• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

which reminds me, fairly recently I noticed that the Japanese SMT If... had been removed from the English app store. Not sure when it was actually removed, but SMT I was removed at some point before it's official English release.

Although of course If... could have been removed for any other reason too, but SMT II is still up.

cj_iwakura

which reminds me, fairly recently I noticed that the Japanese SMT If... had been removed from the English app store. Not sure when it was actually removed, but SMT I was removed at some point before it's official English release.

Although of course If... could have been removed for any other reason too.

Kind of wish Atlus USA had done that rather than the games that had been fan translated, but I'm glad they did 1 nonetheless.

Hylian7

Kind of wish Atlus USA had done that rather than the games that had been fan translated, but I'm glad they did 1 nonetheless.

Honestly I want all of what I call the "lost old SMT trilogy": SMT1, SMT2, and SMT if...

I really want to give Atlus money for these games.

brinstar

Yeah. It's a bummer that these games aren't in English. And it's not like they're not on modern platforms. I'm pretty sure they're even on Wii U in Japan lol

Majestad

Banned
Are there any good retrospective videos of the SMT series? I haven't found a good one lime there is for other franchises. It sucks because there's so much to cover.

PK Gaming

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Fuck these demons who take my shit and bounces! These muthafucka's!

I already don't like the negotiating parts of this game. Please tell me this shit gets better as my luck raises?

I'm basically at the beginning so the shit I do have I really need and them taking it and bouncing is getting under my skin. I'm about to unalive a race of demons.

You eventually get strong enough to a point where you can tell demons to fuck off and they'll still join you

Sooooooooooooooo gratifying

squadr0n

Playing through SMT IV for the first time and im really enjoying it so far. Just got to Shinjuku, think im about half way? Are there any specific demons I should be trying to find or fuse around level 20? Ive heard that there are a few that make the game a little easier that have light/dark/almighty(?) attacks.

Ive seen some complaints about the ability to save anywhere makes the game too easy. But to be honest as a mobile game I think it suits my play style really well. I like to play in chunks and when I need to take a break I like to know I wont loose a shit ton of progress because of the save locations. For someone like me it really helps when I only have a few moments to play at any given time. I also just started Devil Summoner 2 and I know that if I need to take a break I have to have time to run back and save which takes alot of time with all the random encounters. I never had a problem with randoms until I tried to get through the first puzzle dungeon in this game lol. Every 3 feet im encountering fights it seems.

jonjonaug

Playing through SMT IV for the first time and im really enjoying it so far. Just got to Shinjuku, think im about half way? Are there any specific demons I should be trying to find or fuse around level 20? Ive heard that there are a few that make the game a little easier that have light/dark/almighty(?) attacks.

SMT IV has so many demons in it that it's difficult to say that there are any "must have" demons. There's a ton of useful ones no matter where you are in the game.

Hylian7

SMT IV has so many demons in it that it's difficult to say that there are any "must have" demons. There's a ton of useful ones no matter where you are in the game.
I'd argue Alice was in the "must have" category. I couldn't get past King Kenji without her.

squadr0n

Are there any good retrospective videos of the SMT series? I haven't found a good one lime there is for other franchises. It sucks because there's so much to cover.

Havent found any good videos. There was a good video on youtube of someone trying to show the SMT timeline but I wouldnt call it a Retrospective. Here is a good website though that no video could even come close too.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten.htm

Tizoc

Anyone else feel like SMT's level up system is rather...restrictive? You level up, you get 1 Point, put it in a stat.
Now I only beat SMT4 to completion but the old games make it feel like I should only ever focus on 1 stat and in each game there are particular stats that you should put them in, ignoring all other stats.

hi smt gaf!
been playing nocturne and having a blast with it. just a quick question:
the skill Dekunda says that it removes all "-nda" effects. does that mean that it does NOT remove the debuffs from fog breath and war cry?

Anyone else feel like SMT's level up system is rather...restrictive? You level up, you get 1 Point, put it in a stat.
Now I only beat SMT4 to completion but the old games make it feel like I should only ever focus on 1 stat and in each game there are particular stats that you should put them in, ignoring all other stats.

I kinda felt like this, but the stats themselves only go up to 40 in some of those, so it's still balanced, it just has a different skin on it.

hi smt gaf!
been playing nocturne and having a blast with it. just a quick question:
the skill Dekunda says that it removes all "-nda" effects. does that mean that it does NOT remove the debuffs from fog breath and war cry?

It removes those, too. It removes all debuffs.

Fog Breath is just Sukunda x2; War Cry is just Tarunda + Rakunda.

Hylian7

ROFL @ that picture. I love it.

I don't think the level up system is restrictive really. I mean levels are fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of the game. You should generally have some kind of build on your head of what stats you need.

That said though, I do hate how misleading it is in the old games where any magic is completely useless on the protagonist because he can't get any spells. I know in those games, magic also makes you take less magic damage, but is still fairly useless as you would rather just resist, reflect, or kill rather than build stats for it.

When I first started Soul Hackers, I made the mistake of putting some of my starting points in Int and Magic, quickly finding out that was a waste. It's like swimming in Deus Ex.

jonjonaug

I kinda felt like this, but the stats themselves only go up to 40 in some of those, so it's still balanced, it just has a different skin on it.

It removes those, too. It removes all debuffs.

Fog Breath is just Sukunda x2; War Cry is just Tarunda + Rakunda.

War Cry is Tarunda x2. Taunt is Rakunda x2 and Tarukaja x2 on the enemy. There is no Rakunda x2 in Nocturne (it would be in later games as "Acid Breath").

Tizoc

That reminds me, what are the origins of spell names in SMT?
Zio, Dia, Agi, Bufu
Where do they originate from?

Some of the explanations are a bit far-fetched. "Zio" is much closer to Zeus than Týr, and that also explains the connection to lightning.

Code:
[B]Latin[/B]			Mars	Mercurius	Jupiter
[B]Old High German[/B]		Zio	Wuotan		Donar
[B]Old Norse[/B]		Týr	Odinn		Thôrr
[B]Indian[/B]			Siva	Brahma		Vishnus

squadr0n

Devil Survivor Overclocked is on sale for 9.99 on US 3DS e-shop until 10/20. In case you hadn't seen already.

Now I wait for Atlus to have another PSN sale for DDS2. Please update this thread next time they do.

brinstar

Has anyone pre-ordered the Shin Megami Tensei IV artbook from Udon? It says it was supposed to come out on the 15th, but mine still hasn't shipped yet.

Tizoc

One of these Mondays I'm gonna make a thread to share the great and underappreciated art of Kaneko Kazuma to GAF-
tumblr_nj4027axA41sujjyio1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nj4027axA41sujjyio2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nj4027axA41sujjyio3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nj4027axA41sujjyio4_1280.jpg
Who's this one BTW?
tumblr_nj4027axA41sujjyio5_1280.jpg

Okay,
Abaddon
is owning me in DDS2 on hard mode (imported DDS1 safe file). I don't think I've ever gotten close to killing him. I don't even mind grinding but stacking up karma points takes literally forever, damn...

Okay,
Abaddon
is owning me in DDS2 on hard mode (imported DDS1 safe file). I don't think I've ever gotten close to killing him. I don't even mind grinding but stacking up karma points takes literally forever, damn...

The one story boss I always struggle a little with, even on replays. He's just a pain in the ass to deal with.

So I just made it to Porgatorium in SMTIV.

How much longer do I have? It's starting to drag.

I love and adore the atmosphere of this game but something feels off. It's doesn't stack up to Strange Journey in my opinion.

Hylian7

So I just made it to Porgatorium in SMTIV.

How much longer do I have? It's starting to drag.

I love and adore the atmosphere of this game but something feels off. It's doesn't stack up to Strange Journey in my opinion.

Either at the end or right near it depending on which ending you are doing.

Either at the end or right near it depending on which ending you are doing.

Chaos ending. I always go chaos ending. It would've been fine if a couple of "meh" things and lackluster results from the "meh" things didn't happen in the story.

I lost interest because of what's happened that playing it feels like a chore. Where as a few cool things happened in strange journey and I was sad knowing the story came to an end.

I played Porgatorium up until I got up to some dude with a move called Light Wings (?) And took a break because I couldn't figure out the trick to beating him the first couple of tries and I have a underwhelming partner.

Hylian7

Chaos ending. I always go chaos ending. It would've been fine if a couple of "meh" things and lackluster results from the "meh" things didn't happen in the story.

I lost interest because of what's happened that playing it feels like a chore. Where as a few cool things happened in strange journey and I was sad knowing the story came to an end.

I played Porgatorium up until I got up to some dude with a move called Light Wings (?) And took a break because I couldn't figure out the trick to beating him the first couple of tries and I have a underwhelming partner.

You're pretty much at the end. Just keep going and finish it.

I can't bring myself to play Kyuuyaku, man. I feel that number 2 would especially feel like a better experience if played on Famicom, especially because of that delicious Namcot 163 chip.

MT1 is already complete and amazing, but number 2 hasn't been touched. I decided to try and translate it. I made some pretty good progress, but encountering text compression has made me drop the project. I was hoping I could provide for myself and others gaijins a way to play MT2 on famicom but text compression goes beyond the scope of anything I know in the hacking scene.

The Intros and naming sections are done as well, as is other stuff. I don't even know how to add extra bytes to increase the text, so I was forced to compress scripts as much as possible while having them still make sense. I was ready to go all out on this I guess. I'll still wait though for someone to complete it, rather than playing KMT. Maybe the guys that did MT1 will do MT2 as well one day!

randomkid

I can't bring myself to play Kyuuyaku, man. I feel that number 2 would especially feel like a better experience if played on Famicom, especially because of that delicious Namcot 163 chip.

MT1 is already complete and amazing, but number 2 hasn't been touched. I decided to try and translate it. I made some pretty good progress, but encountering text compression has made me drop the project. I was hoping I could provide for myself and others gaijins a way to play MT2 on famicom but text compression goes beyond the scope of anything I know in the hacking scene.

The Intros and naming sections are done as well, as is other stuff. I don't even know how to add extra bytes to increase the text, so I was forced to compress scripts as much as possible while having them still make sense. I was ready to go all out on this I guess. I'll still wait though for someone to complete it, rather than playing KMT. Maybe the guys that did MT1 will do MT2 as well one day!

your username is terrible but I love your taste! And yeah, that script is certainly ... terse, but I'd love to see someone take a stab at MT2 Famicom. That soundtrack and the weirder visual style deserve to be experienced by everyone.

Tizoc

Look I'm just saying Atlus
SMT1 has a classic western RPG vibe to it, what with the first person view and all
Just port that ish to GOG and Steam and watch the money flow in

Hylian7

Look I'm just saying Atlus
SMT1 has a classic western RPG vibe to it, what with the first person view and all
Just port that ish to GOG and Steam and watch the money flow in
Or at the very least finish the work on the localization on the Android port.

Top Bottom