• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Aeana

I'm finding it difficult to play this game for long periods of time, because my body starts to shake every time I get to a new area and it is legitimately exhausting. I just can't communicate how perfect this game feels. It is such a wonderful sequel to the original SMT games.

What level are you? If you can get to level 17, you can fuse Raiju and he'll be amazingly useful against M*****. Also get some demons with zan for that fight.

At 16 you could get hooligan and he would help too. Or you could just equip the white samurai armor from the free DLC. I feel like grinding to such high levels is really beyond the point of the game, though. I didn't get to level 16 until several hours after I passed that boss.

Goby

Banned
25 hours in. Major spoilers below, look at your own risk.
Everything's been picking up fast as soon as I got to Midtown, to the point where I'm actually a bit unsure of what to do next. Choosing to spare Lilith now has me Neutral, but all of those alignment decisions and fast level ups have my fusions out of date and have made me nervous. Think I'm starting to approach the halfway mark of the game, since I've spent some time on sidequests and fusing.

The only thing hard to get is neutral.

Chaos and Law will be obvious.

Also just keep fusing then.

Kenai

Any suggestions for the first "must have" apps? I don't want to spend my hard earned app points.

I can't remember what level you get what unlocked, but I'd definitely recommend at least the basic "regain MP while walking" App. Useful on every build.

MechaX

What level are you? If you can get to level 17, you can fuse Raiju and he'll be amazingly useful against M*****. Also get some demons with zan for that fight.

At 16 you could get hooligan and he would help too. Or you could just equip the white samurai armor from the free DLC. I feel like grinding to such high levels is really beyond the point of the game, though. I didn't get to level 16 until several hours after I passed that boss.

I was only at level 13 when I beat M*****, and it really seemed like I was underleveled. But the random battles were still very much manageable. Like, it just seems so weird in this game how everything so far gives you such low EXP. Even beating
Wu Kong
at level 12 only gave me like 50 EXP.

I keep forgetting I need to redeem that GameStop Samurai Armor code.

Aeana

I was only at level 13 when I beat M*****, and it really seemed like I was underleveled. But the random battles were still very much manageable. Like, it just seems so weird in this game how everything so far gives you such low EXP. Even beating
Wu Kong

I keep forgetting I need to redeem that GameStop Samurai Armor code.
You weren't underleveled, you just suffered presumably because you didn't have resistances to
gun damage. Her most damaging attacks are her two physical attacks which are gun-type, and the white samurai armor resists that.
Just equipping that turns the tide of the battle significantly.

My Jack Frost keeps telling me it's going to transform. What does that mean?
When he hits a certain level, he will turn into a totally different demon. In this case, he'll turn into a
level 25
wendigo when he hits level 20.

CSX

My Jack Frost keeps telling me it's going to transform. What does that mean?

Once it reaches a certain level, it will ask " Do you want me to transform?"
Say yes and your Jack Frost will evolve into a different higher level demon

I believe it evolves to Wendigo

scy

Wu Kong

And then, suddenly, you'll be seeing 200-300 EXP a fight (and then 3000-4000+ for a Quest). It's weird.

vall03

I just realized that you can read the descriptions of the Relics before you sell them and they're surprisingly funny, considering the Samurais have never encountered these modern tech.

Side quest help:
how the hell do u beat David?

I loaded up on Tarukajas and Sukukajas during
the Horde battle, and had Mothman in my party to help nullify Mamudo. I think he's weak to Zio, but I had to make do with Needle Shot and Gram Slice.

you may just need to come back later with higher level allies though.

suzu

Got my game from Amazon today. I was pleasantly surprised that it arrived in near-mint condition after seeing others' bubble mailer disasters in this thread. lol

StatsChu

Neo Member
Found another domain on the world map with a level 75 boss at the end of it. Think...I'm gonna leave that one for later. Did recruit a few of the local fauna while I was in there, though.

Yeah, are you talking about the one with
Erlkonig
at the end? Let me just say that was extremely frustrating.
Bring gun and thunder resistant armor because he just loves to spam the heck out of gun. I learned the hard way since I was wearing the Amazon armor. Ugh. I had Tarunda and Sakunda on another demon so that helped mitigate the damage. Also, Erlkonig is weak to fire, so I spammed the heck outta Agilao. Your rewarded with the Yata no Kagami, one of the three sacred treasures.

The only bad thing is that the dungeon disappears if you beat it. I didn't get all the demons in the dungeon... so I'm going to reset the game.

I loaded up on Tarukajas and Sukukajas during
the Horde battle, and had Mothman in my party to help nullify Mamudo. I think he's weak to Zio, but I had to make do with Needle Shot and Gram Slice.

you may just need to come back later with higher level allies though.

I'm level 25, and most of my party is early 20's.

StatsChu

Neo Member
I'm finding it difficult to play this game for long periods of time, because my body starts to shake every time I get to a new area and it is legitimately exhausting. I just can't communicate how perfect this game feels. It is such a wonderful sequel to the original SMT games.

As fun as it is, I find Project X Zone hard to play for long periods of time. SMTIV on the other hand... I think I started playing this at 11 pm last night and didn't stop until almost 2am!! I haven't put any time into Animal Crossing, MH3U or PxZ since getting this game.

A lot of the new demons have bad designs.

This is my only real complaint about the game I think. Aside from some of the unintentional humor from some facial expressions (Navarre.jpg), the games suffers from the low quality art and designs.

There's some things to like, but I wish it wasn't quite so scattershot.

StatsChu

Neo Member
Can all the monsters evolve in this game? Or is it certain ones? Is there a list on the web? Also, does anyone know how to get the skill mutation app?

Rhodan

Neo Member
Anyone have the locations for the Relics needed for the sidequests given by
Hugo
? Can't seem to find any of the four.

I think they might just be random pickups from Relic spawn points. I've gotten one so far and it was from a regular old relic spawn I had already used 2-3 times before.

Aeana

As fun as it is, I find Project X Zone hard to play for long periods of time. SMTIV on the other hand... I think I started playing this at 11 pm last night and didn't stop until almost 2am!! I haven't put any time into Animal Crossing, MH3U or PxZ since getting this game.

Well, I'm just really overwhelmed. I feel like SMT4 was made for me. It's a lot of factors but I'll be sad when the game ends, for sure.

Can all the monsters evolve in this game? Or is it certain ones? Is there a list on the web? Also, does anyone know how to get the skill mutation app?
No, not all (or even most). And the app shows up eventually... can't remember when.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think they might just be random pickups from Relic spawn points. I've gotten one so far and it was from a regular old relic spawn I had already used 2-3 times before.

Actually they are at certain relic locations and the quest specific relic is guarded by a demon that has their own demon domain.

Beat it to get it.

vall03

Actually they are at certain relic locations and the quest specific relic is guarded by a demon that has their own demon domain.

Beat it to get it.

I don't think the Relic requests are from Demon Domains. I've been beating a lot of them and never got any of the four Relic quests.

TWILT

Banned
About 2 hours in, and man, I knew I'd love it, but this game is really something. While I only just started the game, it might just be my GotY with Fire Emblem.

Can't remember the block count, but I remember it works out to about 1.7 GB.

Thanks. Wish it had been given a bit more room then, smaller than Donkey Kong! 3DS's resolution makes it so the uncompressed video shouldn't be all that big in the first place, oh well certainly not a deal breaker but a bit annoying.

Edit: Jonathan's hair <3 And lol at the pixelated shadows.

i keep dying on some of the most basic of demons. I legit just started and have to constantly reset my game. Anybody got any tips for a newbie. Also some tips for the demon talk would be appreciated.

Vamphuntr

Progressed a bit more today and made it past
Xi Wang Mu
. Did so much sidequests I feel kind of burned for today. Finally have tetrakarn on the MC so I could cheese many of the challenge battles with it.

How does the alignment/choices work in this one? From my understanding it's a bit like the previous mainline games as the game will keep a tally of your choices and it might block paths when you actually reach the point where you have to make your decision? I've read conflicting information about that. Some are saying Chaos/Neutral are always available while only Neutral is hard to get.

Is it balanced like Strange Journey where you actually fight the same amount of bosses on each path or is it more like Nocturne where one is actually much better because of the side dungeon and skills you get?

Top Bottom