• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei (iOS) |OT| $5.99 until March 31st

SJS

Haha this is mad embarrassing, in my first battle a weredog got the drop on me and took me out in two hits when I failed to run away in time. But after gameover I restarted on the same square in the mall as if nothing had happened. I remember reading about an autosave feature before every battle, is that what that was? There didn't seem to be any penalty!

Wait, there's an autosave feature in this version? Wow, you guys have it easy.

Haven't blacked out on my run yet, but then again, I've played this game before.

I can't effing recruit anyone, all I want is stupid Pixie. Now I know why people complain about grinding in these games, first time I've ever had to run around in circles for half an hour in order to get something I want.

Greedy Knockers keep demanding Life Stones I don't got!

Edit: AGH PIXIE ON A FULL MOON

Nevermind, you guys have it pretty hard. I mean, I won't say that negotiation is easy, especially in earlygame where you don't have much to offer, but it doesn't take much effort for me.

Here's some recruitment tips, and I can't verify whether they work in this version, but try them:

- Some enemies CANNOT be recruited. This is because they are "dark" (this is not related to their alignment, there are "dark" Law characters too).

- Unlike in SMT3 onward, enemies have predictable responses (relative to what demon they are), so if you've got a good memory, you can continually farm Macca or Magnetite while running away. Recruitment ability is also determined by whether your INT is higher than the monster's.

- If you fuck up, wait off one turn of attacks (use "defend" or just weaken the enemy if you want to be safe) and try again immediately afterwards. A failed negotiation doesn't equal a need to find another incarnation of an enemy.

- Saying that you don't have something while making offerings does not necessarily equal a failed negotiation, especially if you've agreed to requests before. Over time, you can judge whether a request refusal will trigger a failed negotiation.

randomkid

Wait, there's an autosave feature in this version? Wow, you guys have it easy.

Haven't blacked out on my run yet, but then again, I've played this game before.

Oh so have I, I was just whining cuz I recruited a Pixie in my very first battle playing the Super Famicom version and this time it took relatively forever.

- If you fuck up, wait off one turn of attacks (use "defend" or just weaken the enemy if you want to be safe) and try again immediately afterwards. A failed negotiation doesn't equal a need to find another incarnation of an enemy.

This is a new tip for me though! I would try again when there were multiple enemies in the group but didn't know you could hit up the same demon twice, good lookin out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A few pages back, I have some screens that offer what I believe to be the optimal setups based on my previous experience with the game.
LOL, you know, part of that was the stat allocation I was going to post until I saw this post and looked back. Good job. I usually put more into stamina and speed because that's how I generally roll. I do inch a little more into speed than luck, even if it's just a little to have the option to act faster.

SJS

LOL, you know, part of that was the stat allocation I was going to post until I saw this post and looked back. Good job. I usually put more into stamina and speed because that's how I generally roll. I do inch a little more into speed than luck, even if it's just a little to have the option to act faster.

You're not necessarily wrong to do that. STM and SPD are the best stats to allocate to in general. But there are unique abilities and circumstances for each character, and I think my setups are tailored to that. i.e., the MC needs INT to negotiate with demons and a brief boost in STR to get through earlygame optimally.

VISIONARY SPOILERS

Wait....your mom got Pascal...from MISTER NAKAJIMA? UWOTM8

That's an excellent contribution to this topic. Then again, to be brutally honest, I don't know if anyone here will understand the implications of that.

Well it's a faithful emulation that runs at 60FPS which is more than I can say for the godawful $9.99 Chrono Trigger port.

EDIT: no iCloud game save syncing though... Just tried to load a save game from my iPad on my iPhone and no bueno.

Meia

Well it's a faithful emulation that runs at 60FPS which is more than I can say for the godawful $9.99 Chrono Trigger port.

EDIT: no iCloud game save syncing though... Just tried to load a save game from my iPad on my iPhone and no bueno.

That's disappointing. Was hoping to play on my iPad at home and on my ipod touch at work. :(

Thoraxes

Just to be clear, there's no native iPad version right?

I downloaded the one from the OP. It looks good on both that and my iPod Touch though. Runs nicely on the touch too, despite it being 4G.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ah, totally forgot about the OP. Downloaded this on the way to work. Can't wait to get more playtime in-between Diablo 3, Dark Souls 2, and FFX...

Hope my stat allocations work for the hero: equal parts STR/VIT/AGI (I assume he never gets magic).
Law: Straight INT
Chaos: Half STR/VIT

Aeana

Ah, totally forgot about the OP. Downloaded this on the way to work. Can't wait to get more playtime in-between Diablo 3, Dark Souls 2, and FFX...

Hope my stat allocations work for the hero: equal parts STR/VIT/AGI (I assume he never gets magic).
Law: Straight INT
Chaos: Half STR/VIT
Do not neglect intelligence on the hero or negotiations won't go your way.

Aeana

It plays fine on iPads in 2x mode. It is just an iPhone app though, so you do have to deal with the internal app scaler, but it's really not so bad for this game considering the game already has to be scaled up from the original GBA resolution.

Springy

Also is this ipad friendly... I'm new to the apple thing

I think it's a universal app which means, once you buy it, you can download and play it on iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Works very well on my iPad in portrait mode, I might add.

My turn to ask: is this idiot friendly? I'm new to the SMT thing.

I think it's a universal app which means, once you buy it, you can download and play it on iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Works very well on my iPad in portrait mode, I might add.

well almost all apps are cross-playable; universal means that there's a native iPad version as well as iPhone. Unless I'm mis-reading things, this one is made for iPhone, which means the iPad experience will be... sub-optimal.

Can anyone confirm that?

Does the game support either iPhone Retina graphics or iPhone widescreen? I actually have an iPad only, but the presence of those two things also affects the quality of the internal scaling if you have an iPad 3rd generation or later.

bobawesome

I'm heartbroken that there's no iPad version as I hate playing iPhone games due to that tacky 1x icon that's onscreen. I'm willing to make an exception but I won't be happy about it. :(

also

Banned
I dunno what people are talking about with regards to the compendium. I don't remember any such thing in the iOS version. The GBA version, and by extension the iOS version, does have a dictionary feature that lets you view the lore, but it's from the title screen, and does not let you summon any demons.

But just a few pages ago you said that it features a compedium...

No, it has new features not found in any other release, including the demon compendium. It's based on the GBA version, but it has the PSX version's music too.
Did you mix up the ''dictionary feature'' and the demon compendium?

SJS

No, your ability to endure multiple battles while crawling complex dungeons is tested. Battles themselves are actually pretty easy relative to later SMT games if you know what you're doing (especially boss battles); the challenge is in getting to where you need to go.

Aeana

But just a few pages ago you said that it features a compedium...

Did you mix up the ''dictionary feature'' and the demon compendium?
Yes, sorry, the name is similar but the functionality is different. And for a moment I believed what people were saying about it being added until I thought about it for a bit.

esterk

Go Atlus! Pleasant surprise, I'll be getting this for sure. Hopefully they can port it to Vita as well down the road.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
picked it up at 2am last night and I'm 2h in. MC keeps dying, probably should've bought any equipment at all!

randomkid

picked it up at 2am last night and I'm 2h in. MC keeps dying, probably should've bought any equipment at all!

Considering there doesn't appear to be any penalty at all for death, maybe brute forcing your way through with the biggest offense possible is a viable strategy haha

partridge

I'm heartbroken that there's no iPad version as I hate playing iPhone games due to that tacky 1x icon that's onscreen. I'm willing to make an exception but I won't be happy about it. :(
I thought the 1x/2x toggle was removed in iOS7? Or maybe that only applies to non-retina iPads?

Anyway, when playing in portrait mode on my non-retina iPad mini the time/date/Wi-Fi strength remains overlaid on top of the game screen, which is very distracting. Is there anyway to fix that? I'm on iOS 7.1.

Namikaze

well almost all apps are cross-playable; universal means that there's a native iPad version as well as iPhone. Unless I'm mis-reading things, this one is made for iPhone, which means the iPad experience will be... sub-optimal.

Can anyone confirm that?

Yeah, the game looks very blurry on my retina iPad mini since it isn't a native app lol. I'm not even bothered though, since it looks blurry regardless of whether you set the game to display in iPad or iPhone resolution ( 2x and 1x while using an iPhone app on your iPad). I prefer the bigger screen experience.

Meia

It's an old game so I don't care how it looks, it works on my new iPad Air, so that's all I care about. :p

So, I'm trying to make this the first ever SMT game I ever beat(after getting most of the way through Nocturne and stopping, starting then stopping SJ, then getting up to like lv30 in SMT4), but man things are different in this one.

Did I understand things right when demons don't ever get exp? So do they never get new spells? So is there ever any point to actually keeping them around since there's a resource that drains with them out? No offense to my favorite Demon/Persona Pixie, but she keeps getting one shot in battles anyway...

Aeana

It's an old game so I don't care how it looks, it works on my new iPad Air, so that's all I care about. :p

So, I'm trying to make this the first ever SMT game I ever beat(after getting most of the way through Nocturne and stopping, starting then stopping SJ, then getting up to like lv30 in SMT4), but man things are different in this one.

Did I understand things right when demons don't ever get exp? So do they never get new spells? So is there ever any point to actually keeping them around since there's a resource that drains with them out? No offense to my favorite Demon/Persona Pixie, but she keeps getting one shot in battles anyway...
You're not supposed to hold onto demons past when they're useful. Fuse, fuse, fuse. They do not gain experience, they do not learn new spells.

Dantis

Actually thinking of buying this. How long is it? I'd kind of prefer that it was on the shorter side of things.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Does the game use cloud saves between ipad/iphone?

Meia

You're not supposed to hold onto demons past when they're useful. Fuse, fuse, fuse. They do not gain experience, they do not learn new spells.

Right, but in future games, there's still a purpose to even USING them. What is the purpose here? I can barely even say "To help in fights" since they can't survive even one attack so far. This is made worse if the game is going to go how it looks like with having up to 4 actual human party members.

Aeana

Right, but in future games, there's still a purpose to even USING them. What is the purpose here? I can barely even say "To help in fights" since they can't survive even one attack so far. This is made worse if the game is going to go how it looks like with having up to 4 actual human party members.
But that won't be the norm. Demons can be very, very strong.

Top Bottom