• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

Finally got a decent challenge with
Kenji
He has some nasty attacks and even if you hit hard he doesn't go down in a couple of turns.
At first it seems like a matter of reflecting his physical and fire (actually one of his weaknesses) attacks but that attack that induces all status ailments on the entire party followed by 2 megidolas can be nasty stuff. Then there's Deceit Chain which can't be reflected and this some serious physical damage + bind.
I also made the mistake of picking up the remote lol, I kinda saw it coming but I had the fight under control so I decided to risk it, didn't turn out well.
Then on my next try he pulled 2 mamudoons, a skill I didn't know he had, killing my entire party.
After I beat him I decided to go with the option of destroying the world just to see how it played out. A drastic measure but not unreasonable considering the alternatives the game had just shown me. Might as well just pull the plug lol

So I ended up on Law. I feel that the game didn't give me a fair chance of going neutral and now that
I was forced to kill Isabeau
I really don't like where this is going.
I'll definitely play it again with a guide to get neutral but I really shouldn't need one, it should come naturally through my choices, not through an invisible system that randomly allocates points to alignments even through choices that seem to have no bearing on the overarching story.
I have a save file just before deciding
if I want to go with Jonathan or Walter, I should be able to go neutral if I start again from there after I'm done with this playthrough.

Shiina

So I ended up on Law. I feel that the game didn't give me a fair chance of going neutral and now that
I was forced to kill Isabeau
I really don't like where this is going.
I'll definitely play it again with a guide to get neutral but I really shouldn't need one, it should come naturally through my choices, not through an invisible system that randomly allocates points to alignments even through choices that seem to have no bearing on the overarching story.
I have a save file just before deciding
if I want to go with Jonathan or Walter, I should be able to go neutral if I start again from there after I'm done with this playthrough.

The stupid thing about IV's alignment system is that the gap between L/N/C is so narrow. One choice can put you from C to L and vice versa and being perfectly neutral can screw you over as well. What is also dumb is that there's a fairly long sequence between your last real opportunity to affect your alignment and the actual alignment lock so experimenting with decisions can be a drag.

Edit: you're right.

Jisgsaw

The stupid thing about IV's alignment system is that the gap between L/N/C is so narrow. One choice can put you from C to L and vice versa and being perfectly neutral can screw you over as well. What is also dumb is that there's a fairly long sequence between your last real opportunity to affect your alignment and the actual alignment lock so experimenting with decisions can be a drag.

The neutral alignment window is very small, but not that small.
There is no choice that gives/takes you more than 10 points, and the window for neutral (between chaos and law) is 19 points, so... Only really anoying things are the mandotary choices.

And for most of the choices, it is easy to see what is chaos and what is law.
Doesn't make neutral much more easier to get, but still.

The neutral alignment window is very small, but not that small.
There is no choice that gives/takes you more than 10 points, and the window for neutral (between chaos and law) is 19 points, so... Only really anoying things are the mandotary choices.

And for most of the choices, it is easy to see what is chaos and what is law.
Doesn't make neutral much more easier to get, but still.

Yeah, but you have no idea how much each choice pushes you into either direction. For example,
killing (or showing mercy) to every single opponent in the tournament still doesn't give you as many points as that random woman in Ikebukuro that asks you if you're a demon or a human. That's one of the only 3 points in the game where you can get 10 points.

Anyway, I got the Law ending and though I haven't seen the others yet it's probably the one I relate to the least.
It's funny though because I actually had a tendency to side with Walter (even went with him to the Yamato Reactor) but making the "good guy" choices throughout the game pushed me into law. But I guess I can appreciate the fact that despite our best intentions things don't always turn out like we want.
And that last scene with Isabeau, which I assume also happens on chaos, is really motivating me to go for the neutral ending, it really made an impression on me.

Going back to my save before the first fork to try getting the neutral ending now.

jgminto

Yeah, but you have no idea how much each choice pushes you into either direction. For example,
killing (or showing mercy) to every single opponent in the tournament still doesn't give you as many points as that random woman in Ikebukuro that asks you if you're a demon or a human. That's one of the only 3 points in the game where you can get 10 points.

Well,
you're basically deciding her fate with that one question, it makes sense that it would have heavy consequences.

Jisgsaw

Yeah that's why I explicitly said "for most choices", I was thinking of that one ;-)

And yeah, I'm still missing Chaos Ending, but the Law route was awfull...

Soulhouf

Anyway, I got the Law ending and though I haven't seen the others yet it's probably the one I relate to the least.
It's funny though because I actually had a tendency to side with Walter (even went with him to the Yamato Reactor) but making the "good guy" choices throughout the game pushed me into law. But I guess I can appreciate the fact that despite our best intentions things don't always turn out like we want.
And that last scene with Isabeau, which I assume also happens on chaos, is really motivating me to go for the neutral ending, it really made an impression on me.

Going back to my save before the first fork to try getting the neutral ending now.

I think the law route was the most successful of the 3, in the sense of the most memorable.
Outside the goofy part where the 4 archangels and Jonathan fuse together which was completely stupid, this route has at least 2 very memorable events.
Killing Isabeau is probably the strongest part of the entire game. It was so painful and I'm glad Atlus didn't make any compromise in that regard.
The ending where you get martyred is also fantastic and goes so well with that path you chose.

It's the most awful route but that's what makes it so great IMO.

walnuts

Finished the game for the first time with Chaos. Now it's Law turn, using reincarnation play, from easy to normal difficulty.

Get fundraise and sell all of your consumables.

It was actually easier than I thought, after selling the relics I had on me and a few consumables (summon stones are worth 10k) I was set.
I'm glad I had a save file before the first fork, saved me almost 40 hours.
I hear neutral is longer than the other 2 paths. By how much? Are we talking 10 hours? 20? My law playthrough took 50 hours.

jgminto

It was actually easier than I thought, after selling the relics I had on me and a few consumables (summon stones are worth 10k) I was set.
I hear neutral is longer than the other 2 paths. By how much? Are we talking 10 hours? 20? My law playthrough took 50 hours.

It's about double the time after
returning to tokyo
plus the time doing sidequests.

Dascu

Neutral content = (most) Law content + (most) Chaos content + Bunch of mandatory challenge quests

jgminto

It's definitely not close to 100 hours. If you were already at 80 hours prior to the fork maybe. My neutral run came to 53 hours but I didn't do all of the non-mandatory side quests.

Jisgsaw

Damn, I thought people talking about close to 100 hours were exaggerating.

They are.
I did most of everything, except Fiend hunting, and I got the neutral ending after 65 hours. And I wasn't especially fast (like I spent 14 hours in the cathedral of shadows, according to the log).

R.I.P

Finished the game last night, took me 68 hours on neutral route. Enjoyed it a lot, though the lack of difficulty was a big disappointment as after getting to Tokyo I could steamroll most bosses in a few turns.
Some of the challenge quest bosses as well both the final bosses did give me a nice enough challenge, but they were still a bit too easy compared to some of the more intense fights in Nocturne.

The story/setting of SMTIV was IMO better than the one in Nocturne. I really liked the post-apocalyptic design of Tokyo, and having a fairly large human population struggling to survive in the demon infested city is more interesting to me than the relatively empty feeling world in Nocturne.

Won't be starting a new playthrough anytime soon as I have Persona Q coming in the mail next week, though I might try to beat
Beelzebub
and maybe do some fiend hunting.

bobohoro

The story/setting of SMTIV was IMO better than the one in Nocturne. I really liked the post-apocalyptic design of Tokyo, and having a fairly large human population struggling to survive in the demon infested city is more interesting to me than the relatively empty feeling world in Nocturne.

That's actually one of the more dissapointing things in SMTIV for me, besides the lack of difficulty. I liked the lonesome feeling of Nocturne, it really felt like a post-apocalyptic world full of nothing but despair sprinkled with few places where some interesting folks managed to survive. IVs Tokyo on the other hand never quite managed to wow me, or even interest me much. The only place that really hit me and made me aware of just how fucked everything is, was (Spoiler for Roppongi 2nd visit, I think, 25hrs in)
the human farm. People being harvested, children being manipulated, lunatics talking about utopia and stuff.

Additionally I dislike the choice system in IV quite a bit right now. You feel pressured into the law/chaos-paths, always being forced to choose between two extremes. Nocturne felt more natural in its story progression towards specific endgame paths and had some choices where you could go against all factions and do your own things. In IV you either get played by demons or become a blind follower of justice, being neutral seems to be more along the lines of balancing out extreme choices than really finding your middleway through the story. Doesn't help that you are constantly partied up with your fellow samurai who, while being kinda charming, are totally one dimensional and don't really grow all that much. Or their constant presence gives you the feeling that they don't grow. In Nocturne, where you meet your old friends only from time to time, those changes are more noticable and make you wonder what their experience was in this world and how they are gonna influence the story in the future.

Ah well, let's see how it all ends. I'm on the chaos path and probably only a couple of hours away from the end, maybe that will manage to turn my opinion around. Right now IV is just a pretty average entry in the SMT-franchise to me, only really excelling in soundtrack and fusion systems.

RDreamer

Trying to finally beat this before picking up Persona Q and man the ending stuff is getting annoying. I've loved the game for a while, but I think it's finally getting to me. It feels like if you just run into the enemy (don't hit them with your sword), you have about an 80% chance of them attacking first... which means you may as well just fucking flee or reset the system. It's so frustrating because when I get the first attack I can wipe the fucking floor with them.

The last dungeon's designs have been fucking terrible, too. The forest and now
Pergatorium...
Who the fuck decided on this warping around bullshit?

Pergatorium
... Who the fuck decided on this warping around bullshit?

Teleporter hell dungeons are practically an SMT staple. They all (or at least the ones I've played) seem to have at least one.

Also, you may want to spoiler the name of it.

I got distracted by Bayonetta
again
and I´m now back on the SMT train .

Medusa is one lucky asshole. Holy shit, she literally blows through my buffs like they are butter....and gets critical hits <.<

Additionally I dislike the choice system in IV quite a bit right now. You feel pressured into the law/chaos-paths, always being forced to choose between two extremes. Nocturne felt more natural in its story progression towards specific endgame paths and had some choices where you could go against all factions and do your own things. In IV you either get played by demons or become a blind follower of justice, being neutral seems to be more along the lines of balancing out extreme choices than really finding your middleway through the story.

This is what I was trying to say above but you worded it better.
Overall I still really like the game though it's definitely not as good as Nocturne.
Regarding your opinion on the setting, I feel that going for the same vibe Nocturne had would've been a bad idea. I think that going for a post apocalyptic Tokyo with a very different vibe was the right choice. Here you still have something resembling a human society trying to function, which provides an interesting contrast with Nocturne's setting.

Jisgsaw

That's actually one of the more dissapointing things in SMTIV for me, besides the lack of difficulty. I liked the lonesome feeling of Nocturne, it really felt like a post-apocalyptic world full of nothing but despair sprinkled with few places where some interesting folks managed to survive. IVs Tokyo on the other hand never quite managed to wow me, or even interest me much. The only place that really hit me and made me aware of just how fucked everything is, was (Spoiler for Roppongi 2nd visit, I think, 25hrs in)
the human farm. People being harvested, children being manipulated, lunatics talking about utopia and stuff.

Strange.
I adore Nocturne, and it's probably my favorite game ever, but I found IV managed to get a similarly excellent atmosphere, even though in a slightly different tone. In Nocturne you are alone, everything is there to kill you (highlighted with the relentlessness of the game, with only a couple of places free of random battles).
In SMT IV, it's more about a surviving world, with its desperate inhabitants.

Have you talked to the NPC much?

Pergatorium...

Well, don't play Nocturne or stange journey then ;-)
But I agree with the BS that are the encounters: it almost only matters who strikes first, unless you have some über demons who repel/null/drain everything (which are quite easy to make).

ramyeon

Trying to finally beat this before picking up Persona Q and man the ending stuff is getting annoying. I've loved the game for a while, but I think it's finally getting to me. It feels like if you just run into the enemy (don't hit them with your sword), you have about an 80% chance of them attacking first... which means you may as well just fucking flee or reset the system. It's so frustrating because when I get the first attack I can wipe the fucking floor with them.

Pergatorium...
The teleport dungeons in SMTIV are really tame and easy anyway. You can pretty much just run around aimlessly for a bit and end up outside the exit in any given room.

It's an SMT staple, but I don't think they've ever been this easy before.

bobohoro

Strange.
I adore Nocturne, and it's probably my favorite game ever, but I found IV managed to get a similarly excellent atmosphere, even though in a slightly different tone. In Nocturne you are alone, everything is there to kill you (highlighted with the relentlessness of the game, with only a couple of places free of random battles).
In SMT IV, it's more about a surviving world, with its desperate inhabitants.

Have you talked to the NPC much?

Mild spoilers for the first ~10 hours:

Talked to everyone I could find, for the first 20 hours I also made sure to talk to every single NPC after every major event. I don't think that the world building is nonexistent, or that the script is bad, it just doesn't quite come together to form a whole coherent setting that really draws me in. I actually think they got it right in the beginning with the central city hub, the dungeons and the build-up to the black samurai, but it kinda falls apart when you enter Tokyo. The world map does nothing to add to the atmosphere, the few real dungeons aren't visuelly impressive or creative and the urban areas get pretty same-y. It lacks direction and a clear, discernable style.

And eeriness. I guess that is the word I have been looking for. Nothing quite makes me feel like this is a dying world, or that I am there to kill or be killed. It's more a post-apocalyptic slice-of-life, going from shelter to shelter and solving the problems of the inhabitants while following a big mysterium going on in the background. Maybe I'm just not really in the right frame of mind to enjoy the things SMTIV set out to do with its story, or I'm wronging the game when I compare it to Nocturne, Strange Journey or Devil Survivor, but it just ends up doing nothing much for me in the settings department.

RDreamer

The teleport dungeons in SMTIV are really tame and easy anyway. You can pretty much just run around aimlessly for a bit and end up outside the exit in any given room.

It's an SMT staple, but I don't think they've ever been this easy before.

Stay clear of the other games lol.

Well, don't play Nocturne or stange journey then ;-)
But I agree with the BS that are the encounters: it almost only matters who strikes first, unless you have some über demons who repel/null/drain everything (which are quite easy to make).

I've played Nocturne (and love the Persona games and DDS1+2, though I know they're a bit different). I never beat it, but I did play like 50 hours of it. I like this game much better. I think the annoyance is mostly coming from having to aimlessly wander in order to get somewhere and not know whether I'm going in circles or not. In the first part of
Pergatorium
I ended up wandering in a circle about 5 times before finding where I needed to go. The forest was the same if not worse. This dungeon is more annoying though because the coloration and stuff is just messing with my depth perception and i'm missing the pre-emptive strike on like every enemy, which means I have to reset a lot.

I'm just more annoyed that the more I play the more things seem completely dependent on whether you got the first strike or not. I dunno if I needed more agility or something, but it seems like it's something crazy for them striking first if you didn't hit them. I don't remember Nocturne being that crazy from what I played.

jgminto

I thought the teleporter sections were actually super easy. The forest from the get go and
Purgatorium
once I got my head around the perspective change.

RDreamer

The biggest problem with those dungeons is a problem with the game in general. You can't get to a map without being in real time. So you can't stare at a map for longer than like 3 seconds without being attacked. It really pisses me off on the world map. I want to look at my fucking map, leave me alone for a second demons!

R.I.P

Additionally I dislike the choice system in IV quite a bit right now. You feel pressured into the law/chaos-paths, always being forced to choose between two extremes. Nocturne felt more natural in its story progression towards specific endgame paths and had some choices where you could go against all factions and do your own things. In IV you either get played by demons or become a blind follower of justice, being neutral seems to be more along the lines of balancing out extreme choices than really finding your middleway through the story. Doesn't help that you are constantly partied up with your fellow samurai who, while being kinda charming, are totally one dimensional and don't really grow all that much. Or their constant presence gives you the feeling that they don't grow. In Nocturne, where you meet your old friends only from time to time, those changes are more noticable and make you wonder what their experience was in this world and how they are gonna influence the story in the future.

I actually liked having the other samurai along for most of the game
as what happens to them during endgame has more impact
, though I do agree that the alignment system is way too obtuse and many of the choices are too extreme. It's also really annoying how you have no way to check your alignment before being locked into a route, it was really just pure luck and trying to balance between the extreme choices that I was able to get neutral on my first playthrough.

jgminto

I actually liked having the other samurai along for most of the game
as what happens to them during endgame has more impact
, though I do agree that the alignment system is way too obtuse and many of the choices are too extreme. It's also really annoying how you have no way to check your alignment before being locked into a route, it was really just pure luck and trying to balance between the extreme choices that I was able to get neutral on my first playthrough.

You can talk to a man in the Hunter Associations about halfway through the game and he'll tell you what your alignment is before it's locked.

R.I.P

You can talk to a man in the Hunter Associations about halfway through the game and he'll tell you what your alignment is before it's locked.

Oh I do know about him, my point was that you lose access to him a few hours before the alignment lock, so there's a fairly lengthy section right before getting locked into a route where you can't check your alignment.

RDreamer

Any tips for the last boss?

I was doing really really well and almost had it defeated until it did like 3 Chariots in a row. Now I keep resetting the fight and getting 2-3 chariots right in a row at the beginning. I can't survive this at all.

jgminto

I was doing really really well and almost had it defeated until it did like 3 Chariots in a row. Now I keep resetting the fight and getting 2-3 chariots right in a row at the beginning. I can't survive this at all.

If you're using reflect skills, don't and get a demon with Dekunda.

jgminto

I don't know what your agility is like on you and your demons but with a few agility increase/decrease skills he'd usually miss at least once when he casts chariot. Otherwise it might be a good idea to go for a more tank filled team.

RDreamer

I don't know what your agility is like on you and your demons but with a few agility increase/decrease skills he'd usually miss at least once when he casts chariot. Otherwise it might be a good idea to go for a more tank filled team.

He doesn't seem to miss much.

Anyway, I did just beat it. It took grabbing a demon with Luster candy. I spammed that and makarakarn every turn pretty much. I also had to have Doping on at all times, and healed between every turn. And some luck. And then there was the crucial fact that one of my important demons had an ability to revive it once if it died. That helped a ton.

Soulhouf

The biggest problem with those dungeons is a problem with the game in general. You can't get to a map without being in real time. So you can't stare at a map for longer than like 3 seconds without being attacked. It really pisses me off on the world map. I want to look at my fucking map, leave me alone for a second demons!

That's why I prefer random encounters.
I can list 10 things I don't like in SMT4 and visible encounters are among them.

Avoid having demons that null/reflect/drain his non almighty attacks. Having that will make him spam almighty instead.
This applies to most of the late game bosses BTW.

Chakabah

Neo Member
Finished the game in Neutral Ending. It seemed so short even though I've got like 50 hours then. I wanted it to last longer. :(

I liked it very much, the atmosphere, the setting, the OST, the story, everything was nearly perfect. I really liked the dynamic between the demons, the ring of gaea, the ashura-kai (yakuzas! yay!) and the kingdom of Mikado. It was very interesting and different from the others SMT who were more "binary" (Messiah/Gaea, Law/Chaos...).

There were some minor details (the alignement system was crap, the guest system too...) but overall it's a solid game.

I'm just disappointed in the DLC, I bought one (Clipped Wings 1) but it was only
two shot boss and not even 5 minutes of cutscene. Are the others DLC as short as this one or not ? Is it worth buying all the story-related DLC (so Clipped Wings, Ancient of One and "that-one-with-masakado-in-it-I-think") ?

Something I didn't quite understand however was the passing of time.
For Tokyo, only 25 years passed since the ICMB (nod to SMT1?) but for Mikado, the King Aquila was 1'500 years ago ? What ? Are the adults in Mikado all lying to the children or what is happening ? And what's beyond the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado ? The rest of Japan ?

Soulhouf

Something I didn't quite understand however was the passing of time.
For Tokyo, only 25 years passed since the ICMB (nod to SMT1?) but for Mikado, the King Aquila was 1'500 years ago ? What ? Are the adults in Mikado all lying to the children or what is happening ? And what's beyond the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado ? The rest of Japan ?

I made a little post about this 2 weeks ago. I hope it's for some help!

bobohoro

Today, while listening to Cult Of Luna, I thought it would be a perfect fit soundwise for a SMT title, sans the growls at the end. Now I really can't think of a RPG that tries some Post Rock/Metal stuff, seems to me to be a good fit however, atmosphere-wise at least. But would probably be a bit difficult to implement because of dynamics, even though there certainly are some possible loop points. Man, while VGM does some amazingly interesting stuff, there really are quite a few possible directions they could go with that would be awesome. A Merzbow-OST for example, just trying to imagine the game that goes along with that is insanely entertaining. But this is going a bit off-topic.

Man I need to finish this, but Persona Q is sitting there, tempting me to give it a spin. Need to be strong.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh, that park in Shinjuku just pours XP at you.

Must. resist. urge. to. grind.

Zareka

Finally got the money to pick this up. I already have it on my NTSC 3DS but I need to start over anyway and it'll be a lot more convenient having everything on the one system.

Now I just need to get a bigger SD card. If I can move the stuff off the card in my US 3DS, I should have enough.

Edit: Sweeeeet, transfer worked! Now I just need to buy it.

Top Bottom