• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

Koroviev

Got about 15 hours in.

Selling it already.

Fuck anyone who designed/wrote for the characters in this game. Just as bad if not worse than the first.

Hope the best ending involves all of the characters dying in torturous ways just so I can youtube it and enjoy it.

Wow, sorry to hear you didn't like it :(

Beat the game for the first time
Went for the Daichi kill Polaris ending

Time for my second playthrough.

Final Party

MC + Loki + Behemoth
Otome + Feng Huang + Parvati (Inferno Team)
Airi + Purple Mirror + Titania (Can't Touch this team)
Fumi + Ganesha + Norn

In the middle of day 6, and still unsure of who I'm going to support in the endgame.
I agree with Yamato's "vision" more, but find him to be reprehensible. I don't agree with Ronaldo's vision in the least, but find him to be very approachable. By the time I have to choose, I hope a few other routes open up for me besides those two.

Can anyone tell me if this game has more or less endings than the original?

cj_iwakura

In the middle of day 6, and still unsure of who I'm going to support in the endgame.
I agree with Yamato's "vision" more, but find him to be reprehensible. I don't agree with Ronaldo's vision in the least, but find him to be very approachable. By the time I have to choose, I hope a few other routes open up for me besides those two.

Can anyone tell me if this game has more or less endings than the original?

As I understand it, far less.

Four: Yamato, Ronaldo, Anguished One, and Daichi, which has three variations.

As I understand it, far less.

Four: Yamato, Ronaldo, Anguished One, and Daichi, which has three variations.

I see, I'll keep that in mind.

It doesn't bother me. I got all the endings in the original and some were kinda samey - like
Naoya/Kaido, Gin/Atsuro, etc.

So far, I'm leaning heavily towards
the Anguished One
, once he gets to the point and tells me what he wants.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Got about 15 hours in.

Selling it already.

Fuck anyone who designed/wrote for the characters in this game. Just as bad if not worse than the first.

Hope the best ending involves all of the characters dying in torturous ways just so I can youtube it and enjoy it.

But but but what about the gameplay?!

I don't really care about the story or characters either tbh!

Ultratech

Almost finished with Day 5.

Boss gave me a wee bit a trouble towards the end, and ended up killing my MC. But had enough guys left to finish the boss. Also managed to kill
Bifrons
in a previous fight, getting his fusion available. Found it kinda funny that the whole getting the boss was really similar to NGE.
What with the whole spear knocking the boss out of the sky a la Longinus to one of the Angels. Though the Kama sequence was kinda funny. Do you not get Shiva to use though?

Still can't help it's a little BS when bosses get like 6-range attack and can attack multiple times on top of that. Not really fun when they wreck most of your team before you get anywhere near them.

Requeim

lol, just had to fight against
Frosty, the Black Frost from DS1
. Was a pretty cool cameo appearance, i have to say.

Still can't help it's a little BS when bosses get like 6-range attack and can attack multiple times on top of that. Not really fun when they wreck most of your team before you get anywhere near them.

The fun is in working around that obstacle and turning the tables, IMO.

Example:
bringing a pack of phys-resistant demons to the Day 6 boss

Is Drain Hit as unbalanced as it seems? Recovering 25% of all damage dealt with physical attacks? If you're strong, you instantly heal the HP cost of any phys ability you could be using. I'm not complaining, but it was pretty easy to crack for such an advanced skill...

My Macca problems are getting worse and worse. I grind free battles so that I can get Macca to summon demons and fuse them, but then I end up leveling up through all my grinding and need more Macca to fuse more demons. It is an endless and painful cycle.

Koroviev

My Macca problems are getting worse and worse. I grind free battles so that I can get Macca to summon demons and fuse them, but then I end up leveling up through all my grinding and need more Macca to fuse more demons. It is an endless and painful cycle.

I prefer the unique demons, so my stock remains viable for a few extra levels. However, I have had to grind a fair bit to use the compendium. I can't settle for a new demon with weaknesses when one without is a free battle or two away.

How many demons do you usually have available for team building? I rarely have more than six and only five at the moment. I'm able to win the story battles with only 3 teams, so the extra effort to make a fourth doesn't seem worth it.

Am I the only one tired of high schoolers in megaten games?

Strange Journey features an all-adult cast, but I can't say I dislike anyone in DS2. There really isn't a whole lot of emphasis on the younger cast members, save for at the beginning. If you don't like the kids, then you don't have to talk to them and you can let them die :)

I prefer the unique demons, so my stock remains viable for a few extra levels. However, I have had to grind a fair bit to use the compendium. I can't settle for a new demon with weaknesses when one without is a free battle or two away.

How many demons do you usually have available for team building? I rarely have more than six and only five at the moment. I'm able to win the story battles with only 3 teams, so the extra effort to make a fourth doesn't seem worth it.
I try and keep a full team of eight demons, though I recently fused too many demon and I only have seven now. It's nice to have 4 teams because I get more cracks, especially on the bosses where a lot of new demons show up.

cj_iwakura

That doesn't seem to be true. SMT:SJ sold more than either Devil Survivor games...

Wait, what? I've never heard that. I thought SJ bombed, hard.

Now, I love SJ. Devil Survivor has better gameplay overall, but art design and aesthetically, they can't touch SJ.

jaxword

Now, I love SJ. Devil Survivor has better gameplay overall, but art design and aesthetically, they can't touch SJ.

Wait, seriously? Strange Journey? With the horribly jagged blocky walls and exploring?

I played through it, but by the 5th world I had to force myself to complete it because the maps were excruciatingly boring and bad. And it used the same sprite assets, so I'm genuinely surprised you'd argue there's better art. Unless you meant the characters?

duckroll

Devil Survivor - 106,997
Devil Survivor Overclocked - 23,541
Devil Survivor 2 - 80,353

Strange Journey - 136,149

----

FINALLY got to the LAST day. Man,
the Yamato fight on Day 7 was just balls. It took a bit of playful positioning and playing around with him, but I managed to crack all the skills I wanted, and Fumi ran in to finish the job. It's funny how the actual boss fight for Day 7 is so much easier than Yamato. Lol.

Can't wait to see what horrors this final day holds.

Koroviev

Devil Survivor - 106,997

----

the Yamato fight on Day 7 was just balls. It took a bit of playful positioning and playing around with him, but I managed to crack all the skills I wanted, and Fumi ran in to finish the job. It's funny how the actual boss fight for Day 7 is so much easier than Yamato. Lol.

Wow, Overclocked tanked :(

Where are these numbers from, btw?

Torraz

@ numbers.

Don't the DS 1/2/SJ numbers also include international imports?

- - -

Currently stuck on the day 6 boss. How does it work?
I killed the first arm (the left one, the party reaches first). Then I killed the second one. By this point the first one was attached again and the second one was again reattached further to the right. How often do I have to repeat this routine?

Also, what are some good demons for the fight, mine are a tad outdated. I'm guessing something with STrong/null phys and a fire attack?!

@ numbers.

Don't the DS 1/2/SJ numbers also include international imports?

- - -

Currently stuck on the day 6 boss. How does it work?
I killed the first arm (the left one, the party reaches first). Then I killed the second one. By this point the first one was attached again and the second one was again reattached further to the right. How often do I have to repeat this routine?

Also, what are some good demons for the fight, mine are a tad outdated. I'm guessing something with STrong/null phys and a fire attack?!

You guessed right. Bring along phys resist and fire attacks. If you have null phys and null curse, this boss can't touch you.
Just be sure to kill off the mini ones as soon as they appear, the tentacles can wait. I'e never ran out of time during this fight.

PK Gaming

Devil Survivor - 106,997

----

Urgh those DSO sales numbers is the single most depressing thing i've seen all day. All that hard work for nothing, and it really was a damn good game. Should have sold better during that time period, since there was a drought of good 3DS games. Que Sera Que Sera :(

How many demons do you usually have available for team building? I rarely have more than six and only five at the moment. I'm able to win the story battles with only 3 teams, so the extra effort to make a fourth doesn't seem worth it.)

Same - 90% of my roster is composed of unique demons. I've noticed this game has a considerably larger selection of unique demons over common ones.

I'm in the middle of day 7,
Al Saiduq's
route, which was the ending I was gunning for. For those of you who have beaten the game multiple times, which ending is the hardest to get? Are they all available by default, or do some require careful planning like in the original?

Torraz

Hmm I managed to fuse an abaddon (anti-most) and some other dude toether with a fire set to create a reflect phys and strong against everything else demon that has agidyne and fire amp... Only problem is the racial - evil bind.
I guess if I give one character anti phys and curse and the other one null phys I should be doing well against the boss....

Hmm I managed to fuse an abaddon (anti-most) and some other dude toether with a fire set to create a reflect phys and strong against everything else demon that has agidyne and fire amp... Only problem is the racial - evil bind.
I guess if I give one character anti phys and curse and the other one null phys I should be doing well against the boss....

Sounds good. Just take your time and don't overextend yourself.
I suggest keeping your teams in a tight grouping as they advance along the dragon - that way when the small guys spawn off the boss's arms you'll already be in position to attack and support one another without missing a beat.
Tell us how you do!

cj_iwakura

Wait, seriously? Strange Journey? With the horribly jagged blocky walls and exploring?

I played through it, but by the 5th world I had to force myself to complete it because the maps were excruciatingly boring and bad. And it used the same sprite assets, so I'm genuinely surprised you'd argue there's better art. Unless you meant the characters?

That's exactly what I meant. One Kaneko character > all of Devil Survivor's. No contest.

Also much better music, naturally.

PK Gaming

Woah, check out this broken build I found on gamefaqs:

Character: Physical attackers that can use the required skills
(CMD)
-Mediaharan or nothing
-(Sama)Recarm or nothing

(PSV)
-Attack all
-Ultimate hit
-Double strike

Auto-Skill
-Rage Soul

Congratulations, you are now a killing physical machine that now gives 0 fucks about everything (since you're now dealing heavy almighty damage!!!) boss in the game barring 2 secret ones THAT STILL get wrecked. Yes, physical attackers have officially surpassed magic users. Useless on your first playthrough, but oh so delicious on the following ones. It even outdamages 40 MAG boosted Holy Dances.

I have it on Daichi early on (since he can use this build a lot earlier than Hinako can) and its beautiful.

Beat the game (once) an hour ago.
Went the Anguished One route, had to reply the last fight a couple times to find a build that worked best (and circumstances that didn't completely fuck me). In the end I squeaked by with the MC and a Kenshin demon using Deathbound and an attack.

Now I'm starting a new game with no exp limits, no level limits, mitama fusions, a Tuesday boss and all my cracked skills. (That last one I'm especially happy about.)

cj_iwakura

You guessed right. Bring along phys resist and fire attacks. If you have null phys and null curse, this boss can't touch you.
Just be sure to kill off the mini ones as soon as they appear, the tentacles can wait. I'e never ran out of time during this fight.

This boss is pure evil. Had no idea it'd duplicate that much.

jaxword

Woah, check out this broken build I found on gamefaqs:

Character: Physical attackers that can use the required skills
(CMD)
-Mediaharan or nothing
-(Sama)Recarm or nothing

(PSV)
-Attack all
-Ultimate hit
-Double strike

Auto-Skill
-Rage Soul

Congratulations, you are now a killing physical machine that now gives 0 fucks about everything (since you're now dealing heavy almighty damage!!!) boss in the game barring 2 secret ones THAT STILL get wrecked. Yes, physical attackers have officially surpassed magic users. Useless on your first playthrough, but oh so delicious on the following ones. It even outdamages 40 MAG boosted Holy Dances.

How can you get "ultimate hit" ?

My goodness, my goodness.

Taking out Ronaldo during the AO's path was the hardest fight in the entire game for me, so far. Taking out Yamato later was a cakewalk compared to Ronaldo. Those shields! Cast over and over and over again! That Dragon Bind, killing my Extras! Took me like 5 tries to kill that bastard.

Koroviev

*Day 7!
I've sided with JPs. While I'm thrilled to have Fumi, I was really hoping I'd have Otome too. I'm going to try to persuade her and Joe to join us, but I'm not too optimistic :(

duckroll

I beat the game yesterday. The last day on a whole felt kinda underwhelming after Day 7. It was fight after fight, there wasn't much story left, and if you have really good demons it's just a matter of walking over to targets and killing them. The final boss is more interesting/fun than the final boss of DS1 imo, but the final Day in DS1 had WAY better bosses in general before the final battle.

duckroll

I'd be interested to see how they sold in the US. I'd wager Devil Survivor far outdid Strange Journey. The SMT brand has way more impact in Japan, since it's rarely used.

Okay, so I checked.

Devil Survivor sold more than Strange Journey in the US, but the gap is smaller than the gap between Devil Survivor and Strange Journey in Japan. So Strange Journey still sold more. US sales in general are much lower than the JP sales though.

I beat the game yesterday. The last day on a whole felt kinda underwhelming after Day 7. It was fight after fight, there wasn't much story left, and if you have really good demons it's just a matter of walking over to targets and killing them. The final boss is more interesting/fun than the final boss of DS1 imo, but the final Day in DS1 had WAY better bosses in general before the final battle.

Yeah, past day 7 the fights get a little too routine, esp. with good demon setups as you mentioned. Feels like they wanted to stretch it out for the sake of 'more content'. I didn't like DS2's plot as much as the original, either. It's still a good tactics game.

Day 7 started, on the
AO Path.

Oh man is it gonna hurt. It's like True Demon all over again.

I just beat that path last night. If you're anything like me,
Ronaldo
is the fight that's going to give you the most trouble. I've heard people have trouble with
Keita
, too, but I wouldn't know because he died in my game. As far as difficulty is concerned, are you worried about all the fights where
you won't have a full party?
Don't be. You have to plan your existing parties that much more carefully, but those are still a cakewalk compared to Day 8's battles.

Was very pleased with the
AO
ending, it felt very "right" to me. I'm usually a Chaos guy, but in the absence of a Chaos route in DS2 I chose this ending for my first playthrough for its promise of
true freedom
and whatnot, which seemed like the closest thing.

Sigh. I only had 190 points to carry over into my new game+, enough to unlock everything I needed and port over exactly one demon - Oberon, level 66, knows Samarecarm, Holy Dance, Fire Dance, Phys Repel...not my strongest, but a great utility demon that'll be helpful until the end.

Starting new game+ now. =)
Going to side with Yamato, god help me

Torraz

Made it to day 7. Went with
the Anguished one. I made it through the first battles and now have a full team again. Jungo didnt want to rejoin but now I have my magic MC, hinako, daichi and al salduq. The problem is that hinako/daichi fulfill the same purpose (str/agi) and al salduq seems to be a jack of all trades guy

Let's see how this pans out... I hope I didnt, again, pick (one of) the hardest routes.

Made it to day 7. Went with
the Anguished one. I made it through the first battles and now have a full team again. Jungo didnt want to rejoin but now I have my magic MC, hinako, daichi and al salduq. The problem is that hinako/daichi fulfill the same purpose (str/agi) and al salduq seems to be a jack of all trades guy

Let's see how this pans out... I hope I didnt, again, pick (one of) the hardest routes.

From what I hear it is the hardest, but
if you already finished all the fights in which you have only MC and Saiduq
you should be in the clear. Oh, wait.
I hear Polaris packs Pierce in the AO route only, so there's that to think about

Sadist

Received my copy Tuesday and I just reached the second day. I like it. Going to fuse some demons, but I guess I have to experiment a bit. Lol at the fusions though, Shaggy Dog?

P90

Am I the only one tired of high schoolers in megaten games?

There are quite a few in DS2 that aren't in high school. I don't have a problem with their use of high schoolers. I'd even like one with characters in super-deformed or Nendoroid forms.

Top Bottom