• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

NeonZ

Interesting, thanks for the answers.

One other thing I realized though (regarding the counterparts of characters):
Is it possible Skins is somehow Flynn's previous incarnation? Just seems odd that we know that Skins had the sword, retrieved the info on Pluto, died to Kenji, etc.

Flynn's previous incarnation in the main world is mentioned in the neutral route's main story,
he fused with Masakado to create the ceiling and protect Tokyo, effectively dying at that point.

Hylian7

I always suspected SMTIV had some identity problems, but Eirikr just reamed it in his write-up on the game here:

http://eirikrjs.blogspot.com/2015/09/SMT-identity-crisis-final.html

Massive spoilers for every single aspect of IV, and it's eerie how spot-on the criticisms are. I enjoyed IV, but it definitely was missing something, and I think he nailed what it was.

I know I'm late on this, but this was an interesting read. I do agree with some of it, and think they are valid criticisms, but I also think it's a bit of hyperbole in my opinion. I'm replaying SMT4, and I remembered just how good I felt like it nailed the atmosphere of a Tokyo that felt more hopeless, rather than wibbly-wobbly like Nocturne. It's different, not bad or better really, but I like it. The music in the above ground areas, the blood on the ground in many places, and the general demeanor of people you see in Tokyo really gave it this feeling pretty well.

I think it's hyperbole to say it's "like the Star Wars prequel". The game really isn't that bad, and honestly is actually pretty good. There were issues I had with it, things such as
the dumb new demon designs, never seeing Jonathan or Walter in angel/demon forms, just fusing to become Merkabah/Lucifer, etc.
It seems to stick on weird moments like the thing about Isabeau going "lalalala I can't hear you", it was just a small moment of comedy that didn't really break the flow of the scene too much, and just went right back into the general tone of it. It also says there was a plot hole about the Reds, but I kind of disagree with it as the explanations for it are either there or implied. There was the question of "Why do the demons even need the Reds?" and I felt like the explanation was pretty obvious. Many demons mention they like the Reds better than humans even, but more importantly, some of the demons have different motives than the common ones, and don't necessarily care about the Reds. While the thing about where the Reds actually come from was fairly predictable from early on in the game, I think the more interesting bit was what was in the subtext. Particularly the implication that
Tayama is a pedophile, as there was that girl in the Reverse Hills that was talking about how she would get to marry Mr. Tayama.

I was kind of disappointed in Tayama's death though, as it just seemed kind of nonchalant. You come back to your world and then people are just like "Hey Tayama's dead, cool". You don't know the circumstances of it exactly, just that it happened and you weren't there. The scene toward the end of the Law & Chaos paths
where you fight Isabeau and her demons, and then she slits her own throat afterward was still fairly impactful, even with the manga being brought up again.

NeonZ

He sounds like one of the people who got into the franchise with Nocturne and see it as the basis of the series. Questioning the underground refuges and humanity's survival there is just odd considering how that element is basically taken straight from SMT I, where they didn't even have something like the Reds.

I was kind of disappointed in
Tayama's death though, as it just seemed kind of nonchalant. You come back to your world and then people are just like "Hey Tayama's dead, cool".
You don't know the circumstances of it exactly, just that it happened and you weren't there.

You get to see that if
you side with Walter and Lilith
. This is one of the points where I think SMTIV handled multiple paths badly. All of them have clear gaps in storytelling that are only filled by playing the other routes - so, none of the final segments really feel complete. Even in neutral, you're basically left with the law and chaos factions apparently just standing and waiting for their boss battles leading to very underwhelming bosses. Alongside nothing about
the Archangels and Hikaru. Jonathan and Walter only appear for the boss battles without any explanation.

One could say that it's an incentive to see the other paths, but the story branches should be able to stand up by themselves, and they just don't do that.

SMTIV is fantastic.
It's not perfect and imo not as good as Nocturne but I'm always surprised by how much some SMT fans seem to hate it.

Heh, Yoshida has SMT 1, 2, and If on his Vita.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/628431650804793344

CLijQGqUcAEghYU.jpg

You paying attention, Hardin? :p

The things I'd do...

Eirikr

He sounds like one of the people who got into the franchise with Nocturne and see it as the basis of the series. Questioning the underground refuges and humanity's survival there is just odd considering how that element is basically taken straight from SMT I, where they didn't even have something like the Reds.

Hey hey now, Nocturne may have been my first SMT game, but I have a pretty good grasp on the other games in the series, too.

SMT1 does have a Reds-like explanation, and it's the Messian and Gaean factions. The majority of the humans there are part of either faction, whether they are random NPCs or the random enemy types. (Also, just about everyone gets screwed over in the end.) It's more of a handwavey explanation, but it's also more organically integrated with the world-building.

But even a handwave would be preferable to the Reds, which are a plot device that give a very literal explanation of the world, and therefore open it to scrutiny that wouldn't be there otherwise--scrutiny that also unravels the concept itself. It wouldn't be so bad if the Reds weren't the underpinning of the whole Tokyo underground. Moreso than anything else, the Reds just expose the game's sloppy writing.

NeonZ

SMT1 does have a Reds-like explanation, and it's the Messian and Gaean factions. The majority of the humans there are part of either faction, whether they are random NPCs or the random enemy types. (Also, just about everyone gets screwed over in the end.) It's more of a handwavey explanation, but it's also more organically integrated with the world-building.

The Nocturne remark was because reading that article, it seemed like you didn't only dislike the excuses used by the game, but also the very concept they were going for. Regarding SMTI, the places with the largest number of npcs are the later locations dominated by the Gaeans and Messians, but you also get various smaller underground shelters beforehand that survived without being controlled by them. The first one you find, in post-apocalyptic Shinjuku, is even ruled by a bunch of thugs similar to the Ashura Kai. There were business, stores and even bars, and the only thing keeping order there were enforcers and one particularly strong demon working for Ozawa, the leader of the group.

The Ashura Kai keeps a similar order while having fighters that you can even meet as random encounters, a few strong demons and the Reds. It's true that Ozawa was much smaller than the Ashura Kai, which controls a large part of Tokyo, rather than a single district, but the Reds explain that difference. In spite of the Reds though, people aren't really walking on the streets of Tokyo, only in the underground shelters ruled by the Ashura Kai or Gaeans. The people you meet outside are exactly Gaeans, Ashura Kai members and a few hunters. So, there's obviously a sense that things are still dangerous in spite of any agreement.

Regarding the Reds and books, it's true that SMTIV's biggest difference in relation to the previous games, as far as the nature of the demons go, was introducing those fairly easy ways for humans to become generic demons, however, it's all still tied into the idea of thoughts shaping and creating demons, a concept that exists since at least SMTII. In SMTIV, it's even said that the expanse is shaped by those thoughts, tying everything together. The interdimensional demons aren't different in nature from the ones created on Earth itself.

The concept of humans becoming standard Demons no different from the ones coming from the Expanse is hardly new to SMTIV either. It's just the first time where pure human thought is shown to be able to trigger that transformation, but I don't think it's a big leap from what had been seen before. In SMTI, although the Chaos Hero became an unique entity after fusing with a demon, the Gaeans and Messian followers become just random standard demons once fused. There were also various standard demons in others games that were said to be humans that somehow became demons, like the Urban Terrors in Soul Hackers.

Hylian7

The Nocturne remark was because reading that article, it seemed like you didn't only dislike the excuses used by the game, but also the very concept they were going for. Regarding SMTI, the places with the largest number of npcs are the later locations dominated by the Gaeans and Messians, but you also get various smaller underground shelters beforehand that survived without being controlled by them. The first one you find, in post-apocalyptic Shinjuku, is even ruled by a bunch of thugs similar to the Ashura Kai. There were business, stores and even bars, and the only thing keeping order there were enforcers and one particularly strong demon working for Ozawa, the leader of the group.

The Ashura Kai keeps a similar order while having fighters that you can even meet as random encounters, a few strong demons and the Reds. It's true that Ozawa was much smaller than the Ashura Kai, which controls a large part of Tokyo, rather than a single district, but the Reds explain that difference. In spite of the Reds though, people aren't really walking on the streets of Tokyo, only in the underground shelters ruled by the Ashura Kai or Gaeans. The people you meet outside are exactly Gaeans, Ashura Kai members and a few hunters. So, there's obviously a sense that things are still dangerous in spite of any agreement.

Regarding the Reds and books, it's true that SMTIV's biggest difference in relation to the previous games, as far as the nature of the demons go, was introducing those fairly easy ways for humans to become generic demons, however, it's all still tied into the idea of thoughts shaping and creating demons, a concept that exists since at least SMTII. In SMTIV, it's even said that the expanse is shaped by those thoughts, tying everything together. The interdimensional demons aren't different in nature from the ones created on Earth itself.

The concept of humans becoming standard Demons no different from the ones coming from the Expanse is hardly new to SMTIV either. It's just the first time where pure human thought is shown to be able to trigger that transformation, but I don't think it's a big leap from what had been seen before. In SMTI, although the Chaos Hero became an unique entity after fusing with a demon, the Gaeans and Messian followers become just random standard demons once fused. There were also various standard demons in others games that were said to be humans that somehow became demons, like the Urban Terrors in Soul Hackers.

Yeah, there are a lot of specific demon species that support the idea that demons are a result of humanity's thoughts. Probably one of the best SMT4 examples of this was Chemtrail.

Chemtrail was one of the good new demon designs, illustrates the demon's lore without going absolutely nuts and adding details to add details a la Medusa, Lilith, or Lucifer.

"A man-made weather phenomenon that grew into an urban myth. It is thought by some to be the conspiracy of a secret society.
What appears to be simple vapor trails are actually harmful metals sprayed from airplanes. There are several theories about the reason for this, including population control through disease, destroying all living beings by cutting off sunlight, and control of the weather. Since the mass media is controlled by the culprits, the truth will never be known. It is believed that the negative energy from people who believe in this conspiracy formed the demon."
— Shin Megami Tensei IV Compendium

It's a pretty neat idea to have demons like this in the game, and Chemtrail isn't the only one, there are a ton that are of similar ideas like this. Mothman is a much older one but also originates from something similar.

I was under the impression that SMT demons = thought forms was essentially confirmed in every way except being literally stated. They need magnetite to even exist on Earth, which is human life force, which is the major reason they eat humans. SMTIV spoilers:
and why Reds are made of brains.
I haven't played SMTII, but at the end,
doesn't YHVH straight say that he'll always return as long as humanity wants him or longs for control or whatever?

Even Persona 3 and 4 (and probably 1 and 2, I can't speak to those) keep this from their parent series, with what
the final bosses are manifestations of and where Shadows and Personas come from.

It's pretty critical to the themes of humanism and "humanity is the source of its own hell" that run through the series.

Eirikr

Well, I only jumped into the conversation here because of the Nocturne comment. I wasn't going to let that stand. :p

Anyway, the game's issues with this stuff probably began during considerations over the backstory concept. Simply, how would they justify the fact that humans have lived in the Tokyo underground for 25 years? And did they even need to explicitly say why in the first place?

As we know, yes, they did, I guess because it probably would have seemed like a huge plothole if they hadn't. So we got the Ashura-kai setup that's similar to Ozawa's group (more on Ozawa below) and, of course, the Reds. I will definitely concede that the roaming Ashura-kai hordes attempt to illustrate some semblance of law in the city, but I still think the Reds cause more problems than they solve, for reasons I already exhaustively went over in the article. But it's precisely because a plot device like the Reds tries to explain the minutiae in an environment filled with supernatural beings that it ends up tongue-tied. I think the game would have been better without trying to use Reds as an explanation; trust the audience and leave certain things to the imagination.

But as far as the humans' survivability goes, I'm way less interested in the Ashura-kai or Ring of Gaea than I am the regular humans and hunters. That's why, when I looked at the world-building more closely, I found it so puzzling that relatively few of them seemed to be all that affected by their environment, one where their shelters are literally surrounded by murderous demons and monsters, where everyday they must inevitably hear blood-curdling death screams and gunfire and witness horrible gory atrocities from hunters who don't quite make it. Instead, an appealing idea for these humans is to have long-running death tournaments where large crowds want to see the losers get their throats slit, even though able-bodied hunters should be prime assets in Tokyo. (And no, I wouldn't usually consider sidequests in an analysis focusing on the main narrative, but, like I say in the article, the hunter tournament is mandated on Neutral.) It just seems counter-intuitive.

To reiterate myself again, we've never dealt with a demon invasion in real life, so we can't say for sure how people would act. I'm also not asking for something completely realistic, like this article on subjective quality of life in war-affected populations, which suggests that post-traumatic stress disorder is an issue even many years after war; SMTIV's Tokyo is certainly an ongoing warzone of sorts. It just needs to be internally consistent. The closest analogues in pop culture might be zombie movies. Consider SMTIV's Tokyo as a large scale Dawn of the Dead. Yeah, the people in the mall have their fun at first because they think they are completely safe from the zombies, but of course they are not and the situation goes south immediately. In SMTIV, not only should the Tokyo "mall" be completely looted of most things of immediate value (like food and clothing, not the various weird bits you can pick up as relics, like vibrators), its primary means of safety is a tenuous agreement (even discounting its lack of internal consistency). It's a zombie movie with unpredictable zombies, and these high stakes aren't always consistently reflected. Unfortunately, I think what the game was going for with its Tokyo ultimately precluded it from plausible consistency. However, this may just be something we have to agree to disagree on as this is already way more than I ever wanted to write about SMTIV again. :p

Something I didn't mention in the piece is Mikado's time dilation; I was going to put it as a caption but couldn't find an appropriate screenshot since few NPCs even mention it. It certainly seems like it would be a concept beginning for further explanation, but the game doesn't do that. And because of that, it's left to be something of a mystery. Which I think is good! No overwrought justification means there's nothing to potentially go sour. And, honestly, time dilation shouldn't seem particularly objectionable with everything else that goes on in the game!

But as for Ozawa, and this is unrelated to your own points, is that he doesn't just exist to be a post-apocalyptic mob boss, he's also the plot device that triggers Chaos Hero's own transformation. Because he exists primarily for the Chaos Hero's motivations, he's an organic fit within the narrative. I don't even mean in comparison to Tayama, though I do wish an element related to Tayama had more personal connections to the Samurai, i.e., the nameless Samurai guy who is held as Tayama's captive. It would have been so much more personal to have Hope as a captive, as he does absolutely nothing of value once you step foot into Tokyo. Oh well. :p

Well, first, the thoughts = shaping demons thing. I'm not really going to touch that. As the concept exists throughout the series, it's... fine. Nothing more, nothing less. It's very nebulously defined, but that's good, I think. It leaves something up to the imagination or interpretation.

Reds and books, however, do not. Also, the manner in which humans become demons in SMTIV is completely new and none of your examples are compelling.

1. Yeah, Chaos Hero becomes a "demonoid."
2. The Gaean and Messian "demons" do not count. The fact that they become compendium demons after fusion is completely gameplay-related with zero plot ramifications. But, let's say it does count-- there would still be no evidence that the resulting demons exhibit any memory or personality of the former human as in SMTIV. Still apples and oranges.
3. Those weird Devil Summoner/Soul Hackers Fouls like Urban Terror or Hooligan are certainly described as such, but they are never anything more than the demons they are: Original creations. Shitty people became images of general murderers instead of specific demons from folklore, like, say, Stolas or an Oni. They are also mere battle fodder in their respective games, unlike the plot-relevant Reds-takers in SMTIV.

Again, it's not just that Reds/books transform humans into demons, it's the idea of the humans retaining their personalities and memories. (Because of this, the transformation demons do seem to be different from those from the Expanse.) So the transformation just changed their appearances and, potentially, their abilities? Why would that happen when the same demons they transform into are individual entities in all other instances? This is just another case of the game explaining too much and writing itself into a corner because of it.

NeonZ

Anyway, the game's issues with this stuff probably began during considerations over the backstory concept. Simply, how would they justify the fact that humans have lived in the Tokyo underground for 25 years? And did they even need to explicitly say why in the first place?

I'm not sure that's really the case. I think this is one of the cases where they felt like they needed to throw many references to previous games in order to legitimize it. Rather than an excuse for the survival of humanity, I see the Reds as an excuse for the power of the Ashura Kai compared to Ozawa's group in SMTI, basically making him replace the Messians as the ones rivaling the Gaeans.

In fact, you say that Ozawa primarily existed for the Chaos Hero's transformation, but Tayama pretty much takes the same role - well, not Walter's transformation itself, but his change of character and breaking up with Mikado, leading him down to the Chaos path, is basically triggered by Mikado continuing to prioritize killing Lilith rather than Tayama.

But as far as the humans' survivability goes, I'm way less interested in the Ashura-kai or Ring of Gaea than I am the regular humans and hunters. That's why, when I looked at the world-building more closely, I found it so puzzling that relatively few of them seemed to be all that affected by their environment, one where their shelters are literally surrounded by murderous demons and monsters, where everyday they must inevitably hear blood-curdling death screams and gunfire and witness horrible gory atrocities from hunters who don't quite make it. Instead, an appealing idea for these humans is to have long-running death tournaments where large crowds want to see the losers get their throats slit, even though able-bodied hunters should be prime assets in Tokyo. (And no, I wouldn't usually consider sidequests in an analysis focusing on the main narrative, but, like I say in the article, the hunter tournament is mandated on Neutral.) It just seems counter-intuitive.

I saw that as the humans becoming more like the demons themselves. The demons are supposed to be reflections of humanity, after all. Remember, demons are savage and cruel, but they aren't zombies. They aren't a hivemind targeting only humans as a group, but also each other as well. Humans are the preferred target since they're seem as weak, but in this case the humans have enforcers that can deal with some of them and the Reds that apparently give higher pleasure than just eating humans directly.

And, yet again, these gladiatorial games in a demon infested land are a reference to earlier titles (SMTII in this case). Relatively, they aren't losing large numbers there and most people participating are described as criminally insane. It doesn't seem that much of a burden on resources.

Before continuing, I agree with of the other points of your analysis, like how SMTIV sometimes basically just threw references without considering their original meaning and role - most obviously with Stephen, or basically forced characters into certain positions just because it was supposed to be their role, rather than organic development like Walter not reacting at all to the luxuror or casualry system being abolished by the Archangels since he's supposed to hate Mikado and the angels by that point.

Although I should note that the Strange Journey setting references, like Demonica and the Mem Aleph statue, aren't really part of that. The game was said in an interview to share a "setting basis" with Strange Journey, even if the story wasn't a direct continuation, which is why those elements are there.

Unfortunately, I think what the game was going for with its Tokyo ultimately precluded it from plausible consistency. However, this may just be something we have to agree to disagree on as this is already way more than I ever wanted to write about SMTIV again. :p

That's why I made that Nocturne remark. In many ways, that was a really big break from the previous SMT games, and it might as well have been a spin off of its own. So, it's not odd that someone who starts from there might dislike conventions of the other games in the series.

Of course, I'm not defending all of SMTIV either. It has some big problems too (although overall it does take the series in a direction closer to what I prefer compared to Nocturne).

Reds and books, however, do not. Also, the manner in which humans become demons in SMTIV is completely new and none of your examples are compelling.

1. Yeah, Chaos Hero becomes a "demonoid."
2. The Gaean and Messian "demons" do not count. The fact that they become compendium demons after fusion is completely gameplay-related with zero plot ramifications.
But, let's say it does count-- there would still be no evidence that the resulting demons exhibit any memory or personality of the former human as in SMTIV. Still apples and oranges.

The plot ramification there is that it explains why you don't see a bunch of demonoids similar to the Chaos Hero running around, since fusing with a demon seems to be something fairly simple that gives great power. The fact that most humans just turn into standard demons explains that away fairly easily.

There's also Cerberus. The hero's pet clearly keeps its memories in spite of becoming a generic demon. Gameplay-wise, in SMTII, there's also how these human turned demons can stay loyal to the player even if they have a higher level, just like Cerberus in SMTI, while standard higher level demons can't be part of the player's party, which clearly suggests that something from their former life is there.

Again, it's not just that Reds/books transform humans into demons, it's the idea of the humans retaining their personalities and memories. (Because of this, the transformation demons do seem to be different from those from the Expanse.) So the transformation just changed their appearances and, potentially, their abilities? Why would that happen when the same demons they transform into are individual entities in all other instances? This is just another case of the game explaining too much and writing itself into a corner because of it.

They retain their memories, not necessarily their personalities though. Remember all demons in Kiccigiorgi's Forest are supposed to be transformed humans and yet they act just like generic demons.

If you want an example from the actual story script, look at the Baker who becomes a Dantalian (although only in New Game +). His personality is clearly shown to change during the battle after he transforms, going from praising books to talking about killing people who search for knowledge. I'd guess in some cases the personality remains the same since the demon created likely is related to the people's character and knowledge in the first place, since that's what's somehow triggering those transformations, but it was never actually established in-game that their personalities don't change.

Looking at the main narrative, even the Dullahan in the main story says that he/she left all "fears and anxieties" behind once transforming, and goes from saying that he'll free people from Tayama's slavery to talking about "smashing" Tayama's precious Tokyo. It's clear the he kept his memories, but the personality isn't necessarily there. There are some demons turned humans that just stand around and talk to the player like standard npcs, but there are also demons in similar roles that aren't suggested to be former humans (like some in Shinjuku and Ginza).

Eirikr

Before continuing, I agree with of the other points of your analysis, like how SMTIV sometimes basically just threw references without considering their original meaning and role - most obviously with Stephen, or basically forced characters into certain positions just because it was supposed to be their role, rather than organic development like Walter not reacting at all to the luxuror or casualry system being abolished by the Archangels since he's supposed to hate Mikado and the angels by that point.

I getcha. :)

I appreciate being taken to task on it. I'm bowing out of this particular conversation now, as I've said my words many times over and we could probably talk in circles. But I will say that inconsistency in its concepts is SMTIV's true demon.

Also. while I personally prefer something abstract like Nocturne or Strange Journey, I wasn't especially down on SMTIV because it was more grounded. I just wanted a good game with impressive ideas and concepts. Given Atlus' and the series' track record, that wasn't a tall order. It's a good game (at least), but...yeah. Let's see what that unannounced game ends up being and we'll reconvene. :)

squadr0n

Can someone tell me the proper name to the Macca DLC in IV?

I was just about to ask about the DLC for SMTIV. Which DLC is considered story content? I'm about to buy the post game DLC and I was wondering which ones people here recommend also?

On a side note, I started Devil Summoner 2 Raidou vs king and I'm really enjoying their take on an action SMT game. Raidou has become my favorite protagonist for the non Persona SMT games. Wasn't sure how I would like it at first and since I never played the first I was sure what to think but man I'm so glad I did. I wish someone had told me its an action rpg in this universe and to just give it some time to ramp up. After this and IV I'm gunna try Soul Hackers, how hard will that be? Btw, how do you block attacks, I was watching a lets play of the first and noticed him block and had no idea you could.

I know Raidou makes appearances in other games but is there a continuity to the Devil Summoner titles? If I wanted to see what happens or follow the Kuzunoha clan's story is there a certain game I should play next or is it just the minor cameos in Soul Hackers and Nocturne?

I was just about to ask about the DLC for SMTIV. Which DLC is considered story content? I'm about to buy the post game DLC and I was wondering which ones people here recommend also?

On a side note, I started Devil Summoner 2 Raidou vs king and I'm really enjoying their take on an action SMT game. Raidou has become my favorite protagonist for the non Persona SMT games. Wasn't sure how I would like it at first and since I never played the first I was sure what to think but man I'm so glad I did. I wish someone had told me its an action rpg in this universe and to just give it some time to ramp up. After this and IV I'm gunna try Soul Hackers, how hard will that be?

I know Raidou makes appearances in other games but is there a continuity to the Devil Summoner titles? If I wanted to see what happens or follow the Kuzunoha clan's story is there a certain game I should play next or is it just the minor cameos in Soul Hackers and Nocturne?

The story content is all the stuff that says it's endgame or post game, so the archangel fights, ancient of days, sanat and masakados. They're pretty fun and challenging fights, but the additional story content is minimal, so don't get it just for that.

There's not really much continuity between games for Raidou's story. Even Raidou 1 doesn't really affect 2 much. Soul Hackers and Nocturne just give Raidou cameo appearances, and aren't really that canon.

Kuzunohas do get referenced in the other Devil Summoner games, but in Soul Hackers at least, it's only really in a minor way.

Seda

On a side note, I started Devil Summoner 2 Raidou vs king and I'm really enjoying their take on an action SMT game. Wasn't sure how I would like it at first and since I never played the first I was sure what to think but man I'm so glad I did. I wish someone had told me its an action rpg in this universe and to just give it some time to ramp up. After this and IV I'm gunna try Soul Hackers, how hard will that be?

I'm actually replaying SMTIV right now in light of the new announcement. I also plan to finish the DLC this time.

The DLC that relate to the story are labeled as such in the purchase menu. These are:
  • Clipped Wings I (battle Uriel and Raphael)
  • Clipped Wings II (battle Gabriel and Michael)
  • Ancient One of the Sun (battle 'Ancient of Days')
  • The Eternal Youth (battle 'Sanat Kumara')
  • For the Past... For the Future (battle
    Masakado
    ) - considered the most difficult fight I guess
Raidou 2 is rad. One of the most improved sequels ever. Great soundtrack too.

Soul Hackers feels a little more old-school - it's a first-person dungeon crawler. The combat and mechanics are a little bit different too. Demons don't gain EXP, there's Magicite currency, a slight positioning element. Round-based instead of individual turns (you select all actions and they proceed by agility, unlike SMTIV). It has a really cool vibe and setting, as well as some neat characters.

cj_iwakura

The Kuzunohas are in DS1(never localized) and Soul Hackers. A Kuzunoha also runs the detective agency in Eternal Punishment. Raidou's their ancestor.

You also run into Dark Summoners(a la Rasputin) in DS and SH(Sid Davis and the Phantom Society, respectively).

The Kuzunohas are in DS1(never localized) and Soul Hackers. A Kuzunoha also runs the detective agency in Eternal Punishment. Raidou's their ancestor.

You also run into Dark Summoners(a la Rasputin) in DS and SH(Sid Davis and the Phantom Society, respectively).

DS has got to be the worst acronym you can use when talking about a Megaten game.

or games in general really.

squadr0n

Thanks for the info, Soul Hackers has been sitting in my backlog forever and I really want to check it out after IV. The 90s cyberpunk setting looks awesome and actually pretty different from the ones I've already played. The setting in Devil Summoner 2 is also really unique, they captured the westernization of Japan really well. Seeing big cities being built around farms and shrines is really eerie, they nailed it imo. I really dig playing the supernatural detective in Taisho Japan. The story and setting work really well together.

I really want to check out The import of the original Devil Summoner though, any idea how far along the translation is?

I read somewhere that Raidou has the ability to travel the Amala network from Nocturne. Is that true and if it is where was it explained?

DS has got to be the worst acronym you can use when talking about a Megaten game.

Yea between the 2 Raidou games, then Soul Hackers and DS1, and too top it off they made Devil Survivor!

Thanks for the info, Soul Hackers has been sitting in my backlog forever and I really want to check it out after IV. The 90s cyberpunk setting looks awesome and actually pretty different from the ones I've already played. I really want to check out DS1 though, any idea how far along the translation is?

I read somewhere that Raidou has the ability to travel the Amala network from Nocturne. Is that true and if it is where was it explained?

Raidou 1, and 2 but it's only an optional dungeon there, has
the Akarana Corridor, which allows him to travel through timelines, so is similar to the idea of the Amala network existing between multiverses. I would guess that Raidou being able to use the Amala network is speculation due to him making a cameo in one version of Nocturne, since it would explain how he got there.

NeonZ

The Amala Network's treatment in the series is so odd. It doesn't seem like Nocturne's world building concepts were ever mentioned after it, even though that kind of world building carryover seems to be the what ties together most of the series.

The Amala network to me seems to be more of something which fans have latched onto to tie the games together at this point, it fit around the PS2 era games, but it hasn't really been a thing since then. There's been a number of other alternate realms across the series, but most of them seem to be game or subseries specific, very few actually seem to be recurring. Mostly I just don't think Atlus cares that much about continuity.

The
Akarana Corridor
is much better for continuity speculation imo, but doesn't seem to come up nearly as much. I guess because less people played Raidou 1.

NeonZ

I don't think the term Amala Network is even correct in that sense. it's rather the "Amala Universe". The Amala Network itself seemed to be used to explain how the terminals worked, but we've had Terminals since then, but no acknowledgment of Nocturne's additions to the concept.

The Amala Universe concept with the idea of
infinite parallel worlds all going through birth, destruction and rebirth with the Conception
is really the only organized system for a multiverse in the series. However, it has never really been referenced outside of Nocturne, nor replaced by something else. For example, in SMTIV Flynn actually goes to two alternate worlds, but nothing is said about how those worlds exist together aside from them being possibilities.

cj_iwakura

Thanks for the info, Soul Hackers has been sitting in my backlog forever and I really want to check it out after IV. The 90s cyberpunk setting looks awesome and actually pretty different from the ones I've already played. The setting in Devil Summoner 2 is also really unique, they captured the westernization of Japan really well. Seeing big cities being built around farms and shrines is really eerie, they nailed it imo. I really dig playing the supernatural detective in Taisho Japan. The story and setting work really well together.

I really want to check out The import of the original Devil Summoner though, any idea how far along the translation is?

Around ~25%. A massive chunk was finished, out of ten script blocks. The translator is devout, and VERY skilled, so I don't expect too big a wait.

The gameplay is really, really dated though, be warned. Great story, but the rest... woof.

Hylian7

Around ~25%. A massive chunk was finished, out of ten script blocks. The translator is devout, and VERY skilled, so I don't expect too big a wait.

The gameplay is really, really dated though, be warned. Great story, but the rest... woof.

I figured it would be pretty dated, I mean even Soul Hackers was a bit dated. However I watched videos of the Saturn version of Soul Hackers and noticed all of the battle animations were a ton longer. I assume the same applies for Devil Summoner.

Really wish they would do a Soul Hackers style port/remake of that game on 3DS or something. I've never really understood why they didn't. Did Soul Hackers 3DS even sell well?

cj_iwakura

I figured it would be pretty dated, I mean even Soul Hackers was a bit dated. However I watched videos of the Saturn version of Soul Hackers and noticed all of the battle animations were a ton longer. I assume the same applies for Devil Summoner.

Really wish they would do a Soul Hackers style port/remake of that game on 3DS or something. I've never really understood why they didn't. Did Soul Hackers 3DS even sell well?

As far as I know it did very well. DS was put on the PSP, which is the version being translated, but it's not nearly as updated.

Hylian7

As far as I know it did very well. DS was put on the PSP, which is the version being translated, but it's not nearly as updated.

I figure if I can stomach SMT1 I can probably stomach that game.

I really wish that SMT1, 2, and if... would come out in English somehow. I know the iOS port of SMT1 exists, but I do not have an iOS device and no plans to get one. I know all three of those games are on both iOS and Android in Japanese.

Fan translations of SMT1 and 2 are common, but to my knowledge I don't think if... is finished yet. I've been playing SMT1, but the translated version is the Super Famicom version. I was looking at videos of the GBA/iOS version, and while it does have inferior audio quality, some of the features and UI it brings are a vast improvement. I noticed the blue to red bar for detecting enemies similar to Strange Journey and Nocturne was there.

Also, why do people keep saying that Nocturne's battles are 100% random? It's simply not true as you have a guaranteed grace period between each battle. The indicator starts blue and eventually turns red when you could get into a battle at any second.

I really wish that SMT1, 2, and if... would come out in English somehow. I know the iOS port of SMT1 exists, but I do not have an iOS device and no plans to get one. I know all three of those games are on both iOS and Android in Japanese.

The fact that SMTI exists on Android in Japanese but Atlus only localized the iOS version frustrates me to no end.

Also, why do people keep saying that Nocturne's battles are 100% random? It's simply not true as you have a guaranteed grace period between each battle. The indicator starts blue and eventually turns red when you could get into a battle at any second.

Correction: The indicator starts yellow and changes through red. I've even seen it reset to red, and thus I got jumped two steps from the previous battle.

It is only blue in safe zones.

Hylian7

The fact that SMTI exists on Android in Japanese but Atlus only localized the iOS version frustrates me to no end.

Correction: The indicator starts yellow and changes through red. I've even seen it reset to red, and thus I got jumped two steps from the previous battle.

It is only blue in safe zones.

I guess I have yet to see it go instantly red after a battle then. I think Strange Journey's system handled it the best where you don't run into a frustrating amount of battles.

I guess I have yet to see it go instantly red after a battle then. I think Strange Journey's system handled it the best where you don't run into a frustrating amount of battles.

Thinking on it more, I'm not sure if it reset to red or if it reset to yellow and changed to red nearly instantly. In any case, I've had battles two steps apart in Nocturne.

brinstar

Yeah, I've gotten in a battle in Nocturne before the previous finished battle's screen was finished transitioning to the field. ahaha. Strange Journey from what I remember wasn't quite that relentless. Neither of those beat the encounter rate in post-apocalyptic Tokyo in SMT1 though, holy shit.

I wish the Soul Hackers 3DS port led to rereleases of all the 32-bit era SMTs. Would love to have the PS1 versions of SMTI, II and If on my 3DS, but alas. ;___;

Yeah, I've gotten in a battle in Nocturne before the previous finished battle's screen was finished transitioning to the field. ahaha. Strange Journey from what I remember wasn't quite that relentless. Neither of those beat the encounter rate in post-apocalyptic Tokyo in SMT1 though, holy shit.

I wish the Soul Hackers 3DS port led to rereleases of all the 32-bit era SMTs. Would love to have the PS1 versions of SMTI, II and If on my 3DS, but alas. ;___;

What's pretty neat about that is that if a battle starts quickly enough after a previous one, the battle music will actually continue where it left off instead of restarting.

And I second all the rerelease talk.

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Fuck these demons who take my shit and bounces! These muthafucka's!

I already don't like the negotiating parts of this game. Please tell me this shit gets better as my luck raises?

I'm basically at the beginning so the shit I do have I really need and them taking it and bouncing is getting under my skin. I'm about to unalive a race of demons.

NeonZ

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Fuck these demons who take my shit and bounces! These muthafucka's!

I already don't like the negotiating parts of this game. Please tell me this shit gets better as my luck raises?

I'm basically at the beginning so the shit I do have I really need and them taking it and bouncing is getting under my skin. I'm about to unalive a race of demons.

Usually you should give them two or three things at most (or use the option to fool them without giving anything) and then end negotiation. That seems to be what has the best results rather than just attempting to give them what they want over and over.

Usually you should give them two or three things at most (or use the option to fool them without giving anything) and then end negotiation. That seems to be what has the best results rather than just attempting to give them what they want over and over.

Hhmmm. I'll try this.

cj_iwakura

I figure if I can stomach SMT1 I can probably stomach that game.

Fan translations of SMT1 and 2 are common, but to my knowledge I don't think if... is finished yet. I've been playing SMT1, but the translated version is the Super Famicom version. I was looking at videos of the GBA/iOS version, and while it does have inferior audio quality, some of the features and UI it brings are a vast improvement. I noticed the blue to red bar for detecting enemies similar to Strange Journey and Nocturne was there.

The team behind 1 & 2 are doing If, and it's in testing. Should be very soon.

And keep in mind DS1 is an early Saturn game(think like P1), so IMO it may have aged worse than SMT1 and 2. It's certainly slower paced.

Top Bottom