• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Teknoman

Soon...

CJmVX-TUsAA_76V.png
CJh6LU-UcAE6VPv.png

CJh3tVRUYAEEQ7n.png
CJhzmLxUEAAOZ-p.png

Aw yeah. Screenshots of the enemies here have always been interesting.

JCX

I'm new to the series, starting with SMT IV. Question about the difficulty slider. If I use it on an early boss, is it reasonable to expect that I'll need to play the entire game on easier difficulty, or is it doable to switch back and forth?

I'm new to the series, starting with SMT IV. Question about the difficulty slider. If I use it on an early boss, is it reasonable to expect that I'll need to play the entire game on easier difficulty, or is it doable to switch back and forth?

The beginning of the game is notoriously difficult, even for some of the vets of the series. If you find it getting too rough early on, you can switch to easier and still be ok to switch back to harder later on.

Hikami

Finished SMT IV, it's probably my favorite 3DS game now.

Going to need to take a break and play something else though before I play Nocturne. The stuff needed to get the Neutral ending was pretty frustrating.

Golnei

I always wind up neutral in SMT...or anything when answering questions or making natural decisions.

I usually tend towards making decisions in that direction as well; though in most games it doesn't usually result in the neutral route. I'll never forget getting the shit ending the first time through Nocturne - if True Demon didn't exist, I might have dropped the series forever.

JCX

The beginning of the game is notoriously difficult, even for some of the vets of the series. If you find it getting too rough early on, you can switch to easier and still be ok to switch back to harder later on.

Ah thanks, good to know I wasn't the only scrub getting wrecked by
Minotaur

Ah thanks, good to know I wasn't the only scrub getting wrecked by
Minotaur

Minotaur
is definitely the "git gud" boss of the game. Demons that use bufu and demons that null agi are definitely the way to go. Take advantage of that press turn system.

Jisgsaw

Minotaur
is definitely the "git gud" boss of the game. Demons that use bufu and demons that null agi are definitely the way to go. Take advantage of that press turn system.

Meh, I really disliked this fight because it was so much lucked based, what with
Minotaur using primarily physical attack with, apparently, insane crit chances, and your ally that would kindly attack him with agi from time to time... The smirk making this all the more luck based, as he could literally chain you to death with 4 crits in a row...

brinstar

I'm playing Digital Devil Saga for the first time, and this game is pretty sweet. I'm liking the world they've got set up here, even if they just kind of throw you into it with little explanation.

Yeah I'm in the final dungeon of DDS and sadly, my all physical team is having problems vs. a boss who is strong against it. :/ Awesome game though.

Teknoman

I'm playing Digital Devil Saga for the first time, and this game is pretty sweet. I'm liking the world they've got set up here, even if they just kind of throw you into it with little explanation.

You'll find out even more by the end and then when you jump into DDS2.

So I sort of gave up on SMT IV. Is it worth trying to get to the end game and play through this one?

I usually like the late game monsters you can fuse in SMT games... I just found the encounter rate way too high and the world map hard to navigate in this game.

cj_iwakura

So I sort of gave up on SMT IV. Is it worth trying to get to the end game and play through this one?

I usually like the late game monsters you can fuse in SMT games... I just found the encounter rate way too high and the world map hard to navigate in this game.

Uh, define worth it? It depends on how far along you are. Frankly the endings are pretty dull, but there are a few interesting events near the end.

I'm only about 15 hours into it. When I got to the world map is when I started getting lost and frustrated. I wish it was one main dungeon like Persona games. That makes it easier.

Not sure how to define "worth it." Maybe a good sense of accomplishment.

cj_iwakura

I'm only about 15 hours into it. When I got to the world map is when I started getting lost and frustrated. I wish it was one main dungeon like Persona games. That makes it easier.

Not sure how to define "worth it." Maybe a good sense of accomplishment.

Oh, you'll get that. The endgame dungeons are a sight to see. I love the Chaos dungeon's music.

Do you have estoma sword yet?
As for the map, just keep your camera pointed north. Moving it around is what makes the world map disorienting.

I don't know what the estoma sword is...

I just found the map hard to look at and the random encounters bugged me.

I might start the game from the very beginning again just for fun.

Hikami

I don't know what the estoma sword is...
It's a skill that some demons get that lets you avoid encounters with lower level enemies. On the world map, you could just walk over demons and not initiate any battles. While in a dungeon you could just hit demons and they'd disappear.

Do you have estoma sword yet?
As for the map, just keep your camera pointed north. Moving it around is what makes the world map disorienting.

I agree with the world map thing. I can see where the confusion comes from with the map (they could have labeled it more), but I personally only had a couple of times where I got lost, whereas it seemed to be a frequent thing for most players. It helps that you generally only go to minor districts for some sidequests. Most of the important stuff (and even sidequests) happen in and near the areas that have teleportors.

randomkid

I'm playing DemiKids Dark Version because I've run out of localized Megaten RPGs to play while waiting for the If... fan release. It's interesting to see that apparently you can freely select your inheritable skills like in SMT4, the problem is that I can't figure out how to check out the fusion chart for more than 4 demons at a time, which makes checking fusion possibilities crazy tedious. Does it ever open up? Please tell me that this opens up!

cj_iwakura

I'm playing DemiKids Dark Version because I've run out of localized Megaten RPGs to play while waiting for the If... fan release. It's interesting to see that apparently you can freely select your inheritable skills like in SMT4, the problem is that I can't figure out how to check out the fusion chart for more than 4 demons at a time, which makes checking fusion possibilities crazy tedious. Does it ever open up? Please tell me that this opens up!

It took you this long? It's a great game.

I honestly can't recall, though.

Koppai

I guess I can't just get into the Devil Survivor games, selling Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker for $40 shipped. I kind of want SMT4 back, I liked it a lot better.

cj_iwakura

I guess I can't just get into the Devil Survivor games, selling Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker for $40 shipped. I kind of want SMT4 back, I liked it a lot better.

Core games are always the best. Though I really enjoyed the DS games, especially the first one. It could have been SMTIV with a tone like that.

I found Devil Survivor 1 significantly better than SMT IV. Not even close.

By the way, I'm totally back into DDS now and attempted to kill Beelzebub Human yesterday but failed on my first try. Looks like I gotta beat him first to access that Titania Hallway farm spot in order for my team to grind magic spells.

Also, I just read about the
Demi Fiend
optional boss lmao.

God, I love SMT. I've even been browsing the Megaten Subreddit lately but there sure are lot of elitists douchebags around.

cj_iwakura

I found Devil Survivor 1 significantly better than SMT IV. Not even close.

By the way, I'm totally back into DDS now and attempted to kill Beelzebub Human yesterday but failed on my first try. Looks like I gotta beat him first to access that Titania Hallway farm spot in order for my team to grind magic spells.

Also, I just read about the
Demi Fiend
optional boss lmao.

God, I love SMT. I've even been browsing the Megaten Subreddit lately but there sure are lot of elitists douchebags around.

Yeah, it happens. You should see /smtg. (Don't. I've found great art there, though.)

Also, uber bosses are the most fun part. Kinda sad no one picked up on that low level challenge thread I made... I still think I have the record on DDS2's Satan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouDg4_PhvY4

All right, I managed to beat Human Beelzebub and then Vasuki. DDS is a really fantastic game. I'll farm the Titania Hallway once I get Insatiable on the MC.

Beelzebub was really tough though. :/

Capra

So I just started playing IV yesterday - my first SMT game. I'd heard about how the early game is supposed to be unforgivably hard, but after figuring out the ins and outs of Press Turn I'm wondering how many people bothered to learn it at all. I've got a magic-build PC with nearly every element of skill and I've made a point to get demons with great magic skills, and we're pretty much wrecking everything in sight. I actually took out what I'm assuming is supposed to be the first big boss - Alraune - before she could even attack. Really, if you take the time to get good demons and take advantage of the battle system this game seems really, really manageable.

Pretty soon I'll be able to fuse Megaten Fortuna, which I'm assuming should be a pretty good demon. Not sure how long it'll take me to reach Minotaur though, which I know is supposed to be this game's "git gud" moment so maybe I'll pay for my hubris soon. We'll see.

Jisgsaw

So I just started playing IV yesterday - my first SMT game. I'd heard about how the early game is supposed to be unforgivably hard, but after figuring out the ins and outs of Press Turn I'm wondering how many people bothered to learn it at all. I've got a magic-build PC with nearly every element of skill and I've made a point to get demons with great magic skills

The hard (or annoying, if you play it safe) part is getting to that point.
Until you have a varied roaster and a lot of different skills (which takes time to get), you're a sitting duck and forced to play ultra defensive.
You may also be quite a bit overleveled if you're already lvl 11 at that point iirc ( I was lv 12-13 against Minotaur).

Pretty soon I'll be able to fuse Megaten Fortuna, which I'm assuming should be a pretty good demon. Not sure how long it'll take me to reach Minotaur though, which I know is supposed to be this game's "git gud" moment so maybe I'll pay for my hubris soon. We'll see.

IMO, he's not a "git gud" moment, he's a "git lucky" moment, sadly.
But yeah, once you're past him and maybe the boss after him, you're done with any kind of challenge for quite a long time.

Top Bottom