• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei (iOS) |OT| $5.99 until March 31st

Iolo

And I just recently dug up an old magazine "Mega Drive Fan" that I bought in 1994, with a 4-page color preview of Shin Megami Tensei for Mega CD. Looked interesting, I wonder if I should pick this up.

So far,

PROS: THE MUSIC, The added ps1/gba stuff, exclusive gba stuff in here too, the huge graphical update over the snes one, streamlined menus.

CONS: Very choppy scrolling like the GBA one.

Will post more as I get more into it.

How hard/obtuse is this compared to IV? If one has a good amount of experience with other SNES RPGs will they be able to get the swing of this?

Aeana

For convenience's sake, don't forget that you can hold B and use the dpad to strafe around without turning.

I might have considered picking it up if it was on Android. Hate how Android seems to get the short end of the stick when it comes to games.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Beat the first boss.

A little helpful advice to anyone not there yet: take the machete from the Law Hero and give it to your main character once you meet him.

randomkid

Haha this is mad embarrassing, in my first battle a weredog got the drop on me and took me out in two hits when I failed to run away in time. But after gameover I restarted on the same square in the mall as if nothing had happened. I remember reading about an autosave feature before every battle, is that what that was? There didn't seem to be any penalty!

Haha this is mad embarrassing, in my first battle a weredog got the drop on me and took me out in two hits when I failed to run away in time. But after gameover I restarted on the same square in the mall as if nothing had happened. I remember reading about an autosave feature before every battle, is that what that was? There didn't seem to be any penalty!

Yeah I've already died twice and I'm not even 15 mins into the game.

Aeana

Stupid game won't give me any encounters with knockers. Sigh.
EDIT: It finally gives me one and it's on a full moon. Ugh!

Escaping the hospital, my current posse is KAZUYA, YUJI, Pixie, Brownie, and Weredog.

How much do Kaja's and Unda's stack in this, was it 3 times in this or 4?

Also, is the choppy 3d dungeon crawling bothering anyone? I am only slightly bothered, but the good new things outweigh this.

Nerokis

Bought! Even though I picked up SMT 3 some months ago and SMT 4 is very much within reach, I'm thinking this will be the first SMT game I play. That I'll be formally introduced to this series on an iOS device feels strange to me, but that's outweighed by the fact that I'll be starting with (a very late localization!) the first entry. Everything I've seen so far about the game, especially this OT, has me really excited to jump in. :)

Aeana

Escaping the hospital, my current posse is KAZUYA, YUJI, Pixie, Brownie, and Weredog.

How much do Kaja's and Unda's stack in this, was it 3 times in this or 4?

Also, is the choppy 3d dungeon crawling bothering anyone? I am only slightly bothered, but the good new things outweigh this.

The dungeons are much smoother than the SNES version, so I'm surprised it's bothering you. The only version with smooth scrolling in dungeons is the PSX version. Hold B while moving forward to go faster, that might help you I guess. Doesn't bother me at all, personally.

randomkid

I can't effing recruit anyone, all I want is stupid Pixie. Now I know why people complain about grinding in these games, first time I've ever had to run around in circles for half an hour in order to get something I want.

Greedy Knockers keep demanding Life Stones I don't got!

Edit: AGH PIXIE ON A FULL MOON

Aeana

I can't effing recruit anyone, all I want is stupid Pixie. Now I know why people complain about grinding in these games, first time I've ever had to run around in circles for half an hour in order to get something I want.

Greedy Knockers keep demanding Life Stones I don't got!

Edit: AGH PIXIE ON A FULL MOON

Killing pixies will get you life stones!
And if you raise your intelligence then the requirements go down. If you aim for about 15 intelligence on your main character, that does nicely for the first third of the game or so.

Also, just checked out the first vision item. I enjoyed how close the translation was to my hasty one, it even made some of the same reductions I did.

The dungeons are much smoother than the SNES version, so I'm surprised it's bothering you. The only version with smooth scrolling in dungeons is the PSX version. Hold B while moving forward to go faster, that might help you I guess. Doesn't bother me at all, personally.

I dunno, I just played the SNES version a few hours before this came out, and that seemed to go a little smoother and faster. It isn't a big deal though. So Aeana, whats the deal with the vision items? Do you just get them throughout the story, or are they hidden and you have to seek them out?

randomkid

Haha 2 minutes later I get both Pixie and Knocker to join up back to back.

Currently listening to this sweet extended boss music, so good, so good.

I will say that the choppy walls do bug me a bit coming from trying out the PSN version, but holding down B does help.

Link1110

First impression: Playing the game in portrait mode feels like you are using an old-fashioned sci-fi Gameboy. That's surprisingly cool.

Second impression: Somehow I can't get landscape mode working. The screen won't rotate when I rotate my phone and I can't find an option to rotate the screen in-game either... Is it bugged?
I found it by accident. Put your finger on up and swipe upwards.

Aeana

I dunno, I just played the SNES version a few hours before this came out, and that seemed to go a little smoother and faster. It isn't a big deal though. So Aeana, whats the deal with the vision items? Do you just get them throughout the story, or are they hidden and you have to seek them out?

Most are automatic through the story, IIRC a couple require you to go somewhere specific after an event, and some are alignment-specific, and some don't show up until after you beat the game. As an early example, after
Pascal joins you, you can go to his little alcove to get a gnawed ball. This isn't automatically gained, you have to actually check that part.

Most are automatic through the story, IIRC a couple require you to go somewhere specific after an event, and some are alignment-specific, and some don't show up until after you beat the game. As an early example, after
Pascal joins you, you can go to his little alcove to get a gnawed ball. This isn't automatically gained, you have to actually check that part.

Ah I see, I shall keep a look out then! So, when does the demon compendium show up, as soon as you fuse something, or later on in the game?

chrono01

I usually resort to food items.

Popcorn and Donut.

Portrait mode seems like it'd fit better on a tablet. For a phone, though, it kinda feels better overlaid? Dunno yet.
I usually go with Chrono Trigger characters:

Chrono/Crono
Marle
Lucca
Frog
Magus
Robo
Ayla

etc.

Aeana

Ah I see, I shall keep a look out then! So, when does the demon compendium show up, as soon as you fuse something, or later on in the game?

I dunno what people are talking about with regards to the compendium. I don't remember any such thing in the iOS version. The GBA version, and by extension the iOS version, does have a dictionary feature that lets you view the lore, but it's from the title screen, and does not let you summon any demons.

I dunno what people are talking about with regards to the compendium. I don't remember any such thing in the iOS version. The GBA version, and by extension the iOS version, does have a dictionary feature that lets you view the lore, but it's from the title screen, and does not let you summon any demons.

Huh, I wonder how that even spread then.

randomkid

Wow, what the heck, misinformation! I'll take it out of the OP.

I'm still not sure whether I like portrait or horizontal more on the Mini, I was playing mostly in portrait for a while but there's some sorta awkward finger placement occasionally, never sure whether to rest on the buttons or not, I'm gonna keep experimenting.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm still not sure whether I like portrait or horizontal more on the Mini, I was playing mostly in portrait for a while but there's some sorta awkward finger placement occasionally, never sure whether to rest on the buttons or not, I'm gonna keep experimenting.
Yeah, that's really what I didn't like about it, so I decided to go with horizontal instead since the phone is smaller.

That, and um, I'm still trying to get used to using a smartphone. Heh.

Maaaaan, this soundtrack's still so hot; it's been a while since I played SMT1, so now I'm remembering why I like this one so much. Beat up the first boss at this point, but I might resort to studying for a bit and putting this down. I kinda like this version. The menus, really.

Nerve bullets are fine, but charm is the king status effect in SMT1. It even works on most bosses in the game. Once charmed, they will attack themselves or allies for 4 turns.

Sometimes for regular battles you might opt for something else, like Medusa bullets, but charm is so good. Marin Karin, sexy dance, charm bullets. So good.
Missed this earlier, but this is exactly why I like using it a lot. Bosses aren't immune to it, so it's best to take advantage of it while you do other stuff if you need to.

Top Bottom