• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Capra

So, uh... I took the Chaos path and I'm at the final boss...

Did this game just drop an unavoidable insta-kill move on my entire party?

Edit: Strange Journey btw.

Hylian7

In Record Breaker, I still can't fucking beat Polaris third form. The other day I tried again and was so damn close, then one of the other demons used Ghost Wounds on my protagonist and the only way to finish him was to get close. This opened him up for Cepheid, which he got to use twice and this killed my protagonist. Everyone else had died before this.

My protagonist team is Arioch and Behemoth. I have Megidolaon, Prayer, and crack Drain from one of the Guardians.

I hate what I've seen of the SMT4 cast and story so far. Do the characters (except Borroughs) and the story get more interesting, or is it rather weak? How's the atmosphere?

Still trying to decide between that and SJ. I vastly prefer SJ's atmosphere, setting and story (watched a couple vids) but this will be my first "mainline" SMT so I'm not sure if I should be going with SJ as my first. I doubt I'd be able to go through all of a SMT game without good atmosphere and characters. SJ's gameplay seems worse though, which worries me somewhat.

How far into IV are you? I'm sure you are aware of Tokyo, but things get really good one you get there. I really liked the opening of the game just for the semi-fake out. Obviously Tokyo would be somewhere, but no one was sure where.

Which game?

Tizoc

I like to think atlus are planning to have their ps2 psn titles be rereleased for ps4
They will announce this during the next persona event where we see little of p5 and still no concrete release date

Hylian7

I like to think atlus are planning to have their ps2 psn titles be rereleased for ps4
They will announce this during the next persona event where we see little of p5 and still no concrete release date
I wish they would announce localizations for titles that are already out in Japan before titles that aren't even out on Japan and have so little footage and will continue to do so.

I don't have a PS4, but I thought all the PS2 PSN games were on there. If not, hopefully they fix that.

jonjonaug

Edit: Strange Journey btw.

Gotta null Expel and Curse to survive that. The final boss of the Law/Neutral path is actually harder than that.

How far into IV are you? I'm sure you are aware of Tokyo, but things get really good one you get there. I really liked the opening of the game just for the semi-fake out. Obviously Tokyo would be somewhere, but no one was sure where.
(SMT4 SPOILERS)

Just got the
Navarre has gone missing quest. I'm thinking that Naraku hangs above Tokyo and Navarre has fallen through. I wish the game was consistently difficult, it's great so far. Loving the demon designs. I know something has been hanging above Tokyo for 25 years, that's probably Mikado.

Hylian7

(SMT4 SPOILERS)

Just got the
Navarre has gone missing quest. I'm thinking that Naraku hangs above Tokyo and Navarre has fallen through. I wish the game was consistently difficult, it's great so far. Loving the demon designs. I know something has been hanging above Tokyo for 25 years, that's probably Mikado.

Yeah keep going, you haven't hit the good part yet. I know the early game can be frustrating, especially on your first time through, but just keep going. You're fairly close to where it just completely opens up.

You're going to hit a certain boss soon (you will know it when you see it) that is infamous among the SMT community for being extremely difficult, and a good chunk of the time being left up to RNG. A little tip on that:
The boss is Minotaur. If Walter is the person helping you and things go south, just reset and try again. You're not going to win with Walter because he's an idiot and keeps using Agi on it which gives him more turns and takes yours away, and usually gives him smirk. I don't know what they were thinking with the partner AI in this game. Thankfully it looks like this is fixed in Final.

Hylian7

Aj1g8ni.jpg
So I don't know if anyone remembers, but this SMTIV art book was supposed to release back in October, and was delayed on Amazon multiple times. My girlfriend ordered it as a birthday gift around that time, but it was delayed over and over again. Well she got a notification the other day that it was shipping and would be here tomorrow. Then it suddenly showed up today.

cj_iwakura

So I don't know if anyone remembers, but this SMTIV art book was supposed to release back in October, and was delayed on Amazon multiple times. My girlfriend ordered it as a birthday gift around that time, but it was delayed over and over again. Well she got a notification the other day that it was shipping and would be here tomorrow. Then it suddenly showed up today.

Yeah, I saw it in a store over the weekend too. How is it? Does it have the awesome concept art of the environments, like the Tokyo streets with the samurai?

Hylian7

Yeah, I saw it in a store over the weekend too. How is it? Does it have the awesome concept art of the environments, like the Tokyo streets with the samurai?

It's great, it has a ton of the early environment concepts in it, some being fairly different than the final product. It also has a section of the new demons.

Hylian7

I didn't get that artbook because of the hideous design >_>
Eh, suit yourself. SMTIV's environments were nailed extremely well.

Also, Kaneko did in fact work on the game. There is an interview at the end and comments from developers and they talk about what Kaneko did.

In other news, I finished Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker. Finally got past Polaris. I kept my protagonist alive, everyone else died and my last Recarm was out of MP with no means of recovery. I just stood a few spaces back with Arioch and kept plugging away at it. I had Revive (Auto), Prayer, Megidolaon, and Drain so I could sustain forever.

I'll make an LTTP thread later. I do plan on playing the Triangulum stuff.

h0tp0ck3t

Hey guys. Just starting out on Strange Journey as my first mainline SMT (Played Persona 3,4 and Devil Survivor 1,2)
I can't seem to get a handle on negotiating and takes me like five, six attempts to successfully talk them into joining. Is there any rhyme or reason to it other than Law aligned demons are probably gonna like the "Hey we're here to save our planet" answers better than the Chaos demons?

SMTIV
Just finished Flynn's hometown dungeon. Really enjoying the game, especially the battle system. Loving demon negotiation and whatnot, so good. Can't wait to get to Tokyo! Unclean Ones is Tokyo isn't it?

Golnei

Speaking of that and DLC, I hope either Atlus or Platinum can take advantage of the shared IP ownership eventually. A couple of Bayonetta angels/demons or cameo characters would fit well enough in a SMT game or spinoff in the vein of Dante; and it goes without saying that it'd be amazing to fight SMT demons in Bayonetta. Of course, that's ruling out the possibility of Platinum working on an actual game in collaboration with them...

Hylian7

Speaking of that and DLC, I hope either Atlus or Platinum can take advantage of the shared IP ownership eventually. A couple of Bayonetta angels/demons or cameo characters would fit well enough in a SMT game or spinoff in the vein of Dante; and it goes without saying that it'd be amazing to fight SMT demons in Bayonetta. Of course, that's ruling out the possibility of Platinum working on an actual game in collaboration with them...

I would love to see a crossover like Dante in Nocturne, with Bayonetta showing up.

Hell, maybe that Dante x Bayonetta crossover could be SMTV. That would be insane.

I didn't think I'd ever be buying DLC for an Atlus game ever. But they know how to get my wallet. Fuck. Oh well, like this is coming to Europe anytime soon. Atlus can't steal my wallet that quickly.

Golnei

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN

Meanwhile, Tamaki is drunk and inconsolable backstage at a Kiria concert.

I would love to see a crossover like Dante in Nocturne, with Bayonetta showing up.

Hell, maybe that Dante x Bayonetta crossover could be SMTV. That would be insane.

I can't help but think they might as well add the other Amaterasu, if they're going that far...

Also, if they ever do come back to guest demon designs, Yusuke Hashimoto would be an absolutely perfect choice to contribute.

I think it's a better game, but it's a little thin on major story beats and character. The atmosphere is great, but IV feels more like the full package.

I found SJ's story and characters more memorable surprisingly. I really loved everything about it particularly its dungeons.

cj_iwakura

I found SJ's story and characters more memorable surprisingly. I really loved everything about it particularly its dungeons.

I think everything about SJ is stronger overall(less weak points), but IV has more epic high points. There's nothing like
Lucifer's Palace
in SJ for instance.

I think everything about SJ is stronger overall(less weak points), but IV has more epic high points. There's nothing like
Lucifer's Palace
in SJ for instance.

I only ever finished SMT IV once and never got into that palace because I chose the chaos path. And now I've lost my 3DS so yeah.

Soulhouf

Lucifer's Palace
in SJ for instance.

There is nothing like the moment you arrive in Tokyo in Strange Journey SMT4.
That's what made the game move from a good SMT to an epic one. It's very subjective but that particular moment is very dear to me.

There is nothing like the moment
you arrive in Tokyo in
Strange Journey.
That's what made the game move from a good SMT to an epic one. It's very subjective but that particular moment is very dear to me.

Wait what, that happens in SJ too?

Holy shit lol.

Tagged since it sounds spoilery.

Golnei

I think they meant "there isn't anything in Strange Journey like the moment you arrive in Tokyo in SMTIV". SJ stays away from it, for better or worse. It's apparently why it went without a number.

I think they meant "there isn't anything in Strange Journey like the moment you arrive in Tokyo in SMTIV". SJ stays away from it, for better or worse. It's apparently why it went without a number.

Ooooooh I see.

Question on SMTIV which I'm playing for the first time:

What's so special about arriving in Tokyo in 4, wasn't it obvious that it would happen if it's such a pattern that it kept SJ from getting a number? Just got to the "Excavation workers" floor of Naraku, it isn't too weird though the way the characters react to finding a gun was interesting.

Top Bottom