• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

Finally managed to beat it yesterday

GOTY material for sure

just one question about the story:

who exactly are the angels? just lawful demons?

Finally managed to beat it yesterday

GOTY material for sure

just one question about the story:

who exactly are the angels? just lawful demons?

Pretty much.
Devil Survivor actually deliberately points out that angels and demons are essentially the same in SMT--they're both supernatural entities from different planes of existence that try to invade Earth to use humans for their own ends. (In SMT in general, they're also both thought-forms that were ultimately birthed from the same place--humans).

So after a forced hiatus I'm about to resume my neutral playthrough. I stopped right after making sure I was locked to neutral. Fortunately I made a separate save just before the first fork so I saved 30+ hours. It was heavily inclined to law but going with chaos on every choice pushed it to neutral. I was worried though because of the following: if the last choice gives either +10 or -10 doesn't that mean that if you're perfectly neutral at that point (between +1 and -1) you're screwed?
Also, I've read that after getting locked to neutral I need to do certain sidequests to proceed? Is that true?
Anyway, I really love the game and I feel that experiencing the neutral story will make me like it even more since I wasn't satisfied with how things turned out on law.

Xenoflare

So after a forced hiatus I'm about to resume my neutral playthrough. I stopped right after making sure I was locked to neutral. Fortunately I made a separate save just before the first fork so I saved 30+ hours. It was heavily inclined to law but going with chaos on every choice pushed it to neutral. I was worried though because of the following: if the last choice gives either +10 or -10 doesn't that mean that if you're perfectly neutral at that point (between +1 and -1) you're screwed?
Also, I've read that after getting locked to neutral I need to do certain sidequests to proceed? Is that true?
Anyway, I really love the game and I feel that experiencing the neutral story will make me like it even more since I wasn't satisfied with how things turned out on law.

Yes, on neutral there are a lot of sidequests that you must do, if you are on top of the sidequest throughout the game you should be okay, but if not then you are going to have some catching up to do. When I played it there was no guide and it was on halt for a long time.

The alignment is indeed tricky, what I did eons back was to be inclined to law and do a face-heel turn when confronting you-know-who, and go still a bit law-ish until the very last choice, and yes. If you are trying to make your self perfectly neutral you are going to have a hard time, since the game rarely gives true neutral choices and the bigger ones are always one way or another. There is a guide on Gamefaq that is for the most part spoiler free, and it does it differently than I did.

For reference, neutral requires you to be +8/-8, the final decision is +10/-10.

DrWong

The Hunter guy reporting about your reputation is telling me, since the start, people consider me ¨polite¨. What alignment is it?

I'm at 115 hours of playtime and just finished the
Black Samurai/Ring of Gaea/Lilith
part. I´m taking all the sidequests I can.

Xenoflare

The Hunter guy reporting about your reputation is telling me, since the start, people consider me ¨polite¨. What alignment is it?

I'm at 115 hours of playtime and just finished the
Black Samurai/Ring of Gaea/Lilith
part. I´m taking all the sidequests I can.

Law.

Polite is law, hot blooded is chaos, and hard to tell is neutral.

A lot of the optional sidequests contain alignment choices that could impose a problem later on when you are doing a neutral play through, I really suggest using the two save slots wisely.

Just create another save when the game obviously tells you that a big decision is coming up. Unless you are choosing one side throughout the entire game a neutral game is possible when you create a save before that decision.

Xenoflare

Thanks Xenoflare :D

NP :)

I loved this game when it first came out in NA. I played non stop for almost 8 hours after getting it, so much time was spent on dying in the first dungeon.

I got myself locked to law the first time trying a neutral wallthrough but managed to avert that since I had another save.

Yes, on neutral there are a lot of sidequests that you must do, if you are on top of the sidequest throughout the game you should be okay, but if not then you are going to have some catching up to do. When I played it there was no guide and it was on halt for a long time.

The alignment is indeed tricky, what I did eons back was to be inclined to law and do a face-heel turn when confronting you-know-who, and go still a bit law-ish until the very last choice, and yes. If you are trying to make your self perfectly neutral you are going to have a hard time, since the game rarely gives true neutral choices and the bigger ones are always one way or another. There is a guide on Gamefaq that is for the most part spoiler free, and it does it differently than I did.

For reference, neutral requires you to be +8/-8, the final decision is +10/-10.

What surprises me is that even after getting the alignment there's still a requirement to do certain sidequests. Since the alignment is already locked I'm assuming they unlock something required for the main story.

Reminds that I need to complete my neutral playthrough.

PersonaQ getting in the way...

They ended up releasing too close to each other in Europe.

bobohoro

Reminds that I need to complete my neutral playthrough.

PersonaQ getting in the way...

I'm on chaos, 2 dungeons away from the end and don't really feel like continuing right now. My quick glance at the intro of Persona Q ended in a full playthrough.

krossj

Was trying for a neutral path and seems like I have lucked onto it in some respects.
Finished the Monochrome forest and have met up with Isabeau. Got back to the tower but a barrier is in the way? is this the point where I have to return and do a bunch of side quests? Is it all of them or just a select few?

After the 15 hour mark things build really nicely on top of one another as the divisions start to show. It has been easy throughout excluding
Kenji and that Ancient curse
which I had a difficult time with but i've still enjoyed it immensely.

Soulhouf

Was trying for a neutral path and seems like I have lucked onto it in some respects.
Finished the Monochrome forest and have met up with Isabeau. Got back to the tower but a barrier is in the way? is this the point where I have to return and do a bunch of side quests? Is it all of them or just a select few?

After the 15 hour mark things build really nicely on top of one another as the divisions start to show. It has been easy throughout excluding
Kenji and that Ancient curse
which I had a difficult time with but i've still enjoyed it immensely.

Go to the bar Florida in Kabukicho (Isabeau alludes to it when you encounter her).
You'll know what you need to do from there.

krossj

Go to the bar Florida in Kabukicho (Isabeau alludes to it when you encounter her).
You'll know what you need to do from there.

Thank you. Done this and started the required quests.

I thought the 4 Deva quest was interesting but in general a lot of these seem pointless at this point in the game..

I like how a lot of sidequests have their own little stories and sometimes the story arc of quest develops along several others that are unlocked as you progressed.

For example (late game sidequest spoiler), who would've thought that
Nozomi would end up a demi-goddess?

Bought the game yesterday and tried it today. It is indeed brutal at the beginning, I keep dying on the second quest, the recruit 3 demons one xD
I don't know if it's the 3ds XL, but the 3d graphics look bad, for example compared to animal crossing

also

Banned
This might sound weird but I think the game has too many demons. Getting bombarded with new monsters left and right makes it really hard to develop a more personal relationship and care about your team members. It makes me think of them as nothing more than fusion fodder that is meant to be discarded as soon as they whisper their skills to you. This is coming from a SMT newbie so the series' veterans probably feel differently.
Makes me wonder if this is the reason the Pokemon games severely company limit the number of Pokemon you can encounter before you finish the league; they don't want to overwhelm new players.

Bought the game yesterday and tried it today. It is indeed brutal at the beginning, I keep dying on the second quest, the recruit 3 demons one xD
I don't know if it's the 3ds XL, but the 3d graphics look bad, for example compared to animal crossing

Yeah, the game is not a looker. I'm especially disappointed about the battle sprites. It's like they drew this nice looking, high res portraits to future proof themselves and then just scaled them down for 3DS' low res screen and animated them a bit. Badly.
On a more positive note, there's a very nice looking dungeon very late in the game, a bit before you lock yourself into one of the 3 endings. I'm talking about
Pluto's castle

This might sound weird but I think the game has too many demons. Getting bombarded with new monsters left and right makes it really hard to develop a more personal relationship and care about your team members. It makes me think of them as nothing more than fusion fodder that is meant to be discarded as soon as they whisper their skills to you. This is coming from a SMT newbie so the series' veterans probably feel differently.

You are supposed to view the demons as disposable. They're designed that way in that they don't keep up their utility much past learning all their skills.

From a storyline standpoint, characters that get all close and personal with the demons usually end up in one of the extremist camps.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I just got this. Beating the Minotaur was bliss, but then everything felt a bit too easy and then you get to the next area and your ass is repeatedly kicked again.

It's soooo good. Graphics are kind of fucked up though, like some areas the gamma levels look kind of crazy near the edges of the screen, 3D is trash too, I mean you get ghosting in brightly lit areas :lol. But it's still a fantastic game.

I also think my experience with SMT3 helped me quite a bit as I didn't find the game all that hard until the Minotaur, I even did that dragon sidequest despite the game telling me I wasn't at a high enough level, he went down like a chump.

vocab

Makes me wonder if this is the reason the Pokemon games severely company limit the number of Pokemon you can encounter before you finish the league; they don't want to overwhelm new players.

Yeah, the game is not a looker. I'm especially disappointed about the battle sprites. It's like they drew this nice looking, high res portraits to future proof themselves and then just scaled them down for 3DS' low res screen and animated them a bit. Badly.
On a more positive note, there's a very nice looking dungeon very late in the game, a bit before you lock yourself into one of the 3 endings. I'm talking about
Pluto's castle

I think SMT3 does a better job of doing that, to keep your party members around. They are animated and have voices. they are just cool demons to have around. You could keep whatever you want though if you reverse fuse for the skills you want.

There is no doubt joke demons that are meant for fusion fodder.

Soulhouf

It makes me think of them as nothing more than fusion fodder that is meant to be discarded as soon as they whisper their skills to you.

Yep, that's what they are!

Though in the modern megaten (especially in IV) you can make any demon viable. Once you unlock the best skills in the game, you'll have a better idea what you want to build and make your favorite demons powerful enough to not have to discard them anymore.
IV is very permissive in that regard. In older megaten (especially the pre PS2 era) there was a clear hierarchy in the demonology part which makes most of the demons useless compared to others.
Here you can make even Slime an OP demon if you want thanks to the simplicity of the fusion system and skill inheritance.

Finally got around to playing and I'm about 8 hours in. How long is the game? I'm loving it so far. To the point it may hit my GOTY list before long :D

Pluto's castle

You're not supposed to get attached. Every demon is just a stepping stone towards a more powerful demon.

also

Banned
Alright, alright I got it. I just have to be a heartless slave driver. Still, I'll probably end up fusing some of the nicer looking but lower level demons and giving them good skills in preparation for NG+. The stat Enhancer apps should eventually make them even better than the high level demons, no?

I think SMT3 does a better job of doing that, to keep your party members around. They are animated and have voices. they are just cool demons to have around. You could keep whatever you want though if you reverse fuse for the skills you want.

There is no doubt joke demons that are meant for fusion fodder.

Speaking of older SMT games (spin offs included), how different are they in terms of story and setting? I heard a lot of them take place in Tokyo which could get a bit tiresome. And even though the only other SMT game I played is Devil Survivor Overclocked (Persona 1 doesn't really count, does it?), it seems like the Law side is depicted quite similarly. Law:
Screw everyone that does not conform to God's views
. I'm hoping there's a bit more variation.
Please no detailed and spoiler filled answers.

Also the game seems to spoil one of the endings of, my guess is,
Strange Journey
, so i wish I had played that before :/

Alright, alright I got it. I just have to be a heartless slave driver. Still, I'll probably end up fusing some of the nicer looking but lower level demons and giving them good skills in preparation for NG+. The stat Enhancer apps should eventually make them even better than the high level demons, no?

Speaking of older SMT games (spin offs included), how different are they in terms of story and setting? I heard a lot of them take place in Tokyo which could get a bit tiresome. And even though the only other SMT game I played is Devil Survivor Overclocked (Persona 1 doesn't really count, does it?), it seems like the Law side is depicted quite similarly. Law:

Strange Journey

Well, Tokyo is a recurring setting but they are very different takes on it. It's not in every game either.

walnuts

I'm playing it for the second time. I finished first in Chaos mode, probably my GOTY, I really enjoyed it, it was worth the wait. Which should I choose know? Law or Neutral? I was considering Law, and Neutral for the third time.

BTW: What the hell are "Cycles"? I decided to replay it keeping all the stuff I had when I finished it, and there's a panel saying "Cycle 2" at the place where I can choose which game to load. Is it related with the number of times you completed the game? Or the number of alignments you have done?

There are like 4 different gems there too, one is red, others are grey. If the red gem represents Chaos (the one I completed), one should be for Law, another for Neutral, but what about the fourth?
Does it activate when you choose to create a new universe when you meet the white, after activating the Tayama Reactor after visiting Infernal Tokyo?

Strange Journey

Every core SMT with a number in the title takes place in Tokyo, but even that can vary a bit. Examples:

SMT2: Tokyo in the year 208X
Nocturne: The "Vortex World," a.k.a. Tokyo destroyed and rolled into a Dyson sphere

Settings from outside the core series:

Devil Survivor 1 and 2: Tokyo
Strange Journey: Antarctica
+ surreal fictional locations
Digital Devil Saga 1: A surreal fictional world
Digital Devil Saga 2:
Alternate universe Earth
Raidou 1 and 2: 1920s Japan
Persona 3 and 4: Fictional Japanese cities
Soul Hackers: A fictional Japanese city

Law is portrayed similarly because that's just how Law is. There is some variation in how Law and Chaos are portrayed in each game for those who like dissecting nuance, but they're typically in the same ballpark. And then Nocturne went and did something quite different and had an alignment system not based on Law and Chaos.

Where did SMTIV spoil a Strange Journey ending? I don't remember that.

I'm playing it for the second time. I finished first in Chaos mode, probably my GOTY, I really enjoyed it, it was worth the wait. Which should I choose know? Law or Neutral? I was considering Law, and Neutral for the third time.

BTW: What the hell are "Cycles"? I decided to replay it keeping all the stuff I had when I finished it, and there's a panel saying "Cycle 2" at the place where I can choose which game to load. Is it related with the number of times you completed the game? Or the number of alignments you have done?

There are like 4 different gems there too, one is red, others are grey. If the red gem represents Chaos (the one I completed), one should be for Law, another for Neutral, but what about the fourth?
Does it activate when you choose to create a new universe when you meet the white, after activating the Tayama Reactor after visiting Infernal Tokyo?

Cycles are playthroughs. "Cycle 2" is your second playthrough on the same save data. In other words, your first NG+.

The "gems" on the save slot represent the endings you've completed. There are
four, the three traditional alignments plus a "bad" ending. The bad ending is obtained when you
destroy the universe on the request of the White.

danthefan

I'm in Tokyo now and I'm still finding that ambushing the enemy/being ambushed by the enemy can be the difference between taking zero damage and a wipe. And this is in random battles. It keeps things interesting, but man.

kd-z

I must admit, I feel like I'm hitting a wall with my head with this game.

I started playing it when it appeared on the e-Shop, but stopped soon after reaching the 1st observation platform because I didn't really have the time. I picked it up again and started over on my way home for Christmas. I breezed up to the point I reached previously and now am stuck on Medusa.

I guess I just don't understand the combat system. The only thing I can do is figure out an enemy's weekness and hit them with all I got, hoping they don't kill my main character or any of my stronger demons. There's really no time for buffing and doing other smart things like healing because she usually kills someone every time she gets her turn.

It feels completely luck based.

I dunno, maybe I have to level up a bit, fuse some demons. Right now my MC deals 180-300 damage to her every time he casts Zan, but my two demons with the spell only do 80, which is definitely not enough.

It's frustrating because I'm really rather fascinated by the world and story but feel like the game and I are speaking two different languages :<

also

Banned
Thanks Dragon1893 and Inquisitive_Ghost, makes me look forward to playing the rest of the series even more. Nocturne in particular sounds and, judging by the protagonist, looks really interesting.
Where did SMTIV spoil a Strange Journey ending? I don't remember that.
I haven't finished IV yet or played SJ, so I was speculating that this game was a continuation of SJ because of the suit from SJ's cover, but maybe that's just a recurring design in the series. I thought that SJ's protagonist
fused with Masakado to become the ceiling that protected Tokyo from God's wrath
and then there's also
the cocoon with the children and Kiyoharu (spelling?) whose design seems a bit too elaborate to have such a minor role
. I though these were plot points and characters from other SMT games. Please don't tell me if I'm right or wrong.

I'm in Tokyo now and I'm still finding that ambushing the enemy/being ambushed by the enemy can be the difference between taking zero damage and a wipe. And this is in random battles. It keeps things interesting, but man.
Get used to that because it doesn't get any better for a looong time. The battle system is way too focused on striking first. If you or one of your demons have a weakness to the enemies' attack you're almost guaranteed to die from an ambush or a reinforcement that strikes first or if they consecutively use Blight. Man, this game just loves killing you :/
This game desperately needs a ''hold down the START button for 3 seconds to automatically save the game.''

Tizoc

I started playing it when it appeared on the e-Shop, but stopped soon after reaching the 1st observation platform because I didn't really have the time. I picked it up again and started over on my way home for Christmas. I breezed up to the point I reached previously and now am stuck on Medusa.

I guess I just don't understand the combat system. The only thing I can do is figure out an enemy's weekness and hit them with all I got, hoping they don't kill my main character or any of my stronger demons. There's really no time for buffing and doing other smart things like healing because she usually kills someone every time she gets her turn.

I dunno, maybe I have to level up a bit, fuse some demons. Right now my MC deals 180-300 damage to her every time he casts Zan, but my two demons with the spell only do 80, which is definitely not enough.

It's frustrating because I'm really rather fascinated by the world and story but feel like the game and I are speaking two different languages :<

Game's combat is all about Weaknesses and resistance.
Take Minotaur for example
He's weak to Ice, now let's say you have 2 demons who have ice abilities, when they cast their spell on Minotaur you get 2 extra turns.
Now Minotaur mainly uses Phys attacks. If you had a demon who repels/reflects Phys type attacks, Minotaur would lose a turn if not all remaining turns that he would have.

Just exploit enemy weaknesses and if you have a demon that can repel one of their attacks you can defeat them faster

also

Banned

You're right about exploiting the weakness but buffs and debuffs are important, especially when you face bosses that have no elemental weaknesses. If your demons are getting one shot then you should fuse stronger ones, preferably some with resistances to the boss' attacks.
For Medusa specifically, I think I used the skill Tarukaja Sukukaja which raises your evade and hit rate and hoped that she would miss and therefore lose her turns. IIRC she uses weaker, multi-hit moves so it's really common for her to miss. Took a few tries but she went down. Also make sure to give the right answers so that you get buffs/debuff her.

walnuts

Cycles are playthroughs. "Cycle 2" is your second playthrough on the same save data. In other words, your first NG+.

The "gems" on the save slot represent the endings you've completed. There are
four, the three traditional alignments plus a "bad" ending. The bad ending is obtained when you
destroy the universe on the request of the White.

Thanks. As I suspected, haha.

It's not a matter of buffs and debuffs (though those are also helpful of course), your main concern should be to see what the enemy uses and fuse demons that resist/null/drain/reflect those things. Also check your MC's equipment. This is general advice, not for Medusa in particular.

You're right about exploiting the weakness but buffs and debuffs are important, especially when you face bosses that have no elemental weaknesses. If your demons are getting one shot then you should fuse stronger ones, preferably some with resistances to the boss' attacks.
For Medusa specifically, I think I used the skill Tarukaja Sukukaja which raises your evade and hit rate and hoped that she would miss and therefore lose her turns. IIRC she uses weaker, multi-hit moves so it's really common for her to miss. Took a few tries but she went down. Also make sure to give the right answers so that you get buffs/debuff her.

I also did this, but he says he's getting killed too quickly so he should check his resistances.

kd-z

Game's combat is all about Weaknesses and resistance.
Take Minotaur for example
He's weak to Ice, now let's say you have 2 demons who have ice abilities, when they cast their spell on Minotaur you get 2 extra turns.
Now Minotaur mainly uses Phys attacks. If you had a demon who repels/reflects Phys type attacks, Minotaur would lose a turn if not all remaining turns that he would have.

Just exploit enemy weaknesses and if you have a demon that can repel one of their attacks you can defeat them faster

It's not a matter of buffs and debuffs (though those are also helpful of course), your main concern should be to see what the enemy uses and fuse demons that resist/null/drain/reflect those things. Also check your MC's equipment. This is general advice, not for Medusa in particular.

I also did this, but he says he's getting killed too quickly so he should check his resistances.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Your tips make an awful lot of sense and to be honest sound quite obvious, now that I think of it :D

So, my course of action should be:
- get stronger demons with more Magic so their Zan hits Medusa stronger
- get demons that are resistant to Electric and Gun damage, because that's what she hits me with
- check out the blacksmith to see if I can get some electricity/gun-resistant armor for my MC
- proceed to kick her ass!

I'll get started on this today and will report with results. Thanks! :D

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Your tips make an awful lot of sense and to be honest sound quite obvious, now that I think of it :D

So, my course of action should be:
- get stronger demons with more Magic so their Zan hits Medusa stronger
- get demons that are resistant to Electric and Gun damage, because that's what she hits me with
- check out the blacksmith to see if I can get some electricity/gun-resistant armor for my MC
- proceed to kick her ass!

I'll get started on this today and will report with results. Thanks! :D

You got it. Creating an ideal party for a tough boss is a big part of SMT's appeal. Fuse, fuse, fuse!
Report back when you beat her.

Soulhouf

Still, I'll probably end up fusing some of the nicer looking but lower level demons and giving them good skills in preparation for NG+. The stat Enhancer apps should eventually make them even better than the high level demons, no?

That's right!
Here are some examples of low level demons who became very powerful only by leveling up (without using incenses):

BhurlzGCIAAKUrO.jpg
BhurujKCQAAh_Z3.jpg
B2_VbNyCEAAQDKY.jpg

They are far from being perfect (especially the first 2) but it shows how powerful low level demons can become.

SMT2: Tokyo in the year 3000

208X

Can't wait to play this. Best Buy has this as a clearance item, and with the gamer club unlocked program it took 20% off so I got it shipped for just over $17 sealed.

Another one for the backlog. Still gotta finish Tales of Hearts R and DQ VI first.

danthefan

So yeah, I started out really enjoying this, then hit a patch that I wasn't enjoying it at all so I stopped playing for like a month, but I've picked it up again and realised just how good it is. Just beat Dragon Age so it's the only thing on my plate at the moment. About how many hours is a full playthrough?

also

Banned
This game can be quite dark at times; I just reached Tennozu and and after completing the quest realized that the people there
were part of a cult. As part of their rituals they sacrificed beef, except they didn't have beef so they used humans. And they ate the sacrifices.
Or how the Ashura-Kai were going to
turn
everyone from Ikebukuro
into seedbeds and how happy this made a woman in Shibuya because the reds were going to be cheaper. Ignorance is bliss.
That's right!
Here are some examples of low level demons who became very powerful only by leveling up (without using incenses):

They are far from being perfect (especially the first 2) but it shows how powerful low level demons can become.
I see you too are a member of the magic users master race :)
BTW, is Life Surge that useful? All 3 of your demons have it.

Soulhouf

I see you too are a member of the magic users master race :)
BTW, is Life Surge that useful? All 3 of your demons have it.
I'm actually more of a physical user. Those 3 happened to be magic demons by nature, that's all.
I have tons of physical demons I experimented as well and the result is far more satisfying.
Check this one in particular:

He has the most broken attack skill in the game (Desperate Hit) and the most powerful raw one outside DLC (Riot Gun) and both of them aren't magic based.
I did a lot of experimentation and l can tell you that there is no magic build that comes even close to the physical equivalent.

Magical demons tend to have a low HP and their only way to gain press turn is hitting weaknesses. The Hanuman you see gains a press turn everytime he attacks and it doesn't matter if the enemy is resistant to everything because Desperate Hit will do critical every time and goes through any resistance doing a lot of damage (the only exception is the final DLC boss).

The only magic build I'm satisfyed with is Anubis and he doesn't even come close to Hanuman's effectiveness:

My MC from my US game:

To answer your question, yes Life Surge is very important, especially for magic demons because of their very low HP.
It's actually mandatory if you want to challenge some of the powerful optional bosses (Beelzebub say hi!) let alone the Fiends.

krossj

Beelzebub
is destroying my party. Physical demons seem to be more effective but Flynn is gone on his first wave of attacks.

also

Banned
Got the Neutral ending and it was kind of underwhelming. I was expecting one more epic battle but the game just ended.

+Story; the game has some really high points
(Reverse Hills, Infernal Tokyo...)
and I like the game's use of religious themes. Talking to NPCs also reveals some interesting tidbits though it's a pain to go talk to them between each story event. The neutral ending wasn't that good but, there's still 2 more to go. Yes, I know there's another ending but it doesn't really count.
+Setting; the mystic script, relics and magic, the collision of two different civilizations....
+Demon negotiation; though its randomness can be frustrating it's still interesting to talk to demons.
+3rd person exploration; the movement just feels good. Striking and evading demons takes some getting used to but then it's great, including the up/down exploration mechanic, which seems silly at first. I also like how the game alerts when there's a hot spot in your vicinity..
+Quick start up; this might seem like a minor thing but it's great that you don't have to sit through a mountain of logos before getting to the tittle screen, especially since there's no soft reset.
+Music; I love the challenge quest &#945; track always gets me pumped up.

+/- Burroughs; I really like her voice, though listening to the same lines over and over again does get tiring. She can be quite funny but it makes me uncomfortable that she calls you master while being represented by, basically, a mouth and a pair of breasts. I wish Atlus went with ''user'' which would also make much more sense in the story context. I mean it's super weird that one moment she calls you master and the next one tells you that you're pathetic.
+/- Demon design; I liked the style from Devil Survivor overclocked more. Most of the new demons look weird but there's so many that it's still possible to find some good stuff.
+/-The game opens up and lets you wander on your own but the terrible overworld makes exploring much less enjoyable.
+/- Battle system; the game is all about exploiting weakness and resistances but it's not very balanced. Battles are either really easy or impossible, there's almost no inbetween.
+/-Graphics; most of the areas looks bad and the battle sprite are disappointing, but some of the later locations look good, even great, and the demon portraits are nicely drawn.

-The anime cutscenes; most of them are just stills with some camera panning and they look really compressed.
-Interface: I can't believe the Cathedral of Shadows wastes a whole screen for a stupid floating head that doesn't do anything. Can't manually fuse from your existing stock of demons. Status and skills are displayed on 2 separate screens. No soft reset. Select and Start aren't even used, even though they could be useful shortcuts for savings/status/skills/... Touching the screen should allow you to rearrange your party without having to first select ''Summon''...
-DLC: I don't care about the costumes but selling what is essentially cheat codes is really scummy. The story DLC also seem expensive; altogether it's 8,35€, while the game is 19,99€. Does it add anything meaningful to the story or is it just a few lines of dialogue and a battle?
-The overworld; it's a pain to navigate. The ability that gives you some additional mobility mobility is too little, too late.

I might seem really critical of the game but I still really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone looking for a 3rd person dungeon crawler (though the ''dungeons'' are short and straightforward) with a nice story and setting. Just be warned that the beginning is brutal and the overworld is hard to navigate.
I'm actually more of a physical user. Those 3 happened to be magic demons by nature, that's all.
I have tons of physical demons I experimented as well and the result is far more satisfying.
Check this one in particular:

He has the most broken attack skill in the game (Desperate Hit) and the most powerful raw one outside DLC (Riot Gun) and both of them aren't magic based.
I did a lot of experimentation and l can tell you that there is no magic build that comes even close to the physical equivalent.

Magical demons tend to have a low HP and their only way to gain press turn is hitting weaknesses. The Hanuman you see gains a press turn everytime he attacks and it doesn't matter if the enemy is resistant to everything because Desperate Hit will do critical every time and goes through any resistance doing a lot of damage (the only exception is the final DLC boss).

The only magic build I'm satisfyed with is Anubis and he doesn't even come close to Hanuman's effectiveness:

My MC from my US game:

To answer your question, yes Life Surge is very important, especially for magic demons because of their very low HP.
It's actually mandatory if you want to challenge some of the powerful optional bosses (Beelzebub say hi!) let alone the Fiends.
I see, look like I'll be switching to a physical build for NG+, just like in Devil Survivor.

Got the Neutral ending and it was kind of underwhelming. I was expecting one more epic battle but the game just ended.

Just finished it as well and I feel exactly the same. Basically neutral amounts to
doing both final dungeons instead of just one and a few sidequests being mandatory. Same final boss as on Law. I was expecting something beyond that.
I guess all the exaggerations about the neutral completion time made me expect that. In the end it only took me an additional 5 hours compared to Law, 55 hours total. I saw people claim that it could take up to 80 hours against around 50 on Law/Chaos, fucking ridiculous.
That being said, it's a beautiful ending and definitely intended to be the real conclusion and how the game should be experienced. Law/Chaos spoiler:
I really needed closure because killing Isabeau broke my heart, I really like her.
Despite some shortcomings that we already disscused I absolutely loved it. These games always excell at atmosphere and I really liked this particular take on
Tokyo
and Mikado was a nice change of pace when it comes to settings in the franchise.
For me SMT and it spin-offs are in a league of their own and IV continues to prove that to me. Right now I'm also playing Persona Q and Devil Survivor Overclocked tackling these 3 games has been pure bliss (I had already played vanilla DS though).
So yeah, overall still a 5 star effort for me.
BTW, it can't be said enough, the music is fantastic.

The story DLC also seem expensive; altogether it's 8,35&#8364;, while the game is 19,99&#8364;. Does it add anything meaningful to the story or is it just a few lines of dialogue and a battle?

I'd also like some impressions about this.

Top Bottom