• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

danthefan

Could anyone tell me how far along I am in the story please?

I just
finished the underground lab where they harvest brains for red pills.

Also, this is probably a stupid question to be asking this far in, but sometimes I don't fuse demons because I don't want to lose either/both of the demons needed for the fusion... but I can just buy them straight back right?

Shiina

Could anyone tell me how far along I am in the story please?

I just
finished the underground lab where they harvest brains for red pills.

Also, this is probably a stupid question to be asking this far in, but sometimes I don't fuse demons because I don't want to lose either/both of the demons needed for the fusion... but I can just buy them straight back right?

It depends on your route. For L/C I'd say you're about 60-65% done, for N about 45-50% maybe.
You can buy your demons back any time you want, yes, but make sure to register them before you fuse them away if you want to keep their current skill set/stats/levels. Keep it mind that this usually makes them more expensive to buy back because they will have increased stats, levels and better skills than from the point you fused them.

danthefan

It depends on your route. For L/C I'd say you're about 60-65% done, for N about 45-50% maybe.
You can buy your demons back any time you want, yes, but make sure to register them before you fuse them away if you want to keep their current skill set/stats/levels. Keep it mind that this usually makes them more expensive to buy back because they will have increased stats, levels and better skills than from the point you fused them.

Thanks. Also I didn't realise there was a lot of missable content, crap. I think I've been trying to go lawful but sometimes it's not clear what choices do what.

Soulhouf

Ok.

May I ask what is the other 1/4?

At some point, probably not before the very last part of the game or 2nd walkthrough, you'll have all the skills you wanted. When you reach that point, fusing demons won't be as important and you'll be fusing them only to get new ones you didn't have before or to improve their skillset.
You can register the current state of any demon any time before fusing it and summon it again through the Cathedral of Shadows. The only barrier is the cost but it will become less of a problem once you purchase the app that reduces the summoning costs by 50%.

Doczu

Ok, thanks to the sale i finally bought it. I love it so far, but curious me went into the dlc ahop and now i'm a bit confused. Standard cosmetics as fetch quests? Ok. Some experience stuff? And some missions with big red words meaning they're for the main game. Do they activate automatically at the right time, or clan you do them when you want?

RiggyRob

Just picked this up thanks to the 50% off sale, beaten Orthus and
killed Issachar myself. It wasn't entirely clear that choosing to kill him was a Chaos choice, he was going to die anyway, so you were giving him mercy in finishing him off. Either way, I prefer Walter to Johnathan, so I'm sticking to Chaos on my first time through.

As a newcomer to SMT, it's got some interesting concepts and some weird ones too. Negotiating with demons to recruit them is fun when it works, frustrating when it doesn't. The trick that's been mentioned of comply once, refuse or cheat the rest and end talks when it appears seems to work well.

The save anywhere function is a godsend, especially in Naraku where I got destroyed at least five times - if there wasn't the revive or save anywhere function I'd be extremely disappointed, it just isn't fun to die so many times and feel like there's nothing you can do.

The designs of the demons look pretty inconsistent in that they have different art styles, I think they should've stuck to one consistent style. I haven't been paying much attention to the 'proper' way to fuse demons, I've pretty much been doing it to fill up the Pokedex, but I get the idea that you should have some good skills to whisper to the MC and a range of elemental magic skills to hit enemy weaknesses.

What are the best apps to spend app points on, and what are the best skills for a gun/physical build (I've been putting 3 Dex/1 Agi/1 Luck every level up)?

In hindsight, I gotta say I was pretty disappointed with the game. I'm a huge SMT fan and I felt SMT IV was lacking in content and primarily in the quality of its dungeons. They were simple and they sucked and the game got progressively easier. Just not a memorable experience. I enjoyed Devil Survivor, Strange Journey and Persona Q (all of which I played through in 2014) a lot more. Particularly Strange Journey would've been a signficantly better SMT IV than the actual game.

I like the fact that there were so many demons to summon though. Hope they keep the number steady for coming SMT games. Still love Atlus and virtually all their games but SMT IV is frankly not a worthy Nocturne successor.

Kyonashi

So I'm 24 hours deep and just found out that a pure STR build isn't good in this game. -_- How fucked am I with the below?

STR 113
DX 9
MA 10
AG 62
LU 52

Also how far through am I if I just beat
Koga Saburo
in
Roppongi
? And is there any way to check your alignment? I have no idea how close I am to Neutral.

So I'm 24 hours deep and just found out that a pure STR build isn't good in this game. -_- How fucked am I with the below?

Also how far through am I if I just beat
Koga Saburo
in
Roppongi
? And is there any way to check your alignment? I have no idea how close I am to Neutral.

Maybe post in the SMT community thread since it's more active.
Strenght will still get you through the game, at this point I'm not sure if going for magic is worth it, how much game you have left depends on the route since neutral is significantly longer but you still have a long way to go.
Talk to the guy in the bar to check your alignment.

Top Bottom