• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 |OT| Big Dipper and Bigger Boobs

Mitama

Ahhh...this is next on my list, after KoA: Reckoning. The original Survivor may have been my favorite SMT game to date (due in no small part to its excellent storyline and multiple endings). I assume DS2 holds up, in that regard? Can't wait to get my hands on it.

There's still multiple endings, yup. Story so far has been pretty good, but not as good as Devil Survivor. I'm hoping it'll still turn out great though. They've also added some really nice stuff that wasn't in Devil Survivor, like a Demon Compendium, Fate Links, extra unlockables for new game+ (so multiple playthroughs will actually be rewarding, you don't get everything just handed to you).

PK Gaming

Holy shit, Thursday's boss is fucking insane.

It has the ability to
-hit everyone before the skirmish starts for 130+ damage
-hits twice
-insanely powerful spells
-STARTS WITH A FUCKING EXTRA TURN

thats like... 5 SEPERATE ATTACKS IN ONE TURN.

He also has HUGE RANGE, the map is claustrophobic and there's poison everywhere. You are one cheap boss...

I will enjoy breaking you hehehe

There's still multiple endings, yup. Story so far has been pretty good, but not as good as Devil Survivor. I'm hoping it'll still turn out great though. They've also added some really nice stuff that wasn't in Devil Survivor, like a Demon Compendium, Fate Links, extra unlockables for new game+ (so multiple playthroughs will actually be rewarding, you don't get everything just handed to you).

Cool - replays in the original were pretty easy and got samey after beating it two or three times. This sounds like a game I can dig right into.

Jenga

Banned
This game feels much more like Nocturne than SMT1 like the original devil survivor.

probably the only SMT game where the law side is actually cool and likable. also, reynaldo's path is basically the maniken reason from nocturne too

I don't trust BB on niche games anymore, not after they fucked me out of Ar Tonelico Qoga.

It'll sit in "back order" and then they'll eventually take the page down.

Ended up buying it through gamefly, Fuck Best Buy

I preordered through Best Buy against my better judgement because I had a gift card. I got an email today saying it was on back order, and when I called to complain they told me that Best Buy wouldn't be getting any copies until 3-23-12. I should have just ordered through Amazon like I was going to do originally.

This game feels much more like Nocturne than SMT1 like the original devil survivor.

probably the only SMT game where the law side is actually cool and likable. also, reynaldo's path is basically the maniken reason from nocturne too

I'm a Chaos guy, myself.
Naoya
from the original was a dick, and was obviously using you, but the Chaos ending for that game is still my favorite. My favorite Nocturne ending will always be Yosuga.

Cool to hear that Law is finally being given a fair shake. The original Survivor was actually a lot better with Law than most games in the series, so I look forward to what you consider an improvement.

Zekes!

Just got to
Osaka
, which is neat because it dawned on me that all the areas so far had been the same as from DS1. Now that I've changed locations, those reused locations kind of feel like a nice throwback instead of rehashing.

I was able to complete DS and DS Overclocked (Yuzu Route, duh) on the first playthrough without playing any free battles. I doubt I'll be able to do that with DS2's first playthrough.

I'm probably picking this up tomorrow even though my backlog is becoming huge. But it's Atlas so I have to do it.

This isn't becoming rare already is it?

Sianos

Hope it isn't already too late to snag a copy.

I'd normally wait and snap this up when the backlog recedes, but with Atlus games it's now or never.

Koroviev

Hope it isn't already too late to snag a copy.

I'd normally wait and snap this up when the backlog recedes, but with Atlus games it's now or never.

That's my philosophy. As I said in another thread, Atlus pretty much has me covered for pre-orders this year. My backlog is...shameful. I make myself feel a little better by not counting Steam games ._.

bubnbob

Banned
Holy shit, Thursday's boss is fucking insane.

It has the ability to
-hit everyone before the skirmish starts for 130+ damage
-hits twice
-insanely powerful spells
-STARTS WITH A FUCKING EXTRA TURN

thats like... 5 SEPERATE ATTACKS IN ONE TURN.

He also has HUGE RANGE, the map is claustrophobic and there's poison everywhere. You are one cheap boss...

I will enjoy breaking you hehehe

seinfeldi'mout.gif

I had fun, consider me done

PK Gaming

seinfeldi'mout.gif

I had fun, consider me done

It's not ALL bad.

The item Makato gives you before the battle makes a HUGE difference. It cancels out the move it uses at the beginning of the skirmish, and the huge toxic spot in front of the boss is gone. This makes the boss "possible" but its still challenging, since demons spawn like crazy.

Make sure you're MC is at least 39-40 in this fight!

Golbez

About halfway through day 2 and still looking forward to the compendium. Any chance that it's registering my demons before I get it?

PK Gaming

About halfway through day 2 and still looking forward to the compendium. Any chance that it's registering my demons before I get it

It does not, which is a shame.

So... which navigator did you guys choose? Male or Female?

I went with Tico-Tico (female)
She's just to damn cute. Wheeeeee!

Golbez

Alright! Just beat the second day boss while one of his spawns was sitting on the "blow up this square and you lose the battle" spot. One more turn would have given him the chance, but I got a lucky critical in.

Compendium is day three? Alright, bring it on.

Uthred

Would people recommend playing DS1 before this (as the improvements might make doing it the other way around a bit grating)?

Kazerei

Banned
Any pre-order bonuses?

Nope.

So is the game good or not?

I've added a few more reviews to the OP. The fact that this game requires strategy seems to be taken as a positive thing!

Would people recommend playing DS1 before this (as the improvements might make doing it the other way around a bit grating)?

If you have (or will have) a N. American 3DS, you should absolutely get DSO.

If you still really want to play both DS1 and DS2, then I suppose you'll have to settle for the original. Or you could just skip it.

Got my copy in the male.

1st impressions:

Glad the female isn't the pathetic coward this time around.

I like the death clip concept a lot more than the Laplace Mail.

Woah! Some actual physical skills? Yessssssssssssss. Though my MC will still be going the magic route, at least the first time around.

I dislike the auction system this game uses. Why can't I bid after seeing my opponents bid :(

This game is looking to be pretty damn good.

How many endings are there?

PK Gaming

OH MY GOD.

Just finished Day 6... I got the scare of my fucking life.
There's a very strong chance one of the main characters will die.

Make sure always create backup saves, ALWAYS.
As an aside, i've finally hit my stride, and my characters are really strong.

MC / Daichi / Io / Joe is my point team, with some little mixing up here and there. I fucking love how demon skills level up...
Some evil wave users can get a new ability that increases your range by 4 (6 in total!!!) I CAN EVEN OUTRANGE CERTAIN BOSSES

Mitama

No wonder dude, Joe and Daichi have terrible stat growth :p. Io is still cool though. Any particular reason why you picked them? It just strikes me as curious since there's so much better characters out there. Keita and Jungo excel in STR while Fumi and Otome excel at MAG.

Sadist

Wait what

cLbg3.jpg

Hehe

7threst

I've added a few more reviews to the OP. The fact that this game requires strategy seems to be taken as a positive thing!

It is a positive thing indeed. However, it does make the game harder than the first one which required less strategy. I had to adjust and really pay attention to what I was doing after losing the first free battle I did.

It is a positive thing indeed. However, it does make the game harder than the first one which required less strategy. I had to adjust and really pay attention to what I was doing after losing the first free battle I did.

Woah wait, this game is more difficult than DS1?

Granted, only the boss battles were difficult in DS1.

7threst

Made it to day 4 with no free battles. The first 3 days are definitely more difficult under those conditions than DS1.

For this, I have massive respect. I am the sort of gamer to just grind grind grind when he can just to avoid a game over in a hard battle. However, stuff like that when overdone can also quickly kill a game by making the game too easy.

Woah wait, this game is more difficult than DS1?

Granted, only the boss battles were difficult in DS1.

Yes, this game is harder but only if you are like me, and lack strategy :)

PK Gaming

No wonder dude, Joe and Daichi have terrible stat growth :p. Io is still cool though. Any particular reason why you picked them? It just strikes me as curious since there's so much better characters out there. Keita and Jungo excel in STR while Fumi and Otome excel at MAG.

Well, Joe and Daichi are just solid all around characters. High speed + magic/str. Daichi in comparison to Keita / Hanako is only ever so slightly weaker, so he's more of a flavor character. Fumi I find is an overrated glass cannon; I don't really like her much, but lategame she's probably good. Jungo is 1 dimensional, and isn't that good. The best physical attackers are fast, since they get to abuse the broken multistrike skill. Otome is pretty fucking beastly, thats true but I honestly prefer Joe's speed.

I'll admit that Daichi doesn't have a niche, but I don't really mind that. Joe on the other is a legitimately good mage with incredible speed. Shame his low vit stat means he can't learn force boost related skills :/. Io is the worst of the 3 since her (unique) stat growths don't really let her compete against the faster mages and she's also slow as dirt, which can be really annoying. I still use her anyway since she's a really good tank (since STR = DEF in this game...) In short, I basically use those 3 characters because they're my favorites, and the gap between characters isn't that big.

There wasn't a single point in the game where I felt like "damn I might have won if I used X character."

Sadist said:
http://i.imgur.com/cLbg3.jpg

Wish I could "like" gaf posts.

bubnbob

Banned
I'm really trying to enjoy this game, but, I'm only at the fight "Demon Hacked" and every monster is just kicking my ass. Do I have to sit back and fuse demons with demons with demons? Do I have to level up? Why does it feel like they're still stronger than me? Do I need to have reserves of demons?

I'm about to just drop it and trade it in, I'm really not in the mood for watching myself lose over and over.

sixclaws

Banned
I'm really trying to enjoy this game, but, I'm only at the fight "Demon Hacked" and every monster is just kicking my ass. Do I have to sit back and fuse demons with demons with demons? Do I have to level up? Why does it feel like they're still stronger than me? Do I need to have reserves of demons?

I'm about to just drop it and trade it in, I'm really not in the mood for watching myself lose over and over.

What level are you, I just beat it with people around level 12/13? Also it never hurts to have reserve demons just so you have extra characters, also make sure that you're not using the same demons from lower levels. Fuse them into higher level demons and you should be good.

Top Bottom