• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Varna

Probably shouldn't be in
ikebukuro
at level 20 huh...

Are transformations just random? Jack Frost turned into Wendigo... and since I didn't have any physical skills he is pretty much worthless now. :/

Varna

DAMN.

Just got into a fight with a group of 3... Killed the first 2, second begged for his life. I told him to become my ally but since he was to high he called a friend. 7000 exp. :O

Vamphuntr

Tarunda : Saving lives when the boss does megaton press all the time

Tetrakarn is more elegant :p

I think I'm at the point where I feel really overpowered. The last boss I fought was
Asmodeus
and I killed him in like 2 turns. I finally feel comfortable using the compendium all the time as I have the app that cut the cost by half.

I have to say the dungeons are disappointing so far. All were really, really simple structure wise.

totowhoa

Banned
Early tough boss

Any tips on beating
Medusa
?

Need zan/zanma + buff/debuff spells. I took her down at level 14 without too many problems. Definitely buff your evasion and then do what you can to raise your defense and/or lower her attack (preferably both). Make sure you buy some armor for the MC to resist her zionga and also try to get somebody in there who can drain/null it as well to burn her press turns. You can probably get by with a pretty similar setup, but this is how I went about it. Edit: definitely make sure you have a couple of people with media as well, since she will deal a fair bit of damage to your whole party every turn. Healing Knowhow was also a handy skill for me in this fight too, so I could revive a downed healer and get them back in the game in a single turn, or get my MP back up with chakra drops from all my magic usage.

abrack08

Just picked this up at Gamestop, my first mainline SMT. I've played Persona 3 and 4 and the Devil Survivor DS game (which I stopped because I don't really like SRPGs). Can't wait to start it up

What is better, Rakukaja or Rakunda? I have Zhu Tun She with Rakunda, but thinking of getting Knocker for Rakukaja....

It's not a matter of what is better, but what will work in X situation, Rakukaja (in my opinion) works best if you have 2-3 demons and your MC that plan on using for the whole battle and will benefit long enough from the def up buff to survive a few hots from a boss.

Rakunda works well if you're trying to increase damage dealt to the enemy or boss and are not worried about the caster dying after a turn or two should everything not go your way.

that's my take on it

totowhoa

Banned
What is better, Rakukaja or Rakunda? I have Zhu Tun She with Rakunda, but thinking of getting Knocker for Rakukaja....

Rakukaja is better in most situations. Tarunda is even better, because the enemy attack will stay down even if you have to bring in new demons (vs. having to recast rakukaja 3 times to get essentially same effect for the demon entering the battle).

Rakunda is nice, but it doesn't (necessarily) keep your characters from dying, which I think is higher priority. It just helps the boss go down quicker. I definitely think defense is the better strategy *most* of the time, though I've definitely gone the full offensive approach for a fast win in tough battles sometimes (though not in this game yet).

GeekyDad

Ha, ha! Just heard the funniest line yet from Isabeau. Involves the Black Samurai, and I'll leave it at that. That was an awesome scene!

Rakukaja is better in most situations. Tarunda is even better, because the enemy attack will stay down even if you have to bring in new demons (vs. having to recast rakukaja 3 times to get essentially same effect for the demon entering the battle).

Rakunda is nice, but it doesn't (necessarily) keep your characters from dying, which I think is higher priority. It just helps the boss go down quicker. I definitely think defensive is the better strategy *most* of the time, though I've definitely gone the full offensive approach for a quick win sometimes.

Ok thanks, I'm trying to prepare my party for the
minotaur and medusa
fights and its kind of a pain figuring out what demons to get.

Also, when do I get a chance to whisper spells to Flynn? Is it only when the demon learns a new spell?

totowhoa

Banned
Ok thanks, I'm trying to prepare my party for the
minotaur and medusa
fights and its kind of a pain figuring out what demons to get.

Aside from the spells that exploit their weakness and some essential healing spells, I highly recommend these skills:
rakukaja/tarunda/sukukaja. Sukunda would be nice too, but I'm just past those bosses and I haven't seen the skill yet. It's all about making your party able to take their hard hits + up their dodge so that the boss will lose their press turns sometimes and save you from a lot of damage.

I'm not going to regret using all these incense on my character am I?

As long as you're not using them on pixie or something :p

Aside from the spells that exploit their weakness and some essential healing spells, I highly recommend these skills:
rakukaja/tarunda/sukukaja. Sukunda would be nice too, but I'm just past those bosses and I haven't seen the skill yet. It's all about making your party able to take their hard hits + up their dodge so that the boss will lose their press turns sometimes and save you from a lot of damage.

As long as you're using them on pixie or something :p

awesome, thank you. Just fused a knocker for dat sweet rakukaja.

Other than that github tool are there any decent wikis or anything out for this game? the strategy book it came with is painfully shallow...

totowhoa

Banned
awesome, thank you. Just fused a knocker for dat sweet rakukaja.

Other than that github tool are there any decent wikis or anything out for this game? the strategy book it came with is painfully shallow...

Not really that I know of. When games are this new I just throw some terms into Google and hope a thread from GameFAQs pops up. Usually works out for me.

Varna

A team of Agi users and Bad Company (for those that die in the 1st strike) takes him out in one turn.

I've been trying this actually with a couple of demons that null bullet attacks... yeah, about 4 turns and he is not dead. I have Ubu, Pyro Jack and Raiju and the MC using fire attacks.

EDIT: Just got it. It was 100% luck though. MC and another demon died on the first turn. The rest of the fight consisted of the demon using up his turn to use a bullet based attack which was nullified. If we would have done any other kind of attack I would have been screwed!

I just beat (~8 hour spoiler)
Minotaur.
The fight wasn't as tough as I thought it would be, but I may a bit over-leveled. Awesome game so far.

So I was wandering around in Naraku and when I talked to a gryphon
it gave me a quest to slay Sun Wu Kung.
. How many of these
hidden quests
are there and do any have story progression limits ?

Solune

Finally got my copy yesterday

SMTIV.jpg

Frosteey

Neo Member
I asked this before but I don't think I got an answer, do you guys recommend the app skill Skill Augment?

Probably. An early tetrakarn or makarakarn makes a bunch of early stuff a joke. And you're always getting extra chances for a null/repel/drain passive to fuse off.

A lot of area transitions also have huge jumps in experience gains where like every single demon in your stock will get a noticeable chunk after every battle so skill mutations will just be raining down upon you for a few levels.

It seems like the only "bad" apps are health regen (demon stock for dia/media and healing items are pretty much limitless), demon mp cost down (waaaay too expensive for the benefit).

Fusion level +1 is also probably a bit too expensive for what it gives you generally. I mean, the bonus is fine but the AP costs are insane.

Not sure about the conversation options beside recruiting and money. Trade might be okay for rare item farming, but seems kind of bad if the items you get are similar to the ones you get from the app where you get items from recruiting.

Don't really see any point to negotiate with Trafuri and just being able to talk to any demons in your stock to end fights, unless there is some super secret that makes it good.

vall03

I was doing very very well yesterday and today I just got two wipes in a matter of minutes. I encountered this weird Domain in
Ginza
that is not really a dungeon but just contained
three Ghouls
Whats even more annoying is that they had 6 Press Turns and I got obliterated since they had the first strike and kept getting additional turns. Didn't pursue it afterwards, but I entered another Domain. Pretty straightforward as usual and the boss at the end was
Alciel
which I know is weak to Phys and Blocks all elemental attacks. I was doing well until Jonathan ruined it by casting a Bufula that gave it a smirk and then proceeded to obliterate me again with Titanomachia. Fuck you Jonathan!

Top Bottom