• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

Mitama

Generally in one I'd go heavy on magic followed by agi and vit after and id have a certain amount of str so I could use things like the dances. Are there any stat thresholds I should try to get to on a heavy caster?

Dual Shadow requires 15 AG, Debilitate 14 AG, Phys Repel 12 VI, Anti-Almighty 19 VI. That's about it for the non-MA skills.

Whoa, I've been taking Jungo as my physical attacker but it seems I should switch to hinako then...

Yeah, she's great for taking down entire teams. I still prefer my MC with high ST and VI for raw damage output against a single boss (Deathbound), but Multi-Strike comes very, very close.

Mitama

Haha, didn't have the demons to do it and still get that insanely high MA stat I wanted.

Really? Remember that you can always fuse away a demon you currently have that has a lot of extra MA into one of Titania's fusion ingredients. Phs Repel will really benefit you in the long run; you'll be invincible from everything but Almighty.

Torraz

Dual Shadow requires 15 AG, Debilitate 14 AG, Phys Repel 12 VI, Anti-Almighty 19 VI. That's about it for the non-MA skills.

Yeah, she's great for taking down entire teams. I still prefer my MC with high ST and VI for raw damage output against a single boss (Deathbound), but Multi-Strike comes very, very close.

Doesn't a PHYS MC get troublesome due to only having 1 pierce to assign to your team members?

Mitama

Well, I'm using a physical based MC with Deathbound (for bosses) and Hassohappa (for quickly wiping entire teams), Pierce/Phys Amp/Phys Repel and he's my only physical attacker.

Aside from the MC, I'm using Fumi with Drain, Holy Dance and Mediarahan; Otome with Megidolaon and two random dances and Io with some a random dance, Prayer and Samarecarm.

That's also why I really prefer a physical based MC: there's much more magic to go around when he doesn't use those skills.

There's also Pierce+, mind you, which gives you Pierce on the entire party. Saves a slot on your team leader and on the two demons!

Mitama

Same as the above, with the addition of Anti-Most (12 MA) and Anti-All (18 MA). You can either choose to specialize in ST/VI or ST/AG (with a precedence of ST over AG). Your AG stat determines the number of hits with Multi-Hit and Multi-Strike while your VI (and current HP) determines the strength of Berserk/Deathbound/Mow Down/Hassohappa.

Both are awesome though, but I've found that Deathbound does more damage, even with a higher AG than VI stat and the same ST. Multi-Strike is a lot of fun to look at though and is a surefire way to wipe out an entire party (Hassohappa attacks all enemies too, but it can miss whereas Multi-Strike has a ton of hits and will pretty much always kill an enemy).

cj_iwakura

That was just beautiful.

Day 5's boss obliterated in a SINGLE SKIRMISH.

Force Dance + Force Boost from Main, Force Dance from King Frost, Assassinate from my beastly Chu Chulainn = DUST.

I love this game.

Koroviev

That was just beautiful.

Day 5's boss obliterated in a SINGLE SKIRMISH.

Force Dance + Force Boost from Main, Force Dance from King Frost, Assassinate from my beastly Chu Chulainn = DUST.
I

I love this game.

You still have King Frost? I'm trying to figure out a worthy fusion use for tyrant Moloch ._.

And yeah, Day 5's boss isn't too bad at all, especially compared to Day 4's.

cj_iwakura

You still have King Frost? I'm trying to figure out a worthy fusion use for tyrant Moloch ._.

And yeah, Day 5's boss isn't too bad at all, especially compared to Day 4's.

Can't bring myself to part with him, or his beastly resistances. Mine is strong against EVERYTHING.

Coming up on Day 6, pretty sure I'm gonna side with

Anguished One. Rot in hell, Messian JP scum.

PK Gaming

Can't bring myself to part with him, or his beastly resistances. Mine is strong against EVERYTHING.

Coming up on Day 6, pretty sure I'm gonna side with

Anguished One. Rot in hell, Messian JP scum.

Thats definitely one of the better endings. Good choice ♪

My spring break is practically over and I still haven't even touched this. What's wrong with me? :( I think Overclocked spoiled me too much.

Torraz

Day 5 has been a hell of a ride so far. Some really nice fusions are unlocking.
Poor Kama :(.
. The boss went 100% perfectly until I actually starting fighting him...
Didn't realize one didnt need to reach one movement grid away from the blinking squares in order to deploy the anti-venom... That's why I stopped within the bosses attack range once (my movement would have just sufficed but I thought that I would have needed 1 more movement...). That's why my MC + team got hit with the toxin. Then I had some terrible luck with my magic casters getting hit with gigajama etc. Nonetheless the boss died during the first try.

Somehow I messed up on skill-cracking. Can someone please confirm that
pierce (that I somehow failed to crack from the cu chuluucain (sp)
can be had on, preferably, a random encounter late day 5 / early day 6?

Loving the game so far.

Torraz

Yes, that's where I got it.

Now in day 6 and I think the
route choice
is edging closer and closer :(. So far I see
four routes emerging: Yamato's capitalism ho route, ronaldos communism route, the anguished one route and the "screw all of them" route
. Decisions, decisions. But first of all I haven't really changed my team in a while so I'll have to grind some macca and fuse some new demons.

cj_iwakura

Team of Kings:

Main, Jungo, Airi, Fumi.

#2 can one shot any team lead in the game once he gets Assassinate, paired with High Crit, Phys Amp, Phys Boost(Stacking go!).

Torraz

Team of Kings:

Main, Jungo, Airi, Fumi.

#2 can one shot any team lead in the game once he gets Assassinate, paired with High Crit, Phys Amp, Phys Boost(Stacking go!).

I have the same, except that I replaced
jungo
with
hinako
. Really loving that high agility. I'm often able to kill an enemy group before they can even act, which was not the case with the former.

Majukun

i'm pretty much at the end of the game (i have to beat the last boss,or what i think is the last boss anyway)...from the gameplay standpoint the game is pretty much identical to the prequel,but i liked some of the new twist with the battles...what is not on par with the first game is the story...i have fell in love with the one of the first game...with this one..not so much...too much "evangelion" vibe from it..and i can't say i've liked the fact that people around you treat you like a demi-god from the beginning to the end...

Koroviev

But I want voice acting and crisper sprites. :(

I have my own voices in mind, so I think actual VA would bug me at this point, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. I'm just in love with the cast and so happy that they changed up the soundtrack.

I just finished my first run of this.

Fuck you, Polaris. That has to be one of the most excruciating boss fights I've ever experienced. Did anyone actually do that by taking out B and Ab? I went with a full on rush to the main part and still got decimated by the other part raining physical attacks on me.

I also did Daichi's path. I didn't have +4 fate for everyone, and all that happened is they went back and everyone started to help the wounded and such. Kinda boring. I'm going to redo it and go for the Meritocracy.

Koroviev

I just finished my first run of this.

Fuck you, Polaris. That has to be one of the most excruciating boss fights I've ever experienced. Did anyone actually do that by taking out B and Ab? I went with a full on rush to the main part and still got decimated by the other part raining physical attacks on me.

I also did Daichi's path. I didn't have +4 fate for everyone, and all that happened is they went back and everyone started to help the wounded and such. Kinda boring. I'm going to redo it and go for the Meritocracy.

How many hours did it take you? The activity log shows 45 hours for me and I'm at the start of Day 6.

Alright, I'm finding the final boss very difficult.
Any tips to help me get by it? I have a phys based MC and am using Io, Fumi, and Hinako. I find it's hard to balance a team that will be able to quickly kill polaris one, deal with the past selves and then still be strong and robust enough to deal with Polaris a. Not to mention the mana gets eaten up very hard on some of my characters (even with mana stream)

Alright, I'm finding the final boss very difficult.
Any tips to help me get by it? I have a phys based MC and am using Io, Fumi, and Hinako. I find it's hard to balance a team that will be able to quickly kill polaris one, deal with the past selves and then still be strong and robust enough to deal with Polaris a. Not to mention the mana gets eaten up very hard on some of my characters (even with mana stream)

I didn't have any problem with the first two phases. On the last phase, I basically rushed Polaris' main form. My MC was Mag/Vit based, though. Hinako with Multistrike and Pierce took it down over halfway by herself. At that point, I just needed to survive until my other party members (Io, Fumi, MC) were in range. My MC also had absorb phys, which helps with the other Polaris raining down death on you.

Most importantly, I found that demons with high resistances, especially phys, will help you out. I had Loki, Remiel, Alliat and Trumpeter, and those four helped me out tons

Hope that helps a little. My team was also all 63+. Hinako ended at level 67, since she decimates everything in the way.

Koroviev

I didn't have any problem with the first two phases. On the last phase, I basically rushed Polaris' main form. My MC was Mag/Vit based, though. Hinako with Multistrike and Pierce took it down over halfway by herself. At that point, I just needed to survive until my other party members (Io, Fumi, MC) were in range. My MC also had absorb phys, which helps with the other Polaris raining down death on you.

Most importantly, I found that demons with high resistances, especially phys, will help you out. I had Loki, Remiel, Alliat and Trumpeter, and those four helped me out tons

Hope that helps a little. My team was also all 63+. Hinako ended at level 67, since she decimates everything in the way.

Oh, love your avatar, btw. Fumi is probably my favorite character. Her and Otome are the reason I'm loyal to JPs :)

Netto-kun

Finished my first run.
Bosses that gave me trouble were Benetnasch after it split into four, Yamato and the final form of Polaris. Did Daichi route and had no idea that I'd get a different ending if the Fate level for all characters are level 4 or above (Yamato was at 0, Keita and AO were at 3). Guess I'll save that ending for whenever I have gone through the Yamato, Ronaldo and AO routes. My cleare save files says 24:14, but according to the 3DS activity log I have spent over...43 hours. :D

As for my final teams (spoiler tag just in case):

Level 67 magic MC + Loki + Tao Tie (all had Drain, Phys Repel and Anti Most)
Level 65 Hinako + Alilat + Norn
Level 65 Otome + Ukano Mitama + Grendel
Level 64 Fumi + Ganesha + Nata Taishi

Only MC and Otome made it through the entire battle against Polaris. <_<

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
On Day 3 is there any way to actually beat
Q in the Optional Vs Q event, I beat all his demons, but he just ran away afterwards, with no way to catch-up to him.:mad:

On Day 3 is there any way to actually beat
Q in the Optional Vs Q event, I beat all his demons, but he just ran away afterwards, with no way to catch-up to him.:mad:

I beat him. Leave one demon alive (literally, engage the last group and leave the demon leader alive so he won't do much damage) and then go after him before he runs. If you haven't already, make sure all your other team member's demons are in reserve so you can summon new demons as yours fall.

Torraz

I'm mid day 6. My MCs stats are
STR 8
VIT 6
AGI 8
MAG 40

Should I from now on pump all points in agi or do I need more points in the other two stats too, for requirement-reasons?

PK Gaming

Well, you'll want at least 10 vit for null phys and some speed for a few high lvl spells. I also think you need at least 8 str for holy dance though i'm not sure...

But Wowza bo bowza, talk about magic overkill!

Mitama

I'm mid day 6. My MCs stats are
STR 8
VIT 6
AGI 8
MAG 40

Should I from now on pump all points in agi or do I need more points in the other two stats too, for requirement-reasons?

Dual Shadow: 15 AG
Phys Repel: 12 VI
Anti-Almighty: 19 VI

Torraz

Dual Shadow: 15 AG
Phys Repel: 12 VI
Anti-Almighty: 19 VI

Thanks!

Well, you'll want at least 10 vit for null phys and some speed for a few high lvl spells. I also think you need at least 8 str for holy dance though i'm not sure...

But Wowza bo bowza, talk about magic overkill!

I take the title of glass-cannon seriously ;).

----

Blargh, that
billiken
just bee-lined for the demon I wanted to skill-crack
Holy Dance
from. Haven't found another one in a fight yet :(. Route decision-time seems to be steadily approaching.

Fumi is probably my favorite character...

just started day 6, &, yeah, fumi is the only unique & distinctive character of all the companions, imo. while i've kinda warmed to the rest of the cast over time, they all still feel much more charicature-ish than the cast of ds1...

really enjoying the gameplay, & pretty much breezing thru bosses, but everything else just isn't working for me quite as well as it did in ds1. it's still a very good game, tho :) ...

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Ugh been trying to beat Ronaldo/Phecda for 3 hours today and no luck. It's hard enough to beat Ronaldo but then trying to time [spoil]killing both of phecda in one party turn is really getting me[/spoiler]

Just beat the game today.

After finally making it through Overclocked a few months ago (and loving it), I had a lot of hype for this game, and, overall, it delivered. My problem with the original game was that the game's story really didn't pick up for me until around halfway
when the whole angels vs demons plot gets going
. However, this game kept me interested the entire way through, and I think that had a lot to do with the characters. Even though the characters might have suffered from being a little too one-dimensional, they still felt real and a lot more likable than most of the DS1 characters. All in all, I think the Fate system fleshed them out enough for me to stay interested. I won't lie, I teared up a little bit when
Jungo had to let cat-Jungo go.
:(

Gameplay-wise, I don't know if it's just from playing through DS1 (and SMT in general), but I breezed through most of the game. I remember reading through Bebpo's initial impressions of the game and how the sheer difficulty of the second half of the game was emphasized, which really made me uncomfortable. Seriously, the last day or so of DS1 (and unknowingly getting into one of the harder routes) made me want to pull my hair out to the point where I just wanted to stop playing. However, after playing through the sequel, I was amazed at how easy it was. I had a little trouble with
Polaris's last form
, but I was just lazy with fusion because I had been steamrolling everything up to that point. Practically every demon I had was using Holy Dance and they would murder everything in one turn.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the game and I put about 23 hours into the first playthrough (my 3DS activity log says like 36...). I'd really love to see another game in this series.

PK Gaming

just started day 6, &, yeah, fumi is the only unique & distinctive character of all the companions, imo. while i've kinda warmed to the rest of the cast over time, they all still feel much more charicature-ish than the cast of ds1...

really enjoying the gameplay, & pretty much breezing thru bosses, but everything else just isn't working for me quite as well as it did in ds1. it's still a very good game, tho :) ...

That my friend, is trolling by the game devs. They KNOW we want holy dance, and they tease it in front of us... grrr

LuchaShaq

Banned
Got about 15 hours in.

Selling it already.

Fuck anyone who designed/wrote for the characters in this game. Just as bad if not worse than the first.

Hope the best ending involves all of the characters dying in torturous ways just so I can youtube it and enjoy it.

PK Gaming

wRXGE.png

I just beat
Lilith.

They dangle so many wonderful auto skills in front of you to crack, and you're not allowed to get any of them!

Top Bottom