• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

I skipped over this to avoid spoilers, but could someone give me a quick, down and dirty list of Persona games that are worth playing on the old ass PS2? I honestly only played parts of the first on PS1, so it's all new to me. I see 3&4 are cheap enough on amazon, but do any other PS2 Atlus games hold up?

I skipped over this to avoid spoilers, but could someone give me a quick, down and dirty list of Persona games that are worth playing on the old ass PS2? I honestly only played parts of the first on PS1, so it's all new to me. I see 3&4 are cheap enough on amazon, but do any other PS2 Atlus games hold up?

They all hold up very well.

Good to hear. I was tempted to pick up a Vita to play the games, but I still have a working PS2, and having the best graphics are not that important to me.

I'd say start with Digital Devil Saga 1&2.
The Raidou games are pretty good too.
Then you have the absolute pinnacle of the franchise, Nocturne.
If you're going with PS2 play the FES version of P3. Best version. Playing P3P on Vita is always an option but I recomend going with FES.

I'd say start with Digital Devil Saga 1&2.
The Raidou games are pretty good too.
Then you have the absolute pinnacle of the franchise, Nocturne.
If you're going with PS2 play the FES version of P3. Best version. Playing P3P on Vita is always an option but I recomend going with FES.

Hmm, I was wondering about DDS. So get/play that and then Persona 3&4, huh. I went ahead and ordered P3 FES and P4, but I may also get the DDS games on your advice. They're only $15, so I don't mind going crazy and catching up.
I did hear Nocturne is brutally hard, so if there is any truth to that, I'll probably check it out last, after I get an understanding of the series.

Hmm, I was wondering about DDS. So get/play that and then Persona 3&4, huh. I went ahead and ordered P3 FES and P4, but I may also get the DDS games on your advice. They're only $15, so I don't mind going crazy and catching up.
I did hear Nocturne is brutally hard, so if there is any truth to that, I'll probably check it out last, after I get an understanding of the series.

The DDS games are fantastic. They are very, very different from Persona or even SMT in general so playing them before or after is irrelevant.
Yeah, save Nocturne for last. The game is tough.

Maybe play P3, then take a break from Persona and play DDS1&2, then P4 and then Nocturne.
BTW, you mentioned you have a Vita, why didn't you go with Persona 4 Golden? It has a lot of additional content, you should really reconsider.

The DDS games are fantastic. They are very, very different from Persona or even SMT in general so playing them before or after is irrelevant.
Yeah, save Nocturne for last. The game is tough.

Maybe play P3, then take a break from Persona and play DDS1&2, then P4 and then Nocturne.
BTW, you mentioned you have a Vita, why didn't you go with Persona 4 Golden? It has a lot of additional content, you should really reconsider.

No, I don't have one. I was thinking about getting a Vita, but seeing that I can play these on PS2, it'll have to wait until the price is so good I can't say no. To be honest, almost all the games I'd be interested in are PSP games. The system price, plus games, plus accessories, plus memory stick is a turn off for now.

No, I don't have one. I was thinking about getting a Vita, but seeing that I can play these on PS2, it'll have to wait until the price is so good I can't say no. To be honest, almost all the games I'd be interested in are PSP games. The system price, plus games, plus accessories, plus memory stick is a turn off for now.

There are some pretty good deals floating around, keep an eye out. It's easy to find a Vita with a 16gb card and some games for less than 150. After that all you really need is a case and those are dirt cheap. Game prices are reasonable. There have been some good sales on PSN and new retail releases are cheaper than console games.

caesar

Banned
Just bought this on Saturday, I only really play around 2 3DS games a year. First megaten game as well, difficulty seems about right although its really irritating when they get a pre emptive strike. Just got into a Tokyo last night, the two M's were a trip.

Loving it amigos.

Edit: haha what I missed out on the sale. .. dat timing

Nightbird

The game will be on sale this week for €12.99/£11.69

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=148126793&postcount=1162

Are You kidding me? I bought it on Saturday!
Well, doesn't matter since i'm enjoying the Game. It just bugs me that i could have saved enough Money to afford a second eShop Game if i had waited a bit longer.

I have a Question:
Ist the Exp-DLC worth it? I find myself grinding a lot right now, and i want to shorten the Time i'm spending Grinding. Is the Exp-DLC good for this, or does it destroy the Game Balance, because i don't want the Game to turn into a breeze either.

Help me please :/

NeonZ

I have a Question:
Ist the Exp-DLC worth it? I find myself grinding a lot right now, and i want to shorten the Time i'm spending Grinding. Is the Exp-DLC good for this, or does it destroy the Game Balance, because i don't want the Game to turn into a breeze either.

The exp DLC breaks the game if you want, yes. I don't think you really need to grind for exp in SMTIV though. During most of the game, the exp you get from past enemies quickly decreases, forcing you to go to new areas with stronger demons. Anyway, most times, you shouldn't be attempting to level up demons past the point they can't learn new abilities just fuse them. A few rare demons might be worthy keeping around though, but most times you'll just be making the game harder for yourself by attempting to do that.

I'm actually a North American who was late to the party to begin with and then has been moving along very slowly in this game. I enjoy SMTIV, and it's definitely a situation where once I get going I keep returning to it for a few days, but after that it doesn't compel me to continue. Navigating
Tokyo
has been the real draw for me so far. I just met Kaga or whatever her name is on the bridge. Does the game pick up or does it get easier to progress any time soon?

I wish there was more interaction with your fellow samurai.

Well, doesn't matter since i'm enjoying the Game. It just bugs me that i could have saved enough Money to afford a second eShop Game if i had waited a bit longer.

I have a Question:

The only dlc i bought was the one that gives you app points, if you get all the apps you can forget about grinding

Nightbird

Thanks for the Info Guys. I will still hold back my decision for now, but at least i'm not completly in the Dark about the Effects of the DLC now

Rainbowgun said:

Me too. :( I could have bought some DLC or Picross. Oh well, still a good game!

Ikon

I still cant believe this game didn't get a physical release in EU. With this sale though I might pick it up anyway... Or do I import it and start reading up on these new region free methods.... Decisions, decisions...

Nimby

Banned
Fuck, I got locked into the law path when I was aiming for neutral. I must have done a side quest which affected my alignment somehow, but I don't think I did.

The only save I have is right before the fight with Kenji, and destroying the status quo still netted me the law path. Anything I can do right now which can get me the neutral ending?

Fuck, I got locked into the law path when I was aiming for neutral. I must have done a side quest which affected my alignment somehow, but I don't think I did.

The only save I have is right before the fight with Kenji, and destroying the status quo still netted me the law path. Anything I can do right now which can get me the neutral ending?

I don't think so.

The dlc wont be on sale right? Just the game?

NeonZ

Try to refuse to press the button initially. I think going along with it at once adds a couple of extra law points.

ElFly

Guys, I am at the Kill Yuriko mission.

I've gone through the game two times, trying to do the neutral path, but I repicked it up from months ago.

Do I really need to collect all that money.

Guys, I am at the Kill Yuriko mission.

I've gone through the game two times, trying to do the neutral path, but I repicked it up from months ago.

Do I really need to collect all that money.

You mean for that sidequest? Yup. Sell stuff. Certain consumable items are worth a lot of money too. It was much easier than expected for me but I had a magic build so I never used money to buy weapons.

Is there any DLC that is worth buying before I start the game to make it better? Or is it mostly optional content that I can purchase after I beat it?

I'm not interested in the money/exp grinding ones.

Is there any DLC that is worth buying before I start the game to make it better? Or is it mostly optional content that I can purchase after I beat it?

I'm not interested in the money/exp grinding ones.

Other than the grinding ones, they're all endgame/postgame bonus bosses, so no reason to buy them now.

mrsmr2

New to the series.

Does my equipped weapon have any impact on physical skills (or any skills)?

Or are skills purely based on stats?

Soulhouf

New to the series.

Does my equipped weapon have any impact on physical skills (or any skills)?

Or are skills purely based on stats?

Skills are purely based on stats.
Of course if you wear a weapon that increases your dex for example, physical skill damage will increase. That goes without saying.

Nimby

Banned
Try to refuse to press the button initially. I think going along with it at once adds a couple of extra law points.

Still gave me law. I really don't know where I messed up at though, I don't think I talked to the woman in Ikebukuro.

Oh can I return to Blasted and Infernal Tokyo in the Law Route?

Soulhouf

Protip for those who aren't sure about the alignment and want to fix it before the lock in case they screw up:
Before activating the reactor first time, make a backup save. You have enough choices to make between that and the lock to completely reverse your alignment if you wish. In addition, going through Blasted and Infernal Tokyo only takes 2 hours once you know what you're doing, so it's not a big deal to redo it.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I was aiming for neutral on my first play through and ended up on law, regrettably. What I thought were the neutral options in a given situation were actually law alignment - it's only when I read up on it a little afterwards that I realised that there are no neutral options.

Inotti

How long does it take to get into this game? I've only played it like 1,5 hours so far and I'm sad to say that I am bored to tears. I just want to know how long should I play this before just admitting that the game just isn't my cup of tea...

Shiina

How long does it take to get into this game? I've only played it like 1,5 hours so far and I'm sad to say that I am bored to tears. I just want to know how long should I play this before just admitting that the game just isn't my cup of tea...

If by the time you get to Tokyo you still aren't liking it then you can probably put it aside.

Celine

Finally started SMTIV, 5 hours in and I'm really loving it.
What's the best approach for demon fusion?
Should I fuse demons as soon as I can?

Top Bottom