it has a great battle system but not enough story to fill in what's going on in the series.

If I were to recommend someone try out another game after they liked the Persona series, where would you point them?

The answer is always Nocturne because it's goddamn Nocturne.

Seriously though, do you really mean mainline or just non-Persona? Because I was going to say DDS; it has a battle system almost identical to Nocturne's, but more story and a fixed cast.

There isn't a definite choice though; Persona is pretty different in atmosphere to the rest of MegaTen, so you can never be sure which other areas someone might like most.

Edit: Prefers story? Persona has a higher percentage of story than anything else you'll find here; maybe DDS and Devil Survivor would be next. SMTIV is also heavier in the story department than most mainline games, but it's piecemeal; you have to poke around the world to find a lot of it, it isn't all delivered to you.

squadr0n

Spin offs would be fine too, I would recommend Soul Hackers or maybe DDS as well. It just doesn't seem there's a great choice for a entrance to the main storyline. Nocturne takes place after the world has already ended and SMTIV is set even further past that where the world has begun to move on and forget.

Spin offs would be fine too, I would recommend Soul Hackers or maybe DDS as well. It just doesn't seem there's a great choice for a entrance to the main storyline. Nocturne takes place after the world has already ended and SMTIV is set even further past that where the world has begun to move on and forget.
I don't think SMT1/2 knowledge is really needed to enjoy Nocturne's story. People might scoff at Nocturne's fairly 'minimalist' story, but it's pretty amazing IMO. I like it for more than being an amazing dungeon crawl with an amazing battle system.

DDS is more accessible though.

NeonZ

I really wouldn't recommend Nocturne if he thinks the lack of story is going to bother him.

I wonder how many people have actually experienced Naoya or Amane's paths on a vanilla file.

I took Amane's route. Oddly, I think my biggest wall was Belberith's battle. I had to stop and grind there for a while just to get higher levels to unlock new demons. Aside from that, I didn't have many problems.

neoemonk

I tried the last battle of Yuzu's route. Thought it was going well, and then Amane and Izuna showed up. Amane brought all the demons back and the Angels quickly drained all my MP, leaving me with only physical attacks to try to take down Izuna (making it impossible). They made quick work of me. I'll probably have to grind for a while to get some Reflect/Null Physical demons and then hang out near where they enter the field now that I know they are coming.

Weiss

Banned
MC's
demon overlord form
was incredible, though.

Sure that was cool, but
the complete murder of any moral ambiguity in the plot and the elevation of Naoya from manipulative, murderous schemer to kawaii older brother
kind of totally killed everything I loved about Devil Survivor. Yuzu's 8th Day was comically awful, but at least Amane's 8th Day is probably the best written Law Path in the entire series.

neoemonk

Yuzu's final fight on Day 7 wasn't pretty but I beat it by getting lucky with a few deathbound hits on Amane wiping her out and then doing some mid-battle demon swapping to beat the Angels. I had a party at level 49 and 50 at the end. Thought I was going to have to grind a while but the last free battle gave pitiful experience. Might do NG+ instead of jumping into Nocturne. Not ready for this game to be done.

If I were to recommend someone try out another game after they liked the Persona series, where would you point them? Someone that prefers story over lots of battles.

Devil Survivor or Digital Devil Saga for character/story focused megaten games, SMT4 if you wanna jump into mainline SMT.

As someone who also prefers story over gameplay in RPGs, megaten is the big exception. The gameplay in this series, especially mainline SMT, is super addicting and has great design with Nocturne being the highlight of it.

None of the megaten games have as much character focus and cutscenes as Persona, but very few RPGs do in general. Also, if you havent yet, highly recommended the persona 2 dualogy. They're my favorite persona games in the series.

Fevaweva

Bros, I am stuck! I am playing Shin Megami Tensei 4 on my 3DS and I
have to look for the Black Saumari in Jaruku Bookstore and I can't find it anywhere. When I good to where I think it is, there is some fire blocking my way and a woman says I need the Jirae Amulet or something.
I have no idea where that is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So I like to play my games through the main story and almost always just barely dabble in side-quests a tiny bit.

Playing SMTIV and ended up doing the neutral path. Just found out I'm being forced to do 18 stupid side quests to progress the main story. WTF, why.

They all sound like boring fetch quests. Talk about artificially lengthening the game. I think I'm just gonna watch a Let's Play for the rest of the game on YouTube.

cj_iwakura

So I like to play my games through the main story and almost always just barely dabble in side-quests a tiny bit.

Playing SMTIV and ended up doing the neutral path. Just found out I'm being forced to do 18 stupid side quests to progress the main story. WTF, why.

They all sound like boring fetch quests. Talk about artificially lengthening the game. I think I'm just gonna watch a Let's Play for the rest of the game on YouTube.

They all have story to them, see it through. Watching it played for you is a killer.

FluxWaveZ

There's this thing about a Shin Megami Tensei escape game CD or something. Haven't looked into what it actually is. (Famitsu)

61BXXdc7QwL.jpg

kama

So, what is the deal with the English Android version of SMT1? The game has been out on iOS for over a year now, has ATLUS given any updates since then about releasing it on Android?

Seda

So, what is the deal with the English Android version of SMT1? The game has been out on iOS for over a year now, has ATLUS given any updates since then about releasing it on Android?

Pretty sure it was never announced for Android.

Also pretty sure this is the most recent time the game has been brought up at all.

Last year saw the surprise release of Shin Megami Tensei 1 for iOS. This is the only official translation of the game. On the possibility of Shin Megami Tensei II or if…, Nich says: “I was happy to work on it. Its possible for those two but currently nothing is planned.”

http://www.godisageek.com/2015/04/atlus-interview-localisation-special/

Also note Nich is no longer at Atlus.

squadr0n

Hey SMTGaf, I have a question for Soul Hackers 3DS.

Im about 3-4 hours in and I have no idea still what MAG (Magnitite?) is used for. I have access to the Organic Energy Association and there I can buy or sell Mag but I not sure when to buy or when to sell?

I know Demons need it but not sure why and what Its used for. Does anyone have any good tips for when I need to buy or sell or even what is a good amount to have at all times?

For a good idea of where im at, spoilers follow:
I just picked up the dolly at the frozen warehouse. Just returned it to Victor.
Think it was the first dungeon.

2nd question, What is a Zoma and what is so special about it during fusion?

cj_iwakura

Hey SMTGaf, I have a question for Soul Hackers 3DS.

Im about 3-4 hours in and I have no idea still what MAG (Magnitite?) is used for. I have access to the Organic Energy Association and there I can buy or sell Mag but I not sure when to buy or when to sell?

I know Demons need it but not sure why and what Its used for. Does anyone have any good tips for when I need to buy or sell or even what is a good amount to have at all times?

For a good idea of where im at, spoilers follow:
I just picked up the dolly at the frozen warehouse. Just returned it to Victor.
Think it was the first dungeon.

2nd question, What is a Zoma and what is so special about it during fusion?

MAG is basically demon currency. It depletes when you have them in your team, and it costs MAG to summon them. It costs more if you aren't aligned with them, and it drains their HP if you run out. It is also a BROKEN way to earn mad cash thanks to the OEA.

Zoma is a free demon that never costs MAG. I suggest making a support demon out of it(basic heals, buffs/debuffs).

jonjonaug

MAG is basically demon currency. It depletes when you have them in your team, and it costs MAG to summon them. It costs more if you aren't aligned with them, and it drains their HP if you run out. It is also a BROKEN way to earn mad cash thanks to the OEA.

Zoma is a free demon that never costs MAG. I suggest making a support demon out of it(basic heals, buffs/debuffs).

To add: You'll need more MAG in your bank as you go through the game, since more powerful demons eat up more MAG with every step. Because of this it's a good idea to not be running around with a full party of demons at all times. You can use the Zoma (and it's probably advisable to), but I never bothered with it when going through the game.

If you find yourself running very dangerously low on MAG, keep in mind that if you switch the game to Easy mode the rate that MAG is used will decrease. You can abuse this to grind out MAG and/or money faster if you want.

EDIT: Reading the OP, shouldn't the official release of SMT 1 be listed in there?

Teknoman

So thoughts on Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei?

And I guess best way to play SMT I and II is the SFC translations if you dont have access to iOS?

cj_iwakura

In case anyone was wondering(unlikely) :

Gemini said:
Pretty much dead at this point. EN2 will be my last patch released, will probably leave Little Princess to somebody interested and capable to give it the treatment it deserves.

wellthereitis.gif

Not about to let Tom's effort go to waste, so I'll see what can be done.

I stumbled across the Devil Children manga covers today while I was searching other Megaten stuff.

$_57.JPG

Has anyone picked these up? Is the manga art of the same quality? I really just wanna pick these up on the covers alone.

Hikami

First post here I think, just wanted to share some thoughts on SMT IV. (I'm ~10 hours in)

So I've played most of the Persona games and both Devil Survivor games..
SMT IV was my first time trying a mainline title though.

I was kinda disappointed at first since it seemed like it was going to be a P3P kind of thing where you can only navigate via menus and then there only being one dungeon. Just reached Tokyo though and now I'm having a lot of fun with the game.
when I'm not dying anyways

I've been avoiding Nocturne since the art style doesn't really look appealing to me but, I might actually check it out later now when I'm done with IV.

First post here I think, just wanted to share some thoughts on SMT IV. (I'm ~10 hours in)

So I've played most of the Persona games and both Devil Survivor games..
SMT IV was my first time trying a mainline title though.

I was kinda disappointed at first since it seemed like it was going to be a P3P kind of thing where you can only navigate via menus and the only dungeon was Naraku. Just reached Tokyo though and now I'm having a lot of fun with the game.
when I'm not dying anyways

I've been avoiding Nocturne since the art style doesn't really look appealing to me but, I might actually check it out later now when I'm done with IV.

Definitely check out Nocturne. It's an absolute masterpiece. I'm sure the art style will click with you once you start playing it, everything just comes together perfectly when you actually experience it.

If you guys want the DemiChildren Manga to get localized you guys should tweet at @KevinFrane <-- guy that did the translation for Quantum Devil Saga 1 Avatar Tuner and is currently working on Vol. 2 and tweet at the publisher @bentobooks to show interest :)

Last thing I heard was that they were quite pleased with Volume 1 sales.

randomkid

This is pretty cool, someone named Tom seems to have translated and annotated the beginning of the Japanese cell phone sequel to Soul Hackers, Soul Hackers Intruder.

This video shows off a bit of the battle system, which seems like it could have been neat with the almost Splatoon-like field control stuff if it wasn't so slow.

Pretty invaluable preservation here in any case!

Jisgsaw

I've been avoiding Nocturne since the art style doesn't really look appealing

I know, tastes and all that, but... dunno, imo it's one of, if not the, best aesthetics in video game history, everything fits nicely together.
And a bit strange to hear that when most of the demon designs and models in Persona (3&4) and devil survivor come straight up from nocturne.

So, quick question to those who played older SMT games: I pretty much played every SMT and spin off released since Nocturne.
What would be the best pre-Nocturne SMT in your opinion? I was going to start SMT II eventually, should I do SMT I first, or won't I miss much?

randomkid

SMT2 introduced skill inheritance and has a pretty crazy story with some neat moments, but it's also got a lot of backtracking and pacing issues and it unfortunately became less impressive to me after I discovered firsthand how much it cribbed from MT2, which is really wonderful and playable in English now through the fan translation of Old Testament. But I still like the game a lot and it's something that should be played by any Megaten fan.

SMT1 is one of my favorites, it has amazing atmosphere and definitely shouldn't be skipped, you can pick up a solid version of the game in English off iOS, we even had a little OT for it.

Hikami

I know, tastes and all that, but... dunno, imo it's one of, if not the, best aesthetics in video game history, everything fits nicely together.
And a bit strange to hear that when most of the demon designs and models in Persona (3&4) and devil survivor come straight up from nocturne.

I love the demon designs, the human ones will take some getting used to though.
I know I'll definitely be checking it out though. I'm 30 hours into SMT IV now and loving it, regret not checking out the main games earlier.

Top Bottom