• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

oiZWnPy.png

cAcziBA.png

Every year in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado, all children who have turned 18 that year make a pilgrimage to Mikado Castle to take part what is k nown as the "Gauntlet Rite," a traditional ceremony to determine a person's worthiness to join the elite ranks of the Samurai, noble warriors and protectors of the realm. You and your friend Issachar are from a simple village, and today is the day that your life may change forever...
IIw3yGY.png

E0P4Jy1.png

• A World to Discover, A Mystery to Uncover - The life of a Samurai is fraught with peril; Players must leave the safety of Mikado in order to defend it from the invading demons; There the story unfolds as the true history of Mikado comes to light
  • Demon Collection and Fusion - The core mechanic of the Shin Megami Tensei series returns with more than 400 demons to recruit, collect, and fuse together
  • Choices and Consequences - Throughout the player's journey, they must choose their own path; The choices will affect them, other NPCs, and the overall outcome of the story
  • Pressing the Combat Advantage - The Press Turn system requires strategic thinking for every battle; Pinpointing an enemy's weakness will provide a vital extra turn for players to exploit
  • A Finely Tuned RPG Experience - Beautiful graphics, extensive voice work, 3D dungeons, and a branching story make for a solid RPG adventure

r0YnHe9.png

4pr8GI9.png

TMSgEOv.png
nmHO8sO.png
jy6n3gp.png
dzmwvXA.png
QsxRIWt.png

• Protagonist (Default name: Flynn) - The player character. After turning 18, he made his way to Mikado Castle to take part in that year's Gauntlet Rite, and became one of only five chosen to become new Samurai. His actions will have grave repercussions, but his choices are up to you...
  • Jonathan - A gentle young man with a good upbringing. While the differences in personalities may sometimes cause the other new Samurai recruits to become at odds with each other, Jonathan is a natural mediator and tries to bring everyone to a common purpose.
  • Walter - An ill-mannered young man who speaks bluntly. Despite his off-putting demeanour, he does have a caring heart and believes in doing what is best.
  • Isabeau- The sole female of this year's crop of recruits, she is strong-willed yet dignified. However, there is a side of her that the others may never discover.
  • Navarre - A Luxuror selected as one of the new Samurai. An elitist and a sore loser, he openly shows hostility toward the protagonist and Walter who are Casualry-born. His road to becoming a full-fledged Samurai will be a jarring one.
rrQPXFo.png

HYeEuRE.png
ZHZ0u0Z.png

• Hope - The leader of the Samurai. He trains the prentice Samurai. While strict when it comes to missions, he is not a man to be tied down by rules. He cares for his troops and puts the well-being of the people as his top priority.
  • Issachar - While he and the protagonist are the same age, Issachar has always acted as something of an older brother. They grew up together, and Issachar has always dreamed of becoming a Samurai himself one day.
Ys7NwFE.png

mJ5KQUs.png
MYOCyOP.png

• Tayama - The leader of the organization known as the Ashura-kai, he is well known through Tokyo. The people both fear and idolize him. Tayama was the one who successfully negotiated with the demons to bring order to the chaotic city. However, nobody is certain exactly what kind of deal he brokered to protected the human population...
  • Kaga - A strong and confident woman and a member of the Ring of Gaea. She does not agree with Tayama and the Ashura-kai's stance, and continues to oppose their ideas as a member of the Ring of Gaea. It is said that the Ring of Gaea has many fighters as skilled as Kaga among their numbers.
R6GSJ1q.png

• Black Samurai - This mysterious character appears before the protagonist and his comrades more than once. She speaks in a cryptic manner, as if she is trying to lead them to answers while simultaneously seducing them down a dark path. When they encounter her in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado, she seems to have knowledge of both the kingdom and Tokyo...
yL5K1G4.png

OIsnLmX.png

Shin Megami Tensei IV - Nintendo eShop Trailer (Nintendo 3DS)
pbphCJj.png

wjoCrUV.png

• Question - Does the game have dual audio?
  • Answer - No. Only an English dub is available.
  • Question - What difficulties are available?
  • Answer - Only normal is available at the beginning. Easy is available after dying twice in the game. Hard is only available post-completion. The difficulty can be changed at any time.
  • Question - Is the game pretty challenging?
  • Answer - In the beginning it is a bit of an uphill battle, but once you are familiar with the system and understand the game, you should be able to handle yourself. But be warned, there can always be a surprise battle to knock you out, or a boss that won't hesitate putting you down for the count! The statement "Getting SMT'd" exists for a reason!
  • Question - I've only played the Persona games! Is this recommended for me?
  • Answer - Of course! While there are some different mechanics in SMT games, the framework is mostly the same. Strengthen your demons, master your skills, and press on (or in this case, press turn)! Because people can love both SMT and Persona, they're like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. If there is any time to jump into the mainline games, now better time than the present!
  • Question - I want a good story and characters. Is that here?
  • Answer - The game has a large cast of interesting characters and a quite serious narrative. With the paths you can take throughout the game, it should be a ride no matter where you go.
  • Question - Do I need to play previous SMT games to understand this?
  • Answer - No. There are a few throwback references here and there, but you'll be fine!
Special thanks to Volcynika for allowing me to yoink most of the assets from the NA Shin Megami Tensei IV OT and LayLa for OT subheading suggestion,

It's finally out European peeps ='D, been quite a journey trying to get any information for the European release since that EU Nintendo Direct. It’s an incredible shame it's an eShop only title for us, but you take what you get...now let us finally enjoy this game =)

gngf123

At last.

Can't pick this game up today sadly, but I'll probably pick it up tomorrow. Looking forward to finally playing this, even if I am still bitter about digital only.

Hopefully this release goes somewhat well, no Devil Survivor situation or anything like that.

Yagharek

Phenomenal choice of OT subtitle.

After Bravely Default I am still in the mood for a good rpg so I might ignore the ridiculous delay and pick this up tomorrow.

Heartfyre

As soon as I saw that subtitle, I had to enter the thread. Amazing.

I have three 3DS games in my backlog to get through first, but I have to say, I'm still tempted to buy this today. I probably won't, but the temptation is there.

I hope it's everything you guys expect it to be. We've waited long enough for it.

Reknoc

Gonna be too busy with Senran Kagura, Samurai Warriors and tomorrow Freedom Wars, games that managed to come out same week as the US, for a while but I'll probably get this next month maybe.

Need to get a bigger SD card first though.

40detectives

Neo Member
I started Strange Journey 1 week ago (about 7 h into the game) and I thinking on buy it as soon I'm home.
I should wait till first sale (if ever happens) but... FUCK, I'm weak.

Hedge

I'm strongly considering this game. I love turn-based RPG's, but the difficulty sort of makes me nervous, haha.
I'll probably cave in and buy it next week, though.

daydream

Banned
And there it is! Thanks for the OT, Samurai.

So, would people agree that this is a good introduction to the mainline SMT games?

Eolz

Glad the title was kept :p
Buying it later today. Not happy that I waoted this long, but still prefer that than importing. I prefer to show this region also wanted this game.

flohen95

I won't be able to get the game today as I'm still unsure wether I should just import or not. I hate buying digital copies, especially of games I care about.

Oh, and what's the OT title in reference to? Or is there no reference and I just don't get it?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm strongly considering this game. I love turn-based RPG's, but the difficulty sort of makes me nervous, haha.
I'll probably cave in and buy it next week, though.
it really isn't that hard. definitely more forgiving than Nocturne. there are some tight spots earlier on, but it's mostly smooth sailing through the entire game with a few spikes toward the finale.

have fun, eugaf.
Burroughs~

R.I.P

Feels almost surreal that it's finally releasing today after waiting for so long. The delays really diminished my interest in the game, but now that I'll be able to play it in just a couple of hours I'm actually pretty excited about it again.

Looking forward to region-exclusive bugs.

lol this is what I'm fearing, I'll be so pissed if there are game breaking bugs like in Overclocked.

Mr YuYu

Really want to try this game but i'll wait untill a pricedrop. Too many games to play and not enough time :-/ fuck growing up and having responsabilities ;-)

Zareka

Well, Freedom Wars just arrived but I have to wait till tomorrow to play it anyway, and this has gotten me in the mood to play some SMT IV. Guess I'll be joining you guys!
I have no idea what I was doing last time I played.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Has anyone managed to actually download the game yet or do we have to wait until 14:00 GMT?

I checked at 8am this morning (very excited for this game) and it wasn't available :(

Top Bottom