• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

repeater

Is antoniobanderas.gif a bannable offense on GAF? I feel like the OP deserves that gif for the brilliant thread name.. :D

Do we know if this price is permanent, or if there's any risk of it being raised later on (due to it being some kind of launch promotion or whatever)? I will certainly want to play this down the line but right now and with my current backlog I don't really have the time for a meaty, difficult RPG..

Sadist

Btw, playing games for the next few months will be difficult. I'm knee deep in Bayo 2, want to replay some more of Bayo, haven't played nearly enough Smash 3DS, still need to pick up a few extra weapons in Hyrule Warriors and with this today and Smash Wii U... welp

Khrno

Can't wait to get home tonight to buy it and playsome 4 or 5 hours. Next monday I'm off work, so I'll have 3 days to play it.

ramyeon

So how are you guys gonna allocate stats to your protag?

A lot of magic with a bit of agility? Lots of dex with a bit of luck and agility?

Zornica

Banned
my 20€ are ready*

*since last year. srsly, atlus should thank me for waiting this long, could've bought it way cheaper from japan more than a year ago.

edit: when is the eshop going to update?
can't remember...

aravuus

Come on, update already. I've had a shit day so far, maybe SMT IV will lighten it up a bit.

There was a way to buy prepaid eShop cards online for Europeans (Finnish), right? Cause I only have a Visa Electron which doesn't seem to work on eShop and if I can't get the game cause I don't have a proper Visa, I'm gonna break something tbh

Joqu

So what's the DLC like, any recommended ones? Are they dumping it all at once or are they gonna spread it? Surprised there's nothing in the OP on that :p

I won't be able to get the game today as I'm still unsure wether I should just import or not. I hate buying digital copies, especially of games I care about.

Oh, and what's the OT title in reference to? Or is there no reference and I just don't get it?

The smirk system in SMT IV and how Atlus gives no shits about EU

mikeybass

Neo Member

dani_dc

So excited
since several years ago.

My only regret is that I don't think I'll be able to finish Bayonetta 2 before this is out, and that I'll have to spend most of tomorrow out of the house, so I can't really play the game much (if at all) until the weekend.

It is happening my Euro 3DS brothers!

myco666

Come on, update already. I've had a shit day so far, maybe SMT IV will lighten it up a bit.

There was a way to buy prepaid eShop cards online for Europeans (Finnish), right? Cause I only have a Visa Electron which doesn't seem to work on eShop and if I can't get the game cause I don't have a proper Visa, I'm gonna break something tbh

Electron doesn't work? Shit. Well atleast there is this site. However I have never used that personally. Also Gamestops should have prepaid cards for eShop.

aravuus

Electron doesn't work? Shit. Well atleast there is this site. However I have never used that personally. Also Gamestops should have prepaid cards for eShop.

Well, most banks' electrons don't work. There are some that randomly work for absolutely no reason.

e: took a small leap of faith and bought a 25e card from eshopkortti.com and just got it so that site's alright.

Jisgsaw

Great, thanks! Got my eShop credit ready. Hope I can get around to Nocturne sometime.

Both games are great, but I'd maybe advise to rather start with Lucifer's Call, if you plan to play both.
Like for Persona 3/4, it's maybe a bit hard to go back to the previous "version" of gameplay (AI control vs Full party controll for P3/4, restrictive fusions vs completely free fusion for SMT3/4).

So what's the DLC like, any recommended ones? Are they dumping it all at once or are they gonna spread it? Surprised there's nothing in the OP on that :p

I think they're spread...?
The grinding DLCs are helpfull if you get stuck past midgme (if that's possible).
The story DLC bring some interesting boss battles, and unlocks the fusionof said bosses wen beaten.

So I'd say to take only the story DLCs if you like the game.

Joqu

I think they're spread...?
The grinding DLCs are helpfull if you get stuck past midgme (if that's possible).
The story DLC bring some interesting boss battles, and unlocks the fusionof said bosses wen beaten.

So I'd say to take only the story DLCs if you like the game.

Thanks! Out of the story DLCs was there a specific one you enjoyed the most? Are they supposed to be done at the endgame or are they easier than that? I just want to know what I should pick up first, I'm planning to get them all over time anyway

Oh, and what's the OT title in reference to? Or is there no reference and I just don't get it?

A play on the novel and film(s) "Atlas Shrugged" as it insinuates that, well, we all know by now, how Atlus doesn't give a shit about landmasses other than Japan and North America.

Jisgsaw

Thanks! Out of the story DLCs was there a specific one you enjoyed the most? Are they supposed to be done at the endgame or are they easier than that? I just want to know what I should pick up first, I'm planning to get them all over time anyway

I didn't finish all of them, just the archangel ones (I got detroyed by Masakados). I found them nice, you got a bit of backstory, and the possibility to fuse the Archangels (my favorite demons) afterwards. I was juste very disappointed by the new design of said demons.
Be warned though: they are quite short. The main point is to have a boss battle, and a new demon to fuse. You should wait to finish the game to decide if you want to prolonge it a bit for a few €€.

I hate Nintendo's digital game policy...but my hand is forced here.
You win this round, this will be my 1st Nintendo digital purchase since the Wii launch week.

Chaos17

Question - Does the game have dual audio?
Answer - No. Only an English dub is available.

209_s.jpg

Joqu

I didn't finish all of them, just the archangel ones (I got detroyed by Masakados). I found them nice, you got a bit of backstory, and the possibility to fuse the Archangels (my favorite demons) afterwards. I was juste very disappointed by the new design of said demons.
Be warned though: they are quite short. The main point is to have a boss battle, and a new demon to fuse. You should wait to finish the game to decide if you want to prolonge it a bit for a few €€.

Thanks again. Sounds like stuff I should leave for after my first playthrough. I tend to go through the multiple routes so plenty of time for me to decide~

Yeahh I've seen some of the new designs. The characters look pretty good but those demons... #freekaneko

jgminto

I can't believe the wait is finally over. Though I will have to wait a few more days to get it myself. I'm super excited to have a reason to turn on my 3DS again.

Griss

The best OT title I can ever remember seeing, tbh.

I really want to get this, but no dual audio has me worried. I have no tolerance for bad dubbing. I would have quit P4G due to Chie if the Japanese hadn't been in there too. I guess I'll go watch some vids and if the voices are good I'm in. I did enjoy Strange Journey, though I never managed to beat it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finally!!

Well, now you have to wait until I've finished Bayonetta 2 and 1. Bad Atlus.

ramyeon

The best OT title I can ever remember seeing, tbh.

I really want to get this, but no dual audio has me worried. I have no tolerance for bad dubbing. I would have quit P4G due to Chie if the Japanese hadn't been in there too. I guess I'll go watch some vids and if the voices are good I'm in. I did enjoy Strange Journey, though I never managed to beat it.
P4G didn't have dual audio either though. Atlus localisations generally don't. I think they have some of the more tolerable dubs though personally.

omlet

So how are you guys gonna allocate stats to your protag?

A lot of magic with a bit of agility? Lots of dex with a bit of luck and agility?

I'm 20 hours into the game (NA copy), at 75MAG and 41AGI, ignoring other stats mostly.

My MC kills many enemy groups in one spell, even without hitting weakness. Anything that isn't dead in one hit is still dead in one turn with rest of party finishing things off. Honestly I can't tell the AGI is doing me much good, even with my AGI being 10+ more than most enemies I hardly ever dodge. Probably would have been better off going full MAG, but I'm not sure. Maybe something to try if I replay the game.

Of course there are still some enemies/bosses that you'll have a harder time against relying on magic (I'm expecting lategame to have a lot more enemies that can nullify/reflect any elemental attacks, like in Devil Survivor, for example), but so far it's working well, and you can adjust the demons in your party to help make up the difference.

Lunar15

I'm not european, but I just wanted to drop by to compliment the OP on this amazing title.

Also, SMTIV is great, y'all gonna enjoy it.

ramyeon

I'm 20 hours into the game (NA copy), at 75MAG and 41AGI, ignoring other stats mostly.

My MC kills many enemy groups in one spell, even without hitting weakness. Anything that isn't dead in one hit is still dead in one turn with rest of party finishing things off. Honestly I can't tell the AGI is doing me much good, even with my AGI being 10+ more than most enemies I hardly ever dodge. Probably would have been better off going full MAG, but I'm not sure. Maybe something to try if I replay the game.

Of course there are still some enemies/bosses that you'll have a harder time against relying on magic (I'm expecting lategame to have a lot more enemies that can nullify/reflect any elemental attacks, like in Devil Survivor, for example), but so far it's working well, and you can adjust the demons in your party to help make up the difference.
Yeah I heard that going for a Dex based protag for gun skills makes the latter half of the game a lot easier but I'm leaning towards Magic as well.

omlet

Yeah I heard that going for a Dex based protag for gun skills makes the latter half of the game a lot easier but I'm leaning towards Magic as well.

I saw DEX boosts gun damage but you don't start the game with a gun, so I didn't know what the point was (went into the game without reading up on it in advance). It's like more than 10 hours into the game before you get a gun. By then I was already going almost full MAG. Too late to change now!

Volcynika

Have you tried reading the OP? ;-)

Game size: 14,337 blocks (apprx. 1.79 GB

May not be true but should be close. If OP took my thread verbatim, that would be for the NA version I think. Not sure how much data was added/removed for the EU release. If someone can check it when it is released to verify the size, (or OP already found out somehow else) then OP can be updated.

omlet

pure magic, nothing else, big damage, more MP, demons take care of physical

Except you don't get more MP :( Your MP only goes up like 3 points each level no matter what stats you boost. HP goes up like 7 points per level. Edit: It's not like Devil Survivor, for example. In addition, physical skills consume MP rather than HP in this game.

Congrats EU players! I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I did. I believe I ended up putting about 200 hrs into it. Also I must say what an absolutely phenomenal OT subtitle, probably one of the best I've seen in quite some time.

matmanx1

An easy contender for best OT subtitle of all time.

This. I literally laughed out loud when I read it this morning and then had to explain to my co-worker across the office what was going on. Being a gamer and a generally smart guy he immediately picked up on the reference.

I'm glad our EU brethren are finally getting a change to play SMT IV. It was my personal pick for GOTY last year here in the USA.

Top Bottom